maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
A guy called John W Bills has a section on his website called ‘52 Places in Slovenia’ although so far he has only got to number 34. His take on places is quite amusing as well as informative, so might appeal to Funsters heading to Slovenia.

52 Places in Slovenia

I have put this post in the Croatia, etc forum but have noted that Slovenia does not get a name call anywhere. Jim , perhaps you can rectify this please? :Smile:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Slovenia is quite plesent but never felt the urge to go back there.
We spent a lot of couple of days in Slovenia and also struggle to get the urge to return. It is pleasant but nothing overwhelming [edited] particularly exciting .

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We visited for a couple of days on our way to Croatia, it’s nice and to start off with we were going back after Croatia but had second thoughts and are in Italy.

We did Bled Lake early morning as it was 29-31 during the day and to hot, cannot say I would have it on my must visit again list.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We found Ljubljana a great place to visit & felt we could return numerous times. Lake Bled was beautiful to walk around the lake but I think the National Park it sits in will have more places to visit & walk when we get the chance. I can see us stopping always on the way to Croatia, especially when we get a 3.5t van Re the toll collection situation which is much easier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Slovenia is quite plesent but never felt the urge to go back there.

We spent a lot of couple of days in Slovenia and also struggle to get the urge to return. It is pleasant but nothing overwhelming [edited] particularly exciting .

We visited for a couple of days on our way to Croatia, it’s nice and to start off with we were going back after Croatia but had second thoughts and are in Italy.
That’s ok - this thread is obviously of no interest to you so why bother to post in it? :unsure:

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie

We did Bled Lake early morning as it was 29-31 during the day and to hot, cannot say I would have it on my must visit again list.
I see the sat nav’s rectified it’s problem Mark. 😁😁

Apparently, not me though. Still Spanish. Lol 😆

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
That’s ok - this thread is obviously of no interest to you so why bother to post in it? :unsure:
Because I was a bit curious to know if I had missed anything of significance in Slovenia. I dislike whizzing through places without exploring them and was hoping to find some things that would encourage me to explore the country better next time we're in the area.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Because I was a bit curious to know if I had missed anything of significance in Slovenia. I dislike whizzing through places without exploring them and was hoping to find some things that would encourage me to explore the country better next time we're in the area.
And you found nothing among the 34 places? Perhaps Slovenia appeals to the more discerning traveller then. :wink:

Aug 10, 2018
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 680
Exp
Im a Newbie
Hi Maz thanks for this we would be interested in the post. We are in Croatia at the mo and may go back via Slovenia. Really appreciate it if you could kind regards sue and lance

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz thanks for this we would be interested in the post. We are in Croatia at the mo and may go back via Slovenia. Really appreciate it if you could kind regards sue and lance
Hi Sue and Lance. If you click on the bold blue text in my initial post it will take you straight to the website I mentioned.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
And you found nothing among the 34 places? Perhaps Slovenia appeals to the more discerning traveller then. :wink:
I didn't say nothing in the 34 places - I've visited a few of them but I won't put any of the others on my "must do list".

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
That’s fine - the website will probably appeal to those who like exploring more quirky out-of-the-way places rather than tourist hot spots.
Try Bosnia and Herzegovina when you're in the Balkans next.

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi loved Slovenia, very friendly people. done a pub stop on search for sites ( Gostilna Pri Kovacu) had a wonderful set 3 coarse meal, best beef cheaks we have ever tasted. Ljubljana is a beautiful city to see.
Would definitely return to Slovenia and spend more time there.
MicknMew

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Well I’m intending to spend some time there in a few weeks so the 52 places link is very handy thanks.
As to liking a place or not it’s just down to your interests I guess. I’m not a great lover of the Costa’s but many others are.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Although I've toured Slovenia twice on my motorbike, sadly not yet in the motorhome, I found the people very friendly and welcoming, the scenery is beautiful and it's refreshingly unspoiled by tourism in most places. I wish the excellent "54 places" website had been available before my last visit.

I've now got the urge to visit again !

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thanks for this, I’ll take a gander when I’ve finished cleaning the van. I am setting off towards Croatia on Wednesday and was going via Switzerland but the weather ain’t too great, but is much better in Slovenia and Croatia, so I was gonna plan a few days in there. I too have been numerous times on the bike to the Triglav mountains and Soča valley (Bovec and Kobarid) and never fails to impress me, but all that part of Europe is my favourite (Carinthia, Triglav and the Italian bit round Tarvisio). So I might just be somewhere there around the beginning of next week :Grin:

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
I was driving from Turkey to UK and crossed a narrow strip of Slovenia into Austria. I had only been in the country for about 30 minutes when I got pulled over by a traffic car and got a penalty for several hundred euros for displaying the wrong visa. He explained that my camper was a self build and the log book showed it to be a commercial vehicle. He offered a cut price if I paid it there and then.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018

Firstly thanks for posting this thread , BUT I think it is important to get everyone’s opinions
not just a one sided view , asking people only to leave positive feedback & refrain from leaving their honest opinions takes away the value of the thread

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Firstly thanks for posting this thread , BUT I think it is important to get everyone’s opinions
not just a one sided view , asking people only to leave positive feedback & refrain from leaving their honest opinions takes away the value of the thread
I get what you are saying but this thread wasn’t started to ask for people’s opinions of Slovenia. It was to draw attention to a website describing places that may be of interest to those who do want to explore Slovenia.

We didn’t think much of Croatia but I don’t feel the need to post that opinion in any thread about Croatia.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Ok I confess Ive not read the link I’ve been far too busy, BUT I’m sat here in Žerovnica in Slovenia having a great time, spent last night in the soča valley, now here and off to Croatia tomorrow….. but I will read it👍

I need to come back to Slovenia, it truly is a stunning country with friendly people, I need to come back in the future and spend some time here instead of rushing through 👍

Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Went to Slovenia in 2019 - loved it! Best experience was when we cycled to a local winery for some tasting, and the proprietor there told us of a place to go for dinner - Round the back of someone’s house where the whole village was getting together that evening. So welcoming, lovely people.

Also stealth camped at the railway station near Lake Bled and did the summer toboggan there (which Eddie Izzard did on an episode of TravelMan)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back