Another bad news thread for LPG (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
It's worth noting MFG is not just about the acquisition of Morrisons, they run many filling stations, in my area usually Esso and Shell branded. The availability is going to get more and more challenging :(
Also worth noting that CD&R (owners of MFG) are the buyers of Morrisons, and they want to sell MFG

Some talk that the Morrisons purchase ( with all its filling stations) may have caught the attention of the “monopolies” bods

MFG is £5 billion asking price, 10 times what they paid for it 7 years ago

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I am going to have a gaslow system fitted on Monday but you now cast doubt on it , I am now thinking do I go ahead or not , having one11kg and keeping one 6kg calor, as a belt n braces option.
That is how mine is set up at present.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
i have 1 11kg gas it refillable and a 6kg calor as a backup i have never had to use the calor in the last 5 years
Exactly the same set up and experience for us.

Has worked out well so far. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
How many MFG forecourts sell Autogas at present? They operate lots of forecourts but I doubt that all of them currently sell LPG. In other words how many LPG outlets does this decision affect.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I already have two 47kg bottles at the house that we use for cooking and have two Gas-IT bottles with external filler. How easy is it to safely fill the refillables from the larger cylinders? Ideally without moving the heavy bottles? I would say 6 meters is about as close as I can get the van.
You won't be able to do that by just connecting them together with a hose as all that will happen is the gas vapour from the full bottle will initially rush into the empty bottle, but when the empty bottle reaches the same pressure as the full bottle (probably just take a couple of seconds) the gas pressures in both bottles will be equal and no more gas will transfer.
What you need to do is transfer the liquid contents of the full bottle across (hence why you can hear a pump start up with forecourt filling) You can achieve this at home, but that opens another can of worms.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I am going to have a gaslow system fitted on Monday but you now cast doubt on it , I am now thinking do I go ahead or not , having one11kg and keeping one 6kg calor, as a belt n braces option.
That's the set up that works for us, except our 11kg refillable is Gas-it, rather than Gaslow. :giggle:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Exactly the same set up and experience for us.

Has worked out well so far. (y)
How has it worked out well when youve not had to use the small bottle for 5 years, I would say it’s not worked out well, no problem filling with lpg so I would say I wish I’d gone with x2 refillable?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had a refillable cylinder system since 2009 and wouldn't want anything else. We currently have 2 X 11kg Gaslow ones and have just had to swap over to the second one (at 4.41 am!) so 1 full cylinder has lasted us 23 days, no EHU etc to extend it, just travelling when fridge was on 12v. We'll top up the empty today as there's a Le Clerc a few km away with LPG at 88c a litre (approx 75p).

No way would I be without them!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How has it worked out well when youve not had to use the small bottle for 5 years, I would say it’s not worked out well, no problem filling with lpg so I would say I wish I’d gone with x2 refillable?
Why? If only having one refillable has worked there's no need for 2, thus no need for the spare either (although I'd still carry a spare 'something' just in case there were issues with the refillable).

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Why? If only having one refillable has worked there's no need for 2, thus no need for the spare either (although I'd still carry a spare 'something' just in case there were issues with the refillable).
Well if they had 2 refillables less filling up and you’re not carrying something just in case you never use

I suppose it depends on which way you’re looking at it

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We have 2 refillable 6 kg gaslow and it's only been on rare occasions that we have turned the second bottle on.
We have always managed to top up somewhere .So for this season we are starting with 2 X full 6 kgs so will see how we go. We do try to plan so that we start with filled bottles and may have small detours to fill up somewhere between sites. Any opportunity to top up is used even if it's only a couple of litres. (y)
Best of luck out there.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Definitely sticking with our 2 x Gas-it 11kg set-up. At the moment, there seems to be a shortage at the pumps in places, maybe due to the Ukraine conflict? Trago Mills near us has an auto-gas pump which has been out of order for a few weeks now, as they say they have no gas supply. However, there seem to be plenty of options still out there.

I gather that it’s possible to refill at some bulk supply locations and depots. Is that right? Can you turn up at a Calor or Flo-gas depot and refill, for example?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well if they had 2 refillables less filling up and you’re not carrying something just in case you never use

I suppose it depends on which way you’re looking at it
I agree and that's what we do as we prefer to have to fill less especially as we may be in out of the way places and/or settled and not wanting to move, but it's not a necessity.

When we had a Chausson it only had room for a single cylinder so we had no option then but to use the 11kg refillable we had on its own.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@ManTheVan

Definitely sticking with our 2 x Gas-it 11kg set-up.
So will we. (y)
I do miss our 80ltr bulk tank we had on the Hymer though. :(

I shall do my utmost to avoid being a victim of the highway robbery that Calor seems to get away with for domestic LPG.
€15 we paid for a 12Kg Spanish cylinder refill, compared to the £47 Calor charges for a 13Kg refill. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

TOT

Feb 7, 2022
UK and Ireland
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Depends on where you will be touring.. UK or EU / Other..? Until new van arrives, have been fortunate to manage with 2x 6kg in UK and IE + Belgium / Germany. When van arrives will move to 11kg Gasflow and one 6Kg Calor.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Well obviously everybody's view is different, but it's worked well for us.

1. Minimised initial investment by only requiring one large refillable bottle.

2. Backup always available, in case large single cylinder should inadvertently run out (which it hasn't). But at least peace of mind that all bases are covered - which is worth a lot.

3. Flexibility, if LPG unavailable, then again can revert to Calor.

4. No need to carry excess gas and weight, in order to meet our requirements.

As said, everybody's needs are different. Certainly have no ambitions or aspirations to install a second refillable cylinder. (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It’s a pity that the independent Andy’s Gas at Cribbs stopped access to their pump at the covid lockdown and has not opened it up again.
I am sure that if both Asda and Morrisons there both stopped, they would be able to attract all MHs with refillables coming anywhere near Bristol and make the pump viable especially if promoted within clubs and on apps. They also do the exchangeable bottles.
Time for clubs to reach out to them? Jim

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wonder what the running costs are for them selling lpg ? Maintaining pump, insurance, weights and measures etc. can’t imagine it’s cheap

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The great thing about running twin refillables is that I top up when abroad, so it’s cheaper, and easy to get. Returning home with full cylinders then allows many uk trips without requiring top up, which I will do back in France.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I wonder what the running costs are for them selling lpg ? Maintaining pump, insurance, weights and measures etc. can’t imagine it’s cheap
Probably not but I would be prepared for raised prices as for us, we do not have any alternative and would still be cheaper than calor bottles.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It’s a pity that the independent Andy’s Gas at Cribbs stopped access to their pump at the covid lockdown and has not opened it up again.
I am sure that if both Asda and Morrisons there both stopped, they would be able to attract all MHs with refillables coming anywhere near Bristol and make the pump viable especially if promoted within clubs and on apps. They also do the exchangeable bottles.
Time for clubs to reach out to them? Jim
As things stand, with.less demand from cars, you can see why big companies do not want MHs on their forecourts just for gas. Maximum I've ever spent on a refill is about £16, usually its just a top up of £4 or £5. I've some times asked for help, a big van taking up forecourt space, just getting in the way. And it's almost embarrassing, a few pennies against others' hundred pounds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back