New thread Mercedes 614 D (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Condition average. The previous owner has completely striped and cut out all the rust with tons of welding but then didn't paint it very well so now some rust is showing through

After collection from Belfast I realised that I had overpaid by a few grand as the body was not as good as I thought it was, but after travelling so far to get it I had to commit. The interior is also not done to very high standard and I thought from the images that it was better which is also why I paid so much for the thing.

Anyway, the good is that it has a 24Volt system with a Victron 100/50 MTTP charge controller for 800 watt of Hyundai solar panels. 2 X AGM 100AMP leisure batteries wired for 24 Volt, 2 X 100AMP starter batteries. Diesel blown air central heating, Shower that works only from Solar panels? It has a Renogy DC to DC battery charger with a 3000watt invertor. The bus has WIFI with a dual sim WIFI router and a built it Projector and Amazon Echo Dot for well I am not sure

Dometic Fridge/Freezer which I might sell as I have a portable fridge/freezer Alpocol one anyway.
Gas Hob

Doesn't have a hook-up
Doesn't have a grey water tank, so a little confused as to how the sink and shower work, but will investigate

59000 KMS which is 37000 miles so incredibly low milage. Used to be a school bus and was driven 6 miles a day (2002) Unless its done over 1 million miles which I doubt. I am trying to investigate the MOT history but it was imported from ROI to NI. I do have the ROI registration so need to call Ireland and see.

The bus seems to take a bit to start, normally two attempts so I need to look in to this

I will upload some images soon but as you might expect I have a ton of general questions. Most around MOT and Bodywork.

The is only one seat (driver), up front because of the steps in to the bus (converted panel van to minibus and then to camper), but I would like to install two more seats but obviously this needs to be done properly and be MOT safe with seat belts etc. Any comments on this part of the conversion would be great. Not sure what is required to make a seat legal

I also need to know what oil it takes and what the tyre pressures would be. 215/75 R16s?

Another issue is the Northern Irish MOT. I am trying to tax it and cant do it online. So phoned DVLA and they couldn't do it over the phone but told me that the post office could because it is only a visual check that the vehicle has an MOT, but I was unsure of this and I got the feeling that the lady didn't want to deal with it or didn't know how too. Anybody know what is required at the post office to tax a vehicle?

Cheers

Apr 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Self conversion merc
Exp
Since 1998
Hi welcome to the 614 club ha
Tyre pressure for me 60 all round
Oil 10w-40
Recomend change brake fluid to dot 4 from merc. Sorted out all my brake judder probs. Good luck Chris

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
10 w40 thanks

I have a very hard brake peddle feels like there might be air in the system, its very high and only goes down an inch

Can you tell me what the knobs do? Everything has been sprayed and I can see them. The very right-hand one is the blower and this works when the engine isn't running but I dont think it works when engine running?

As for the others I have no idea and they are very loose and fall so I assume the little bit of metal is missing from them? Similar to hob knobs :) I mean knobs on ones gas hob

So spare parts suppliers are very high on list, if anyone knows any?

I have tax now, so no problem at the PO with and NI MOT. I couldn't do it online as it couldn't find the MOT. But the PO told me its only a visual inspection that I have a MOT. And the only reason they have that bit online, i.e. 12 digit reference number on new keepers supplement is to verify you have an MOT, otherwise they would need a system to upload scans or PDF's

So spart knobs and I need a wing mirror outside case?

Thanks Peeps

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Oh and 10W40 semi synthetic is the same as my Toyota petrol, is that correct?

And to my embarrassment how do I open the bonnet? Sorry its 1 mile from my internet and computer

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a look at Tam's thread, it's paused at the moment as he is away for a few months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Hi

Help with RCD, the van has a 3000 Watt invertor with an extension lead plugged in which then goes to the 240V plugs. Any suggestions on an RCD Unit, small one. I dont suppose it needs to be very heavy weight in amperage. I might run a microwave at best 800 watt and 6 sockets with USBs that will charge laptops, tablets and run 2 x raspberry Pi's with two 23 inch monitors. So would need protection for the microwave, one spare, one for the plug sockets and one for raspberry PI's and monitors

Any suggestions would be great, or if anyone has one and wants to sell it??

Oh and how would I wire it up to the invertor, as most invertors just have two plug sockets on them?

Thanks

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Nice!

Pics???

Tam will be along shortly but he's a bit busy ATM....!

Cheers James

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Some old rust removal pics, but it is coming through a little so need to deal with it.

Will upload some more tomorrow

I need a user guide and aa workshop manual and some advice on spare parts, where should I get them?

I have the back of my wing mirror has been broken but can only find whole mirrors for £80 ish. My VW T2, I could get a mirror back for 5 quid :(

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (19).jpg
unnamed (36).jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Good grief it was extremely corroded in some areas by looking at those pictures.

Good luck with everything

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Yes, that was about 2 years ago and everything was done, but there are some surface rust coming through because it was hand painted I suspect. Just needs a tidy with a little rust on hinges, wing mirror poles, but nothing around windows or lights etc so I hope when I take a sander to it, it doesn't just explode in to a massive pile of rust

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Some more of the work

Attachments

• unnamed (21).jpg
    unnamed (21).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 61
  • unnamed (22).jpg
    unnamed (22).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 61
  • unnamed (24).jpg
    unnamed (24).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 65
  • unnamed (25).jpg
    unnamed (25).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 61
  • unnamed (28).jpg
    unnamed (28).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 61
  • unnamed (30).jpg
    unnamed (30).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 64
  • unnamed (35).jpg
    unnamed (35).jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 60
  • unnamed (37).jpg
    unnamed (37).jpg
    152 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed (38).jpg
    unnamed (38).jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed (39).jpg
    unnamed (39).jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed (41).jpg
    unnamed (41).jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 56
  • unnamed (43).jpg
    unnamed (43).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed (44).jpg
    unnamed (44).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed (20).jpg
    unnamed (20).jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 64
  • unnamed (18).jpg
    unnamed (18).jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 56
  • unnamed (17).jpg
    unnamed (17).jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 54
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    135 KB · Views: 53
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 53
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 52
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 54
  • unnamed (11).jpg
    unnamed (11).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 53
  • unnamed (12).jpg
    unnamed (12).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 52
  • unnamed (13).jpg
    unnamed (13).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 51
  • unnamed (14).jpg
    unnamed (14).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 50
  • unnamed (15).jpg
    unnamed (15).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 49
  • unnamed (16).jpg
    unnamed (16).jpg
    102 KB · Views: 52
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
OMG, that is shocking, I hope for your sake that he did a proper job, would have been easier to make a new body and only have kept the chassis, your definitely a lot braver then me ! Good luck, you are going to need it😇🤷🏻‍♂️👀

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Never saw this lot until after :)

Ah not to worry most has been done. Apparently it was used for 11 years to ferry public schools kids on school trips. I thought it was a school bus but have found out that it was only used for school trips. After they stopped using it, it sat for 9 years outside. Hence the rust but with thee low millage of 37000

Lets hope it doesn't break in the middle :)

I am going to turn it in to an expedition truck, fully loaded and drive to SA in it

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Oh dear

Didn't notice that it only has the driver seat with seat belts :) Well I did but didn't think my partner would mind

Two things about this I have researched.

1. in the early 80's 90% of drivers didn't wear a seat belt. Now I am not saying this was right just that this safety always comes up when talking about seat belts and becomes a sort of quest from people
2. You would probably be dead if you had a crash anyway because your microwave, hob, oven, fridge, TV, gas bottles, knifes, food and tins of beans would be flying around. I know someone who knows someone who was killed by a laptop bouncing around in a car

Now I have that out the way my partner wants me to fit a seat

This bus used to be a minibus and was converted in to a camper so I am hoping that underneath the laminate floor there will be some chassis strong enough to attach some seats which can easily be brought on ebay with belts. I have also seen some Unwin Rails but I am unsure if these would fit any seat?

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Hoe does one go about washing a vehicle this size with solar panels on the top?

Apr 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Self conversion merc
Exp
Since 1998
Step ladder and walk on roof

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have total admiration for your passion and ambition and do hope you achieve the gaols you have set yourself with this vehicle. I and l suspect 99% of the people on this forum would even consider this project. Good luck.

OP
OP
albertramsbot
Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
I have total admiration for your passion and ambition and do hope you achieve the gaols you have set yourself with this vehicle. I and l suspect 99% of the people on this forum would even consider this project. Good luck.
You might right :) but TBF it looks a lot better now and has been fully converted, although perhaps not to my standard but is ready to go on a trip

Its just the size of the thing, taking a bit of getting used to. I need reversing sensors or camera

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back