19 year old 'new' spare tyre (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I mentioned this on another thread but last year I asked my tyre fitter to remove the spare wheel from under my 18 year old MH as I knew I wouldn't be able to do it at the roadside.

The wheel itself was really rusty but the tyre was still new, full tread with the bobbles still on it, fully inflated. I now keep it in the MH 'garage'

Prompted by a post on here yesterday I checked the date on the tyre 05/01

I'm in Spain at the mo wondering if the tyre is safe to use in an emergency or if it could legally be fitted anyway.

The wheel and tyre have obviously spent all their lives under the van - shouldn't an MOT inspection have noted this? .. the van's had enough of them!

Have you checked your spare lately?

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
What's a spare? My manufacturer, in their infinite wisdom, decided to put the water tank where a spare might be leaving nowhere to put one. Fortunately, in 9 years, I have not needed one..... Famous last words!

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
What's a spare? My manufacturer, in their infinite wisdom, decided to put the water tank where a spare might be leaving nowhere to put one. Fortunately, in 9 years, I have not needed one..... Famous last words!

You might be OK - apparently (touch wood) mine hasn't had a puncture in 18 years..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Our first Burstner Aviano didn’t have a spare.

We only found out following a blow out on the M20 when the AA man broke the news.

I can’t tell you how much hassle it was to sort out.

If you can I would find a way to carry a spare.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The spare doesn't come In to the mot test so it wouldn't be checked.

As some have said above many vans don't even come with a spare now.

It hasn t been on the van which would help but probably still aged.
But as an emergency tyre to get you to a garage it would probably be fine to keep it as a spare.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
@Barclaybasher I agree with you, I thought that anything fixed to attached to a vehicle at the time of the mot had to be in servicable and working order, unlike here in France. You can bet your bottom dollar that should you have need of the wheel, fit it, and it pops you could be in the doodoo.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@Barclaybasher I agree with you, I thought that anything fixed to attached to a vehicle at the time of the mot had to be in servicable and working order, unlike here in France. You can bet your bottom dollar that should you have need of the wheel, fit it, and it pops you could be in the doodoo.
To be honest the mot tester doesn't even look at the dates on the tyres either as it isn't part of the test. They check for matching type size etc on an axle , tread and sidewalls , punctures or cracks. The age doesn't come In to the test either.
Whilst they reccomend changing tyres between 5 and 10 years it isn't a legal requirement. So I doubt any of the testers in the 15 years have even glanced at the spare tyre

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@Northernraider that really surprises me and yet I believe it's a fail if the rear window screen wiper on an estate is not working. Ah well, "the rules is the rules" as they say.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
When I replaced the van tyres at 10 years old I did think about the spare. Should I replace it too? Then I thought about it and decided that if I got a puncture and had to put the spare on, would I want to trust my family to an unsafe tyre on a van that weighs over 3 tons? I replaced all 5.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
That was one of the things we never liked when Janie had her Smart car, no spare wheel. :rolleyes:
I have had to change motorhome wheels a few times in the last 11 years, and on one occasion it took them three days to get (I decided on two tyres ). :eek:

I have spent many hours sat in a truck, waiting for tyre fitters and sometimes police to cone off the carriageway. :rolleyes: :LOL: Bob.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That was one of the things we never liked when Janie had her Smart car, no spare wheel. :rolleyes:
I have had to change motorhome wheels a few times in the last 11 years, and on one occasion it took them three days to get (I decided on two tyres ). :eek:

I have spent many hours sat in a truck, waiting for tyre fitters and sometimes police to cone off the carriageway. :rolleyes: :LOL: Bob.
The only ones that seem to carry a spare wheel now are foreign registered trucks. Cost and weight seems to be uk truck concerns.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
When I was doing scrap, I carried a spare on the unit, until we had tag or mid lift units. :D
I have taken a wheel off an empty trailer and strapped the axle up to get me home, after a barney at a tyre place after he took the tyre off and only wanted to sell me a new one. :rolleyes:
Having a dozen at home, he was not going to rob me. :LOL:
Anyway Janie had a nice trailer, and was an expert with super singles. :cool: Bob.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
When replacing tyres, the one that is the best of those to be replaced, becomes the spare, so it's never more than a few years old, and it is stored internally away from UV light and road crud. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Look at the amount of vehicles that carry the silly little spare wheel and if needed advise not going over 30 until you get original repaired or replaced - i'd use an out of date tyre like yours in an emergency and get original tyre repaired or replaced - but i would stick to probably 30 till i got original tyre sorted - certainly would not buy a new tyre to sit under van for another few years

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@Northernraider that really surprises me and yet I believe it's a fail if the rear window screen wiper on an estate is not working. Ah well, "the rules is the rules" as they say.
Aye but you need that for reversing safely in bad weather so that's fitted and in use so is tested. The spare wheel isn't fitted to the vehicle it's simply being carried so doesn't come In to it

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Never needed mine and it's 13 years old.

It's brand new in terms of looks etc and I'll keep it just for emergencies.

Wonder if we've all jinxed it now and there'll be motorhome's all over the side of the roads needing puncture repairs.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
To cut down on weight you could just carry a spare tyre without the rim.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You should not have said that:LOL::LOL::(:(BUSBY

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
18 years and never neaded? That has just confirmed the reason why I have never carried a spare wheel. How many others are wasting their time and money?
Wouldn't think of going anywhere without a spare, so far this is the first van we have had without getting a punture, so far.
Last van new tyre got a puncher in first 50 miles.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I noticed the small print in my breakdown cover specified I must have a spare tyre. I am replacing two tyres now. I’ll throw the better of the two in the “cave”. Another 12kg on the back axle that I could well do without!

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Wouldn't think of going anywhere without a spare, so far this is the first van we have had without getting a punture, so far.
Last van new tyre got a puncher in first 50 miles.

How many different ways do you know to spele puncture? :D

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I Got a nail in my tyre , first day on my 400 mile drive home , it was on the tag axle ,bye the time I got home it was 11pm so never noticed it till the next morning , I now have a spare wheel in the garage, BUT it does help having 1200kg pay load

I also bought tyrepal so I know what’s going on with the tyres

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It is gamble and you can be unlucky but I'm happy to play the odds as I've not had a puncture in any vehicles for 20 plus years - and I don't think I could change a wheel on this monster.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is gamble and you can be unlucky but I'm happy to play the odds as I've not had a puncture in any vehicles for 20 plus years - and I don't think I could change a wheel on this monster.
You are living on borrowed time.:cautious:

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
When we bought our MH, my first one, I did not check the tyre age.
Replaced all 4 service tyres because they were getting on for 10 years old.
I did not replace the spare because it's out of the way of UV etc.
In an emergency I would use it but then replace asap.

I have tested getting it released from underneath by the rear axle beam (Ducato)
That's an achievement in itself.(y)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Luckily, mine is sat in the garage, dry, clean out of UV danger and an expensive extra bit of weight I hope I never need. Really don't like changing wheels ... always happens when it's peeing down and blowing a gale, why never in the sunshine

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hey I've not needed a condom in months but I still carry one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reminds of the two five year old girls walking home from school...

First little girl says,

"Guess what? I found a condom behind a radiator at school today..."

Second little girl says,

"What's a radiator?"

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries