Medication Refills in Spain Availability (2 Viewers)

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
We're trying to sort out a roughly 75-80 days trip to Spain but are running into problems in getting more than 8 weeks supply of medication. The GP surgery has promised to come back to me next week with an answer on whether the Doctor is prepared to issue an additional 4 weeks prescription, but this may prove difficult, not least because a couple of my tablets were out of stock on my last prescription and it took 3 or 4 days for them to be supplied. We don't have relatives who can get a prescription whilst we are away [and the changed Customs/Export regs post Brexit might well cause problems anyway].

I am quite happy to pay in Spain for my prescription [just part of the holiday cost], the problem is being able to get the medication. I had my heart attack in Spain, so I can probably find the hospital paperwork and Spanish prescription from 2020 and I can produce my customer copy of my latest Scottish prescription to prove my bona fides. I'd be interested to know if any Funster has needed to obtain medication recently. I'm not looking for Spanish Health System 'subsidised' prices, because I'm not a Spanish resident. It's purely a question of whether I can buy the medication over the counter.

The medication involved is: Ivabradine 5mg; Omeprazole 20mg; Ramipril 10mg; Ezetrol [Ezetemibe] 10mg; and, lastly soluble Aspirin 75mg [which I know that I can buy over the counter!]

As usual, TIA for any advice on the way to solve the problem!

Steve

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I wouldn't do anything yet, the doctor will probably give you 3 months worth, ours always has done without question. Maybe it depends on what meds you're on though.

Edit: Mine is 5mg Ramipril... We'll probably get loads of adverts for it popping up now 🙄

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
My wife takes 6 different tablets a day, in France called into a medical centre saw the doc 23 Euros took prescription to Chemist all six came to 14 Euros. Have been in French Chemists with the prescription and got them just said came away on holiday and lost tables. Spain and Portugal just showed them the empty packet no problems. Any medicine you take with you make sure you keep them in the original packages. Also having the repeat script helps.

OP
OP
D

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
You can certainly buy the Omeprazole over the counter. If you want I can call into our local Farmacia and ask about the rest. If no one else comes along with a definitive answer I am happy to do this. Andrea.
Thanks, very much, Andrea, that would be very kind! I am happy to pay 'List Price' and I will have a copy of my latest prescription [picked up15 minutes ago for 8 weeks supply!] and whatever other paperwork is required! I await your next post!

The irony is, if we can get away from the Scottish Winter weather, my health will improve, I'm more likely to take more exercise in the Winter Sun, and I'll eat more salad and fruit etc, so should be less likely to need NHS support than if I stay in Scotland, freeze my bits off, and collect my next prescription in 6-7 weeks time! Quirks of the system!

Regards.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
My wife takes 6 different tablets a day, in France called into a medical centre saw the doc 23 Euros took prescription to Chemist all six came to 14 Euros. Have been in French Chemists with the prescription and got them just said came away on holiday and lost tables. Spain and Portugal just showed them the empty packet no problems. Any medicine you take with you make sure you keep them in the original packages. Also having the repeat script helps.
I fouled up my meds calculation when away in France so had to plead with the Pharmacist to issue a 1 month supply of Rivaroxaban in about 2016. She said she could supply the Tablets, but couldn't split a pack to issue me with 10 days supply [the extent of my calculation foul up]. 'No problems,' I replied breezily, how much do I owe you?' 'Almost £54,' she replied [about £2.93 per tablet ... will never forget that price!].

Ironically, I had been on a Car Forum, gloating at the refilling with French Diesel, and how I had saved some £18 on the tankful. I did have to add a post confessing that I would need 2 further refills of diesel to get back to break even ... Not my greatest organisational triumph ... :LOL:

Steve

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I give my surgery plenty of notice and get all my meds regardless of the length of my holiday. I think the NHS limit is 3 months but I have exceeded that on a few occasions and initially my surgery had a manager who was a right jobs worth and I had to get a private prescription to top up my meds then after challenging the surgery they relented as I asked to see my doctor to resolve this issue. Hopefully common sense will prevail !

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You can certainly buy the Omeprazole over the counter. If you want I can call into our local Farmacia and ask about the rest. If no one else comes along with a definitive answer I am happy to do this. Andrea.
In Mazarron Andrea they may say yes....however in other Autonomous regions not.....I found this our when in Asturias last year for Anti-inflammatory over the counter drugs.... I've got them on Script now...

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
This drives me bats. We are all treated with suspicion - we're obviously potentially drug dealers. I blame you for this, you have a suspicious sounding voice, or maybe it's yer andbag, that has the word 'SWAG' painted on the side? Not down to me, anyway.

If I haven't embezzled the NHS or even been arrested for anything else in my life yet, I think the chances of my doing it this week are pretty slim really, don't you? But yet they still don't apparently trust me. The chances of their finding a cure for Diabetes any time soon are equally slim. So - Gimme what I need to stay alive till I get back off holiday!

OP
OP
D

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
One step forward, two steps back. Postman has just delivered a Citation for Jury Service! I ducked an earlier Citation because it clashed with a Rally I'd booked, and they did say that they would make me liable for selection 'from the end of September'. Less than 2 weeks after this ...

COVID has led to Falkirk Sherriff Court being closed and Cases transferred to a new facility in Dunfermline, so Fife residents are copping for far more of these 'random selections' for Jury Service. Between me and Elaine, this is our 3rd Citation in less than 6 months, which seems less than random. 'Targeted' seems a better descriptor :unsure:

Steve

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
One step forward, two steps back. Postman has just delivered a Citation for Jury Service! I ducked an earlier Citation because it clashed with a Rally I'd booked, and they did say that they would make me liable for selection 'from the end of September'. Less than 2 weeks after this ...

COVID has led to Falkirk Sherriff Court being closed and Cases transferred to a new facility in Dunfermline, so Fife residents are copping for far more of these 'random selections' for Jury Service. Between me and Elaine, this is our 3rd Citation in less than 6 months, which seems less than random. 'Targeted' seems a better descriptor :unsure:

Steve
Does this mean that you have to postpone your holiday?

When you come to Spain are you touring in different regions or going directly to one place?

Do you still want me to enquire at the Farmacia?

I did jury service many years ago, it was so boring, hope you get an interesting case!

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019

Steve

some of us think we have been targeted by never being called, either of us. Now aged 69 & 70, not much time left!

OP
OP
D

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
some of us think we have been targeted by never being called, either of us. Now aged 69 & 70, not much time left!
Be my guest! I'd prefer to be heading towards the Autumn and Winter Sun ... It's quite frustrating because you have to phone the Jury Attendance Update Line 'several times throughout the week' to quote the Instructions, to establish whether you are needed ... So it's quite feasible that I shall be kicking my heels for 7-10 days before being told that I am not required this time around.

Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The medication involved is: Ivabradine 5mg; Omeprazole 20mg; Ramipril 10mg; Ezetrol [Ezetemibe] 10mg; and, lastly soluble Aspirin 75mg [which I know that I can buy over the counter!]
Omeprazole = otc no problem
Ivabradine = ivabradina = no idea about otc
ramipiril is similar to enalapril = otc . Enalapril is only 1,61€otc for 28 tablets.
If stuck I have boxes of them all in date.
Ezetrol [Ezetemibe] 10mg atype of colesterol reducer that is probably available otc.
Most stuff I can get at my farmacia otc but as has been stated another will not supply & the rules are different in every region.
If In a Pickle finds out it would be ideal.
So - Gimme what I need to stay alive till I get back off holiday!
unfortunately the rules are quite clear 90 days supply & if you are still out the country you should then be legally signed off the register of nhs patients. Nor do you have any right to the ehic/ghic after that time period.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Be my guest! I'd prefer to be heading towards the Autumn and Winter Sun ... It's quite frustrating because you have to phone the Jury Attendance Update Line 'several times throughout the week' to quote the Instructions, to establish whether you are needed ... So it's quite feasible that I shall be kicking my heels for 7-10 days before being told that I am not required this time around.

Steve
Why not just tell them "I am in spain for the next 90 days"

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Steve
I'm waiting to be called up for Spanish Jury ( Lynch mob service) I wonder who I'm going to send down, deport or line up for the Firing Squad.....now let me think...🤔🤭🤭🤭🇪🇦

OP
OP
D

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Why not just tell them "I am in spain for the next 90 days"
1. I've been excused Jury Duty in May because of a prebooked Rally
2. The trip to Spain has yet to be booked [and there are several publicly viewable posts over the last 72 hours to prove this]
3. I don't want to be given a seat in the Dock alongside the Defendant, even though that would remove the uncertainty about whether I shall be required to attend Court ... :LOL:

Steve

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
When we were going to Peru a few years ago we wanted Diamox for treating altitude sickness. Here in Spain we paid €2 per box whilst Gillian, a fellow trekker in our group coming from the UK, had to have a special prescription in the UK and pay £35 per box.

Some drugs are much easier to buy here.

OP
OP
D

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Aspirin 75mg [which I know that I can buy over the counter!]

Forgot this.
I'd buy in UK & bring with you as all types of aspirin here are far dearer than the UK.
I think I paid about €1.40 for a box in 2020. Because it's so run of the mill, and the hospital had prescribed it for lunchtimes, the first time I escaped to a café after discharge from hospital, I forgot my aspirin! Doh. Quick scurry to the Pharmacy just before closing time!

Steve

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wasn't able to buy my meds in pharmacies in Italy even with a UK GP prescription. I would have had to go to an Italian Dr and get a prescription from them. Luckily I had more than enough - I asked when waiting to collect stuff for my sister-in-law just in case I might need a refill at a later time / different trip.

My GP is only supposed to supply 8 weeks maximum at a time. They are very helpful by supplying earlier prescriptions than usual (so would supply another 8 weeks only 4 weeks after previous supply). When I said I was thinking of a world cruise the GP said she was only allowed to do 8 weeks at a time but if I was clever and organised I could order a little earlier for repeat prescriptions over a few months so I had enough as they only check the refills for the previous issue. If I do need to order more than two weeks early I always add a note to explain why :) Not had a problem yet except for a phone call to say the repeat was being sent to the pharmacy that day.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We usually buy codeine/paracetamol 30/500mg in Spain. Great for emergencies back home and the codeine is much stronger than the UK tablets 👌

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Had similar problem with my surgery.Told them I was going medication or not.They did me two times two month prescriptions.BUSBY.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We usually buy codeine/paracetamol 30/500mg in Spain. Great for emergencies back home and the codeine is much stronger than the UK tablets 👌
That strength is prescription only I think. I've got some which I've been prescribed for a torn tendon in my shoulder after a fall. They're definitely stronger than what you can buy otc! Be careful though as they are considered addictive.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
That strength is prescription only I think. I've got some which I've been prescribed for a torn tendon in my shoulder after a fall. They're definitely stronger than what you can buy otc! Be careful though as they are considered addictive.
Yes I have them just for special painful occasions like tooth ache or watching Harry and Megan. I just buy 1 box a year 😎

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think most Spanish medication must be stronger.Took uk medication for over a week when in Spain with the severe trots..They didn't work.Got some Spanish ones,took two and didn't go to the loo for three days.MAGIC.BUSBY.😆😆

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Due to general shortages the NHS in England has been suspended the up to 3 month supply of meds. GP's have been told no more than 2 months worth at a time. That said I asked my GP for more and after a bit of negotiation it was forth coming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back