2014 Boxer 130 HDI .. temperature sensor not working / missing ... is the DPF regen affected? (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
We've just picked up a new-to-us Bailey Autograph on a Boxer base. The temperature gauge on the dash just shows three dots, and there's a hole under the offside mirror where I think there ought to be a temperature sensor after having done a lot of 'research', i.e. an hour on Google. A recurring theme is that the absence of the sensor, usually because a non-original offside mirror has been fitted after damage to the original, can cause the DPF regeneration to fail.

I've spoken to the dealer and they have arranged for the van to go to their service agent, but they are telling me the DPF is not affected. I've seen a video on this forum that suggested the opposite, so I'm looking for some credible proof either way.

Can anyone assist?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I don’t know if this helps but after a flat cab battery the temperature gauge stopped displaying. I disconnected the cab battery for 30 mins and when I reconnected it displayed and worked correctly afterwards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
our Ducato is not fitted with outside temp sensor and has a dpf. i have seen the video in question but i must admit to being not completely convinced that it has a significant effect on the regen process.

it certainly does not in our case.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I have certainly heard that on some vehicles the outside temperature is needed for the regen. I can believe that external temperature has a bearing on the process.
I agree, checking Multiecuscan all x250,x290 2,3 have the body ecu ability to read a mirror temp sensor weather fitted or not

OP
OP
Trevor Wbm
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Thanks all. I'll see what their service garage says. Our local Peugeot commercial garage offers a diagnostic service and free safety check, so may use them if I'm still not convinced.

Meanwhile, very happy with the new(er) van, already booked by Grandson 2 for Go-Karting support duties.

Head scratcher

Free Member
Apr 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 2016
We've just picked up a new-to-us Bailey Autograph on a Boxer base. The temperature gauge on the dash just shows three dots, and there's a hole under the offside mirror where I think there ought to be a temperature sensor after having done a lot of 'research', i.e. an hour on Google. A recurring theme is that the absence of the sensor, usually because a non-original offside mirror has been fitted after damage to the original, can cause the DPF regeneration to fail.

I've spoken to the dealer and they have arranged for the van to go to their service agent, but they are telling me the DPF is not affected. I've seen a video on this forum that suggested the opposite, so I'm looking for some credible proof either way.

Can anyone assist?
Our 2016 Boxer has same issue but we have a temp sensor in the mirror but it reads around 40c when it’s around 8 or 9c
We’ve had the van go into limp mode 4 times in 18 months all on long runs with engine revs kept fairly high as always conscious of it now but only stumbled upon the temp sensor problem recently and the effect it can have on DPF Regens hence limp mode and AA assistance !!!
I’m going to try and replace the sensor myself by cutting the in place sensor wire from the plug and attaching and soldering and heat shrinking the new one in place but I’ve actually plumped for an NTC thermistor rather than the original one as these appear to be much more reliable so if all goes to plan I won’t need to replace the whole wing mirror unit and save a lot of money 🤞

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the sensor does contain an NTC thermistor, but be aware that different types have different temperature gradients. Put simply the resistance varies with temperature and different models give different outputs

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
Our 2016 Boxer has same issue but we have a temp sensor in the mirror but it reads around 40c when it’s around 8 or 9c
We’ve had the van go into limp mode 4 times in 18 months all on long runs with engine revs kept fairly high as always conscious of it now but only stumbled upon the temp sensor problem recently and the effect it can have on DPF Regens hence limp mode and AA assistance !!!
I’m going to try and replace the sensor myself by cutting the in place sensor wire from the plug and attaching and soldering and heat shrinking the new one in place but I’ve actually plumped for an NTC thermistor rather than the original one as these appear to be much more reliable so if all goes to plan I won’t need to replace the whole wing mirror unit and save a lot of money 🤞
They are less than £30 from Fiat for genuine one. Part number is here on forum some where. I posted it but cant get to it in my records at the moment.

edit here it is
For any one who needs a sensor the fiat part number is A0001375410080 and I paid £27.18 inc vat for mine in Jan 2022. Northern Commercials Brighouse

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Since my original post here i investigated further and posted elsewhere a full post.
Ducatos pre 2020 do not use the mirror sensor for regen. The mirror sensor is read by the BCM or BSI (peugeot terminology)low speed canbus. The ducato has ambient temp sensor AIF in the MAF read by hi speed can in engine ecu. Different engine ecus are used in Fiat P&C so may even be a different MAF. The P&C adblue engine do use the mirror sensor. The ducato adblu engines i'm not sure (why use a slow speed for engine control when have been using high speed and MAF for years), but, there is a separate Ducato adblue module that also has a tank temperature sensor and measures temp at the injector. Hope this doesnt confuse

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back