90 days abroad (1 Viewer)

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
View attachment 528826This is also worth bearing in mind. Apparently sufficient credit on a credit card is acceptable and it’s ‘per person’
It’s probably not going to be robustly enforced but worth a belt and braces approach. Similar arrangement for Spain.
This was not even questioned when we arrived with a one way ticket 3 days ago. Nor was the level of our health insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 14, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 1998
Can anybody work this out??
Used Schengen calculator and It said I still had days left.
Going to Spain 10th April to 29th of June 80 days
Home 30th June to 1 September 61days
Going out 1st of September travelling through Schengen area for 10 days,
Staying in non-Schengen area for 76 days then home again HELP

Deleted User

76 days in non Schengen country will take you to around 26th Nov, w0rkback 180 days gives around 26th May, in that 180 day period you have been in the Schengen area for 45 days so you will have 45 days left.

That's the way that I see it, does your calculator agree?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
And it never has been , its fearmongering
People read something on line and believe it..Bit like taking food out in your van..With all that's going on I think customs have far more important things to carry out than look for FB pies.
BUSBY..

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
People read something on line and believe it..Bit like taking food out in your van..With all that's going on I think customs have far more important things to carry out than look for FB pies.
BUSBY..
Well it is a little more than that Busby, the rules are pretty clear and transparent. It is up to the individual to decide if they want to break that particular law, and to take the consequences, whatever they may be if found out. We were asked if we had anything to declare. As we were taking quite a lot of stuff down to the boat, the value of which was probably a little over our allowance, we were not about to wind him up over pack of bacon or some illegal milk or cheese.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
And it never has been , its fearmongering
From our Gov website which is a straight translation from French one. Just quoting facts.

Attachments

• 1BF9B24F-06E2-457B-BDD3-4A8ECA1DB67C.jpeg
    1BF9B24F-06E2-457B-BDD3-4A8ECA1DB67C.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 52
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
From our Gov website which is a straight translation from French one. Just quoting facts.
There are facts and then there is reality. We ve been travelling in and out of France for over 40 years so well before EU and we ve travelled to lots of countries outside the EU and have never been asked this and I genuinely doubt many have.

Deleted User
Where would you be getting that visa from? As as far as I am aware, no such thing exists...
Hi Molly, I replied to a question a bit similar to this shortly after it was posted on this thread. Basically it is 80 Euros (not 96 as I stated) if you apply for an extended Visa through the French consulate. Travelling is included as a reason (although the term tourism is not), but there are a number of hurdles in terms of where you will be staying, and financial means to support yourself, etc.. to overcome to get an extended period. You can go through their Visa wizard on the French consulate for London website. I am seriously considering doing this myself next year, to cover a split trip to France, covid and testing permitting. I do not want to line the coffers of get rich covid testing companies, so will wait for that to pass or settle down.

If I manage to succeed (or not) I will post the result here!

Best of luck

Chas 😀

Deleted User
Possibly an easy way of calculating this (plain rounded brackets are Shengen days):

To calcuate how many Shengen days you have when you leave the UK for your 10 day trip to the non-Shengen area:
(80) + 61 = 141 days, of which you have only (10) days of your (90) days in Shengen area allowance left in the last rolling 180 days (assuming when you started your trip to Spain you hadn‘t been in the Shengen area for the previous 39 day Period).

If your travel to the non-Shengen area is (10) days then you have no wriggle room, if it takes you (11) days you will be one day over!

To calculate the position at the end of your entire intended period;

(10)*+ 76 + (10) + 61 = 157 days total rolling period, and all the days before the 157th day up to your 180 rolling period {180-157= 23 days} were also in Shengan (in Spain) therefore your total Shengen count at the end of your period is (10)+(10)+(23)=(43 days). (90)-(43) = (47); therefore you will still have (47) days IN ADDITION to your final (10) days travel back to the UK (after your (10) return days) to stay in Shengen if you wanted. Just be sure this will not impact on any future planned stay if you extend though.

*[assuming it also takes you 10 days to return to UK through Shengen area]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Still doing my head in..If I entered Schengen on June 2 nd and exited on 20 July and then re entered Schengen on 8 th Sept,, when do I have to exit again to be legal..BUSBY.

Deleted User
Still doing my head in..If I entered Schengen on June 2 nd and exited on 20 July and then re entered Schengen on 8 th Sept,, when do I have to exit again to be legal..BUSBY.
Off the top of my head I would say 42 days after the 8th Sept which would be around 18/19th Oct

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Off the top of my head I would say 42 days after the 8th Sept which would be around 18/19th Oct
That's what I thought,,Previous explanations scrambling my tired old brain..BUSBY🙂🙂

Deleted User
Schengen dates in brackets:

June 2nd to 30th inclusive = (29) days used
July 1st to 20th inclusive = (20) days used
Total Schengen so far (49) days.

Allowance of (90) days, (90) - (49) = (41) days remaining.

If you re-entered Schengen on 8th Sept, then (23) days in September ( 8th to 30th inclusive) leaving you (18) days in October. You will need to be out of Schengen no later than midnight on 18th October.

Your initial allowance days do not drop off until day 180 from 2nd June. Therefore 1st June + 180 days = Nov 28th

[ June = 29 + July = 31 + Aug = 31 + Sep = 30 + Oct =31 + Nov = 30 ] = 182 days

Errors or Omissions Excepted!!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Well now ,,,short of trawling through ALL the relevant rules/regulations/advisories etc etc ,,has anyone actually overstayed and been caught out ??
If so ,,,what happened ,,did the vehicle get seized, were you put in jail,, were you fined,,slapped on the wrist ,,or WHAT ?? !!
Someone in the Cruising Association has been fined €600 for overstaying 4 days, apparently. The choices were pay the fine or not return for 4 yrs.

My recent experience of Spanish immigration who stamped my passport despite having been shown a Portuguese residency document prior to handing over my passport would leave me to believe that they do not know their a**e from their elbow!
Ditto here by the French border control when we gave him our British passports and Greek residency cards

So perhaps instead of a Motorhome I should invest in a boat and stay under the radar x
You still have to check in and out of countries

This was not even questioned when we arrived with a one way ticket 3 days ago. Nor was the level of our health insurance.
Same here.

Hi Molly, I replied to a question a bit similar to this shortly after it was posted on this thread. Basically it is 80 Euros (not 96 as I stated) if you apply for an extended Visa through the French consulate. Travelling is included as a reason (although the term tourism is not), but there are a number of hurdles in terms of where you will be staying, and financial means to support yourself, etc.. to overcome to get an extended period. You can go through their Visa wizard on the French consulate for London website. I am seriously considering doing this myself next year, to cover a split trip to France, covid and testing permitting. I do not want to line the coffers of get rich covid testing companies, so will wait for that to pass or settle down.

If I manage to succeed (or not) I will post the result here!

Best of luck

Chas 😀
Interesting. If you had such a visa I wonder if you’d still have 90/180 to travel to other countries or your entire entitlement would be used in France 🤔

We have Greek residency so can stay as long as we want in Greece, leaving our 90/180 to use travelling elsewhere. However, this means we will have to search for border staff to physically check us in and out of Greece as in the past there have been none in evidence when boarding /disembarking the ferry. We will also keep all ferry tickets, boarding cards, fuel receipts etc as the onus will be on us to prove we were there for that period, and not still in France.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Just a thought, now every tick‘s a tock with the day count on Schengen, I bet the evening crossing out and the morning crossing back are nearly empty, I mean who would waste a day getting stamped at 10pm at night and 8am coming back, it’d be a waste of two days surely🤷‍♂️

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Just a thought, now every tick‘s a tock with the day count on Schengen, I bet the evening crossing out and the morning crossing back are nearly empty, I mean who would waste a day getting stamped at 10pm at night and 8am coming back, it’d be a waste of two days surely🤷‍♂️
Good point!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Offagain said

'Someone in the Cruising Association has been fined €600 for overstaying 4 days, apparently. The choices were pay the fine or not return for 4 yrs.'

I am surprised they did not say they were at sea for 4 days outside Schengen territorial waters.

I used to do similar when Greece used to tax a boat if it stayed in Greece more than a year. You could leave and come back the next day. I plotted a route on a chart and just went to a bay. They never questioned it, because I think they knew everyone was 'at it' and they knew they could not prove otherwise. Anyway the tax would not have gone to the Port Police Christmas Party so why should they cars.?

I hear they have tightened up on paperwork and the charge per month for being in Greek waters, but not onshore.

Geoff

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Offagain said

'Someone in the Cruising Association has been fined €600 for overstaying 4 days, apparently. The choices were pay the fine or not return for 4 yrs.'

I am surprised they did not say they were at sea for 4 days outside Schengen territorial waters.

I used to do similar when Greece used to tax a boat if it stayed in Greece more than a year. You could leave and come back the next day. I plotted a route on a chart and just went to a bay. They never questioned it, because I think they knew everyone was 'at it' and they knew they could not prove otherwise. Anyway the tax would not have gone to the Port Police Christmas Party so why should they cars.?

I hear they have tightened up on paperwork and the charge per month for being in Greek waters, but not onshore.

Geoff
Yep you pay a cruising tax based on length overall of Yr boat. Sub 11.99 metres it is 33 euros a month but over 12 metres it is 100 euros and upwards on a sliding scale. Mine is 12.70m ....🤨🤨🤨

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Offagain said

Geoff
Hi, just out of curiosity. Did the offender get fined as he was leaving the schengen zone or on re-entry?

Deleted User
Yes, apparently the visa does allow you to travel to other Schengen countries with the 90/180 rule, without affecting the stay in the visa country for the duration of the visa. The visa does not impact on your 90 day allowance in other Schengen countries. You will need to do the official research first though, rather than rely on some bloke on the internet!😂

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Hi, just out of curiosity. Did the offender get fined as he was leaving the schengen zone or on re-entry?
I'm told the fine or ban will be due upon his attempt to re-enter.
Ye

You will need to do the official research first though, rather than rely on some bloke on the internet!😂
Always!

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, apparently the visa does allow you to travel to other Schengen countries with the 90/180 rule, without affecting the stay in the visa country for the duration of the visa. The visa does not impact on your 90 day allowance in other Schengen countries. You will need to do the official research first though, rather than rely on some bloke on the internet!😂
Given that the 6 month tourist visa allows a stay in France, and there should be no other border checks within Schengen, does it provide an opportunity for a longer stay than 90 dys throughout the rest of Schengen thst is technically undetectable provided you enter/exit Schengen via France on your visa?

I'm not saying I would want to game the system of course...but I'm sure some bright spark will.

Let's say you spend a month in France, and 4 travelling elsewhere in Schengen and then a month in France before returning. Who's to know? And you've still got 90 days to spend in Schengen.

Or am I missing something?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back