Thinking of Full timings - worried I'll be bored!! (1 Viewer)

C+C

Free Member
May 2, 2017
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Expose yourself to the risk of enjoying a fabulous new lifestyle.
My wife has just retired and we have rented out our house and are two months into our journey through France and Spain. We don't know how long the journey will be or where it will take us, but we do know it is fabulous! So many fabulous places so many interesting friendly people
Just do it
PS I am 76

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You have the best of both worlds there, a job for part of the year if you want and then the chance to go off. Would your job still be open when/if you return.
Its good not to have too many concrete plans when fulltiming, just go with the flow.
I would have thought loneliness would improve when fulltiming, different areas and meeting different people, although campsites are a good place to get chatting and you are never using them.

I wouldn't say never it depends on their location and their cost I may well stay on the odd one for a week or so here and there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nigel Keith

Free Member
Dec 30, 2017
Funster No
Hi all. My house is going up for sale in the new year. I have already quit my job. I am going to buy a flat that will be rented out to help with costs of living in motorhome. Then I am off to see what I can find on the road. Been a long time coming. I hope you have a great time with your adventure.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Surely it's the leaving the full time job which will have the most impact, not living full time in a motorhome... ?
In that respect it won't be much different to those who fear they'll be bored when they retire.
I've never been so busy, nor my calendar so full since I retired!.
I almost wish for a period of 'boredom' so I could read all those books I planned to, or watch the films & boxsets I've stockpiled.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi all

This is my first post - woop woop!
Just wanted to say what a great bunch you lot are...the advice and support on here is fantastic.
So here's my dilemma/question.
I've worked hard since an early age and am now sick to death of the daily grind. I'm single with no children, so no ties as such.
I am currently selling my house with the view to go full time touring for at least a year, maybe two, maybe for good.
With the sale, I'll be able to buy a flat to rent out, which will give me an income. I'll have enough to buy a van - not a new one! and savings as a back up.
I'm hoping to get a dog (having had one previously for 16 years and miss it so much) and travel, mainly Europe after doing a bit of the UK to get used to everything!

It may sound odd, but my biggest worry is that I'll get bored. I'm very happy with my own company as have been on my own a while and I'll hopefully have a dog for company.

I'm thinking the first year or two will be one long adventure, it's after that that worries me.
I know a lot can happen in 2 years, but I'd be interested in your opinions/experience on the whole thing.

Appreciate your replies
Dawn :)

Hi Dawn - welcome! A suggestion for you - just start travelling without letting your flat out but retaining it as your home and base initially / alternatively establish your own U.K. residential address by means of a houseshare or with a friend / family?

After the months of Travel wherever you choose - it will soon be clear if your getting bored with it or not - you then have the option to make other plans without burning bridges :)

I’m actually doing just that - but am fortunate enough to be able to retain my home without renting it out. I’m travelling solo at this time and I don’t get bored - however I do find it lonely from time to time but that passes very quickly with new places and meeting new people.

I’m finding now that i’m getting very bored when I fly back briefly to the U.K. to see family and reset the legal travel calendar ( which you should be aware of if travelling abroad) after seeing family, when at home! :)

Last edited:

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No
Hi there, I went full time in September. The boredom and loneliness can get to you at times, or so I've found but no more than it would in a house. My bus is a self build and is fully converted but still needs lots doing to it. So come spring I will get on with the jobs it needs. I've got a collie that keeps me busy.
My advice is go for it, winters will always be harder than summers due to the dark, cold and rain.

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No
If your worried about getting bored get mobile internet from 3 mobile with go binge and subscribe to Netflix, anything you watch doesn't come out of your data allowance. From a fully charged iPad I get about 5 films.

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
F/ T for 15 years in March & have not looked back .Always an adventure wherever you are . Get bored ?? ...,not for me as always bits on the van to upkeep &;electric bike / walks if I get cabin fever ...Best of luck I'm sure ya will enjoy ...

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Just get in your van,drive down here, benidorm,you will never be bored,

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Get a dog, out on a walk you'll always find someone to talk to.
We've been on the road for over 7 years now, we have a JRT she keeps us fit & entertained.
Find some hobbies/crafts you can fit into the motorhome-knit, crochet, draw, paint, photography, sew, read, walk.
I would be surprised if you do get seriously bored.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We fulltimed for 3 years and never got bored - just moved on when there was a danger of that! We have a house now but go on long trips now (this year Slovenia and Croatia). We take loads of books (can't get used to the kindle), DVDs, playing cards, enjoy cooking. Don't bother with the tv although I I might do if I was a solo traveller. A friend joined a solo traveller club and had a great time.
Some people do embroidery, creative writing (have a go if you haven't tried it before - you might find you enjoy it and there's loads of websites that will help you get started). We do take some photos but reading a previous post made me think that I might get a better camera, join a class and do more when I know how.
Don't forget that if your van is old enough you have to come back to the UK for the MOT. This gave us a 'top up' of friends and family.
Also - we occasionally left the van in a secure campsite and stayed in a hotel if we partiularly wanted to go into a city and wanted some city life for a couple of days.
Can't think of anything else at the moment but will post here if I do.
Good luck and enjoy the great adventure. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Steph

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi all

This is my first post - woop woop!
Just wanted to say what a great bunch you lot are...the advice and support on here is fantastic.
So here's my dilemma/question.
I've worked hard since an early age and am now sick to death of the daily grind. I'm single with no children, so no ties as such.
I am currently selling my house with the view to go full time touring for at least a year, maybe two, maybe for good.
With the sale, I'll be able to buy a flat to rent out, which will give me an income. I'll have enough to buy a van - not a new one! and savings as a back up.
I'm hoping to get a dog (having had one previously for 16 years and miss it so much) and travel, mainly Europe after doing a bit of the UK to get used to everything!

It may sound odd, but my biggest worry is that I'll get bored. I'm very happy with my own company as have been on my own a while and I'll hopefully have a dog for company.

I'm thinking the first year or two will be one long adventure, it's after that that worries me.
I know a lot can happen in 2 years, but I'd be interested in your opinions/experience on the whole thing.

Appreciate your replies

I sold my house back in August and have been fulltiming in the van since September, the first month I spent touring around the north of Scotland as I had a spell off work, the last month or so has been a little harder as it's getting colder now and as I'm still working up till Christmas I'm enduring the Scottish winter from a different angle than I'm used to. I find I get bored quite a bit if the weather is bad and I'm stuck inside more. I also find myself quite lonely and isolated sometimes if truth be known.....but I felt like that in the house too. I've not used a campsite once since I went full time other than 3 days spent at the Fife rally , the rest has been wildcamping , because while I'm working I have to stay fairly close by I have a few regular haunts that I know I can park up at safely so that can also be a bit dull but needs must.
I'm fortunate the days I'm working I can park overnight at work and we have showers etc there which is handy....i keep telling myself the adventure really starts once I get over to Spain in January as I've not been to mainland Spain so it will be all new ground. I do worry about the loneliness as having suffered depression before I'm worried that takes hold but I think new places and new faces may help that....im trying not to make concrete plans , I don't know if I'll fulltime forever or I'll go back to a house , I don't know if I'll try to stay in Spain forever or return to UK....plans have a way of changing so I'm trying to just go with the flow and see what happens.
I'm now just looking at it as a gap year holiday type thing and if that's all it is and I return to UK and work next year fair enough but I'm open to a different outcome

I'd say go for it you only live once

Hi to both of you. I'm going to be a bit nosey and ask how you are getting on. Did you get your house sold @Suneshinegirl shine? Is Spain now your home @Northernraider

I've been flirting with the idea of renting my flat and full timing it for a while but I fear I would be cutting it fine with the finances i.e the money in (rent) against money out (mortgage + bills and living cost while abroad). My van is paid up in Spanish storage until the end of March so seriously thinking about selling up to save having the hassle of said flat here.

Any advice?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi to both of you. I'm going to be a bit nosey and ask how you are getting on. Did you get your house sold @Suneshinegirl shine? Is Spain now your home @Northernraider

I've been flirting with the idea of renting my flat and full timing it for a while but I fear I would be cutting it fine with the finances i.e the money in (rent) against money out (mortgage + bills and living cost while abroad). My van is paid up in Spanish storage until the end of March so seriously thinking about selling up to save having the hassle of said flat here.

Any advice?
Well it is for me at the minute .....but I'm still at the exploring stage. I've been full time since September

I've a thread running here

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...uropean-adventure.167315/page-70#post-2718506

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Appreciate your replies

You have a good plan in place, if it goes pare shaped you come back to your flat.

Go for it, you'll never be happy again if you don't give it a go.

But be careful and be honest with yourself, once it feels wrong knock it on the head. One big problem in a MH is a nice bottle of something is always within arms reach, take care.

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Believe me Sunshinegirl, you won’t have time to be bored, especially if you have a dog. People always talk to dog owners and dogs lead you to interesting places. Plus dogs provide you with great company and very effective security, especially at night. Do it, you’ll never have any regrets.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
8 years on & we wouldn’t go back.
Yes there have been times when we’ve been a bit bored....raining and cold all day....tog up and go out!
With a dog you’ll never be really bored.
Winter evenings with nothing on TV worth watching are the worst, I have lots of small things to do, crochet, embroider, and I try to learn stuff from the Internet that’s quite time consuming.
Watch out for the first year, you will feel as tho you are on holiday and will probably spend too much!
It’s a great life and you meet a lot of fascinating people.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Wife and I both very early 50'shave been f't'ing since July 3rd and we worried about the same thing. Already we have noticed we get itchy feet after about 5 days in one place and by 7 days a change is definitely needed. We have two dogs who occupy a lot of our time plus sat tv for wet evenings. There is always stuff to do and people to talk to especially other m'homers even i you dont share a common language. Weve not got bored yet... in fact not sure how we had time for work.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Wife and I both very early 50'shave been f't'ing since July 3rd and we worried about the same thing. Already we have noticed we get itchy feet after about 5 days in one place and by 7 days a change is definitely needed. We have two dogs who occupy a lot of our time plus sat tv for wet evenings. There is always stuff to do and people to talk to especially other m'homers even i you dont share a common language. Weve not got bored yet... in fact not sure how we had time for work.
I had sat tv when I was a boy. I only got to watch it on Saturday .:D2

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Probably a daft question but How do you full time and it not cost you a fortune in site fees?

(I'm guessing don't use sites but doesn't that mean you have to move every day if doing a britstops type thing... Or is that the whole point :D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Probably a daft question but How do you full time and it not cost you a fortune in site fees?

(I'm guessing don't use sites but doesn't that mean you have to move every day if doing a britstops type thing... Or is that the whole point :D
I've lived in mine a year now ...in scotland from September to December and been in Spain and Portugal since January ...not been on a site once there's always wild spots and aires to use. I'm only very occasionally in one spot more than 2 days
Had 2 x 1 week In Malaga and 2 x 1 week In roquetas de mar.
Every where else 1 or 2 days and move even if only 5 or 10 miles

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Hi. We have lived in our van for nearly 2 years and have a year-round seasonal pitch. Initially its quite expensive but very cheap if you work it out per night. We are away quite a bit but there are others here who aren't and there never seems to be a problem.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back