“The wife” (2 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
SHE is an ignorant person's referral without the coutesy of giving a woman her name. .. SHE is the cat's mother. . Grrrr
She may be the face I can’t forget
A trace of pleasure or regret
May be my treasure or
The price I have to pay

She may be the song that summer sings
May be the chill that autumn brings
May be a hundred different things
Within the measure of a day

She may be the beauty or the beast
May be the famine or the feast
May turn each day into a heaven
Or a hell

She may be the mirror of my dream
A smile reflected in a stream
She may not be what she may seem
Inside her shell

She who always seems so happy in a crowd
Whose eyes can be so private and proud
No-one’s allowed to see them
When they cry

She may be the love that cannot hope to last
May come to me from shadows of the past
That I remember
'Till the day I die

Charles Aznavour (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I refer to mine as the current wife. Keeps her on her toes.😀

Edit: Oops, didn't see the joke was made earlier. Sorry. Must read the whole thread!
Repeat after me: I must read the whole thread, I must read the whole thread.......

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
My old boss said his wife complained she didn’t have a tittle tittle like him so she became domestic management.
When we moved into married quarters in Germany the girl next door reported my wife for not mopping the stairs properly. After running a hospital ward being told how to mop floors didn’t go down well verbally. I was dragged in front of the families officer and put on a charge for my wife’s attitude. We didn’t stay long. Being married was ok but not in the army.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
What is it with folks on the forum who refer to “The wife”? I can understand “The M25”, The Eiffel Tower” or “The Houses of Parliament “ but surely you have more of a personal affinity to “Your wife”? The person you have been married to for many years, or am I missing something.
Never thought of calling "The Old Girl" one of those, the M25 may be a good one as when we "discuss" things she can go round and round and get nowhere!
Oops got to go as THOP is calling.:swear:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I find wench rolls off the tongue nicely, Old English for an old English floosie

But 70 years ago Grandad used to call me and my big sis 'my little wenches' - and backed that up with a threepenny bit each weekly - and at the time male teenagers' girlfriends were referred to as their wenches - so it does not automatically always indicate a female of sexually accommodating standards, though that was solely their business anyway and knob all to do with anyone else.

Make what you will of my internet forum alter ego - Trophywench - merely indicating that I am the female partner of Trophychap. Surname Chapman, bought a Triumph Trophy 1200 - what other Trophy Forum handle should he have chosen? Singularly appropriate I think.

Anyway, sorry, but to me the term 'the wife' in either speech or writing actually conveys not at all a sense of endearment but of possession similarly regarded as much the same as eg 'the car' 'the house' 'the vacuum cleaner' 'the sink etc' and usually demonstrates a lack of education and proper use of the Queen's English.

I can only speak as I found when growing up and at work and my social circle then and now.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
To me The Wife means exactly that The Wife not just any old wife but a special wife therefore she gets the title of The Wife as she is special. If you understand this then please explain it to the wife she just doesn’t get it. That’s wives for you😂😂😂😂

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Just refer to her as the *First Mrs ,( Insert your Surname here) usually works !

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
What is it with folks on the forum who refer to “The wife”? I can understand “The M25”, The Eiffel Tower” or “The Houses of Parliament “ but surely you have more of a personal affinity to “Your wife”? The person you have been married to for many years, or am I missing something.

The Wife said she can't see you're problem, the Husband said he also had no understanding of you issue. Its an expression.

Toffee the Spaniel (who doesn't really give a care) said WOOF!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A squaddie pal of mine was asked if he would be attending the Regimental dance later that month, he said "Not on your Nellie" when asked why, he pointed to the poster advertising the event.

Officers and their Ladies
NCO's and their Wives
Other Ranks and their women

He said "I won't be responsible for my wife's behaviour if she sees that poster !"

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I had a colleague who always referred to his wife as 'the Bride' and I've been known to use that as well.

As an ex hotel manager it caused a few panics when used if she wasn't about!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I don't have the problem as I am solo but the word/name that really grates me is when someone refers to a woman constantly as SHE.... (not in the normal usage).

SHE is an ignorant person's referral without the coutesy of giving a woman her name. .. SHE is the cat's mother. . Grrrr
OR. My last ship?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I was trying to arrange with him and his brother for the three of us to have a Boy's Motorbike Trip to Spain my elder son became a little upset when I referred to his girlfriend as 'The Fat Controller'.

For 50+ years (ever since our Youth Club days) a pal has always referred to his wife as 'Miss Pretty'.
Rather lovely I think.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
My Grandad used to call my Grandma Owd Lad. I never did work that out.
The two Grandmas were called Hilda but only called each other and Great Aunt by there surnames.
As kids we were always called by our surnames but the girls used there Christian names.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Used to call mine the old trout , and the bruises didn’t show...... below the belt :eek::eek:

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I refer to my current wife as ‘my wife’ if not referring to her by name with those who know her.
I refer to my ex-wife as ‘previous management’, which makes sure I don’t say anything unpleasant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back