IMG_1069.jpeg
IMG_1065.jpeg
IMG_1082.jpeg IMG_1080.jpeg

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
maz - thanks for posting the link to the "52 places" Slovenia blog.

His writing style is a bit pretentious and self-absorbed, but some of his suggestions to visit are interesting. We've been here about a week and visited about 7 or 8 so far.

Loving Slovenia. Currently in Lake Bohinj. We've posted regularily on the Photo of the Day thread. The scenery is stunning and the people really welcoming. 👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
maz - thanks for posting the link to the "52 places" Slovenia blog.

His writing style is a bit pretentious and self-absorbed, but some of his suggestions to visit are interesting. We've been here about a week and visited about 7 or 8 so far.

Loving Slovenia. Currently in Lake Bohinj. We've posted regularily on the Photo of the Day thread. The scenery is stunning and the people really welcoming. 👍
If you get as far as the southeast of Slovenia you are welcome to park up at our place. We are at Bizeljsko near Brežice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
If you get as far as the southeast of Slovenia you are welcome to park up at our place. We are at Bizeljsko near Brežice.
Thanks maz - that's really generous. No plans to visit the south east of Slovenia at the moment, but we're away for another 6 weeks or so and on our way back through Croatia we maybe coming close to you. If we do, I'll send you a message.

Thanks again. 👍

Reactions: maz
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Maz, we enjoyed Slovenia although it's some time ago now. I particularly wanted to see the stuff by Jose Plecnik in Ljubljana and we enjoyed visiting his house there. (He is seen as the Gaudi of Slovenia). The other highlight for me was the Postojna cave and the olms!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If we go back we will come and find you!!!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz, we enjoyed Slovenia although it's some time ago now. I particularly wanted to see the stuff by Jose Plecnik in Ljubljana and we enjoyed visiting his house there. (He is seen as the Gaudi of Slovenia). The other highlight for me was the Postojna cave and the olms!
Ah yes, the baby dragons. :wink:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks maz - that's really generous. No plans to visit the south east of Slovenia at the moment, but we're away for another 6 weeks or so and on our way back through Croatia we maybe coming close to you. If we do, I'll send you a message.

Thanks again. 👍
Very few people do plan to visit southeast Slovenia - it's well off the usual tourist trail. However, here in Bizeljsko we do have repnice (underground ex-turnip stores now used as wine cellars) and the quirky Bizeljsko Castle with its equally quirky resident host Adam/Bojan. :rofl:

Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
A guy called John W Bills has a section on his website called ‘52 Places in Slovenia’ although so far he has only got to number 34. His take on places is quite amusing as well as informative, so might appeal to Funsters heading to Slovenia.

52 Places in Slovenia

I have put this post in the Croatia, etc forum but have noted that Slovenia does not get a name call anywhere. Jim , perhaps you can rectify this please? :Smile:
Maz
Many thanks for this. We are very likely to visit in 2024, so lots to think about.
These type of posts really only require positive replies. Nothing gained for anyone from anything else!
Alan Mona Owner 😄👍

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT620
Not sure if my contribution is still valid after nearly 18 months but having read through the "52 places in Slovenia" link I was staggered that there was no mention (yet) of one of the world's earliest and greatest tourist attractions.

The Postojna caves have been attracting International visitors for 200 years.
Today they attract 1m visitors a year.
They extend in total about 25 kms although the tourist bit is about 5 kms long and reached by an underground train.

The sheer scale and beauty of the cave system with it's many rooms is jaw dropping and is certainly one of the most memorable places I have ever seen.

We camped immediately outside the main gate and were some of the first in.
Most definitely worth a detour if you are in that part of Europe.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Not sure if my contribution is still valid after nearly 18 months but having read through the "52 places in Slovenia" link I was staggered that there was no mention (yet) of one of the world's earliest and greatest tourist attractions.

The Postojna caves have been attracting International visitors for 200 years.
Today they attract 1m visitors a year.
They extend in total about 25 kms although the tourist bit is about 5 kms long and reached by an underground train.

The sheer scale and beauty of the cave system with it's many rooms is jaw dropping and is certainly one of the most memorable places I have ever seen.

We camped immediately outside the main gate and were some of the first in.
Most definitely worth a detour if you are in that part of Europe.
As you say, no mention of Postojna caves yet - but he's still only covered 34 out of the target 52 places so far.

If anyone's in that area then Predjama Castle is well worth a visit too.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Wish I'd seen this before. We have just come through Slovenia but only found 2 places! Lake Bled and Ljubljana. I admit we weren't trying very hard - really just on route to Bosnia where we are now. We will pop into Slovenia's bitmof coastline on our way back.

Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Wish I'd seen this before. We have just come through Slovenia but only found 2 places! Lake Bled and Ljubljana. I admit we weren't trying very hard - really just on route to Bosnia where we are now. We will pop into Slovenia's bitmof coastline on our way back.
I'd be interested to hear any recommendations of good spots you find in Bosnia & Herzegovnia too please VXman

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011