Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
anyone need an airbag ECU?
I think it needs to be the same part number as your original to work correctly.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Posted airbag module noon Wednesday paid for next day delivery, Crashdata received, fixed it and posted it Thursday. Received midday Friday fitted and tested all OK so passed MOT. Good service from both Post Office and Crashdata. Photo of label with fault highlighted View attachment 582524attached by Crashdata.
Did crash data advise the optimum battery voltage range?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Posted airbag module noon Wednesday paid for next day delivery, Crashdata received, fixed it and posted it Thursday. Received midday Friday fitted and tested all OK so passed MOT. Good service from both Post Office and Crashdata. Photo of label with fault highlighted View attachment 582524attached by Crashdata.
I wonder why there are no readings on the report printout. So you cannot see what the voltage reading was. Or have they been deliberately hidden behind the sticky label?
This was my report
84ACA2E3-498E-41CF-BC9D-EFB173E223F9.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
From reading this thread it appears waiting on a new unit from Fiat doesn’t appear to be as big a problem as this time last year when there were simply none for months. Does anyone know if the supply situation has improved?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have been thinking WHY does the unit fail? No problems supposedly with white van man so is it low voltage then a surge when alternator kicks in. Mine had failed, had Crashdata reset it, ensured battery charged, installed and sorted.
Collected from storage 1 month later and unit failed ! Has battery gone low despite solar charge? No problem starting and no dimming of dash lights. Received back from Crashdata that rang to advise unit could be on last legs. Their report was low voltage. I drove towards MOT centre the long way to ensure battery charged, disconnected negative on battery, connected unit, connected battery and sorted and a MOT pass!
Do I now disconnect unit until engine has topped up battery, do I take battery home and put on charge and take back to storage?
What can be done, little I guess

image0.jpeg

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
I have been thinking WHY does the unit fail? No problems supposedly with white van man so is it low voltage then a surge when alternator kicks in. Mine had failed, had Crashdata reset it, ensured battery charged, installed and sorted.
Collected from storage 1 month later and unit failed ! Has battery gone low despite solar charge? No problem starting and no dimming of dash lights. Received back from Crashdata that rang to advise unit could be on last legs. Their report was low voltage. I drove towards MOT centre the long way to ensure battery charged, disconnected negative on battery, connected unit, connected battery and sorted and a MOT pass!
Do I now disconnect unit until engine has topped up battery, do I take battery home and put on charge and take back to storage?

View attachment 594684
Have sent mine to crash data twice in 12 months and both times they have stated that the voltage was too high at 14.1v. A friend suggested that maybe adding some sort of suppressor to the alternator may prevent this but I don't understand electrics.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I watched the battery level, as shown on control panel not with direct multi meter, whilst starting up for first time this year yesterday. Van on EHU and solar with battery master over winter.

With ignition on, read 12v. Turned off radio and cab heating, went up to 12,2. Started engine (easily), dropped to 10.5 :eek:before recovering to 12.2. After drive approx 1.5 hrs, moved up to to 13.2 but it was still warm, now after a day in patchy sunshine 12.7 .
I know starting takes a lot out, so I imagine all starter batteries might drop to at least 11.5 even if used every day as a working van.
It would be good to know at what point the airbag ECU starts up and does it’s checks. Hopefully a few seconds at least after engine and alternator get going.?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Dropping below 11v when cranking is quite normal but I wouldn't be happy with a resting voltage of 12 - 12.2v. With it being kept charged with solar I would expect it to be over 12.7v. Maybe time for a new battery.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Dropping below 11v when cranking is quite normal but I wouldn't be happy with a resting voltage of 12 - 12.2v. With it being kept charged with solar I would expect it to be over 12.7v. Maybe time for a new battery.
Could be, it’s 7 years old from van conversion so probably a little older from factory. It’s 12.7 tonight no solar on it now so I will keep an eye on it.
I am now thinking the airbag ecu does it’s checks when ignition turned on. Therefore another reason to wait for those checks before starting.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

View attachment 594684
If you check your milage ,looks like the unit possibly failed at 28598 miles,the remaining checks show 30987 miles so a large discrepancy there. Any reason for that?
Did you not have any issues with leaving the ECU off until you got to the mot station and reconnecting there. I thought you could not drive the van with the ecu taken off?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
If you check your milage ,looks like the unit possibly failed at 28598 miles,the remaining checks show 30987 miles so a large discrepancy there. Any reason for that?
Did you not have any issues with leaving the ECU off until you got to the mot station and reconnecting there. I thought you could not drive the van with the ecu taken off?
The fault occurred abroad. Put light on but didn’t stop use.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
In view of all the failures attributed to low voltage it may be prudent to disconnect the airbag ecu during lengthy storage periods.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Yes. That is what I said earlier:

I drove towards MOT centre the long way to ensure battery charged, disconnected negative on battery, connected unit, connected battery and sorted and a MOT pass!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could be, it’s 7 years old from van conversion so probably a little older from factory. It’s 12.7 tonight no solar on it now so I will keep an eye on it.
I am now thinking the airbag ecu does it’s checks when ignition turned on. Therefore another reason to wait for those checks before starting.
You can't judge the state of the battery unless you disconnect the Battery master.
Yes worth waiting until most of the warning lights have gone out, before starting.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

I drove towards MOT centre the long way to ensure battery charged, disconnected negative on battery, connected unit, connected battery and sorted and a MOT pass!
Thanks, sorry did not read that originally ,I thought you could not drive with the ecu not connected. (y)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The solder doesn't look very shiny 🤔
Maybe it's been a bit damp?

View attachment 594885
Yes. Nice observation. Closer to connector looks much better.
Larby do you still have the Unit, has this been declared dead by crashdata. I would be quite interested in the resistance to the 0V line on the connector to 0V . Then repeat measurement after drying out 60C for 4hours .
or even test it in a van. Are there any obvious corrosion points anywhere on the mechanical mounts?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Yes. Nice observation. Closer to connector looks much better.
Larby do you still have the Unit, has this been declared dead by crashdata. I would be quite interested in the resistance to the 0V line on the connector to 0V . Then repeat measurement after drying out 60C for 4hours .
or even test it in a van. Are there any obvious corrosion points anywhere on the mechanical mounts?

My post #37 will help answer your question. Connection plugs and sockets looked fine. No corrosion evident

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
2017 Ducato. MOT due next Tuesday, so I have been doing a few checks. Switched on and the Airbag warning has come on :oops:
Running Multicuscan confirms internal error on the Airbag Module and quotes a voltage of 11.8
How the hell did that happen? Solar keeping things nicely topped up all winter....
Oh well, a call to CrashData me thinks.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
2017 Ducato. MOT due next Tuesday, so I have been doing a few checks. Switched on and the Airbag warning has come on :oops:
Running Multicuscan confirms internal error on the Airbag Module and quotes a voltage of 11.8
How the hell did that happen? Solar keeping things nicely topped up all winter....
Oh well, a call to CrashData me thinks.

have you tried resetting it with the Multiecuscan?

i was fortunate enough to clear mine a few weeks ago with Multiecuscan.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
No one really knows why. We guess!
Take out module, complete online form, post to Crashdata. May be back by Tuesday. Ensure battery fully charged.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Therefore another reason to wait for those checks before starting.
On my transit it specifically states not to start until all the check lights have gone out due to possible corruption of the electronics if you do. Not good if you happen to stall & have to wait 7 or 8 seconds before you can restart:giggle:
I thought you could not drive the van with the ecu taken off?
it is only for the air bags etc, runs perfectly well without being connected.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

To be honest with you I'd now unplug it until the next mot.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Multicuscan would not clear it. B0100-49 internal error.

View attachment 603712

I must admit when it happened to me , same as yourself, just checking things over! i thought the worst but plugged in and was able to clear the error; I guess i was lucky...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back