Sorry for this but.....The whole TV thing is confusing the hell out of me? :-( (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I am trying to get to grips with sorting a tv for the new motorhome, basically I see the Avtex ones and the Cello ones (quite a difference in price) but then I see talk of chromecast and firestick too?

Is there an idiots guide anywhere as I can't see one?

EDIT to add: Not interested in fitting a satellite dish, already has a digital aerial.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
That'll do me! Ordering now, good thing about amazon is it's easy to send back if it's not right I suppose :)

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Cello ZRTMF0222 12 volt 22" Traveller Caravan TV Freeview HD DVD Amazon product ASIN B08BLK6R3C

This one has 12 volt lead It’s the one I have in my van 🚐
It's 35watts! 😳 Might be less in reality. Our mains one uses 18w including inverter losses. It's also £20 cheaper, smart and Bluetooth.

These 12v TV's are theoretically more efficient, but the small companies that make them are well behind the multi billion pound companies that make TVs for the mass market 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Im back, I thought I had it sussed, I don't! So, looking at the cello's and Im seeing reports that even though they are meant to work on 12v they dont always seem to be shipped with a 12v adapter? anyone bought one recently at all, can't find any pics or info on the web to see what comes in the box?
You're looking at their specific Traveller range?

<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
We've got the Aldi one too. It's fine for us we don't watch TV all that often in the MH for occasional use it's ok. Sounds not great but never got around to using an external speaker. One thing I would definitely recommend is a clip on TV mount like this Amazon product ASIN B005NY5MUG
I certainly watched TV tonight..... what a night!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Well it's arrived and I've just been testing it but went to test it for 12v in the car and the "cigar" wont engage! I've had the micrometer out etc to make sure its not something stupid but it needed a lot of force to get in as the earth springs on the side are TIGHT but eventually got it working and powers up, however tried a second time to ensure I've got the knack and now the positive male part is loose and not springing back.
So I've emailed cello to tell them Im not impressed with the crap 12v chinese looking thing theyve sent and why dont they send one like the advertise on their own site in the first place!

Attachments

• IMG_5238.jpeg
    IMG_5238.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
People often believe because they pay more for a "premium" brand, it must be better.
Sadly not, these days,
Im not even sure I'd have called Cello a premium brand to be honest, that would appear to belong to the Avtex in my eyes, but certainly I'd have expected Cello to be mid range at least. I'm gonna wait and see what their reply is from the email I've sent them but if they suggest sending the whole thing back just to get another exactly the same they can stuff it. If Im forced to cough up for a proper 12v lead like they already sell on their website I'll be similarly p***ed off. I've already started a review / unboxing vid for my youtube so they'll certainly NOT be getting a recommendation that's for sure.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That's what confused me! LOL
Avtex...
People pay premium prices for their kit... so convince themselves its premium... otherwise they've wasted their money, so a virtuous circle, paid a lot so it must be good.
Is Avtex better than Cello? Probably.
Is Avtex worth the money... ?
Probably not.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We looked at most of them and on comparing the £350 Falcon S4 and the £250 Sniper discovered that they are the same tv with a different badge on.
Everything for motorhomes and caravans is a rip off and sadly camping is rapidly heading in the same direction.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We are still smiling, anywhere between £30K and 250k for a motorhome and people are quibbling about the price of the Avtex tv.
We bought the Avtex 21" with the sound bar, excellent picture and fab sound, we can bluetooth our phone to the sound bar which is excellent for listening to Spotify.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
We are still smiling, anywhere between £30K and 250k for a motorhome and people are quibbling about the price of the Avtex tv.
We bought the Avtex 21" with the sound bar, excellent picture and fab sound, we can bluetooth our phone to the sound bar which is excellent for listening to Spotify.

I think you have mixed up "quibbling about the price" with "value for money" :unsure:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I think you have mixed up "quibbling about the price" with "value for money" :unsure:
Not at all, from reading the posts in this thread it becomes apparent that sound and picture quality in the cheaper tv's is not as good as the more expensive Avtex.
Surely your own post No. 68 makes the point.
"So I've emailed cello to tell them Im not impressed with the crap 12v chinese looking thing theyve sent and why dont they send one like the advertise on their own site in the first place!":unsure:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Im back, I thought I had it sussed, I don't! So, looking at the cello's and Im seeing reports that even though they are meant to work on 12v they dont always seem to be shipped with a 12v adapter? anyone bought one recently at all, can't find any pics or info on the web to see what comes in the box?
As long as you buy the Traveller version they will be OK on 12v the 19" doesn't have a seperate supply but thec22" does.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well it's arrived and I've just been testing it but went to test it for 12v in the car and the "cigar" wont engage! I've had the micrometer out etc to make sure its not something stupid but it needed a lot of force to get in as the earth springs on the side are TIGHT but eventually got it working and powers up, however tried a second time to ensure I've got the knack and now the positive male part is loose and not springing back.
So I've emailed cello to tell them Im not impressed with the crap 12v chinese looking thing theyve sent and why dont they send one like the advertise on their own site in the first place!
I've had a couple of Cello TVvs although I wire them direct the plugs appear to be fine.

It's more lightly to be the socket, if you look up the spec on the sockets for cars you will see they have a wide tolerance on diameter.

A Classic example is the Fiat X250 socket on top tolerance and most plugs flop about and make poor contact apart from their tyre pump which is a tight fit. The Fiat X290 socket is smaller and works fine but you can't plug a X250 tyre pump into it as the plug is too big.

Upvote 0

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
The amazon reviews definitely disagree with that regarding sound quality. This is the latest 24" Avtex TV reviews..

Amazon product ASIN B0856VCRXJ
I suppose it depends what peoples expectations are? I installed a 24" Avtex TV in my Motorhome 3 days ago (replacing a 20" Cello as it happens) and right now I find the sound perfectly acceptable.
Is it fantastic concert hall quality? Not really and maybe I will get a Soundbar for it if I decide I fancy better, but it is certainly not a 'requirement' like some of those reviewers seem to state.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Not at all, from reading the posts in this thread it becomes apparent that sound and picture quality in the cheaper tv's is not as good as the more expensive Avtex.
Surely your own post No. 68 makes the point.
"So I've emailed cello to tell them Im not impressed with the crap 12v chinese looking thing theyve sent and why dont they send one like the advertise on their own site in the first place!":unsure:

The amazon reviews definitely disagree with that regarding sound quality. This is the latest 24" Avtex TV reviews..

Precisely why I didn't go Avtex (y) Figured if Im gonna get one that needs an extra speaker I should save a few quid, hence value for money :)

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Figured if Im gonna get one that needs an extra speaker I should save a few quid, hence value for money :)
Maybe look at one of these? We have 4 of them. Crystal clear sound excellent bass, oh and they're very loud!

Ps... buy from China, Europe won't deliver to the U.K.

PPS... all of the 12v leads in all brands may have varying colours but they're all the same.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp

We couldn't careless what the reviews on amazon say, our Avtex with the soundbar is fantastic, crisp and clear at any volume, if the cheaper cello is someones preference then good luck to them, we listened to lot's of options and chose the Avtex, no regrets at all.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
My Avtex has just broken, it takes about 15 minutes to turn on so while I sort out getting it fixed I bought a Sniper TV and to my surprise the menu structure is identical almost to the point where I would say one is a badged version of the other!
There is one small differnce though the Sniper also has bluetooth and I think a wider viewing angle.
Not sure if I'll bother getting the Avtex fixed really. The Sniper is lower current too

Upvote 0

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Cello is cheaper than Avtex but I found the viewing angle poor on the cello so bought an Avtex, much better.
I agree, we had a Cello and if you are viewing directly in front it's OK but any sort of an angle and it ghost's and darkens

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We couldn't careless what the reviews on amazon say, our Avtex with the soundbar is fantastic, crisp and clear at any volume, if the cheaper cello is someones preference then good luck to them, we listened to lot's of options and chose the Avtex, no regrets at all.
You're happy which is what it's all about.

We didn't want to shell out £400 for a TV which will really only be used sparingly plus due to bracket location the extra power socket needed for the soundbar meant it was never an option - we only have a 12v socket and coaxial so a bluetooth tv was a must.

Avtex have become the market leader in caravans and motorhomes, fair enough, many owners have had previous models and opt for them again as they know how they perform but... they are expensive for what they offer any way you look at it in an audio visual world which has moved on rapidly from a lot of the technology offered in their products.

Most HGV drivers opt for Vision Plus or Sniper, panels which are equally as good but are substantially cheaper as trucker market forces aren't as driven as those for motorhomes or caravans.

Avtex are becoming more expensive due to their captive audience whilst home entertainment which has greater competition is becoming cheaper and better.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I agree, we had a Cello and if you are viewing directly in front it's OK but any sort of an angle and it ghost's and darkens
The Cello Traveller has good viewing angle the standard Cello the viewing angle is poor a lot of people buy the standard one because it is a lot cheaper but it's nowhere near as good as the Traveller.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Maybe look at one of these? We have 4 of them. Crystal clear sound excellent bass, oh and they're very loud!

Ps... buy from China, Europe won't deliver to the U.K.

PPS... all of the 12v leads in all brands may have varying colours but they're all the same.

Already bought one from Anker :)
I bought one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B094YGGN1T

Freeview Tuner is fine, Freesat not so much, so bought one of RoadPro's tuners to go with it. Very good picture, runs off 12v and only £155.

I don't have a Sat dish anyway so will make do with the freeview / netflix methinks.

Not on the traveller, that's why I was testing it when it arrived or it would have gone straight back.
The Cello Traveller has good viewing angle the standard Cello the viewing angle is poor a lot of people buy the standard one because it is a lot cheaper but it's nowhere near as good as the Traveller.
(y)

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
My Avtex has just broken, it takes about 15 minutes to turn on so while I sort out getting it fixed I bought a Sniper TV and to my surprise the menu structure is identical almost to the point where I would say one is a badged version of the other!
There is one small differnce though the Sniper also has bluetooth and I think a wider viewing angle.
Not sure if I'll bother getting the Avtex fixed really. The Sniper is lower current too
We've a Sniper too....works well....satellite tuner is brilliant hooked up to a dish...in fact everything works spot on....and like you found the same when seeing an Avtex demo'd ....

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We've a Sniper too....works well....satellite tuner is brilliant hooked up to a dish...in fact everything works spot on....and like you found the same when seeing an Avtex demo'd ....
Yep, Sniper here too. Unable to fit the firestick until I dug out a small HDMI extension cable but now raring to go. Quality piece of kit. We sit a small 20w soundbar in the middle of the shelf above the cab. Excellent picture. All in all a very positive experience when used in anger for the first time for the Monaco GP.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back