The most Useless purchase for a MoHo (3 Viewers)

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve another useless (to me) item, I don’t drink from the fresh ish water tank, only for showering/flushing & washing up, so I use a watering can & a 10l water carrier, so my “another” useless thing (to me) is my hose that is brand new & still in wrapper after a nigh on year.
So
1 - hose
2 - possibly safari room
3 - collapsible drying tray (with holey bottom)
I’ve been mh’ing for a year, nearly, got plenty of time for more “useless to me” thingys then
Keep the hose handy. You will need it one day. The rest is optional.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Keep the hose handy. You will need it one day. The rest is optional.
Oh! And you are right - don't drink from your fresh water tank. Get drinking water direct from a fresh water tap or a bottle.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Oh! And you are right - don't drink from your fresh water tank. Get drinking water direct from a fresh water tap or a bottle.
Sorry cannot agree re drinking from the tank we always have done and never had a problem doing so. There are quite a lot of people that try to scare people from doing this. I do wonder why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry cannot agree re drinking from the tank we always have done and never had a problem doing so. There are quite a lot of people that try to scare people from doing this. I do wonder why?

I agree. I was drinking from my tank in my boat for 30 years and now in the MH for 11 years.

Mind you the water was often 'diluted' somehow. :LOL:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Sorry cannot agree re drinking from the tank we always have done and never had a problem doing so. There are quite a lot of people that try to scare people from doing this. I do

they all bought shares in peckham springs

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Really good that you have have never had a problem and I hope that continues - I haven't had a problem either.

There are a number of factors that concern me - not least among which are the possible impacts on babies and the younger member of my travelling party
How do we clean our tanks to ensure that all bacterial contaminants have been fully eradicated?
How do we ensure that the chemicals we use to clean our tanks are fully purged from our pipes before we consume water?
How can we ensure that the water we take on is not contaminated by poor water quality management at source or poor hygiene by fellow campers -eg. I have seen campers washing grey water tanks with splashing drinking water. I have also seen campers filling water tanks from drinking water points after emptying their toilet cassettes and before washing their hands properly.
It is now becoming clear that coronavirus can be detected in waste water - unless users and disposers of water are absolutely meticulous in hygiene in the disposal of waste water our intake of fresh water could carry contaminants.
There is also the consideration of water management practices here in the UK and elsewhere - like Spain or other Med countries - I travel and have lived a fair bit in warmer countries and would never drink directly from the taps. Along with many of the locals I always buy bottled for drinking - and even that contains some risks.
It would be great to get guarantees from water companies and water purification producers about their products. If they did give these that would be reassuring. But even then they would not be able to guarantee that they could protect us against people who do not choose to observe the hygiene standards that we expect.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
But most don't drink the lovely Yorkshire water but that hard stuff they call water...!🤣🤣🤣
Apparently recycled several times in the south east!💩💩💩

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Awe man, just throw a few pounds around and buy one😁
Had 3 confirmed deliveries of our new one. Latest confirmed delivery is this week. We threw a few pounds about last year, £65Ks of em to buy a brand new one that lasted a full 15 miles before it also blew:giggle::cry:

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
this thread reminds me of One mans meat is another mans poison
My thoughts exactly....I have
Plastic glasses and plates, I wont allow proper glasses in van
Pop up bowl and drainer
8 windbreaks, car shows/racetracks tend to be in wide open areas
Only 1 flagpole, unfortunately 1 died at the pod in the freak typhoon last november.....it was only 14 years old ☹
Had a kruga safari room then moved on to an omnistor residence room for at the racetrack, bought secondhand and still keep it just in case we site permanently in the future
But then I have a cobb which the majority of people consider a massive waste of money but had it over 10 years and love it 🤷‍♂️

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Never thought I'd the Endless Breeze fan on this list
Brilliant on hot nights, and I only find it noisey on speed 3, can easily sleep with it on 1 or 2
Maybe my expectation were too high (I'm quite sensitive to night-time noise) but we'll see how often it gets used on our trip to Italy. At least there should be a good second hand market for it if we decide its not for us :cool:

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Wind break that requires a PhD in mechanics to erect.
collapsible water bucket.
A thing to hang small items on for drying but only ever gets tangled up in garage.
A very expensive Ventura Tall porch awning with fancy lightweight poles plus the annexe - available if anyone interested!!!!
Screw in plastic pegs - rubbish!

I have a garage (at home) full of discarded bits and pieces over a period of 30+ years that all work but no longer needed. I hate throwing out things that still work. Probably why I’m still married……….:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Mar 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728
Exp
Since 1995
2kw inverter.

Tested once but not used in anger for the whole of 4 years we had our previous motorhome.

Jan 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago
We bought a dinghy. Used it the once. Heavy little blighter. Sold it in lockdown.

fileygirl

Free Member
Mar 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis 105
A large oblong bucket, for washing the bugs off the van. I also use it to empty the waste water. I'm lazy I don't want to move the van very often. A watering can so I can top the van up. The bucket is great for travelling with the hose and bits and bobs.

Apr 5, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 1994
Over the years like most folk, we have purchased all manner of STUFF for the MoHo and also like most have items stuffed away that never get used:-
Waste-master​
Folding Bucket​
Trolley​
Folding washbasin​
Washing tub​
3 lots of salt and pepper shakers.. (cus they look pretty she says - no luv you cannot see them in the back of the cupboard says me)​
Emergency FrayBentos - exactly how long do they last?​
Waders....!​
Inflatable sit on ring.​
Hab Service coming up so can leave most of the unused stuff out me thinks - just like we did not the previous - not.

So to top all, last week ordered a new Wok only to find that we had ordered an XL version which barely sits on the burner ring at home let alone the one in the MoHo - it actually falls off...!

.................. what is the most useless item you have bought for your MoHo..?
It’s a toss up between the third paella pan and the spare inner tubes numbers three to nine (never had a puncture in all the years we’ve been Mohoing).

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
We bought our latest van a month before Covid19 was confirmed so what with that and ailing 104 Yr old mother, the only item so far unused are the four round black things, one on each corner........ Hoping to need them this year.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Folding drainer it has holes in the bottom!

No use for me without a drainer!!
We have to put down the glass cover over the hobs to act as a draining area. The collapsable drainer is then put over a draining mat or towel, providing opportunity to reduce menial labour via the miracle of evaporation*

*that assumes The Gruppenfuhrer allows me to dodge the drying up duties… :rolleyes:

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We bought our latest van a month before Covid19 was confirmed so what with that and ailing 104 Yr old mother, the only item so far unused are the four round black things, one on each corner........ Hoping to need them this year.
We feel your pain. Dad is a very dependant 91 and, just to get away for a weekend costs us £100 for a carer

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Regarding cadacs. We've had one for probably 4 years now. Never blown out, never caught fire, always good to cook on. Nothing better than a full English breakfast all cooked in the same pan, then soak up the fat by making fried bread.

If you don't use the wire pot support with the paella pan, it withstands much stronger winds. I also have an external gas port and 3m of hose. I will be getting a longer length when the current one expires as I'm fed up removing fat splatter from the side of the van.

Aug 31, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Camping since 1995, VW van (2009), MH (2015), PVC from 2022.
We have a lovely must-have, indispensable, multi-coloured, collapsible sieve and a bright green, rubbery, oversized dish drainer (I think that’s what it is) * - both rarely used, and now take up valuable storage space in our new PVC. SWMBO likes them, but I need a plan to get rid of them …

* BTW we still have a compact metal wire dish drainer and a cheap plastic colander from our campervan days.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Over the years like most folk, we have purchased all manner of STUFF for the MoHo and also like most have items stuffed away that never get used:-
Waste-master​
Folding Bucket​
Trolley​
Folding washbasin​
Washing tub​
3 lots of salt and pepper shakers.. (cus they look pretty she says - no luv you cannot see them in the back of the cupboard says me)​
Emergency FrayBentos - exactly how long do they last?​
Waders....!​
Inflatable sit on ring.​
Hab Service coming up so can leave most of the unused stuff out me thinks - just like we did not the previous - not.

So to top all, last week ordered a new Wok only to find that we had ordered an XL version which barely sits on the burner ring at home let alone the one in the MoHo - it actually falls off...!

.................. what is the most useless item you have bought for your MoHo..?
Emergency Fray Bentos - that made me laugh. I put one in our caravan years ago and it’s still there. In my experience of occasional FB meals, it won’t matter how long I’ve kept it, fresh or old they have the same effect. I’ll spare the details but it’s on a par with Imodium.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Regarding cadacs. We've had one for probably 4 years now. Never blown out, never caught fire, always good to cook on. Nothing better than a full English breakfast all cooked in the same pan, then soak up the fat by making fried bread.

If you don't use the wire pot support with the paella pan, it withstands much stronger winds. I also have an external gas port and 3m of hose. I will be getting a longer length when the current one expires as I'm fed up removing fat splatter from the side of the van.
Interesting point about hose length. I just bought my first Cadac this week and it says the hose mustn’t be longer than 1.5 metres and my first thought was (just like you’ve experienced), what about fat splashes. I think I’ll use a ‘generous’ 1.5 metres.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

Largely mirrors our experience, had the same Cadac since circa 2016/17, tends to just work unless subjected to pretty strong wind, but that is what the wind break is for. When away in good weather it’s our most commonly used cooking appliance.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Ridge Monkey has never been used and now consigned to the shed. I've no idea how I ended up with it, but I've loads of fresh water hose in the shed too.

Been a while since we were away but we've got a three weeker coming up in May so we may find a few more bits that there is no point in having on board.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting point about hose length. I just bought my first Cadac this week and it says the hose mustn’t be longer than 1.5 metres and my first thought was (just like you’ve experienced), what about fat splashes. I think I’ll use a ‘generous’ 1.5 metres.
I've been using a hose slightly longer than 3 metres without a problem for years. Just be careful to always check that it is in good condition along its length and at the terminal fittings. Always run it where it cannot become a trip hazard. A fall over a pipe would be bad enough. But a fall followed by a tray of hot fat/water on the back of the neck could be nasty.

Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fairly new, since Sept 2016
We use our oven (have a separate grill, how over the top!) for storage. I use the slow cooker and the remoska. I also think 3 gas rings and an electric ring on the hob is ridiculous, I only ever use a maximum of two rings at home anyway. We do use our collapsible buckets - one is for clean water and the other for grey water - if we run short of water just before we are leaving or if the grey water tank is full just before leaving. We too, bought a windbreak, used it once and decided to never use it again, too much of a palaver. I would add that a fishing box is pretty useless too but then my OH would most probably disagree!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back