Tam and Toby ~~ Hunting Zorba .....Take two. (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The French wouldn't know when you entered France from Italy so I think you would get away with 2 or 3 days.
What are the restrictions on transiting Switzerland as that would be the shortest route back. Basel to Calais is approx 450 miles doable in a car in a day but a motorhome with dogs at least 2 days. Also needing to get your test & dogs sorted you really need 3 days minimum.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't know how this makes any difference, but have you looked at sailing from Bilbao , would this get you back to UK quicker, and not so far through France.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Are you sure the french restrictions are in play. Seem harsh only 24hrs.
Looking on france covid thats what it says ...and a couple of people i follow on Instagram one german one dutch got fined in france transiting from spain
Have you given up on the idea of Germany for the dog's passport?
At the minute yes ...on the pet passport thread they seem to think the Spanish ones i have will be fine ..
And more borders incurs more rules etc to get around ...most are transit 24-36 hours
The French wouldn't know when you entered France from Italy so I think you would get away with 2 or 3 days.
What are the restrictions on transiting Switzerland as that would be the shortest route back. Basel to Calais is approx 450 miles doable in a car in a day but a motorhome with dogs at least 2 days. Also needing to get your test & dogs sorted you really need 3 days minimum.
They will if the ask which means lying or getting fined ...lies mean ive to give details where ive been etc and the risk of being caught out.

German guy got fined for taking 3 days from spain to germany

I just figured the fastest route with less borders would be best ....but im no good with plans i prefer the go with the flow plan which i cant do in this situation
I'd forgotten he was looking at that if not too much problem getting through Austria/Switzerland could be the best option. German board to Calais is only 4 hours.
No idea what the covid restrictions are for Switzerland and Austria at the minute either and just planning italy france is stressful enough

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't know how this makes any difference, but have you looked at sailing from Bilbao , would this get you back to UK quicker, and not so far through France.
Not even considering any other ferries one is bad enough

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Im thinking that if i have a vet booked and a pcr test booked in France aswell as my tunnel crossing that should hopefully keep any french gendarmes happy but ive no idea of vets or covid testing places on route

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
I have used this vet I France a couple of times. It’s opposite an intermarche supermarket so easy to park.
7BCC652E-CF4C-4657-97B1-55A55A8183B0.png

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Im thinking that if i have a vet booked and a pcr test booked in France aswell as my tunnel crossing that should hopefully keep any french gendarmes happy but ive no idea of vets or covid testing places on route
Hi Tam,
I think the vet I use will take you too far off your route (I always use the ferry Dieppe/Newhaven). In case it is any good, here it is :- Clinique Veterinaire des Coquelicots, 13, Rue des Coquelicots, 27320 Madelne, Nonancourt.
Tel 0232530460

I haven't been back there for a couple of years but it was situated outside town on a new industrial estate (which back then was largely unoccupied) therefore plenty of parking and a very short distance from a fuel station.
There is also an aire in Nonancourt which is in easy walking distance of the shops.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Yes i found that before and at the moment it states a test isn't necessary to enter italy from greece and i then have 36 hours to transit italy
Although it does state somewhere that this rule is up for review on 5th march so ill have to keep an eye on that.

My problem is planning the rest of the journey as at present you're only allowed to transit france in 24 hours ....but i need a negative pcr test done in france as according to gov website only Spanish french or english is accepted so one in greece or italy won't do ....and the timing for greece is impossible anyway as im on ferry for 24 hours
I also need the dogs wormed somewhere and greece would again be tight on timing with no room for delays and not sure on italy ..

So i can probably get from Greece to italy no probs but i need a neg test to enter France unless im in and out in 24 hours ....but i need a vet and a pcr test with results in those 24 hours which to me seems almost impossible.

Im stressed to the max trying to work it all out

I also have to submit a plf before entering uk , order 2 tests before entering uk etc all within a certain timescale while driving 3500km in 2 days
Thats before i factor in eating sleeping letting dogs get a pee etc

Obviously when they worked these things out no one got together to think of folk crossing more than one country with dogs.

And to think if they had only extended the transition period till covid was dealt with all of this would be easy.

I dont think i can physically do what is legally required to be honest
Well something has to give and surely the easiest thing to do is ignore the 24 hours in France. Get the dogs wormed and your test in France before you travel to uk. The chances of being caught are slim, if you are then explain your dilemma and worse case scenario it's a bit of extra money in a fine.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We use this vets - you can book online, & there is a free Aire at Mesniers En Bray (about 3 miles away).

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I may be missing something but I really don’t get this need to career across Italy and France. Surely if you get a negative test (PCR or antigen) to enter Italy you can then proceed at a sensible pace across Italy. Then get a PCR test in Italy to enter France and proceed at a sensible pace across France. Am I missing something obvious tho’? :unsure:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
As Jenben said we have indeed just crossed from Spain into France. We were stopped and our PCR papers were checked on the French side of the Somport Tunnel. They wanted to know.where we were travelling from and how.long we had been in Spain. To make life a little easier we have made signs and stuck in hab windows to say we are in transit to the Eurotunnel and UK.

Getting the test in Spain was unnecessarily stressful and I would not recomend using a company called quironprevencion. Their advertised 24 hrs result turned into 48 hrs. Even then my results could not be viewed. Luckily we had not moved from the town where the test was done, so two visits back to the test centre finally got the right paperwork for all 4 of us. Our choice of test centre was made on it's proximity to the Somport. All were negative and we were finally on the way.

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I may be missing something but I really don’t get this need to career across Italy and France. Surely if you get a negative test (PCR or antigen) to enter Italy you can then proceed at a sensible pace across Italy. Then get a PCR test in Italy to enter France and proceed at a sensible pace across France. Am I missing something obvious tho’? :unsure:
We are certainly not rushing. Although we are doing long drives but have broken the journey down into 4 days. We will get our next test done in Northern France and as soon as we get the results (I understand that we can use the quick antigen test for return to the UK, we then get the dogs done and cross on the tunnel the day after.

Northernraider If I can help in anyway just give us a shout. Although we are travelling down the wrong side of France to share locations.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What's happening with Jackie while all this is going on?, Is she still with you? Is she planning on coming back with you?

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Yes i found that before and at the moment it states a test isn't necessary to enter italy from greece and i then have 36 hours to transit italy
Although it does state somewhere that this rule is up for review on 5th march so ill have to keep an eye on that.

My problem is planning the rest of the journey as at present you're only allowed to transit france in 24 hours ....but i need a negative pcr test done in france as according to gov website only Spanish french or english is accepted so one in greece or italy won't do ....and the timing for greece is impossible anyway as im on ferry for 24 hours
I also need the dogs wormed somewhere and greece would again be tight on timing with no room for delays and not sure on italy ..

So i can probably get from Greece to italy no probs but i need a neg test to enter France unless im in and out in 24 hours ....but i need a vet and a pcr test with results in those 24 hours which to me seems almost impossible.

Im stressed to the max trying to work it all out

I also have to submit a plf before entering uk , order 2 tests before entering uk etc all within a certain timescale while driving 3500km in 2 days
Thats before i factor in eating sleeping letting dogs get a pee etc

Obviously when they worked these things out no one got together to think of folk crossing more than one country with dogs.

And to think if they had only extended the transition period till covid was dealt with all of this would be easy.

I dont think i can physically do what is legally required to be honest

To be fair, you did travel out against Government advice

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
To be fair, you did travel out against Government advice
I didn't but at least you got to say it ,😉 i left uk when it was still ok to do so ...i entered greece while greece was still saying come to greece its safe here
And ive enjoyed being in the safest place in europe in a warmer climate than the uk
If it wasnt for brexit and the stupid insistence of not extending the transition period i could happily stay here ...i could if i really wanted go to bulgaria or turkey and wait it out but otherwise i need to leave shengen by 31st march and thats when my covid covering travel insurance expires.

I'm attempting to now comply with various government advice and return home by the quickest route .... something they haven't made easy.

So really those comments arent really helpful.

I broke no rules or went against any advice when i came here and to come home any earlier would have been unwise.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Italy and france have lots of localised lockdowns where travel outside each area is banned .... unless transiting

So yes i could get a test done to enter italy but id have to stay in that one area ....you cant just travel when the locals arent allowed to ....ive got away with that in greece as the police basically told us to keep moving ...but italy and france are not the same. Not even sure what places ill be able to stay overnight in Italy and france so i just want to head straight back

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Do you have any ideas about which route you will be taking, so we can have a think about vets?
No idea of route at present but i innitially thought just head for monte blanc its not a route ive done before so i planned on just setting satnav for calais when i leave Ancona and driving

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What's happening with Jackie while all this is going on?, Is she still with you? Is she planning on coming back with you?
Shes prettu much just following me ...only she doesn't have dogs to factor in
Shes blanking it out by getting pissed every night lol

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
So yes i could get a test done to enter italy but id have to stay in that one area ....you cant just travel when the locals arent allowed to ....
This is not true. You can travel across the Italian regions if you are returning home. There is no requirement to do it at breakneck speed. :Smile:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We are certainly not rushing. Although we are doing long drives but have broken the journey down into 4 days. We will get our next test done in Northern France and as soon as we get the results (I understand that we can use the quick antigen test for return to the UK, we then get the dogs done and cross on the tunnel the day after.

Northernraider If I can help in anyway just give us a shout. Although we are travelling down the wrong side of France to share locations.
Thanks ... hopefully you dont get any problems with police stops

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This is not true. You can travel across the Italian regions if you are returning home. There is no requirement to do it at breakneck speed. :Smile:
Yes you can ...in 36 hours only this is on the italian covid webpage
Screenshot_20210224-190545_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Above is a link to entering italy restrictions. If you put in entering from greece for a non eu national you get what rules youve to follow
Tourism is not allowed
Urgent business is allowed or for transiting purposes
Otherwise youve to self isolate on arrival and the same thing entering france from italy ....nearly every country states a 10 -14 day self isolation in one place unless transiting and then there are time limits involved ....and fines for non compliance.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Yes you can ...in 36 hours only
That 36 hours relates to those that have not produced evidence of a negative Covid test.

Above is a link to entering italy restrictions. If you put in entering from greece for a non eu national you get what rules youve to follow
Tourism is not allowed
Urgent business is allowed or for transiting purposes
Otherwise youve to self isolate on arrival and the same thing entering france from italy ....nearly every country states a 10 -14 day self isolation in one place unless transiting and then there are time limits involved ....and fines for non compliance.
Ok, I’ve waded through all that link ..... and I still think you are wrong. Good luck with your race across Italy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No idea of route at present but i innitially thought just head for monte blanc its not a route ive done before so i planned on just setting satnav for calais when i leave Ancona and driving
Do you realise the toll for the Mont Blanc Tunnel is €62.30. :eek:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That 36 hours relates to those that have not produced evidence of a negative Covid test.

Ok, I’ve waded through all that link ..... and I still think you are wrong. Good luck with your race across Italy.
Yes and as i dont have a negative pcr test for entering italy and no plan to stay in Italy i need to transit through italy.
If i enter italy with a negative test im still not allowed to move from one region to another unless im transiting 🤷🏻‍♂️ i cant be doing both .
A test done in greece wont still be valid for entering the uk but it may be valid for entering france IF i can find a place to do the test and give me the results same day as including the time ive to be at ferry checkin before crossing im on the ferry for 26 hours ....then there may be delays when disembarking and then a drive to france

Alternatively i dont get a test in greece , get one in italy to cover me for france ...BUT im still then only allowed to travel between regions if transitting ....tourism is banned and everyehere is closed including many aires.

When you look up excemptions etc to local lockdowns and travel bans the only option is transiting which has time limits.

Its hard to understand thats why im having trouble ....but that is what they state ....you can't just amble through the country in your own time the same way if you tried to drive a motorhome through the uk on a 4 or 5 day trip at present you will likely be stopped and asked where youve been where you're going and when you entered etc

As i said earlier people have posted details of their travel and fines etc on instagram where french police have insisted more than 24 hours was not allowed .

Theres also curfews 1800 -0600 🤷🏻‍♂️

Im only stating the information im finding in the absolute minefield of trying to get home

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back