Motorhome Graphics (1 Viewer)

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
After reading a previous thread about restyling the MH with new graphics I thought this would be a good idea.
My question is what is the best way to remove the old stickers and, more importantly, the adhesive. "Don't do it " isn't an option as have already started !!
Any help would be very much appreciated.

cakeboy

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hot air gun helps remove them then a product called TAR & GLUE REMOVER available at most accessory shops deals with the residue.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Although I agree with the hot air gun theory, they can damage, but a Steam Gun would do far less and still soften the adhesive.

Then go and see your local graphics company for some wraps....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi CB, hot air gun -held well off- to warm stickers then as already said glue remover:thumb: but if you have a lot sensible use of petrol works great to remove the glue :thumb:
terry

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
It would be interesting to know what people thought of those "wraps" where the van is covered in vinyl graphis, even the bits with no "graphic" on them.Our van had graphics, but when they were removed, the sun had done its work. We are considering a partial respray, but a "wrap" may be better.........or not?

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
It would be interesting to know what people thought of those "wraps" where the van is covered in vinyl graphis, even the bits with no "graphic" on them.Our van had graphics, but when they were removed, the sun had done its work. We are considering a partial respray, but a "wrap" may be better.........or not?

You don't have to have Full Wraps....you can just have part and laquer over it ...thats what I will be doing on my Lambretta....

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Was it Gromett who has just done his van with vinyl wrap?not sure but will try to find it a few weeks back :winky:
terry
edit yep -http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/47326-motorhomes-freshen-up.html

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
That'll do for me, just need to spend some time now finding someone reliable to do it for me.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you have stubborn glue to remove:thumb: try WD40 it usually works on hard surfaces

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
All the trucks you see like Eddie Stowbarts Broken Link Removed
I think is wrapped not painted

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Everyone has gathered information about graphics, wraps, vinyl removal etc over the years. I have now signwritten over 24,000 vehicles since 1980 and IF a good vinyl is used then removal can be easily done by either standing the vehicle in the sun to slightly warm them up or a hair dryer on warm, NOT HOT. Excess heat either from steam or a heat gun regenerates the glue and sometimes makes it adhere more. There is no easy way so patience is a must so as not to cause paint or plastic damage. A few months ago a customer of mine purchased a motorhome from a dealer who had tried to remove some graphics. The result was severe blistering of the gelcoat, so keep away from a lot of heat.
Vehicle wraps are a recent concept and ideal for a reasonable short term fix, possibly 3 years, if a quality film is used. Most quality wrap vinyl is already fitted with a UV laminate which is enough to protect it from the elements but the lifespan is not great. Police wraps normally last about 3 years or so depending on useage like washing and chemicals etc. NEVER varnish a wrap or vinyl as sometimes the vinyl shrinks very slightly causing the varnish to crack. A GOOD vinyl should last as text/logos for upto 15 tears. Most graphics for the leisure industry are the cheapest so fading and cracking happens quickly. We used to manufacture for a motorhome/caravan manufacturer and they demanded good quality vinyl. When they sold out the new owner wanted the cheap and nasty stuff, that is when we ceased supplying them.
If any member is replacing graphics I would suggest they ask for either 3M or Fasson or a cast material of reput with at least a 15 year guarantee.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back