Another bad news thread for LPG (1 Viewer)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
It's worth noting MFG is not just about the acquisition of Morrisons, they run many filling stations, in my area usually Esso and Shell branded. The availability is going to get more and more challenging :(

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've refilled fork lift bottles in the past. One place had a standard forecourt type electric pump which was easy enough, the other place had a floor mounted pump with a 4 foot long lever that you had to work back and forth, boy was that some workout !
I've just done a quick search and I can get a 12 volt lpg diaphragm type transfer pump for 6500 Rupees, what could possibly go wrong ? :LOL:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
It will, if I still had an RV on LPG I would apply to get an LPG tank at home and use that. Habitation gas only of course. :D
I remember back in the day RV club member converting his factory to Calor gas central heatingšŸ˜€

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It will, if I still had an RV on LPG I would apply to get an LPG tank at home and use that. Habitation gas only of course. :D
How much do you estimate that would cost?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I already have two 47kg bottles at the house that we use for cooking and have two Gas-IT bottles with external filler. How easy is it to safely fill the refillables from the larger cylinders? Ideally without moving the heavy bottles? I would say 6 meters is about as close as I can get the van.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I already have two 47kg bottles at the house that we use for cooking and have two Gas-IT bottles with external filler. How easy is it to safely fill the refillables from the larger cylinders? Ideally without moving the heavy bottles? I would say 6 meters is about as close as I can get the van.
you can get flexi pipes that will allow joining a large bottle to your van filler. however, 6m could be a big ask.

but, even 47kg bottles are not cheap per liter.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
As new petrol and diesel cars will be banned from 2030, there will be no new conversions of said vehicles. So I can see that from 2030 if not before more and more LPG fill points will disappear. Bottles will become the only option at some point in the not so distant future :(
Depends how big your tank is really, 120 litres so 100l usable means you can go a long time between fills. Plenty of big tanks out there so yes fewer garages but not a big problem. I cant see the point of 25 litre tanks.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Be cautious of any email from Nigeria requesting $1,500 for port fees to release a ship carrying 5 million cu. m. of LPG that the sender has just inherited.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
You will find if you link two different size bottles as soon as the pressure equals the gas will stop flowing. You may get a bit more if the donor bottle is higher the the other one. When we had our underslung tanks fitted we had a fitign that allows us to still use a bottle if required

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If they think you are going to use plenty of gas they supply the tank for nothing. But you'd need to be in a place off the gas grid.
A mate asked about that Jim as he has the tank. You also need the compressor and filling kit which wasnā€™t cheap so made it unviable for him.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It is quite worrying to hear of this lpg shortage, especially as we only have a small 25 litre underfloor tank if you run out. Is there any way that we could add an external cylinder as a plug in. Presumably we would need this cylinder to have a a regulator fitted.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I am going to have a gaslow system fitted on Monday but you now cast doubt on it , I am now thinking do I go ahead or not , having one11kg and keeping one 6kg calor, as a belt n braces option.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I am going to have a gaslow system fitted on Monday but you now cast doubt on it , I am now thinking do I go ahead or not , having one11kg and keeping one 6kg calor, as a belt n braces option.
Seems reasonable to me until things settle down

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It is quite worrying to hear of this lpg shortage, especially as we only have a small 25 litre underfloor tank if you run out. Is there any way that we could add an external cylinder as a plug in. Presumably we would need this cylinder to have a a regulator fitted.
Yes - there's an adapter lead that goes from the external cylinder to your filler point on the van.

The headline is that it doesn't fill your underslung tank but simply allows you to utilise your existing gas system with an external tank.

So all is not lost if LPG really does become unavailable.
https://www.gaslowshop.co.uk/reserve-cylinder-connection-hose/

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
You can get hoses with fittings that can connect a standard gas bottle valve to the inlet fitting for your tank. Would only work once your on board tank is empty as the bottle gas effectively vaporises from liquid in the bottle to then flow through the on board inlet and tank.

edit must type faster ;)

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The 0.2% of road demand obviously excludes motorhome underslung tanks, but I expect includes Taxis there are many industrial sites around with a LPG tank for their LPG forklifts these sites i doubt are shown on the apps but worth banging on a door or two asking and with cash in hand.

'Forklifts' raises a question.

Are new forklifts being sold powered by LPG?

If so, and with the increase in home deliveries and warehousing then it looks as though LPG will be around for a while, somewhere.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
LPG isn't disappearing at least not in bulk or bottled form. But those bulk systems are for heating or buildings, or industrial locations. Autogas which we as motorhomers rely on to have the public filling station points is going to be in more limited availability.

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
I'm going to carry on as normal and use LPG whenever I need to. Likewise I'm going to use it until there is none left in the UK. Then I'm still going to continue with my gaslow system.....

By making as many trips as possible throughout France, Spain, Italy and Portugal, filling up with LPG along the way. In fact any european country where it can be bought.

Whilst I enjoy reading posts on MHF, I'm not going to let any press stories ruin my use of the motorhome. Whilst I can still drive with all my faculties.

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Our Morrisons were 72.9 when I refilled last week . So glad I did now. Probably a silly thought but I wonder how much it would cost for us to have our own network of refillable gas by getting a tank fitted in the garden maybe.
What Morrisons did you fill at ? I had to go to Morrisons Kilmarnock 72 p.
Notice itā€™s up to 82 p now.ā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļø

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I have a Gaslow system with two 11kg bottles and an external bbq gas outlet. Is there any way I could feed a gas bottle into the bbq point to provide lpg for the motorhome from a portable gas cylinder?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Gaslow system with two 11kg bottles and an external bbq gas outlet. Is there any way I could feed a gas bottle into the bbq point to provide lpg for the motorhome from a portable gas cylinder?

Your bbq outlet is after your regulator on your Gaslow cylinders, so you will need a regulator on your external cylinder that your feeding lpg into your bbq outlet.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Two on Tour Thanks. I am trying to picture it. At present the gas supply is from the Gaslow bottles to the various appliances - Fridge, cooker, heating, water, and the bbq point. Are these all independent supplies branching from a main pipe? If so where will the gas from the external bottle via the bbq point go to?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My daughter tried 5 different places today to get a 6kg swap without luck in North Yorkshire.

I was able to top up my underslung tanks at Gate Helmsley. They always seem to have supply

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Two on Tour Thanks. I am trying to picture it. At present the gas supply is from the Gaslow bottles to the various appliances - Fridge, cooker, heating, water, and the bbq point. Are these all independent supplies branching from a main pipe? If so where will the gas from the external bottle via the bbq point go to?

From your Gaslow cylinders, your gas goes through a regulator which will reduce the gas down to a constant 30mb pressure for your appliances to run off.
You don't have independent supplies going to each of your appliances, it's one universal supply that feeds all your appliances from the same source.
If you feed regulated gas from an external cylinder into your bbq outlet, then you are feeding gas into the same linked pipework which will in turn supply all of your appliances, it's just that the place at which the gas enters your pipework is a different place than your Gaslow cylinders.

Look at your gas supply as a street and your appliances are houses on that street. If you come down the street from one end you can get to each of the houses down that street. If you come down the street from the other end you can still get to each of the houses along the street.
Now look at one of these houses as being your bbq outlet and it has access to the street. Feed in gas there and you feed the street.

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
It is becoming an issue. For all the inconvenience I recently made a decision to stick with bottles. I may add a small underslung tank later this year but keep the facility to add a bottle to the system. We only need to lose a few more forecourts and I think refillable tanks will lose the convenience they are famous for.
A very accurate and timely reply .
I consider you to be a mouthpiece for the industry with a huge amount of experience.
Itā€™s a shame really as the refillable options would have been something we could have used in the future . Food for thought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back