Vets in EU - research project list (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Out of interest (and out of my claimed regions) I emailed three vets in Menton, tucked away in the far southeastern corner of France right up against the Italian border.

I received a reply from one of them, Dr Linda Marans:

1. She can copy across current rabies vaccination details into a new passport. However, she asked for a photo of my dog’s existing PP rabies page to ascertain whether she would be able to in this case. On seeing that my dog’s current vaccine is Nobivac (expires June 2023) her reply was that ‘In France, the Nobivac rabies vaccine needs a booster every year ; so you need to do it before June 2021’. In other words, my dog would need a rabies booster in order to be issued with a PP. If the current vaccine was Rabisin or Versiguard (the two vaccines authorised for 3 years in France) she would have been able to copy over the current vaccination details, maintaining the 3-year validity.

2. She uses a 3-yearly rabies booster - in her case, Rabisin.

3. The cost would be €52 to issue a PP by copying over existing vaccine details; €64 if a rabies booster is required.

https://www.cabinetveterinairedegaravan.fr/

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Out of interest (and out of my claimed regions) I emailed three vets in Menton, tucked away in the far southeastern corner of France right up against the Italian border.

I received a reply from one of them, Dr Linda Marans:

1. She can copy across current rabies vaccination details into a new passport. However, she asked for a photo of my dog’s existing PP rabies page to ascertain whether she would be able to in this case. On seeing that my dog’s current vaccine is Nobivac (expires June 2023) her reply was that ‘In France, the Nobivac rabies vaccine needs a booster every year ; so you need to do it before June 2021’. In other words, my dog would need a rabies booster in order to be issued with a PP. If the current vaccine was Rabisin or Versiguard (the two vaccines authorised for 3 years in France) she would have been able to copy over the current vaccination details, maintaining the 3-year validity.

2. She uses a 3-yearly rabies booster - in her case, Rabisin.

3. The cost would be €52 to issue a PP by copying over existing vaccine details; €64 if a rabies booster is required.

https://www.cabinetveterinairedegaravan.fr/
That looks like a handy location for me to get mine wormed on the way home

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have you given your Pet Covid19 and has it been tested, it seem the first Corona Viruses were detected around 1937 in animals, certainly a few have been infected recently from reports worldwide, it may or may not transmit is the opposite direction there seems little clear evidence for that as yet.
My point is a great deal of people seem to want a pet passport however how long before they are also in need of a Covid 19 test, and what will the impact be on traveling owners.
This is a fluid situation and we need to be mindful or possibilities for us all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My point is a great deal of people seem to want a pet passport however how long before they are also in need of a Covid 19 test, and what will the impact be on traveling owners.
This is a fluid situation and we need to be mindful or possibilities for us all.
You are very welcome to do the research into that particular aspect. I have enough to do with trying to help people obtain EU Pet Passports.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Have you given your Pet Covid19 and has it been tested, it seem the first Corona Viruses were detected around 1937 in animals, certainly a few have been infected recently from reports worldwide, it may or may not transmit is the opposite direction there seems little clear evidence for that as yet.
My very simplistic view is that
If we worry about everything that can manifest itself then we may as well give up now.
Being aware is good.
however, my glass is half full and improving by every week that the CV19 vaccine is dished out.
Until this becomes a formal problem for dogs then it will be way at the bottom of my list.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Anytime really. But as I said previously I have no time to go through the whole thread . Just put the bit you need in French to be translated into English, or the bit in English to be translated in French and I'll do it , no problem.
Just came back from a 900 kms trip one way and back within a few hours, so never had time to go on FUN and answer this

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I hesitate to respond - but - there has been an abundance of Covid 19 in the world this past 12 months. It has been detected in cats and dogs. It has been found in mink. There have been no recorded cases (that I'm aware of) of cat to human, dog to human or mink to human transmission. Although a lot of mink have been killed because they ( or their cohort) had it, there are no recorded fatalities in dogs or cats. Its not an issue. As levels of covid19 in the human population decline - as they will with vaccination - it will become even less of an issue.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I’ve had a reply from the vets La Mailleraye, it was in French so I used google translate. If there are any fluent french speakers I can put the original e mail up if you wish.

Hello,

Sir, madam
Regarding your request, it is possible to issue you a European passport, the cost of the passport is 7.30, during the issue we will report the identification of your animal and the data relating to the valid anti-rabies vaccination (according to the 'MA of the vaccine that was administered)
the validity of our rabies vaccines is 3 years
for information the price of the complete vaccination is 54 euros
rabies vaccination alone 40.20 euros
the price of dewormer is 10 euros per tablet up to 25 kg in weight
hoping to have answered your request
we remain at your disposal
Best regards
Valerie
Hi!

According to the French email you sent me via PM , I can now tell you that Google has done a good job. It sounds quite correct to me!(y):smiley:

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
This is Caspers passport. We have made 7 return crossings using it, and had no queries. No I actually and three years

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Should have read as Nobivac. I hate predictive text.
That’s interesting - thank you. (y)

So Nobivac can be used in France as a 3-yearly vaccine - and what the vet in Menton told me was wrong!

I think France is going to be one of those countries where the conditions for issuing a Pet Passport will vary from vet to vet.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000

So Nobivac can be used in France as a 3-yearly vaccine - and what the vet in Menton told me was wrong!

I think France is going to be one of those countries where the conditions for issuing a Pet Passport will va

I think France is going to be one of those countries where the conditions for issuing a Pet Passport will vary from vet to vet.
We have used the same vet in France for 20 years so we are good customers, maybe that makes the difference. As you say, it probably depends on individual vets. But, as I have stated before, Casper had to have a blood test and we had to wait a few weeks before the results arrived.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We have used the same vet in France for 20 years so we are good customers, maybe that makes the difference. As you say, it probably depends on individual vets. But, as I have stated before, Casper had to have a blood test and we had to wait a few weeks before the results arrived.
Ah, having trawled back through your previous posts I now recall that Casper had his rabies booster given by a UK vet, so the entry in his French PP was copied over from his UK one. So the Nobivac vaccine may only be valid for one year if given by a French vet, but the 3-year duration was honoured by your vet when it was copied over.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Ah, having trawled back through your previous posts I now recall that Casper had his rabies booster given by a UK vet, so the entry in his French PP was copied over from his UK one. So the Nobivac vaccine may only be valid for one year if given by a French vet, but the 3-year duration was honoured by your vet when it was copied over.
I'm sorry that I misled you, I'm getting old, I had forgotten that.
He was due his rabies booster a week before we set off for France, so 30 days later we took him to Aulnay for his blood test. we did this as our UK vet told us that she would not sign an animal health certificate as he had only had 3 weeks between his first rabies jab and his blood test. She said that the new regs would insist on a new titre test. I think things have changed again since then. We had just changed vets in Uk and I am not very happy with them. I took him for his yearly booster last week, they refused to let us take him in the building, then brought him back to us telling us that they couldn't examine him as he was too upset.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
He was due his rabies booster a week before we set off for France, so 30 days later we took him to Aulnay for his blood test. we did this as our UK vet told us that she would not sign an animal health certificate as he had only had 3 weeks between his first rabies jab and his blood test. She said that the new regs would insist on a new titre test. I think things have changed again since then. We had just changed vets in Uk and I am not very happy with them. I took him for his yearly booster last week, they refused to let us take him in the building, then brought him back to us telling us that they couldn't examine him as he was too upset.
I perfectly understand that; ours is due his annual booster in March and the vet will need to allow one of us with him or he will not be very cooperative , he is not nasty and does not nip or bite but he will be clambering at the door knowing we are nearby.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
No worries, this whole subject is degree level material. :Smile:

Maybe someone on here could recommend a good vet for Casper in your area?

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
No worries, this whole subject is degree level material. :Smile:

Maybe someone on here could recommend a good vet for Casper in your area?
Luckily he has never had anything seriously wrong with him, but know his back legs are failing and he has cataracts. We changed vets when our long term ones were taken over by a multi practice group and they stopped having an emergency service. We live near Selby and in an emergency we will have to travel over 30 miles for treatment. Sods Law, the vet we changed to stopped their out of hours service just as we changed, Casper is getting old and I worry about driving 30 odd miles with 35 Kg of hurt German Shepherd in the back of the car. It's a bit like our doctors who pass everything over to NHS 111 after 17.00.

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
I’ve eventually had a reply from the vet in St Mere Eglise. This is a strange one being as it’s the first vet that I’ve been in contact with that has said this.
So are the others wrong?

Hello,

I've got the answer. You can have a french passport if your dog is in the french pet chip file. If your dog is not in the french file, we can make a form to make him known by the french file. You need an adress in France to register your dog in the french chip file (and your dog as to stay in France more than 3 months).
Please, let me know if you've got an adress in France.

Best regards

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve eventually had a reply from the vet in St Mere Eglise. This is a strange one being as it’s the first vet that I’ve been in contact with that has said this.
So are the others wrong?

Hello,

I've got the answer. You can have a french passport if your dog is in the french pet chip file. If your dog is not in the french file, we can make a form to make him known by the french file. You need an adress in France to register your dog in the french chip file (and your dog as to stay in France more than 3 months).

Best regards

on the basis that all other vets contacted have said its ok, this is this vets personal requirements before getting involved IMHO.

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
on the basis that all other vets contacted have said its ok, this is this vets personal requirements before getting involved IMHO.
I agree so I won’t be using them for an EU passport. But they are very reasonable for the worming tablet prior to returning, especially if you’re returning via Cherbourg.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
So are the others wrong?

Hello,

Best regards
Thanks for that info. I suspect that France will be the most ‘varied and interesting’ country in which to obtain a Pet Passport. :laughing:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks to all the efforts and information here I have the makings of a plan.

Whenever we are next able to frequent the lands across the channel again.

Fun at its best 👍👍
And thank you for your help with this. We might only have been a small team that carried out the research ....... but between us we have covered a lot of useful ground. (y)

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Has anyone looked at getting the passport in Ireland? Thanks

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yes I did. Had a quote for 20 euros from the vet in Carndonagh Co Donegal. I'm hoping to get there and get it sorted.

Sonja
That’s really useful, thanks. We have recently got a puppy and not sure whether our first trip out the UK will be to the Continent or Ireland. Regardless I would like to get her an EU passport to prevent messing around every time we go away. I presume the 20€ is for issue of the passport and that the vet will copy across the details of her rabies jab? Many thanks, Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I may be going mad here, and would be glad if someone else could confirm it (maz?), but the way I see it, is that you have EU passports, which happen to have been originally issued in Spain, but which are valid throughout the EU, and in which vets of all countries throughout the EU can make valid entries.

A British vet carried out the boosters during the Transition Period, when British vets were recognised and authorised by the EU to complete EU passports. The British vet has put a sticker in your EU passports, indicating that the boosters are valid for 3 years. In order to maintain your Spanish-issued EU passports, an EU vet needs to administer the next boosters, by the date entered by the British vet in the passports.

If a Spanish vet administers those boosters, they will have had an expiry date of 12 months, because that is the condition applying to boosters administered in Spain. If a German vet administers them, they will have a 3-year expiry, because those are the conditions in Germany. As long as the boosters are carried out on time by an EU vet, then your passports will remain valid throughout the EU.

EU passports are valid throughout the EU, regardless of their country of issue. It is only British issued EU passports which are no longer valid, and it is only those which will now have to be replaced by passports issued within the EU27.

I hope that someone will come along and confirm whether this is right or not. :unsure:
Very good explanation there! 👍

We had just changed vets in Uk and I am not very happy with them. I took him for his yearly booster last week, they refused to let us take him in the building, then brought him back to us telling us that they couldn't examine him as he was too upset.
I perfectly understand that; ours is due his annual booster in March and the vet will need to allow one of us with him or he will not be very cooperative , he is not nasty and does not nip or bite but he will be clambering at the door knowing we are nearby.
You could ask if the vet will examine the dog in the rear of your car instead of taking him/her in, when we took Romy for the 'last journey' the vet suggested we didn't move her and stress her out so did it there for us, something that if we get to this point agaion in the future I'll as for again as it was much, much better for all concerned.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Very good explanation there! 👍

You could ask if the vet will examine the dog in the rear of your car instead of taking him/her in, when we took Romy for the 'last journey' the vet suggested we didn't move her and stress her out so did it there for us, something that if we get to this point agaion in the future I'll as for again as it was much, much better for all concerned.
Our last two Shepherds died in France, our Vet in Aulnay came out to the car each time. She sat in the car and talked to the dogs until they had gone. She then sent us a lovely letter of condolence. I'm going to email our present vet and ask what they would allow. I'd willingly pay if they would come to the house, when the time comes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our last two Shepherds died in France, our Vet in Aulnay came out to the car each time. She sat in the car and talked to the dogs until they had gone. She then sent us a lovely letter of condolence. I'm going to email our present vet and ask what they would allow. I'd willingly pay if they would come to the house, when the time comes.
We did ask about a home visit but they weren't doing it at the time due to CV however on reflection I'm glad we didn't as we 'look' at a certain places and remember her having a nice snooze, whereas if she'd been put to sleep there instead we remember it being a sad place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back