£15k budget for a motorhome/van. Damp problems (1 Viewer)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
My girlfriend and I want to move into a motorhome/van full-time. We've got about £15k budget but want to spend less if possible.

We've found two motorhomes we liked and paid MACIC to do an inspection on each. Both inspections advised not purchasing due to damp and other issues. Details from the reports below:

Motorhome 1
1988 reg. £6000
Various faults were found as listed above. The interior has been mostly and recently painted
with a very hard gloss paint. The reason for this is unknown but it makes it almost impossible to
obtain accurate damp readings, so you must draw your own conclusions as to why this has
been done. Furthermore, it is unsightly and devalues the Motorhome. No appliances could be
checked due to no power in the rear etc although after 15 minutes of engine running the
extractor fan worked but that was all.
It was disappointing that no service history was seen so it must be presumed that it has not
been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s schedules which may increase wear to
certain components. No cam belt record was seen so it must be presumed that this has not
been changed. There is an oil leakage which should be investigated further.
I cannot recommend the purchase of this Motorhome.

Motorhome 2
1990 reg. £8000
Essential repairs
Not recommended for purchase until following issues are rectified:
1. Delamination of floor under footstep and Nearside rear corner. Repair and cause to be
identified/rectified
2. Various areas of damp internally to be further investigated and repaired. Please see
report for damp readings and recommendations
3. Cracks in front corners of roof to be repaired
4. Offside tyre to be replaced and wear reason investigated
5. Nearside front window (remove misting to aid drivers vision)
6. Remove padding from front vents to aid demisting.

35% Off side above front window
35% in Off side rear overhead locker
29% in cupboard
27% around entrance door
15% in shower area

Guidelines for damp are as follows:
• 0-15% no cause for concern
• 15-20% require further investigation
• 20%+ remedial repairs required.
• 30% and above structural damage may be occurring and deterioration is
inevitable

We're feeling frustrated about this buying process now, having spent £800 on 2 inspections (£400 each). What should we do? Go ahead and buy one of these motorhomes and spend the money to fix them up? Or do more searching, possibly raising our budget, and try to find another vehicle that can pass inspection?

If we had to choose between these two, we're leaning towards Motorhome 2, as it has a lot of nice features like good sized fridge, lots of solar, automatic transmission.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I appreciate all the input here.

I've managed to find at least one UK insurer (ERS underwriter, through HIC agent) that will work for me: no limits on the value or age of the motorhome, even with my US license. £1550/year.

Seems pricey, so I'm currently looking at insuring in Germany after a month or two, when we go there for Christmas.

My new strategy is to send out damp meters to sellers before I even arrange to drive out there for a viewing. Got a few lined up in UK, a few in Germany. Hopefully can do some more viewings soon.
Depending on a few things you don't actually require full time insurance.

When I bought my last van last August I planned on doing long term touring of up to a year at a time. So effectively fulltiming but just not using that word

I'm with safeguard who you can tour with non stop for 355 days out of 365.
I renewed my policy in August and again clarified this point. And when I changed insurance on to my new van a couple of days ago i had a discussion at length with the guy on the phone anout my travel plans etc and was clarified again.
As long as I have a UK address where the vehicle is registered as is my licence and the insurance is at that address I can live in the van for 355 days of any 365.

I can do that with ease and I'm not breaking any rules or lying to the insurance I've been totally upfront with them

And they allow vehicles up to 20 years old include Europe wide breakdown , unlimited miles , unlimited glass cover, repatriation etc

And for less than a quarter of the price comfort quoted me for fulltime insurance with limited miles and windscreen cover.

So if you have a parent you can have all your docs registered to and can visit for 10 days out of 365 ( which lets be honest how could they prove that ) then you don't actually have to have fulltime insurance.....just be honest with the insurance company.
I've already spent 10 days at my mum's so technically I can now live in my van till next August

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes, we did a 20 day trip in a rental, with our four cats as well, tried to simulate full-timing as well we could. Very happy with it.

This is nice. It's newer at 1995, but at £13k so much more expensive than some of the £6-8k ones I'm currently looking at which are 1989-1993.

Our search is still focused on the cheaper ones, hoping that one of them will turn out without damp, or at least just an acceptable amount of damp. Are we going down the wrong route and should just pony up for a more expensive one?

Maybe the £10k+ ones are just overpriced? There's no guarantee they'll be free of problems either.
I think several people have answered this same question several times to the point it's a little frustrating

Yes your going down the wrong route.

By your own admission you are new to this and don't for want of a better word have a clue.
People are trying to help and advise you but there's an old saying " you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

Its ok to ask for help and advice but you have to be open to accepting that help and advice

What your looking for you won't find for that money

But you can find better than what your looking for for your budget

There's always a compromise with motorhomes and your main one should be to bin the u shape lounge idea
Why do you think it's the best layout for you ?

For fulltiming it's rubbish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm coming around to looking at some of the more expensive ones around £10k, but humor me one last time on this £8k one below:

Dealer won't fix the damp, and it has the following issues on the most recent MOT. How serious are these?

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Offside Front Upper Marker light not working-pre 1991 vehicle.
  • Nearside Rear Wheel bearing has slight play (5.1.3 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Wheel bearing has slight play (5.1.3 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Wheel bearing slightly noisy (5.1.3 (b) (i))
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Pipe on axle at osr. (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material X2 (1.1.11 (c))
  • Central Front Lower Engine mounting damaged but not to excess (6.1.8 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Power steering component has slight seepage from a component Rack-pinion valve area. (2.1.5 (a))
  • Nearside Front Upper Integral body structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security slam panel. (6.2.2 (d) (i))
I wouldn't touch that with a shitty stick

Going by that list of advisories the owner is too tight and too lazy to keep his vehicle in good order..

Personally I repair all advisories I like a clean mot history page and an endless history of failures or advisories is a definite no no for me.

If they don't look after the mechanical side you can guarantee they haven't looked after the habitation side much better.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Since you really do like the u shape lounge

I had considered this one myself but have bought one now

Iveco rear wheel drive low miles looks in good nick and has a u shape lounge
If that's as good as the photos and description it's a good buy

It was actually the u shaped lounge that stopped me from buying it as I prefer a front lounge and a good view .
In a u shape lounge the view is behind you

Or a decent looking hymer

There's a few people fulltime in these and manage no problem @Manic and @Shrimp are a couple who have a 584 they fulltime in
Very spacious vans

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Iveco rear wheel drive low miles looks in good nick and has a u shape lounge
If that's as good as the photos and description it's a good buy

It was actually the u shaped lounge that stopped me from buying it as I prefer a front lounge and a good view .
In a u shape lounge the view is behind you

There's a few people fulltime in these and manage no problem @Manic and @Shrimp are a couple who have a 584 they fulltime in
Very spacious vans

Both great vans and advice from Tam......and both look really good value for money especially the Mobilvetta

Hymers have a great reputation, I have a 2001 Mobilvetta A Class which is perfect for me - fixed bed at back, no dinette (which I hate), large shower room, plenty of lounging area especially with captain chairs as well - a mini flat on wheels and another drop down bed if needed. You need to keep it heated in Winter though as it's not got a double floor,but if you're in it you wouldn't want to freeze either

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Both great vans and advice from Tam......and both look really good value for money especially the Mobilvetta

Hymers have a great reputation, I have a 2001 Mobilvetta A Class which is perfect for me - fixed bed at back, no dinette (which I hate), large shower room, plenty of lounging area especially with captain chairs as well - a mini flat on wheels and another drop down bed if needed. You need to keep it heated in Winter though as it's not got a double floor,but if you're in it you wouldn't want to freeze either
I had the same mobilvetta as you did and I liked it a lot. I used it all year round too without problems that's why I'd considered the one I posted there ...there's also another one on eBay the same bit with a fixed rear bed instead of lounge at 13.5k

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
if your planning on being in london remember the lez and ulez which starts next year if you dont have a london address and in 2021 if you do

Yes the op needs to think about that as most he is looking at wouldn't be allowed inside the lez ,which basically is nearly everything inside the M25

Don't know much about them, Snowbird is your man, but RMB are supposed to be very well built. And do I remember you wanted a U shaped lounge? MOT history looks OK from a quick glance, only minor issues raised - I'd expect that on any vehicle of this age. History doesn't go back that far so I would think it was probably imported in 2016.

You have to be realistic that any van for that kind of money will be old and at best will need "running repairs", i.e. ongoing minor fixes. Mine certainly does at just 12 years old.

That's a nice one that I looked at the other day online . Sure it will go for more than the 10k its is at at the moment

I looked into it and it looks kind of hard and a little expensive. I figured out an easy way to do this: swap my Texas license for a German license (Texas has reciprocity with Germany and France), then if necessary swap the German for a UK license (since all EU countries have to offer this—before Brexit at least).
No . Can't be done. When you swop for a german or french it shows it on the licence you will receive . If you then attempt to swop it for a UK ,or any other EU state it will be refused.
I.e. An Aussie can swop there licence for a UK one but cannot then swop it for a licence in any other EU state.
Or UK citizens who passed their tests in Jersey ,Guernsey can only drive in the UK for 12 months without having to exchange their licences for UK ones. Additionally neither are exchangeable for any EU country licence as they are not classed as part of the EU.( Even if they swopped to a UK one first) They have to take a new test.

That is nice ,as is the other one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
At this point, we're running out of Hymer 534s to look at in the UK. There's the £13k one but it's in Inverness. We're in London, so we'd need to fly there. If I'm flying, then might as well fly to Germany. I've read several posts about how you get better value there than buying in the UK.

I understand that sterling has lost some value against the euro since then, but based on the listings I've seen on mobile.de, £8k Hymers in Germany look better than the £11k one we just looked at a dealer in UK.

There's always a compromise with motorhomes and your main one should be to bin the u shape lounge idea
Why do you think it's the best layout for you ?

For fulltiming it's rubbish
We really like the idea of sitting in the back, working on our laptops and being able to have windows on all three sides. Why do you think it's rubbish?

The Mobilvetta is nice, and we looked at several coachbuilts but the problem is that my girlfriend, Maya, doesn't like the overcab bed—she finds it too claustrophobic. But she likes the pull-down bed of the Hymers.

We rented a rear fixed bed, forward lounge 7.5 m Roller Team for 20 days to try it. Didn't like that layout, especially that the forward lounge doesn't give as many possible sitting angles.

We haven't tried the rear kitchen layout but it seems really bad to me. I cook a lot and I'd be looking out the back instead of being able to turn my head to the side to speak to Maya.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Yes the op needs to think about that as most he is looking at wouldn't be allowed inside the lez ,which basically is nearly everything inside the M25

No . Can't be done. When you swop for a german or french it shows it on the licence you will receive . If you then attempt to swop it for a UK ,or any other EU state it will be refused.
I.e. An Aussie can swop there licence for a UK one but cannot then swop it for a licence in any other EU state.
I'm aware of the LEZ. The only way to get around is it to buy 2002 or newer, and that would be way out of my budget. Or to fit a filter, but I've read some pretty negative things about that. I'm happy to stay outside the LEZ, and take the train in whenever I want to go into town.

That's interesting to know about the licence swap. Thanks for letting me know. I should still be ok, as at least one UK insurer (HIC) will accept international licences.

I'm with safeguard who you can tour with non stop for 355 days out of 365.
That's really good to know. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm aware of the LEZ. The only way to get around is it to buy 2002 or newer, and that would be way out of my budget. Or to fit a filter, but I've read some pretty negative things about that. I'm happy to stay outside the LEZ, and take the train in whenever I want to go into town.

That's interesting to know about the licence swap. Thanks for letting me know. I should still be ok, as at least one UK insurer (HIC) will accept international licences.

That's really good to know. Thanks.
I know of a 2002 Frankia you can get for 15k

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Sounds like it's too good to be true. Can you PM me a link to it?

On mobile.de, 2002 Hymers start at around £20k.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sounds like it's too good to be true. Can you PM me a link to it?

On mobile.de, 2002 Hymers start at around £20k.
Forget mobile. De for anything under 20 grand I've been looking at them for the last 4 months

The Frankia I viewed is on a Merc sprinter chassis 2002 40000 miles 2 previous owners

But it doesn't have a u shape lounge

Its in middlesborough on gumtree

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We really like the idea of sitting in the back, working on our laptops and being able to have windows on all three sides.

We rented a rear fixed bed, forward lounge 7.5 m Roller Team for 20 days to try it. Didn't like that layout, especially that the forward lounge doesn't give as many possible sitting angles.
I’ve fulltimed in 3 different vans now - 3 different layouts but none of them with a u-shaped rear lounge, it’s just never seemed a good use of space.

A forward lounge with bench seats either side and captain’s chairs that swivel effectively gives you the same thing, also with windows on all three sides - one of which is a large windscreen.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When we were researching our van, we tried the dinette type forward lounge in a hire van and immediately decided it was a no-no, very claustrophobic. We ended up with a forward lounge with parallel bench seats; coupled with the swiveling front seats we have a roomy open seating area with views to 3 sides. The French bed (although we're now thinking of an island bed, purely for convenience of making it in the mornings) at the rear gives us a private bedroom which can be used at any time of the day - the wife often likes a snooze in the afternoons. This setup also means our Westie has lots of space inside if we can't let him out.

Given the problems the OP is having, seemingly fixated on a rear U-lounge, I would strongly suggest they have another look at this type of layout.

As for buying abroad, I think given the age of vehicles in the budget, he would have many more problems. I've got an idea that their nationality (US?) is also going to create even more headaches.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Maya, doesn't like the overcab bed—she finds it too claustrophobic. But she likes the pull-down bed of the Hymers.
I agree with her. I like to sit up in bed with a brew and a view and take in the morning.

We rented a rear fixed bed, .... Didn't like that layout, especially that the forward lounge doesn't give as many possible sitting angles. ....the rear kitchen layout but it seems really bad to me. I cook a lot and I'd be looking out the back instead of being able to turn my head to the side to speak to Maya.
You will have to accept that whatever you get will be a compromise.
If you go to a few dealers and look at a 6 to 7m long m/homes in the 40 to 50k price range I doubt that you will see exactly what you want..............so all the while you're hunting for the perfect one in your price range you will always be chasing your tail.
I bought my 6m long 1995 very reliable (NO damp;)) Compass Navigator m/h for £14k just 6 years ago and have toured Europe extensively and for long periods (I'm retired). It wasn't exactly the layout I wanted but even looking at m/homes up to 30k I didn't find one that came any closer than this one.

My 'Magic Carpet' - One owner, 70,000 miles. Virtually unmarked inside and out - but not a 'U' lounge (I'm outdoors most of the time).

Big pic at Johns Cross.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
At this point, we're running out of Hymer 534s to look at in the UK. There's the £13k one but it's in Inverness. We're in London, so we'd need to fly there.
The eBay listing for that one just ended with no sale so, if it is any good and you wanted it, you could probably get a considerable amount knocked off the price.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Looking at this Hymer from a dealer in Germany. 1990. 114,642 miles. Does this look like a tolerable amount of rust on the underside?

31469887168_102e2561cd_c.jpg

45344519991_c2fd5fd853_c.jpg

45344519761_94d95e083e_c.jpg

The eBay listing for that one just ended with no sale so, if it is any good and you wanted it, you could probably get a considerable amount knocked off the price.
Good idea. I messaged them yesterday but haven't heard back. They might have sold it offline or reached a deal and closed the auction early.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Here's a different Hymer: 1995, 90k miles. How's the rust on this one?

44431218905_8044dfd918_c.jpg

45344740021_15dbc64dee_c.jpg

44431218965_c0ba47b7ff_c.jpg

43529619350_d71e242009_c.jpg

45344739791_4b1f71ddb8_c.jpg

43529619000_124fed3f8d_c.jpg

44431218295_dd8250867a_c.jpg

MOT is pretty clean, just the last two years have these advisories:

Nearside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
Offside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)

How much does that cost to fix? I found this thread on Out&About. Sounds like it should be fixed before it gets worse, and might cost around £500 for both wheels. Does that sound right?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Aaaaarrrrrghhhh :eek: ... I'm gonna shoot myself now :Eeek:... I can't take it anymore! :tmi:

Its worse than water torture! :crying:

Upvote 0

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
The situation as I see it now is that you are still looking for your cheap bargain van that probably doesn’t exist.

I got a lovely old van .....she wasn’t cheap.

The quandary for all the experienced people on this forum (I’m not one of them ! ) is that no one will want to have an overriding opionion on the van you buy - No one wants that responsibility.

They will advise you like they have and thereafter it’s all down to you and your gut. Then whatever you buy you live with.

I re-iterate too cheap and you will have bought a nightmare not a dream.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Here's a different Hymer: 1995, 90k miles. How's the rust on this one?

44431218905_8044dfd918_c.jpg

45344740021_15dbc64dee_c.jpg

44431218965_c0ba47b7ff_c.jpg

43529619350_d71e242009_c.jpg

45344739791_4b1f71ddb8_c.jpg

43529619000_124fed3f8d_c.jpg

44431218295_dd8250867a_c.jpg

MOT is pretty clean, just the last two years have these advisories:

Nearside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
Offside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)

How much does that cost to fix? I found this thread on Out&About. Sounds like it should be fixed before it gets worse, and might cost around £500 for both wheels. Does that sound right?

I don't think anyone will give an opinion - you just can't

You should not be looking for a cheap van - there is usually a reason

Worse - looking for a cheap van anywhere but the UK where you have MOT history and legal rights

If you have £15k - spend it, get a newer van, one that will do the job

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The photos show no more than one would expect on a vehicle this age. You need to appreciate that there is structural rust/corrosion (suspension and steering mounting points and general 'chassis' corrosion) which is an MOT fail/expensive to fix and there's general body panel rust/corrosion which can be largely cosmetic/ugly/source of leaks etc. and on which you can spend as much or as little as you feel sufficient for it to look respectable and not make your bedding mouldy.
Best guess/very rough opinion from the photos as I've never inspected a Hymer and I wouldn't normally give an opinion without seeing it but since you're really struggling.....:
Pic 1 - the floor in line with the wiring/junction box is holed/breaking up/rotting. Rain/damp potential.
Pics 2,3,4,7 - Nothing visible that is obviously bad (for its age).
Pic 5 (3 suspension bolts) Serious corrosion - MOT fail
Pic 6 - Mainly flaking paint. Not a prob.
Pic 8 - Zorst on the way out within 3 to 6 months (possible MOT fail if holed/leaking). Silencer bracket corroded/very weak.
Pic 9 - Flaking paint. No prob.
Pic 10 - tyre looks well worn (Especially on inside?).

I'm not familiar with the base vehicle but if the bearings are the taper type they will be adjustable. Perhaps 2 hours/c£100 depending where it's done. Can be done on the ground - won't need a lift. Trouble is that whilst sorting those out other worn stuff may be found.
I've no idea of the cost of the wheel bearings for that vehicle. The front will be the most work due to having front wheel drive shafts/rubber gaiters etc. 500 sounds a bit high though.
Within your £8k aspiration every vehicle will have issues unless you are very, very lucky.

EDIT - I met one of my biker pals at a rally last weekend. He had just bought an old £8k m/h and when he had to brake suddenly ALL the wall cupboards fixings tore out of the sodden wooden studding frame and crashed to the floor with much of the wall panels. Crockery, tins and packets of food and books, maps, clothes strewn everywhere. Even worse, his Husky dog was so traumatised he has refused to go in it again so he had to leave it with his mum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
none of those photos show anything more than surface rust the bolt on spring hangers often go completely rusty within a few years let alone 30
Agreed, but the plate with the 3 bolts in pic 5 isn't just rusty but holed and breaking up. Rotten as a pear. Needs replacing. Deffo an MOT fail. (n)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Agreed, but the plate with the 3 bolts in pic 5 isn't just rusty but holed and breaking up. Rotten as a pear. Needs replacing. Deffo an MOT fail. (n)
the plate with the three bolts looks like the end of a gearbox cross member and the perfectly round hole would have been there when it was made they always look a bit grotty where the water drips out of the hole

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
the plate with the three bolts looks like the end of a gearbox cross member and the perfectly round hole would have been there when it was made they always look a bit grotty where the water drips out of the hole
Doesn't look perfectly round to me. But waddever, as I said, mine's a very rough/generic opinion and I have no familiarity with the base vehicle. If it's a gearbox mounting and not part of the suspension/steering assemblies it may not be MOT critical.
Serves me right. I just KNEW I was sticking my head above the parapet :(
Hopefully you can assist further with some first hand knowledge.
I'll get me coat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When we were researching our van, we tried the dinette type forward lounge in a hire van and immediately decided it was a no-no, very claustrophobic. We ended up with a forward lounge with parallel bench seats; coupled with the swiveling front seats we have a roomy open seating area with views to 3 sides. The French bed (although we're now thinking of an island bed, purely for convenience of making it in the mornings) at the rear gives us a private bedroom which can be used at any time of the day - the wife often likes a snooze in the afternoons. This setup also means our Westie has lots of space inside if we can't let him out.

Given the problems the OP is having, seemingly fixated on a rear U-lounge, I would strongly suggest they have another look at this type of layout.

As for buying abroad, I think given the age of vehicles in the budget, he would have many more problems. I've got an idea that their nationality (US?) is also going to create even more headaches.
What you describe is the layout I've jist switched to from a front lounge rear transverse bed as I wanted a low down fixed bed but still a front lounge...I'm not a fan of the dinette style either as not comfy for lounging in ...bit the opposite facing sofas and swivel seats still give a good comfy lounge.

I think a u shape lounge just wastes storage space personally but that's just me.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back