Thinking of Full timings - worried I'll be bored!! (1 Viewer)

Suneshinegirl

Free Member
Oct 20, 2017
Funster No
Hi all

This is my first post - woop woop!
Just wanted to say what a great bunch you lot are...the advice and support on here is fantastic.
So here's my dilemma/question.
I've worked hard since an early age and am now sick to death of the daily grind. I'm single with no children, so no ties as such.
I am currently selling my house with the view to go full time touring for at least a year, maybe two, maybe for good.
With the sale, I'll be able to buy a flat to rent out, which will give me an income. I'll have enough to buy a van - not a new one! and savings as a back up.
I'm hoping to get a dog (having had one previously for 16 years and miss it so much) and travel, mainly Europe after doing a bit of the UK to get used to everything!

It may sound odd, but my biggest worry is that I'll get bored. I'm very happy with my own company as have been on my own a while and I'll hopefully have a dog for company.

I'm thinking the first year or two will be one long adventure, it's after that that worries me.
I know a lot can happen in 2 years, but I'd be interested in your opinions/experience on the whole thing.

Appreciate your replies
Dawn :)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Q. Do you ever get bored at the moment?...

If so you may encounter bouts whilst F/T’ing..

However, With a means of moving lock, stock and barrel.... you’d not be bored in a boring house in a boring town...

.... As you can just up and go wherever and whenever you wish (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
If, by saying that you're sick to death of the daily grind, you mean you're quitting fulltime work, nearly 4 years of retirement has taught me there's no time to get bored. :)

Enjoy. (y)

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, Dawn there are quite a number here that already do as you plan, and a lot more planning on doing so sometime in the future. So plenty of good advice here, you just have to ask (y) . Meanwhile welcome to the fun (y)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi @Suneshinegirl , we are planning to do the same next year (Claira, dog and myself).

Like others have said, do you have any hobbies? Ours is photography, which we plan to spend a lot of time doing :)

With a dog you'll never be bored. He/she will keep you busy :)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We finished work 20 years ago and at first full timed. We now rent a house in Spain where we spend winter and we travel in the motorhome during the summer months. We're very rarely bored, filling our days walking, biking, climbing or just pottering, taking photos, foraging and ... Martin has just started fishing due to our recent trip to Norway!!

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We are 15 weeks into three years and while it still hasn't fully sunk in that this is away of life rather than a holiday, we'vee not been bored yet. We settled into a rhythm early in, move every three days, only short distances. Next we'll stay somewhere for maybe a month but who knows plans are a thing of the past.
With our plan, you'll have the safety net of a flat to return to.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think it's a great idea. Having a dog will mean that you will never be short of someone to pass the time of day with.
You can never regret the things you do however it works out, only the things you wanted to, but never did.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Go for it.

People regret the things they haven't done more than the the things they have done. You only get one go at life.:oops:

If you do get bored after two years you can reposses your flat for a while, have the odd day away, and then go full timing again if you get bored with that.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It cant be more boring than what you call the daily grind , most folks would say as the Aussies do " half your luck" , to a greatb degree life is as boring as you let it be , and free of a tie opens up a lot of possibilities to prevent boredom . Its probably that you are a bit nervous and are trying to think of all possible negatives , there will be plenty on here who will reassure you .

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I full timed for almost 2 years, totally unintentionally & the first 9 months unplanned ( only went on a 6 week trip). I was on my own apart from the 2 dogs and 2 cats and was never bored. I was more relaxed and more content than I am now, living back in a house. I really wish I could do it again.
You might only get this chance to do it , don't let that slip away. If you're planning to go to Europe you'll always pick up work ( diy, gardening, etc) in exchange for pitch with ehu if you get bored. But I bet you won't be!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming for over 8 years now and love it. The original plan was to do it for 2 years....

As for getting bored. I used to get bored when I was living in a stationary house. This resulted in me ending up going to the pub most nights.

Since fulltiming, my pub visits have been getting fewer and far between and I can't remember a single moment of boredom since I went fulltiming. This is in spite of the fact that I stopped working fulltime and now only work when I need to and then only for the necessary hours I need to each week. That said I am currently on a big contract which involves me working 20-25 hours a week which is allowing me to fix stuff and start saving for my next project vehicle :D Hoping this contract will be finished by Christmas so I can go back to being lazy again :D

Fulltiming suits some people and for others not so much. Me, I love it and honestly can't imagine living in a house again and being tied to living in one place for the rest of my days.

Good luck if you do decide to do it. Lots of people on here have done it and will be happy to answer any questions you may have (y)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
If you get bored go and explore this site and it will give you some ideas. Plus keep in touch on here for day to day contact and arrange to meet up.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Just a small thing like a good internet banishes the rare moments of boredom!!

When your travelling however, boredom doesn't exist!! Enjoy! Xx

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have recently returned from Spain and meet a few of the campsite residents. Lots of Germans seem to head for the Sun this time of year and wont be returning home till the new year. They and others seem to spend a lot of time sitting talking and passing bottles of wine and spirits round the table.

We came to the conclusion that Drinking makes them deaf as the more they consumed the louder they got.

We were away 8 weeks and looked forward to coming home. Its certainly nice to have some space and be able to stretch out without touching the walls.

This time we did far more Wild Camping than on previous occasions and found it far nicer than being stuck on a campsite. You also get to wake up next to the sea in some places. Out of the 8 weeks we spent 2 weeks on campsites getting washing done and having a few long showers.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We sold our house at the end of September and set off to Europe. We might buy another one in the spring - haven't decided where or what. Between March 2016 - March 2017 we were only at home for four weeks and then we were home for six months until we finally decided to sell the house. Away in the motorhome, I have an occasional boring afternoon when the rain is falling and we feel a bit hemmed in. At home, I was often bored or restless looking out at the same view (other people's houses) and wishing we were on the road. Selling up was scary but having done it we regret nothing - in fact, we're more relaxed than we ever were at home. We don't miss the house at all. I would say go for it and give it a try. If you don't like it you can go back - nothing lost and so much to gain. My main advice would be, try not to make too many plans for the future. Live in the moment - there is only now. Mags
You can read more about our travels in our blog (see address below)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We did it for 5 years and it was some of the best times we have ever had. Its not always easy but until you try you dont know. However, one thing that Ann insisted on was that we didnt sell the house. Instead we sold or gave away almost everything, put the rest into storage inc our lovely new big double bed! and rented out the house - but we did that through a local, effective agent. The rental income supported us and made possible most of our travels

Best wishes

Mike & Ann

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I sold my house back in August and have been fulltiming in the van since September, the first month I spent touring around the north of Scotland as I had a spell off work, the last month or so has been a little harder as it's getting colder now and as I'm still working up till Christmas I'm enduring the Scottish winter from a different angle than I'm used to. I find I get bored quite a bit if the weather is bad and I'm stuck inside more. I also find myself quite lonely and isolated sometimes if truth be known.....but I felt like that in the house too. I've not used a campsite once since I went full time other than 3 days spent at the Fife rally , the rest has been wildcamping , because while I'm working I have to stay fairly close by I have a few regular haunts that I know I can park up at safely so that can also be a bit dull but needs must.
I'm fortunate the days I'm working I can park overnight at work and we have showers etc there which is handy....i keep telling myself the adventure really starts once I get over to Spain in January as I've not been to mainland Spain so it will be all new ground. I do worry about the loneliness as having suffered depression before I'm worried that takes hold but I think new places and new faces may help that....im trying not to make concrete plans , I don't know if I'll fulltime forever or I'll go back to a house , I don't know if I'll try to stay in Spain forever or return to UK....plans have a way of changing so I'm trying to just go with the flow and see what happens.
I'm now just looking at it as a gap year holiday type thing and if that's all it is and I return to UK and work next year fair enough but I'm open to a different outcome

I'd say go for it you only live once

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If it was too boring you could go back and rent a flat with the income from your house if the house is let and get a job but I bet you will be fine.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I sold my house back in August and have been fulltiming in the van since September, the first month I spent touring around the north of Scotland as I had a spell off work, the last month or so has been a little harder as it's getting colder now and as I'm still working up till Christmas I'm enduring the Scottish winter from a different angle than I'm used to. I find I get bored quite a bit if the weather is bad and I'm stuck inside more. I also find myself quite lonely and isolated sometimes if truth be known.....but I felt like that in the house too. I've not used a campsite once since I went full time other than 3 days spent at the Fife rally , the rest has been wildcamping , because while I'm working I have to stay fairly close by I have a few regular haunts that I know I can park up at safely so that can also be a bit dull but needs must.
I'm fortunate the days I'm working I can park overnight at work and we have showers etc there which is handy....i keep telling myself the adventure really starts once I get over to Spain in January as I've not been to mainland Spain so it will be all new ground. I do worry about the loneliness as having suffered depression before I'm worried that takes hold but I think new places and new faces may help that....im trying not to make concrete plans , I don't know if I'll fulltime forever or I'll go back to a house , I don't know if I'll try to stay in Spain forever or return to UK....plans have a way of changing so I'm trying to just go with the flow and see what happens.
I'm now just looking at it as a gap year holiday type thing and if that's all it is and I return to UK and work next year fair enough but I'm open to a different outcome

I'd say go for it you only live once

You have the best of both worlds there, a job for part of the year if you want and then the chance to go off. Would your job still be open when/if you return.
Its good not to have too many concrete plans when fulltiming, just go with the flow.
I would have thought loneliness would improve when fulltiming, different areas and meeting different people, although campsites are a good place to get chatting and you are never using them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back