Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's a big shame that some shit-head has chosen to write 'Fukwits' next to our Union Flag.

1630915499925.png

Just relish in the fact that the shithead is a moron who cannot draw an ellipses on their computer :)

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
So because it’s encircled it’s not a independent nation! You might have to pass through France/ Spain but once in surely you are out of EU.
No. The linked Wikipedia article explains how Andorra functions as though it were an EU Member State via various agreements. The main item in the Article for this discussion is 'Other Agreements' which show that Andorra accepts people who have right of entry to either France or Spain and Andorra therefore follows the Schengen convention or priniples [albeit, being allowed to issue extended visas].The following sub section 'Border Controls' refers to Andorra maintaining a Border with the EU, but, with visitors needing to enter via France or Spain, its visa entry requirements operate in the same way as though it were actually a Schengen Member.

'A rose by any other name', and all that!

Andorra function as though Schengen Member State

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Our friend has secured a visa with Portugal . She just had to provide proof of a short term Villa rental (6 months of the year). And income to cover her day-to-day. It last for 5 years.

But she is unsure if it covers her for other countries ?
I don't think it will, I believe she will still be limited to 90/180 in other Schengen countries, however I have no idea how that would be policed, she would probably have to leave and enter via Portugal unless France or Spain accept the Portuguese visa for transit.

Deleted User
I don't think it will, I believe she will still be limited to 90/180 in other Schengen countries, however I have no idea how that would be policed, she would probably have to leave and enter via Portugal unless France or Spain accept the Portuguese visa for transit.
Correct.
You are permitted to use the visa to visit other Schengen countries observing the 90/180 day stay rule.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Correct.
You are permitted to use the visa to visit other Schengen countries observing the 90/180 day stay rule.

It seems to me that as long as you enter and leave Portugal, presumably by air, then you could have 9 months in Schengen - 6 months Portugal and 90 days elsewhere.

Will Portugal enter the six-months onto the Schengen/ETAIS computer system? If not and one were stopped in France in month 4 there could be a problem. So maybe the 90 days in other Schengen countries is risky.

Geoff

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Our friend has secured a visa with Portugal . She just had to provide proof of a short term Villa rental (6 months of the year). And income to cover her day-to-day. It last for 5 years.

Sounds more like residency to me, not a visa. And has tax implications as well as driving licence and vehicle registration procedures to be followed, as well as a requirement to remain in Portugal for specified time limits.
And no, still limited to 90/180 if a U.K. citizen in other schengen countries except Portugal. ( although not actively policed as no borders🤪)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years

I would love more information on where she applied and the costs if that’s possible xx

Deleted User
It seems to me that as long as you enter and leave Portugal, presumably by air, then you could have 9 months in Schengen - 6 months Portugal and 90 days elsewhere.

Will Portugal enter the six-months onto the Schengen/ETAIS computer system? If not and one were stopped in France in month 4 there could be a problem. So maybe the 90 days in other Schengen countries is risky.

Geoff
The visa does not affect your 90 days in other Schengen countries from my reading of the various eu information guides. You could enter Portugal from France/Spain which would count as your Schengen days (travel through these countries), but also travel out of Portugal through whatever means into another Schengen country. All the non-Portuguese visits are counted 90/180. The Portugal stay is not relevant as your visa covers this country (so long as you are within the visa period of validity)

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
I would love more information on where she applied and the costs if that’s possible xx
From what I can remember of the short term Visa when we thought that I would have to apply for one to accompany Elaine [Irish passport holder], the 'proof of residence, proof of employment [family joke that she would employ me as gardener and chauffeur ....], proof of income and/or capital plus adequacy of health insurance etc seem to be pretty bog standard criteria

Steve

Deleted User
I have Portuguese residency, I am limited to 90/180 days in other Schengen countries.
As far as I am concerned this is non enforceable and I shall ignore it as I did when we were in the EU and as countless thousands of EU citizens have done for years. I am aware that the rules are slightly different for them.
Once in the Schengen area it would be very difficult but not impossible for someone to keep track of your whereabouts and very unlikely for anyone to care unless you are a very naughty person :giggle:
Even then nobody seems to care much!

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
I have Portuguese residency, I am limited to 90/180 days in other Schengen countries.
As far as I am concerned this is non enforceable and I shall ignore it as I did when we were in the EU and as countless thousands of EU citizens have done for years. I am aware that the rules are slightly different for them.
Once in the Schengen area it would be very difficult but not impossible for someone to keep track of your whereabouts and very unlikely for anyone to care unless you are a very naughty person :giggle:
Even then nobody seems to care much!
Not sure that you're right re 90/180 days. The EU Regs for non EU residents travelling with an EU spouse give an example where a stay of some 8 months within Schengen is legal. Exceeding the 180 days in one country would make you resident for tax purposes, but with an EU passport, Freedom of Movement etc, you can travel within the EU without having to use a calculator! You lucky person! Or have I missed something re your residency and having a different [UK?] passport? I'm dying to find out!

Steve

Deleted User
Not sure that you're right re 90/180 days. The EU Regs for non EU residents travelling with an EU spouse give an example where a stay of some 8 months within Schengen is legal. Exceeding the 180 days in one country would make you resident for tax purposes, but with an EU passport, Freedom of Movement etc, you can travel within the EU without having to use a calculator! You lucky person! Or have I missed something re your residency and having a different [UK?] passport? I'm dying to find out!

Steve
I have a UK passport, I am a citizen of the UK with residency in Portugal, as such I have certain rights under the withdrawal agreement.
I have the right to reside 365 days a year in Portugal and 90/180 days in the rest of the Schengen zone.
I have no intention of spending 180+ days in another Schengen state or indeed 90/180 but I won't be counting the days when I am out of Portugal but within Schengen as realistically nobody will know unless I fly, which I won't.
The only time I will need to watch is time spent out of Schengen as they will know.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Steve
Yes you have . matamoros & I are permanent eu residents but under the Withdrawal Act (WA) we have been scammed . we no longer have the right to stay in one eu state for 89 consective days then go next door like an EU citizen does & you, as an EU citizens hanger on. We are now lower than non-eu spouses of EU citizens. We only have 90 days in total in any other eu state same as UK residents. What we do have though is a residency card meaning no one should have the slightest interest in us.
. The EU Regs for non EU residents travelling with an EU spouse give an example where a stay of some 8 months within Schengen is legal.
Yes you have greater legal travelling rights now, than us residents.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Yes you have . matamoros & I are permanent eu residents but under the Withdrawal Act (WA) we have been scammed . we no longer have the right to stay in one eu state for 89 consective days then go next door like an EU citizen does & you, as an EU citizens hanger on. We are now lower than non-eu spouses of EU citizens. We only have 90 days in total in any other eu state same as UK residents. What we do have though is a residency card meaning no one should have the slightest interest in us.

I am not an EU citizen 'hanger on'; I am legally married to a lady who happens to hold an Irish passport, and we were married whilst she still had a UK passport. But thanks for the information re your travel rights.

Steve

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Couple of points, your passport has a long barcode on it this is swiped every time (normally) when you pass through control. Just because it is not stamped doesn’t mean there is no record of your entry/exit from the zone. Not saying it will happen but heavy fines and banning are two of the possible punishments for overstaying. Also where you spend more than 183 days in any one year can be deemed your country of residence and taxes. France do a tourist type visa for up to a year (again watch out for the 183 days) you have to fill in an application send it of, this will entail a visit to the French embassy (in our case London) sign a declaration that you will not undertake any paid employment, proof of return ticket, proof of sufficient funds, and an address. 99 Euros. In our case we have a cottage not sure about touring. And at least three months left on your passport past the date of return. This visa does not count against the Zone days.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Permanent residency for me also as well as OH but after 3 years and much paperwork and interviews it looks like my French nationality will be confirmed by Christmas so hurrah and as EU National all changes :)

Apr 5, 2012
Rowlands Castle
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Sorry i cant assist with Spain. The one I am considering is in France through the French consulate office. I don’t know if it would be transferrable to other Schengen areas in the EU. Is there anything on the Spanish consulate site?
Did you appply for a tourist visa Chazzer? How difficult was it?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
So if your 180 days are up whilst you are in Spain and then it starts again, can you do 90 days back to back , as long as you have spent 90 days in the previous 180 out of the Schengen x
If we could do that a lot of us would be happy bunnies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back