Has this ever happened to you? (6 Viewers)

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
So, yesterday we were making our way from Cleveden to a NT house near Bristol, it was a fine mid-morning, the roads are pretty narrow, not suitable for aggresive driving but we were not crawling, then one of the vehicles behind flashed us, eventually one sounded their horn.
Obviously we thought something was wrong so we pulled over despite it being a dodgy spot to stop.
Immediately the vehicles overtook at speed, there were four of them, the first two working vans.
There was nothing wrong with our MH, so it was just impatience on their part.
I always look for opportunities to allow others to pass so found this incident particularly galling.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
But you're on your hollybobs whilst they're trying to earn there living, agree about excessive speed but we do trundle about more in our camper when away.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
So, yesterday we were making our way from Cleveden to a NT house near Bristol, it was a fine mid-morning, the roads are pretty narrow, not suitable for aggresive driving but we were not crawling, then one of the vehicles behind flashed us, eventually one sounded their horn.
Obviously we thought something was wrong so we pulled over despite it being a dodgy spot to stop.
Immediately the vehicles overtook at speed, there were four of them, the first two working vans.
I always look for opportunities to allow others to pass so found this incident particularly galling.
At least they didn't mug you. A common mode of practice in Spain I hear.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
unfortunately a lot of people see MH's or caravans as holding up their important work journeys,
People in general do not seem to have any time for anything anymore
These last two years I've had to holiday in UK (covid) and been amazed by how bad and aggressive many drivers have become. This year I thought at least its just those b****y southerners, then I neared home and found exactly the same.I 😱

Reactions: POH

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Was the NT property Tyntesfield House? We loved visiting there.

We have lived in and around Bristol all our lives, and we agree - the standard of driving here is very aggressive. I would say in defence though - the city is a nightmare to drive through, gridlocked for much of the time, the ring road is abysmal, absolutely not fit for purpose, and with no hope of any improvement, I can absolutely understand their frustrations.

Hope it didn’t spoil your visit though.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
What about the ones that overtake you, thinking it’s your van that’s going slow, not realising that it’s the tractor in front of you going slow, then you have to brake to allow them back in to prevent any collisions with oncoming traffic. They really p..s me off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I’d be surprised if it ever happened to us but if it did I’d happily slow to 15mph and keep them waiting.
I find that a most affective tactic when in France and some lorry drivers try to push you along faster than you should be going for the road. It really pisses them off if you then accelerate hard away from junctions then after a while when they catch up and again come to close to the rear just slow down again, you can almost hear the steam coming out of their ears.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
It seems theirs a lot of pent up anger out their I consider myself having had a good journey if I collect just one blast of someone's horn ! I'm afraid it's dog eat dog no one wants to cut you any slack it's par for the course it's sad to say 'c' est la vie '

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I think it also has something to do with other drivers not being able to see the road ahead. They don’t like that so make a fuss and end up driving dangerously.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
What about the ones that overtake you, thinking it’s your van that’s going slow, not realising that it’s the tractor in front of you going slow, then you have to brake to allow them back in to prevent any collisions with oncoming traffic. They really p..s me off
You let them in ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
....or they're waiting at a side junction, see you coming and pull out in front of you, assuming they are gonna be held up by you, but end up driving slower than you were going ? :mad:

..................... and then they turn off a hundred yards up the road. :doh:

Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
The general level of tolerance has plummeted in recent years.
In all walks of life and activity. Selfish is the name of the game .
Thsnk goodness some peopke still believe in doing a good deed and helping others out.
I refer to a majority of the threads on this site.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
At least they didn't mug you. A common mode of practice in Spain I hear.
After living here for 16 years I can assure there is much, much, more chance of you being mugged in the UK. We have had thousands of clients here over the years and noone has ever been the victim of a crime.

On the contrary, a couple lost their digital camera on a tapas trail a few years back. When they mentioned it the following day I went back to all the bars (as often kids leave their phones behind). No - nothing 'behind the till' or handed in. Sadly I had to report it was probably gone...

Two days later I had a cab driver whistle and call me over when I was walking to the bank. He'd found the camera on the floor of his cab and recognised me in one of the pictures on it. I offered him a tenner for his honesty and he wouldn't take it. I insisted "OK buy some flowers or a bottle of wine for wife then...". No - a blunt, and passionate refusal. Why? I asked. Back in Bristol the cabby would never have given it back, I explained, so why won't you accept a small reward for your honesty?

Because, he explained, he felt that he had failed in his duty to look after the tourists and make sure they got back to their hotel safely, and it would be wrong.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Weird you mention this today, We was travelling through from Burnley to Nelson and Prat in an Audi (why is it always an Audi) tried to overtake twice in a 30pmh zone and had to pull back in because of oncoming traffic, this is a straight road. He finally zoomed past me then 50 yards further on slammed his brakes on without indicating and then parked half on the pavement. I pipped him he gave me 2 fingers and then a police car parked up behind him, I was laughing my socks off

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Our 2011 fiat Ducato pvc has got some power in it despite only having the standard engine.
Pulls really well up hills left many a car struggling to over take, just because where a van don’t mean we go slow.
Quite funny when they come along side and realise they can’t keep up.

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Was the NT property Tyntesfield House? We loved visiting there.

We have lived in and around Bristol all our lives, and we agree - the standard of driving here is very aggressive. I would say in defence though - the city is a nightmare to drive through, gridlocked for much of the time, the ring road is abysmal, absolutely not fit for purpose, and with no hope of any improvement, I can absolutely understand their frustrations.

Hope it didn’t spoil your visit though.
It was indeed. We only wanted to visit the grounds which was just as well as the house was closed due to some drama being filmed. Lovely visit regardless.
Can't agree more about Bristol traffic, and we're mad enough to be trying to move there! But then when you live in Bath it's a step forward and saves an hour trying to reach the M5!

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
In those circumstances if there is no place to pull in I would keep up the maximum safe speed for my vehicle as all I could do to help.

Geoff
Yes, that's my policy too, I realise that many of the vehicles behind have a job to do and need to get going. I am always on the lookout for places to pull over so they can get past. Another trick is to go round a roundabout twice so the tail can zoom through thinking I'm lost rather than being helpful :unsure:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
It was indeed. We only wanted to visit the grounds which was just as well as the house was closed due to some drama being filmed. Lovely visit regardless.
Can't agree more about Bristol traffic, and we're mad enough to be trying to move there! But then when you live in Bath it's a step forward and saves an hour trying to reach the M5!
Were you moving to? (That’s Bristolian speak!) :rofl:

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Is this true? We're thinking of going to Spain very soon. Is it particuar areas or just random? How big a problem is it?
Just what I've read somewhere. I wouldn't let it put me off though I would be disinclined to stop for anyone. Like everywhere you just have to be aware.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It seems theirs a lot of pent up anger out their I consider myself having had a good journey if I collect just one blast of someone's horn ! I'm afraid it's dog eat dog no one wants to cut you any slack it's par for the course it's sad to say 'c' est la vie '
I cannot remember the last time someone honked at me, or indeed the last time I honked at another driver. I only ever use the horn before blind bends on narrow roads. On a different subject I've never performed an emergency stop in a motorhome. I have done so in a car many years ago.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Right from my first few hours on the road I was taught that if my driving caused a problem to other road users I should take whatever steps I could safely achieve to resolve it. Something I still contrive to do today.
Unfortunately impatience and a state of self importance has eroded this ability - I am still amazed how few incidents still occur.
I'm now old and wise enough to put my own safety first and although this may not go down well, well stuff you Jack. I'm aware you are there and will get out of your way when I decide its safe to do so. I refuse to react or be intimidated by your behaviour.
I still believe the vast majority of drivers have respect for others, shame its not universal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back