Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

benscott72

Free Member
Jan 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Michael1
Hi guys I have a Benimar Europe 6000st 2002
Just recently when I plug in my hook up cable it dosnt even recognise it or switch to 240v
Dosnt charge leasure battery and does nothing
Leasure battery goes dead in about 4/5 days
I’m a bit stumped as to what is going on
The only thing I changed before this happened was my Speedo cable and spread sensor
I don’t thing it’s related maybe just coincidence
Just wanted to give you all the details
I have checked plug and wires on my body and that seems fine
And there is Definately power on the hook up cable
Please help 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

Nothing to do with you speedo cable as you have guessed, you should have a trip switch after the power comes into the van, do you know where this is? might be worth switching them off and back on again to make sure that they are all on properly.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Well worth the investment. The pen sensor is really useful in allowing you to check where the 240v actually gets to before it doesn't get any further.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

benscott72

Free Member
Jan 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Michael1
Hi

Nothing to do with you speedo cable as you have guessed, you should have a trip switch after the power comes into the van, do you know where this is? might be worth switching them off and back on again to make sure that they are all on properly.
When you say trip switch do you mean the fuse box
I have switched them all off and back on

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
How does the power get from your consumer unit ( trip switches) to your charging unit? Check that connections and if it plugs into the charging unit check that. Do you have any mains sockets? Are they working?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
When you say trip switch do you mean the fuse box
I have switched them all off and back on

Trip switches,something like this 🤞

EAEBE8CF-C27C-4E68-A15F-3B014D93B7A0.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Push the test button on the RCD, if nothing happens it's likely no power is getting to the van. What is the connection on the post like can you try a different outlet?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
One of those trip switches in the fuse box has a 'Test' button. That's the RCD switch. If you push the test button, the switch should flip off immediately. If it doesn't, as The Ex-Gasman says, no power is getting to that RCD switch.

There are various possible faults. The favourite is a loose connection in one of the hookup cable connectors, because that gets moved around and pulled. How are you checking that the cable is OK?

A couple of useful item are a blue plug to 13A adapter, and a 13A socket tester.
BlueTo13AUKAdaptor.jpg13ampsockettester.jpeg
You can test the hookup post first, then the hookup cable. Then test the sockets in the MH.

If the cable is OK, the next question is, does the RCD test button flip the RCD off, or not?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

benscott72

Free Member
Jan 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Michael1

Well worth the investment. The pen sensor is really useful in allowing you to check where the 240v actually gets to before it doesn't get any further.
Yes this was my next job
A whole day running through system
Just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before
How does the power get from your consumer unit ( trip switches) to your charging unit? Check that connections and if it plugs into the charging unit check that. Do you have any mains sockets? Are they working?
no marina sockets are working at all

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If the RCD doesn't flip off when the test button is pressed, and you're sure the hookup and cable are working, then the fault is between the mains inlet socket and the RCD. A loose connection on the socket, or even mice chewing the cable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

benscott72

Free Member
Jan 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Michael1
If the RCD doesn't flip off when the test button is pressed, and you're sure the hookup and cable are working, then the fault is between the mains inlet socket and the RCD. A loose connection on the socket, or even mice chewing the cable.
This is my next step, strip back and check
Plug, and cable are perfect

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, don't forget that the trip switches need to be switched upwards not sloping down.
If you have power on your mains lead then you have the trips switched down which is off.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Yes this was my next job
A whole day running through system
Just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before

no marina sockets are working at all
So van isn't charging and no mains sockets working. The problem is in your cable or the plugs or a very outside chance the mains hook up plug in the van. Have you tried a different cable? That would be easiest way to prove where the problem is. Just poking around with no testers isn't the way to go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

benscott72

Free Member
Jan 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Michael1
So van isn't charging and no mains sockets working. The problem is in your cable or the plugs or a very outside chance the mains hook up plug in the van. Have you tried a different cable? That would be easiest way to prove where the problem is. Just poking around with no testers isn't the way to go.
Hook up cable is good
I have tried another
Plug is new (but could be faulty )I will test at weekend

Just need to run through the system to check everything

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The RCD test is important, it tells you whether the fault is before or after the RCD. First, with the hookup cable connected, does the RCD stay on when you turn it on, or does it turn itself off?

If it turns itself off, switch off all the other trip switches (MCBs) and try the RCD again. If it stays on, the fault is after the RCD. If it still turns itself off, then it's a faulty RCD, or there's a wiring fault or water in the fusebox.

If the RCD stays on when you first turn it on, press the test button. If it flips off, there is power getting to the RCD. If it doesn't flip off, there is no power getting to the RCD.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
You keep saying everything is 'good' but have you actually powered a device using either of your EHU cables with an adapter such as the one autorouter suggested.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If we're doing ' have you actually got' questions

Have you actually got a motorhome? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back