National Trust Parking larger vehicles (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
hi,
Kingston Lacey has dedicated long bays which you reverse into, so no risk of being blocked in.
Lacock has dedicated bays as well, and a great day out if interested in history of photography.
Joe

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The URL for the page had to change after the latest wordpress update - the correct URL is now...

http://www.annie-and-chris.com/ntmaps/

Apologies if any one was looking for the page and could not see it - not even sure why it stopped working.

Still open for any further suggestions for the map - especially in the nether regions - i.e. Scotland and Wales!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Very good resource chris I have used 4 or five NTS for overnighting having contacted their main office before hand who gave very much the same response as you had about parking ie that it was very much up to individual sites if they allowed it and would only be during their quieter periods a couple have refused but all have been very helpful and polite two actually pointed out how good it was to be asked instead off finding two or three motor-homes taking it for granted.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Very good resource chris I have used 4 or five NTS for overnighting having contacted their main office before hand who gave very much the same response as you had ....
Thanks

Hardwick Hall describes itself as they best services in the M1. They do a cracking soup and sandwich. ?

more overnighting would be great

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Although not a national trust property we visited bowes museum at Barnard castle, Teasdale County Durham. It’s also my avatar pic.
Easy to park in a 9 metre.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
have visited knightshayes and Dunster castle in Devon parking ok at both, Knightshayes has a couple of large spaces near entrance if you are unable to walk from main carpark

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
We visited Stourhead, Wiltshire, yesterday - which I know is already on your map. I can confirm that it still has good access and parking for long vehicles, especially in the overflow area, where there are no marked bays.

It has also been mentioned that there is a Caravan Club CL adjacent to the car park.

However, when we last visited, circa 2013, we asked - as NT members - if we could stay overnight in the overflow car park. Our details were entered in a diary and a donation of a fiver was requested - which we were happy with. No idea if it is still possible, and we didn't ask yesterday?

A great project you've embarked on by the way.
This is a great CL, time it right e.g. towards end of a week day on a cold day in winter and you’ll probably have Stourhead Estate to yourself. Breakfast available in the restaurant, toilets by the entrance and pub (Spread Eagle Inn) close by.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
The Lizard point car park has a narrow road to it and was tight for my Bessacar ok for a pvc but A class or something with a big overhang would have trouble, plenty of space once in there and ok coming out

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Lizard point car park has a narrow road to it and was tight for my Bessacar ok for a pvc but A class or something with a big overhang would have trouble, plenty of space once in there and ok coming out
Thanks. Will add to the map
I am going to have to disagree with this. There is a one way system in and out of the car park at the Lizard. The road in looks OK when you start using it, but after a sharp bend to the right it gets very narrow. The problem is that there are irregular dry stone walls and, certainly in the summer, they are covered in vegetation so you cannot see where the wall ends and the vegetation starts. The walls sloped away from the road so just because your mirrors went through did not mean that the lower bodywork would. And by then you are committed to keep going.

When we were there about 5 years ago we tried driving down to the car park in our C class Adria which was about 2.35m wide. It ended up having both of us hanging out of the window each side whilst I was trying to inch forward, And even then I was brushing the vegetation. At any moment I was expecting a crunching sound. It took us what seemed like forever to get through with a queue of traffic behind.

I agree there is plenty of room in the car park once you are there. In fact we managed to stay there all night we were so stressed. The parking attendant explained that he was leaving at 5pm and nobody would be around until 9 in the morning. And the toilets in the car park are kept open all night. Had a peaceful night except for a couple of hours in the evening when the sea mist rolled in which meant they were sounding the fog horn on the nearby lighthouse. And the road out was was wider so it did not cause us any problems the next morning.

So all in all I would not recommend this unless you are in a PVC or campervan. You could try using the exit road as an entrance, as the one way system was only advisory when we were there, but you will not be popular doing that if there are lots of people exiting the car park!

Finally just to make the point that these comments are about the large NT car park on the field above the Lizard. DO NOT try to drive down to the small car park further down and right on the point. Very narrow two way road and very little room to park or even turn around once you are down there. And long queues because lots of people try doing it and find it full.

Last edited:

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
I am going to have to disagree with this. There is a one way system in and out of the car park at the Lizard. The road in looks O when you start using it, but after a sharp bend to the right it gets very narrow. The problem is that there are irregular dry stone walls and, certainly in the summer, they are covered in vegetation so you cannot see where the wall ends and the vegetation starts. The walls sloped away from the road so just because your mirrors went through did not mean that the lower bodywork would. And by then you are committed to keep going.

When we were there about 5 years ago we tried driving down to the car park in our C class Adria which was about 2.35m wide. It ended up having both of us hanging out of the window each side whilst I was trying to inch forward, And even then I was brushing the vegetation. At any moment I was expecting a crunching sound. It took us what seemed like forever to get through with a queue of traffic behind.

I agree there is plenty of room in the car park once you are there. In fact we managed to stay there all night we were so stressed. The parking attendant explained that he was leaving at 5pm and nobody would be around until 9 in the morning. And the toilets in the car park are kept open all night. Had a peaceful night except for a couple of hours in the evening when the sea mist rolled in which meant they were sounding the fog horn on the nearby lighthouse. And the road out was was wider so it did not cause us any problems the next morning.

So all in all I would not recommend this unless you are in a PVC or campervan. You could try using the exit road as an entrance, as the one way system was only advisory when we were there, but you will not be popular doing that if there are lots of people exiting the car park!

Finally just to make the point that these comments are about the large NT car park on the field above the Lizard. DO NOT try to drive down to the small car park further down and right on the point. Very narrow two way road and very little room to park or even turn around once you are down there. And long queues because lots of people try doing it and find it full.

Not sure why my post is quoted here, but to avoid confusion there are absolutely no access problems at Stourhead.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Car Park for the NT's Sheffield Park (in Sussex) is easy to get to and large enough to get motorhomes in. The NT's site is only the gardens as the House is in private hands, but the Gardens, around three lakes, are fabulous. It is open all year except Christmas and Boxing Days and there are plenty of hard paved paths and we did not get muddy when we were there on Friday, even after many days of rain. They even hire out disability scooters, with some tandem ones, like you see in Benidorm.

Got a good tearoom that do nice lunches.

But one note of caution, it gets very busy, especially if it is a really nice day after a spell of bad weather. We could park up OK in the motorhome on Friday, but I think it could be too packed if it was the weekend. And they do get very busy in the spring when the Rhododendrons (which they are famous for) are in bloom.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure why my post is quoted here, but to avoid confusion there are absolutely no access problems at Stourhead.
Sorry, entirely my fault ...... :doh: :doh: . It should have been the post after yours. I will try to edit it now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi

Regrettably, I lost interest in the blog And didn’t renew the domain. I could resurrect the map but need somewhere to put and maintain it.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not sure if I have missed it on the post but we had problems at Audely End. We were directed to a different gate but it was locked. Contacting NT I got no reply.
Any one had the same problem or if not were did you park.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure if I have missed it on the post but we had problems at Audely End. We were directed to a different gate but it was locked. Contacting NT I got no reply.
Any one had the same problem or if not were did you park.
Could be because Audley End, Is English Heritage, they have an overflow car park further up the hill from the Bridge,

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hi

Regrettably, I lost interest in the blog And didn’t renew the domain. I could resurrect the map but need somewhere to put and maintain it.

That's a shame, with lockdown exit looming it would be more useful than ever. Is there any way Jim could host this?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Being members of both it’s not surprising I get confused. You are right it’s English Heritage so I will re think this.
It was a bad day when we visited because the car park up the hill was being used for an event at the railway and I found a tree stump in the grass at the back of the town car park cracking the edge of the rear bumper.
When we are out and about again I will make a note of any NT car parks we can use that are not listed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back