10 Year LPG Tank / Cylinder Testing/Inspection/Replacement (1 Viewer)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
This subject is now becoming more prevalent in the Leisure vehicle industry, many underslung LPG tanks and user owned Refillable cylinders are now either over 10 years old or rapidly approaching this age .

We have just recently received a communication from Liquid Gas the LPG trade body regarding this subject as users / owners are approaching them for clarification on this.

They have now confirmed that the 10 year test / replacement is applicable to all privately owned tanks / cylinders.

You can be sure that this subject is being discussed by many in the industry so insurance companies will at some point be aware also .

We as a company here at Autogas 2000 Leisure Ltd have always maintained that not only should an underslung tank be serviced / inspected annually but also tested / replaced / valves replaced @ 10 years.

A couple of suppliers Alugas. / Gaslow do offer recertification , valve replacement but in Germany with Alugas.

There is actually only 1 remaining commercial gas cylinder testing company in the U.K. , they are not set up to test small volumes of cylinders.

LPG pump operators also have a duty to ensure they aren’t filling out of date / test / inspection , cylinders or tanks.

There has definitely been some interesting interpretations on this subject by certain suppliers and definitely some owners users .

In conclusion the reality is testing is not possible ,so replacement with either new or recertified cylinders is the only sensible solution.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Okay so when I get back from Spain in March I will take up the floor in my van, remove the insulation, disconnect the filler pipe disconnect the copper pipe to the regulator, unbolt the Autogas 2000 Caratank from its lugs and so on. There has to be an easier way unless your tank is only safe up to 10 years.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
So for the annual inspection / service is this just a look at the outside of the cylinder, possibly as part of a habitation check? Or what does the service actually mean?

For scuba cylinders (which no doubt operate at much higher pressures - often 230 bar), inspection involved removing the valve so the inside could be checked for corrosion. Inevitably, the failure point on these tanks under future tests became the neck as the thread would start to wear. The LPG 10 year test is presumably hydraulic, similar to scuba, where the cylinder is over pressurised (perhaps 1.5 times normal) and they check dimension tolerances aren't exceeded. In scuba it wasn't uncommon to need the cylinders shot blasted inside due to corrosion, and also as some would have gas mixes involving pressurised oxygen which vastly increased flammability with heat of the filling process if there was any dirt/grease that had got into the tank from poor use. Scuba cylinder tests were visual 2.5 years and hydraulic every 5 years.

I suppose the real question is how will the LPG fill station be able to check the cylinders are in test? In scuba you directly handle the tanks so can see the markings stamped into them. For LPG you aren't going to get attendants climbing under motorhomes.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I can sort of see that underslung tanks could suffer from corrosion with the environment they're in but in a gas locker!

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Basildog - Do you know what would be involved in re-certifying a tank?

All the valves are easily available and fairly cheap, plus usually easily accessible. Just wondering if it was viable, if it were available as a service?

(thinking underslung tanks rather than bottles)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This subject is now becoming more prevalent in the Leisure vehicle industry, many underslung LPG tanks and user owned Refillable cylinders are now either over 10 years old or rapidly approaching this age .

We have just recently received a communication from Liquid Gas the LPG trade body regarding this subject as users / owners are approaching them for clarification on this.

They have now confirmed that the 10 year test / replacement is applicable to all privately owned tanks / cylinders.

You can be sure that this subject is being discussed by many in the industry so insurance companies will at some point be aware also .

We as a company here at Autogas 2000 Leisure Ltd have always maintained that not only should an underslung tank be serviced / inspected annually but also tested / replaced / valves replaced @ 10 years.

A couple of suppliers Alugas. / Gaslow do offer recertification , valve replacement but in Germany with Alugas.

There is actually only 1 remaining commercial gas cylinder testing company in the U.K. , they are not set up to test small volumes of cylinders.

LPG pump operators also have a duty to ensure they aren’t filling out of date / test / inspection , cylinders or tanks.

There has definitely been some interesting interpretations on this subject by certain suppliers and definitely some owners users .

In conclusion the reality is testing is not possible ,so replacement with either new or recertified cylinders is the only sensible solution.
This has prompted me to have a quick look at mine, which was originally a factory fit although I think it has been replacdd at some point. I can't see any obvious corrosion. It's very well protected which probably helps it but I'm also interested how it could be tested?

I also have an underground Lpg tank which has been buried for 22 years and has recently been approved to carry on using.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It’s interesting that the LPG tank in my garden has not been tested although it’s been in place around 30 years, certainly the owners of the tank Flogas don’t seem to be bothered.
It was Flogas our ex-suppliers who tested ours. Glad we moved Carvers are better in every way.

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Here’s the blurb from Gaslow re: recertification:

How does the re-certification or Replacement cylinder Scheme work?​

Option1

Gaslow can offer you a like for like cylinder re-certification scheme, where you return to us your Gaslow cylinder for re-testing and we will supply you with a replacement identical to your returned cylinder which has been tested for a further 15 years. The cost of this service is £99.00 inc vat per cylinder.

In addition to this we are pleased to offer 20% discount on any other Gaslow products purchased on the same invoice as the cylinder replacement, from Gaslow at out Loughborough premises.
We would advise that you take a photo of your cylinder/s and note the cylinder serial number and date stamp. Email the images and information to us at Gaslow with your contact details to confirm your cylinder/s meet the refurbishment criteria.
Please always contact us before travelling to ensure that your cylinders have met the exchange criteria and we have the correct cylinder in stock for you.

Please note that in order to use the Re-certification scheme your cylinder must comply with certain conditions. See bottom of page for details.

Option 2

Gaslow can also assist with a cylinder replacement scheme, all that is required is the you return your cylinder to us at Gaslow International. In return we will offer you brand new, non-refurbished cylinder at a discounted rate of whichever size or type replacement you choose with 20% off the Gaslow retail price. In addition to this we are pleased to offer 20% discount on any other Gaslow products purchased on the same invoice as the cylinder replacement, from Gaslow at our Loughborough premises.
We would advise that you take a photo of your cylinder/s and note the cylinder serial number and date stamp. Email the images and information into us at Gaslow with your contact details to confirm your cylinder/s meet the refurbishment criteria.
Please always contact us before travelling to ensure we have the correct cylinder in stock for you.

Please note that in order to use the Cylinder replacement scheme your cylinder must comply with certain conditions. See bottom of page for details

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
the way I read the post from Basildog there is only 1 company in the U.K. that can re-certify the bottles?
I have Alugas so I'll just go via Germany on a trip, €180 for refurbishment while you wait for €200 exchange for a new bottle so half the price of buying a new bottle. Twice the price it used to be as they have completely changed the type of valves on the bottles.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Does this mean that a duty of care will fall onto the major suppliers eg Calor, for those who supply their cylinders for the purpose of supplying gas.
For example, I have a Calor cylinder at home. It is owned by Calor and I do not own or rent it. I take it they will contact me to let me know I need to return the cylinder to them for inspection and testing as it approaches the ten year date? I don’t know when it was last tested and, as I neither own nor rent it, assume the responsibility for testing and associated administration is their responsibility? (Uplift and replacement of cylinders requiring testing etc?)
The cylinder refill agreement makes no mention of any timescales as regards testing nor any responsibilities which customers have in that regard etc.
If there is a risk associated with the use of a cylinder that has not been tested for ten years I assume these companies will be contacting many of its customers?

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
I have Alugas so I'll just go via Germany on a trip, €180 for refurbishment while you wait for €200 exchange for a new bottle so half the price of buying a new bottle. Twice the price it used to be as they have completely changed the type of valves on the bottles.
Thanks Lenny, we have Gaslow and the blurb I cut/pasted seems to be similar. £99 per re-certified cylinder Or 20% off a new one.

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Does this mean that a duty of care will fall onto the major suppliers eg Calor, for those who supply their cylinders for the purpose of supplying gas.
For example, I have a Calor cylinder at home. It is owned by Calor and I do not own or rent it. I take it they will contact me to let me know I need to return the cylinder to them for inspection and testing as it approaches the ten year date? I don’t know when it was last tested and, as I neither own nor rent it, assume the responsibility for testing and associated administration is their responsibility? (Uplift and replacement of cylinders requiring testing etc?)
The cylinder refill agreement makes no mention of any timescales as regards testing nor any responsibilities which customers have in that regard etc.
If there is a risk associated with the use of a cylinder that has not been tested for ten years I assume these companies will be contacting many of its customers?
The expectation is that an exchangeable cylinder will be refilled by the owner of the cylinder ( Calor etc ) they then have the opportunity to inspect the cylinder and remove any from service that require recertification.
They don’t expect a customer to keep a cylinder at home for 10 years 😂
They also have a derogation that allows them to keep their cylinders in operation for 15 years as they are regularly inspected.
No surprise that Calor really doesn’t seem interested in the Leisure market.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Can you please tell me where in Germany the Alugas supplier is? €180 for refurbished or €200 for a new bottle, I'd go for the new bottle and spend the additional €20. Good idea to do the exchange on a visit. Not been to Germany yet though have many German friends all off whom have offered parking space if required. Our Alugas bottle expiry date is 2027 so will wait a while. I imagine that, between now and then, lots will change, including prices.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
The expectation is that an exchangeable cylinder will be refilled by the owner of the cylinder ( Calor etc ) they then have the opportunity to inspect the cylinder and remove any from service that require recertification.
They don’t expect a customer to keep a cylinder at home for 10 years 😂
They also have a derogation that allows them to keep their cylinders in operation for 15 years as they are regularly inspected.
No surprise that Calor really doesn’t seem interested in the Leisure market.
For the sake of discussion… whose responsibility is it to get it tested. Assuming that it was last tested seven years before a customer collects it then that leaves a three year ‘at home’ period. I’m sure most will agree that this is probably not uncommon.
If the guidance is testing and inspection at ten years then I assume the responsibility lies with the owning and issuing company?
If it is not then inspected by them for say, five years, due to being in a customers care does the derogation for ‘regular inspection’ still apply? A five yearly visual inspection?
It’s all a can of worms!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
So, do I have to replace all the hoses as well?

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I thought that the testing and certification in some form for LPG is already in place for the mobile catering vans and trailers.
That’s a yearly Gas Safe inspection that all commercially used catering vans / caravans and Motorhomes / campers etc require.
Gas Safe guys wouldn’t have a clue what a refillable gas tank / cylinder even was 😂

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Thanks Lenny, we have Gaslow and the blurb I cut/pasted seems to be similar. £99 per re-certified cylinder Or 20% off a new one.
Just bear in mind that offer is for the older style Gaslow cylinders, not the new multi valve cylinders.
I will be on the Gaslow stand at the NEC so will catch up on all the latest news.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can you please tell me where in Germany the Alugas supplier is?
They ask that you email them for an appointment two weeks before.

Vertrieb von Gasflaschen GmbH & Co. KG
Industriepark Pferdsfeld 214
D-55566 Bad Sobernheim

Telefon: +49 (0) 6756 9111-0
Fax: +49 (0) 6756 9111-22

Schreiben Sie uns eine E-Mail: info@alugas.de oder benutzen Sie unser Kontaktformular. Wir melden uns umgehend bei Ihnen.

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Basildog - Do you know what would be involved in re-certifying a tank?

All the valves are easily available and fairly cheap, plus usually easily accessible. Just wondering if it was viable, if it were available as a service?

(thinking underslung tanks rather than bottles)
Not viable in any way.
Most underslung tanks are beyond saving when they are 10 years old.
Removing the valves alone can be a complete nightmare.
Refillable LPG tanks and bottles are essentially a cheap product that provides convenience and potential cost savings for consumers.
Since I took over at Autogas 2000 we tell customers to accept that the tank / cylinder has a 10 year life .

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Not viable in any way.
Most underslung tanks are beyond saving when they are 10 years old.
Removing the valves alone can be a complete nightmare.
Refillable LPG tanks and bottles are essentially a cheap product that provides convenience and potential cost savings for consumers.
Since I took over at Autogas 2000 we tell customers to accept that the tank / cylinder has a 10 year life .
I find some of the comments made here quite amusing.
So 11 years ago Autogas sold me a cheap product just for my benefit and to save me money.
Love the one about 10 year old tanks being beyond saving.
Business must be bad at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back