Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I guess weight is not a problem! You really will be spoiling yourself.
Have you got a lift planned for the pups to get to tbe sun deck?
Back in the 60's (you may have heard your Mum speak of those times). The posh "big houses often had a 'hatch' type cubby hole in a dining room wall where food or crockery could be transported between floors and thereby kept hot.
I.e. between the kitchen below stairs and tbe diing room on tbe floor above. Back then, I believe these things worked on a pulley system.
I am sure with tbe wonders of modern science, you could rig up something similar to transport Jade and Milo up and down to the sun deck.😁
It could also be used to carry ice and bottles of wine/beer.
Isn’t that what is called a “dumb waiter”?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Back in the 60's (you may have heard your Mum speak of those times). The posh "big houses often had a 'hatch' type cubby hole in a dining room wall where food or crockery could be transported between floors and thereby kept hot.
I.e. between the kitchen below stairs and tbe diing room on tbe floor above. Back then, I believe these things worked on a pulley system.
I am sure with tbe wonders of modern science, you could rig up something similar to transport Jade and Milo up and down to the sun deck.😁
The sun deck is for me to escape the hounds 😁

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The old song by The New Christy Minstrels comes to mind when you mention having it ready before winter. ;)
Oh it won't be ready before winter but if i can at least get the welding all done and some paint on those area's to protect it while im away for the winter then ill finish it when im back next spring.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Love that colour. (y)
Yes its very nice ...my original thoughts last year were audi nardo grey ....but it seems everyone is painting self builds grey these days ....then i spotted this one on Instagram ...its one of only a handful of varios in the states ( they were never sold there) and its been painted an american colour ( dodge ceramic blue ) so ive not seen another that colour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Nice colour much nicer than Audi grey.

Like others not so sure about the black roof! Seems more work for not much gain.

Cheers James

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Are you a welder to trade or have you just been learning as you go along? I’m looking forward to seeing the inside being built.

Your doing a fab job, you must be proud of yourself.
I worked as a welder back in the mid 90's till 2001 when my dad died ....hated that job with a passion but it was mostly heavier guage steel and all new metal done in a factory setting. Since then ive welded the odd patch here and there but mostly unseen stuff that didn't matter so much. I was a bit nervous of doing the bodywork on the van incase i messed it up but im quite pleased how its coming along. Im my own worse critic so i know it isnt perfect at the minute but the whole body will be gone over again before painting . Its nice seeing it coming together without all the rust. Ive got some nice plans for it and if it all comes together it will be quite unique

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Question, where are you planning to go this winter and have you got plans to get round the 90/180 rule
Like last year ive a rough plan but its subject to change depending on restrictions etc ...but hoping to go thr route i had originally planned last year to greece via Croatia Albania etc ....and hopefully do a bit of turkey too ...not so much getting around the 90/180 but utilising countries that it doesn't apply to

Its getting the timing right that will be the issue ...so i can get the best weather

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Like last year ive a rough plan but its subject to change depending on restrictions etc ...but hoping to go thr route i had originally planned last year to greece via Croatia Albania etc ....and hopefully do a bit of turkey too ...not so much getting around the 90/180 but utilising countries that it doesn't apply to

Its getting the timing right that will be the issue ...so i can get the best weather
Sounds like a fantastic trip! Enjoy!

Cheers James

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
20210802_110119.jpg
20210802_110138.jpg
20210802_113006.jpg
20210802_115809.jpg
20210802_123416.jpg
20210802_130250.jpg
20210802_141029.jpg
20210802_145035.jpg
20210802_152213.jpg
20210802_152217.jpg

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
You might have explained this already but reading through this thread recently , which is great, I love self build projects, it takes so much effort but very satisfying to make it yours, what is the reason you decide to do this instead of just using the Hymer you’ve got?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You might have explained this already but reading through this thread recently , which is great, I love self build projects, it takes so much effort but very satisfying to make it yours, what is the reason you decide to do this instead of just using the Hymer you’ve got?
Various reasons , i want to carry a motorbike, i want a more robust interior , i want it self sufficient more than the hymer etc

Lots of stuff i dont need in the hymer and lots of stuff i need that it doesnt have.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I agree with Tam a off the shelf MH dosen't work in certain situations.

I for one have to carry timber and the interior of a standard MH would get trashed in short order.

Any idea what tyres you will put on it Tam?

Cheers James

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I agree with Tam a off the shelf MH dosen't work in certain situations.

I for one have to carry timber and the interior of a standard MH would get trashed in short order.

Any idea what tyres you will put on it Tam?

Cheers James
Not sure yet they are quite an expensive size ...will wait and see

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Love that colour, and the sundeck will be awesome.
I am enjoying this thread, even the welding. Which is surprising as I have no idea what I am looking at!!

Does Toby have retracting step or alarm? My 654 has a button on the dash to put the step out, but I can only put it back in by pressing the button by the hab door. And no alarm. I have driven off with it put, more than once and it scares me.

Karen

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Yes its very nice ...my original thoughts last year were audi nardo grey ....but it seems everyone is painting self builds grey these days ....then i spotted this one on Instagram ...its one of only a handful of varios in the states ( they were never sold there) and its been painted an american colour ( dodge ceramic blue ) so ive not seen another that colour.
It’s very similar to a VW colour I have seen. (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Called dumb waiters..BUSBY.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am enjoying this thread, even the welding. Which is surprising as I have no idea what I am looking at!!

Does Toby have retracting step or alarm? My 654 has a button on the dash to put the step out, but I can only put it back in by pressing the button by the hab door. And no alarm. I have driven off with it put, more than once and it scares me.

Karen
That sounds like its wired wrong. I cant put my step out from the dash only in. But can put it in or out from the switch by the door. Ive removed the alarm from mine as it was faulty . But i always check in the mirror that its retracted before i move.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Love to have a go at doing something like this but haven't got the nerve. cant wait to see it finished, good luck.
Its quite enjoyable overall ....once you get used to just cutting bits out as thats a bit daunting to start with but i just cut a biy out at a time and finish off each section. Should hopefully have this side done by the weekend.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My 2001 B584 has a buzzer to warn the step is out. It has a push switch that press on step and the buzzer is near the EBL, it’s about 20x15x12 white block looking thing, like this.
CED5D708-A2B2-4F4C-A3A9-9A767B747291.png

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base

Karen
Yeah wrong way around.

The idea being that you forget to put step in, jump in driver seat & start up engine then the buzzer goes off alerting you to the fact it's still out so you can retract it in without jumping from the drivers seat again.

Lost count of how many times I've done it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back