£15k budget for a motorhome/van. Damp problems (1 Viewer)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
My girlfriend and I want to move into a motorhome/van full-time. We've got about £15k budget but want to spend less if possible.

We've found two motorhomes we liked and paid MACIC to do an inspection on each. Both inspections advised not purchasing due to damp and other issues. Details from the reports below:

Motorhome 1
1988 reg. £6000
Various faults were found as listed above. The interior has been mostly and recently painted
with a very hard gloss paint. The reason for this is unknown but it makes it almost impossible to
obtain accurate damp readings, so you must draw your own conclusions as to why this has
been done. Furthermore, it is unsightly and devalues the Motorhome. No appliances could be
checked due to no power in the rear etc although after 15 minutes of engine running the
extractor fan worked but that was all.
It was disappointing that no service history was seen so it must be presumed that it has not
been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s schedules which may increase wear to
certain components. No cam belt record was seen so it must be presumed that this has not
been changed. There is an oil leakage which should be investigated further.
I cannot recommend the purchase of this Motorhome.

Motorhome 2
1990 reg. £8000
Essential repairs
Not recommended for purchase until following issues are rectified:
1. Delamination of floor under footstep and Nearside rear corner. Repair and cause to be
identified/rectified
2. Various areas of damp internally to be further investigated and repaired. Please see
report for damp readings and recommendations
3. Cracks in front corners of roof to be repaired
4. Offside tyre to be replaced and wear reason investigated
5. Nearside front window (remove misting to aid drivers vision)
6. Remove padding from front vents to aid demisting.

35% Off side above front window
35% in Off side rear overhead locker
29% in cupboard
27% around entrance door
15% in shower area

Guidelines for damp are as follows:
• 0-15% no cause for concern
• 15-20% require further investigation
• 20%+ remedial repairs required.
• 30% and above structural damage may be occurring and deterioration is
inevitable

We're feeling frustrated about this buying process now, having spent £800 on 2 inspections (£400 each). What should we do? Go ahead and buy one of these motorhomes and spend the money to fix them up? Or do more searching, possibly raising our budget, and try to find another vehicle that can pass inspection?

If we had to choose between these two, we're leaning towards Motorhome 2, as it has a lot of nice features like good sized fridge, lots of solar, automatic transmission.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The only thing you need to lean on is a wall and be glad you've not bought any of them so stop leaning and walk away.
You need a friend who knows about vans that you can take with you next time. Think of it as a saving of thousands not a wasted £800.
Take your time and don't rush, steady away.
Join here if not already and ask questions first NOT after buying.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At those kind of prices you really need to be a good DIYer and prepared to spend time on them otherwise you are talking money pit at normal dealer repair costs.

You don't get much for your £400 do you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
No buy neither. Damp is the death nell of any van, particularly where they are of age. Keep looking, you will eventually find what you want. :gum:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
At those kind of prices you really need to be a good DIYer and prepared to spend time on them otherwise you are talking money pit at normal dealer repair costs.

Yes that's what I thought, surely you can get a check cheaper than that, I think we could go into business here, £400 to tell you the van is knackered.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
I really appreciate your input here.

What kind of budget should we be looking at? Closer to £15k? We're not much of DIYers and would rather just get a good one and not worry about repairs all the time. And doing repairs while we're living it full-time, with four cats, is a lot harder than if we were just part-timers.

The report is actually really detailed. Here's the full report for Motorhome 1. And honestly I don't know enough about mechanicals and appliances to do it myself.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
At 28 and 30 year old, both vans will be likely to need an owner that is very good at diy as there will always be something to replace or refurbish.
Full timing would definitely require a van that doesn’t need to be in the repair shop often so unless you can fix things you really do need to buy wisely.
Keep looking on here as there have been some absolute belters sold with many years of serviceable life in them that other members could vouch for.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
£15k should get you a very nice van, even if it is a bit elderly (you might want to keep a bit back though, just in case). Where have you been looking? Be careful of Ebay and such, and remember the old axiom "if it looks too good to be true it is"! And don't be rushed either.

If you want to do your own checking why not at least invest in a damp meter? But don't, don't, don't ever buy a damp van unless you've got the skill and resources to do a major repair. Once the first signs of damp appear it's usually a long slippery and expensive downhill slope. Have you got a reasonably knowledgeable friend who can help you?

Have you downloaded Jim's excellent publication "Buying a Motorhome" - it's in the Resources section (top of the page, dark blue bar) - and perhaps will give you a chance to re-think what you're doing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
£15k should get you a very nice van, even if it is a bit elderly (you might want to keep a bit back though, just in case). Where have you been looking? Be careful of Ebay and such, and remember the old axiom "if it looks too good to be true it is"! And don't be rushed either.

If you want to do your own checking why not at least invest in a damp meter? But don't, don't, don't ever buy a damp van unless you've got the skill and resources to do a major repair. Once the first signs of damp appear it's usually a long slippery and expensive downhill slope. Have you got a reasonably knowledgeable friend who can help you?

Have you downloaded Jim's excellent publication "Buying a Motorhome" - it's in the Resources section (top of the page, dark blue bar) - and perhaps will give you a chance to re-think what you're doing.
We're looking on eBay, Autotrader, Hymermarket.

I've just ordered a damp meter. Was pretty silly to have not used it earlier.

Yes, I've read Jim's e-book.

You got a budget of 15K but looking at vans for 6 and 8K, confused?
We were so taken in at these cheap motorhomes we thought it'd be great to save a bunch of money. I guess they were too good to be true.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
At 28 and 30 year old, both vans will be likely to need an owner that is very good at diy as there will always be something to replace or refurbish.
Full timing would definitely require a van that doesn’t need to be in the repair shop often so unless you can fix things you really do need to buy wisely.
Keep looking on here as there have been some absolute belters sold with many years of serviceable life in them that other members could vouch for.
Does this mean we need to increase our budget to £15k or even £20k to get younger motorhomes? At what age do you reckon is one that's requires relatively little DIY

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Where are you looking for a van, do you not visually inspect yourself before paying for a inspection?

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Does this mean we need to increase our budget to £15k or even £20k to get younger motorhomes? At what age do you reckon is one that's requires relatively little DIY
Unable to answer. A new van could have faults from the factory. But if you can stretch to 20K you can get a lot better vehicle.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
You need to look at as many as you can yourself, look inside cupboards, underneath at the wood floor, smell for damp or even buy a damp meter.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The vehicle has been untaxed since August. See here:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

Check the MOT record of any vehicle you are hoping to buy here:
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

The MOT records for the Peugeot 'Motorhome 2' says that it has only covered about 1000km in the past year and the MOT expires on 2nd December. The n/s and o/s front wheel bearings are worn and the inner wings have been heavily undersealed. This could be to hide structural (serious) rust........:

Date tested 2 December 2017

Pass
Mileage 198,904 km
MOT test number 8414 2534 4533
Test location

View test location
Enter latest V5C number11 digits from the vehicle log book
Expiry date 1 December 2018
Advisory notice item(s)
  • headlamp mask converters fitted
  • Nearside Front wheel bearing has slight play (2.5.A.3c)
  • Offside Front wheel bearing has slight play (2.5.A.3c)
  • both sides front inner wing sections have been heavily undersealed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base

Yes where in the country are you looking? I know of a great looking van on gumtree for £15k but think there might be another poster on here with his eye on it so don't really want to advertise it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Where are you looking for a van, do you not visually inspect yourself before paying for a inspection?
We've inspected them ourselves, spent about an hour each. Checking for soft damp spots mostly. But the mechanical stuff is beyond me. We didn't have a damp meter before but will be armed with one now.

Yes where in the country are you looking? I know of a great looking van on gumtree for £15k but think there might be another poster on here with his eye on it so don't really want to advertise it.
I'm willing to go all over Great Britain to get one. Can you PM me the listing?

At the moment we're pretty focused on Hymers and other A-Class, especially the B534. I love being able to use the pull-down bed (not as claustrophobic as an overcab/luton), and have a U-lounge in the back.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What kind of budget should we be looking at? Closer to £15k? We're not much of DIYers and would rather just get a good one and not worry about repairs all the time. And doing repairs while we're living it full-time, with four cats, is a lot harder than if we were just part-timers.

Just like a house there is always maintenance to be done. You are going to long search for the right van and you can't be throwing £400 at every one you see especially when they will be covering themselves and virtually telling not to buy any of them.

I do know some older vans owned on here that fit your bill, not for sale cherished well cared for vans, but the owners don't last forever so keep looking and looking.

Damp meter is a good investment.

I must say that letter heading "MACIC" with the wand screams "tossers" to me. "Council" what the hell is that supposed to be ? They may be brilliant and conscientious but that heading does not look at all professional to me. What you have got for your £800 is a decent check list, make you own and use it for your initial examination.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
An A class for 20K...I'd rather buy a newer coachbuilt for the same money.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Nice but maybe over budget.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As others have said, even new ones can have problems. You need to find one that is dry and rust free as the rest is usually relatively easy to fix.
Use the reports you have paid for to be a list of things to check. If you don’t have the skills then get a knowledgeable friend to help.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My Eribacar has a U lounge and was built by Hymer......:rofl:

Seiously for £20k you should find a decent A class. You already realised that layout is the most important

Check out the classifieds for sale on here

Don't buy on price or age, just condition and MOT history and mileage covered each year.

Vans in regular use are likely to have less problems.

Good luck

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
One other important point make sure you have the correct licence - might limit you to sub 3500kg vans and not leave much payload for 2 full-timing

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I seem to recall that @Snowbird has an excellent knack for good deals on older vehicles. Wonder if he has any tips?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer s up to 2006 are a good, solid but but still need thorough checking. As I said next time do a link to the van and people on here will try to help without another £400 price tag.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Hymer s up to 2006 are a good, solid but but still need thorough checking. As I said next time do a link to the van and people on here will try to help without another £400 price tag.

Before I bought my big van last year I saw a 2001 Hymer advertised as needing £2k+ of chassis welding, failed MOT, flagged year before as an advisory.

Sold straight way at about £2k under 'normal' price!!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am a fan of a class but do bear in mind that some aclass parts are silly money to replace. I had to replace a mirror hit by a truck at a cost of £1200 while a basic ducato mirror could have been had for £45. Also some plastic body parts at £7000.
An older aclass will not have body rust as not usually steel but chassis can still rust.
In terms of DIY you will need to learn. My present mh, £54k bought at a year old and I seem to be always doing something on it. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back