National Trust Parking larger vehicles (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Brilliant work to rescue and revitalise this facility.

V v quick glance and I spotted: 16 Bosherton Lily PonFs (should be ponDs)

Thanks for your efforts

Gordon

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi ceejayt what a great resource. I will drop a couple more in the chat later once I have had a proper shufty.
That would be great.

The new map tech I am using makes it really easy to add and amend much more quickly than before, takes just a few seconds so please add as many good and bad ones as you can.

The criteria are - NT or English heritage or similar - easy access for an 8m+ vehicle and the ability to get a cup of tea!

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Added Charlecote Park to THE MAP after visiting whilst at the Stratford Show.

There are now 127 entries on the map to indicate whether it is easy or not to get your motorhome parked if you are larger than 8m.

Also started to add a new category of white markers indicating interesting places with good parking for large vehicles where you can also stay overnight - first entry, Stump Cross Caverns - Ā£5 to stay

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Added Charlecote Park to THE MAP after visiting whilst at the Stratford Show.

There are now 127 entries on the map to indicate whether it is easy or not to get your motorhome parked if you are larger than 8m.

Also started to add a new category of white markers indicating interesting places with good parking for large vehicles where you can also stay overnight - first entry, Stump Cross Caverns - Ā£5 to stay
Got talking to the owners whilst there, if all goes well they will put in waste dump and EHU, please try and visit and support this privately owned cave system,
Overnights also possible at The Kelpies and Falkirk Wheel, in Scotland, both charge a small fee.
Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, has 5 MH bays in Ram Meadow car park right in the town centre.

That's it for now. :giggle:
Joe

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Got talking to the owners whilst there, if all goes well they will put in waste dump and EHU, please try and visit and support this privately owned cave system,
Overnights also possible at The Kelpies and Falkirk Wheel, in Scotland, both charge a small fee.
Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, has 5 MH bays in Ram Meadow car park right in the town centre.

Joe
will add those plus Alnwick which has some dedicated motorhome bays

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Joe
joe and sue Are the ones in Bury st edmonds suitable for over 8m vans ?

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
High Force Hotel, near Barnard Castle, easy parking for 8mtr plus, also overnights allowed.
Waterfalls are good to visit, and plenty of good walks around.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Fantastic resource, thanks for doing this.

A possible White marker would be the Fleet Air Arm museum at RNAS Yeovilton.
We visited two weeks ago in our 8.5m motorhome, called ahead to check and the answer was, 'no problem and feel free to use a coach bay if you need to'.

Fleet Air Arm Museum
RNAS Yeovilton
Ilchester
BA22 8HT

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Have you thought of liaising with the Funster who runs the wild camping moonfruit resource? Perhaps you could get admin permissions and you update a 'new' section of the existing website? Nice to see stuff like that all in one place !!

AandA

Free Member
Sep 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
2020 Newbies
Is the link ok? It goes to this and I'm not inclined to go further !
1627538937157.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

We visited two weeks ago in our 8.5m motorhome, called ahead to check and the answer was, 'no problem and feel free to use a coach bay if you need to'.

Fleet Air Arm Museum
RNAS Yeovilton
Ilchester
BA22 8HT
Thanks. Will add it to the map

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Fleet Air Arm Museum
RNAS Yeovilton
Ilchester
BA22 8HT
Added to the map with a Green marker (i.e. good for large motorhome parking) - white pins are for the odd overnight spot - thanks for the info

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you thought of liaising with the Funster who runs the wild camping moonfruit resource? Perhaps you could get admin permissions and you update a 'new' section of the existing website? Nice to see stuff like that all in one place !!
I understand, would be good to see things in one place. The moon fruit site is an excellent resource, my main aim (which is also part selfish) is to list places where vehicles of 8.5m or more can go without worrying too much so quite specific. Not sure how it all might work.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Thanks for the info Cornish Boy regarding RNAS Yeovil. I am taking our son there in September as part of a weeks trip away together.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Thanks for the info Cornish Boy regarding RNAS Yeovil. I am taking our son there in September as part of a weeks trip away together.

It was fantastic, hadn't been there in 45 years. Everything including Concorde looked so much smaller than I remembered....

The staff were great and as an organisation they had really embraced the Covid secure environment with time slots manging people flows and plenty of hand sanitisers on tables all around the exhibition halls.

Not sure on the age of your son, but Long Hazel Campsite in Sparkford is a great stopover and only 10 minutes down the road from the Museum. They are however, Adults only, so may not be what you are looking for.
I will add, Long Hazel is also walking distance (a mile or so) or a short drive from the Haines motor museum.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Thanks for the camp site heads up ,we will keep it in mind . We had intended to try and do a pub stop the night before and then we have a site booked near Poole for the rest of our trip.

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
Exp
Since 2003
Visited National Trust Lyme Park near Disley, Cheshire, yesterday. They have a large section of car park coned off for large vehicles and coaches. I would imagine they can make the space larger according to demand. Easy access.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We visited Lacock NT yesterday, by car. Saw one coachbuilt MH and a minibus using the coach parking area (saw no coaches yesterday) but did not see a sign that specifically allows MH parking. Correct me if I am wrong. Maybe it's discretionary. Saw one PVC using the busy car park which is pay-and-display, charge Ā£4.50. The bays and width of the roadways in the car park are a bit tight unless you have a small-ish PVC.

There is a sign prohibiting overnight stays in the car park area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back