Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Various reasons , i want to carry a motorbike, i want a more robust interior , i want it self sufficient more than the hymer etc

Lots of stuff i dont need in the hymer and lots of stuff i need that it doesnt have.
Great , I am looking forward to see it progress further, I have been thinking of buying a fridge based Hgv would be a good base to start, as you don’t have to worry about insulation, it will have plenty lol, but then depending on various factors, some lorry based stuff does 5 miles to the gallon, expensive travelling that is, btw if your bus is not 4x4, I would recommend to have chains available for each wheel, front axle and driven rear axle , makes a big difference in traction and steering safety, we used this when I collected raw milk for a dairy in Luxembourg and German Eiffel, in full winter conditions, lots of snow and icy roads with a 44 tonne vehicle .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yeah wrong way around.

The idea being that you forget to put step in, jump in driver seat & start up engine then the buzzer goes off alerting you to the fact it's still out so you can retract it in without jumping from the drivers seat again.

Lost count of how many times I've done it.
Or for the price of a relay and one more connection it'll retract when D+ goes live.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have a little bit of a dilemma ....well not so much a dilemma but a decision to make and not sure whats best.

Back in june i had a guy enquire about buying Toby but he didn't get his money till august as he's a retiring fireman .

I hadnt heard from him again but now he's back in touch and very keen ....but still not got the cash till end of august.

So im undecided as whether i should sell it and possibly forego my winter break , continue working on the merc over the winter etc

Or whether to keep a hold of it till next year when the market might not be as good.

If i sold it id be sticking to the full price of £27.5k thats why its tempting to sell.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have a little bit of a dilemma ....well not so much a dilemma but a decision to make and not sure whats best.

Back in june i had a guy enquire about buying Toby but he didn't get his money till august as he's a retiring fireman .

I hadnt heard from him again but now he's back in touch and very keen ....but still not got the cash till end of august.

So im undecided as whether i should sell it and possibly forego my winter break , continue working on the merc over the winter etc

Or whether to keep a hold of it till next year when the market might not be as good.

If i sold it id be sticking to the full price of £27.5k thats why its tempting to sell.
Depends mate, is there absolutely no way of being ready to travel in the Vario this winter?
Does the fireman need your old one this winter or will he be happy to wait until spring next year?
Do you need the money from the sale to continue your build?
Conundrums eh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Don't know much about pensions. Would the guy definitely be able to access a lump sum as soon as he is retired in August or could there be some legal wranglings drawing out the process?

It would be a long time for you to wait until you get away again if you sell Toby.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Like last year ive a rough plan but its subject to change depending on restrictions etc ...but hoping to go thr route i had originally planned last year to greece via Croatia Albania etc ....and hopefully do a bit of turkey too ...not so much getting around the 90/180 but utilising countries that it doesn't apply to

Its getting the timing right that will be the issue ...so i can get the best weather
Agree with you it’s getting the timing right We’re going to Croatia in September to get round the 90/180 as we’ve already used up 64 days

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Depends mate, is there absolutely no way of being ready to travel in the Vario this winter?
Does the fireman need your old one this winter or will he be happy to wait until spring next year?
Do you need the money from the sale to continue your build?
Conundrums eh?
The vario would never be complete that's for sure.

Dont think he would wait given hes been viewing vans since june and hasn't the money yet.

Don't need the money from the sale ,i have the funds to build the vario ...but would obviously be nice to get top dollar for the hymer.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don't know much about pensions. Would the guy definitely be able to access a lump sum as soon as he is retired in August or could there be some legal wranglings drawing out the process?

It would be a long time for you to wait until you get away again if you sell Toby.
Its his lump sum he's waiting on ...gets it August 31st

But yes it would mean I didn't get away till next winter probably ..
Would probably buy a cheap caravan to stay in till i finished the Vario.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
You never know what’s on your path for the future , so just enjoy your winter plans while you can, will be plenty of buyers for the hymer come spring, lots of people re evaluate their retirement and decide to go early, so the market will be strong for a while…

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How about a basic interior this autumn followed by the full monty next summer.

Something like a plywood kitchen pod, loo cubicle and double bed.

Going south will be warmer so insulation isn't too much of an issue?

Or you could get a cheap van like an lt35 or 208d and use that for the winter? Fuel saving would be decent too.

Cheers James

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

I retired six years ago on 8/4/15. My lump sum was in my bank that morning. So yeah he’ll have the money. The fire service have had thirty years of knowing exactly what day he retires😂😂😂.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The decision is, how much more will you get for Toby now than next spring?
Is that extra, if it is an extra, worth not having your winter holiday?
What value, cash wise, do you put on x number of weeks away?

It all comes down to how much you value your planned trip.
It would need to be a tidy sum to stop me going.

Richard.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
I'd keep Toby for the winter, you'll probably need to recharge your batteries over the winter after all this vehicle prep, and where better than Greece etc!

Lets face it, Scotland's weather won't help you with the build especially if you're still outside, prices won't alter much if at all for a year or so and as you don't need the cash to finish the Vario

No brainer for me, good luck whatever you decide (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You’ll have to be doing the inside over the winter and if your not ready to do it then you might as well be somewhere warmer then sitting in a caravan in Scotland for the winter…. Your lucky to have a choice on what you do….👍🏼

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The decision is, how much more will you get for Toby now than next spring?
Is that extra, if it is an extra, worth not having your winter holiday?
What value, cash wise, do you put on x number of weeks away?

It all comes down to how much you value your planned trip.
It would need to be a tidy sum to stop me going.

Richard.
I'd keep Toby for the winter, you'll probably need to recharge your batteries over the winter after all this vehicle prep, and where better than Greece etc!

Lets face it, Scotland's weather won't help you with the build especially if you're still outside, prices won't alter much if at all for a year or so and as you don't need the cash to finish the Vario

No brainer for me, good luck whatever you decide (y)
You’ll have to be doing the inside over the winter and if your not ready to do it then you might as well be somewhere warmer then sitting in a caravan in Scotland for the winter…. Your lucky to have a choice on what you do….👍🏼
Yes all valid points ...thats why i hadnt bothered to readvertise it etc ... having thought about it the last couple of hours im inclined to just use it for winter as planned as i know the van and its condition etc whereas i wouldn't be comfortable taking the vario on such a long trip without having used it a bit around Scotland first. Im confident Toby will fetch 25k all day long as hes in very good condition now and much better than it was when i bought it.

Getting an extra 2.5k would always be welcome of course but i am looking forward to getting away if i can

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think it will make much difference to the price you get for Toby if you keep him until next year. It's going to be the new vans sold at inflated prices that are going to take a big hit.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013

Personality I would sell if you have a cash buyer. Prices at the mo are high, they may go down next year if things reopen!
I am sure you could make Kouros fit to travel with the basics you need, and you can't beat cash in the bank...,

You are fair cracking on now, it's surprising what you can do in a couple of months with the Scottish weather pushing you along.... 😎

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I doubt your buyer would hang around when he has cash in his bank account .... Most people, including me, become a little impatient when they have the money in the bank to buy something they have been waiting to buy He is in a great position with cash in hand to swoop as soon as something within his range and required spec appears on the market.

Why not ask him and, if keeping yours saves you some money, offer it him at a lower price to reflect your saving, but at a later AGREED in writing date, with him paying a deposit? It might work?

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Tough decision. Although as you know Scottish winters can be harsh.
How long does it take for you to earn the 2.5k extra delivering food.
If not long keep the van as I’m sure a winter break away may be worth more to you.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Going off what you have said about not needing the funds to finnish the van my decision would then be based on what I thought the state of Europe/UK will be this winter, Covit will still be with us.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well you guys aren't much help ....half saying keep half saying sell.

At the moment he was discussing it with his wife and looking in to a hotel in Edinburgh to possibly view toby on Saturday. Not heard back from him again yet. Toby is currently very untidy as ive been parked the same place for months so i have stuff everywhere 🤣🤣 . Every waking hour is spent working on the vario or the deliveries at present. But if he gets back in touch and wants to view Saturday i might let him and then see what happens.

Ill let you know

Anyway its a scorcher up here today and no work tonight so im going to get on with my sills ... Got to sort out the mess the first welder did now as its terrible

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sell it! The first offer is always the best offer!

No one has a crystal ball, imagine how annoyed you'll be when we get a Winter lockdown, you can't use the Hymer to travel and end up in the Spring with two campers, and the market crashed as its been such a shit 2020 & 2021 and everyone flocks abroad for 2022 desperate for a holiday!

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Well you guys aren't much help ....half saying keep half saying sell.

At the moment he was discussing it with his wife and looking in to a hotel in Edinburgh to possibly view toby on Saturday. Not heard back from him again yet. Toby is currently very untidy as ive been parked the same place for months so i have stuff everywhere 🤣🤣 . Every waking hour is spent working on the vario or the deliveries at present. But if he gets back in touch and wants to view Saturday i might let him and then see what happens.

Ill let you know

Anyway its a scorcher up here today and no work tonight so im going to get on with my sills ... Got to sort out the mess the first welder did now as its terrible
Yes, we probably mirror your thoughts 😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back