Vets in EU - research project list (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Heres a question but normally you can't travel for 21 days after the rabies vaccination so getting an eu passport on the way home might not be a good idea.

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
Heres a question but normally you can't travel for 21 days after the rabies vaccination so getting an eu passport on the way home might not be a good idea.
You can’t travel for 21 days after the very first rabies jab, but you’re pet will already have had the jab to leave the uk to enter the eu and you’ll have the AHC which you can use to return anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You can’t travel for 21 days after the very first rabies jab, but you’re pet will already have had the jab to leave the uk to enter the eu and you’ll have the AHC which you can use to return anyway.
Yes but if you are getting a new passport in Europe and they give a rabies jab you can then not travel for 21 days after that jab.

I got delayed in Europe for this reason last year and it wasnt their first rabies jab

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
They are giving a booster, and before the previous jab expires, so are allowed to travel. You allowed your dogs rabies jab to expire, so then had to wait till 21 days after that.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
You may be interested in a map I created last year for when Germany was a new touring place and we could all help each other out.

I created the map of google maps and then was able to share it with several other funsters. We had aires, bergs, beaches, weinguts, summer luges and vets.

If you want a link send me a pm with your email address (preferably a gmail address) to see what it is like and whether it is of any use to you.

You can obviously normally zoom in and out and behind each sign is the info such as sat nav details maybe a photo and costs etc. Phone numbers for vets and recommendations for your project. Vets were the grey pawprint and were all very highly recommended
View attachment 465209
Hello, How do I send a PM please? I can't find where to do it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They are giving a booster, and before the previous jab expires, so are allowed to travel. You allowed your dogs rabies jab to expire, so then had to wait till 21 days after that.
Yes but my point was to the ones having a brand new EU passport created where the vets have stated they can't transfer the rabies vaccination over and need to give one at the point of the passport.

I have Spanish passports for my dogs at present.... but they were given a 3 year rabies vaccination in the uk back in august ...problem is spanish passports are supposed to be every year and from what information has now been gathered apparently to keep an EU passport valid all entries have to be done in the EU.
So im concerned that their passports may no longer be valid.

So as im currently in greece and returning home next month i figured i would get new passports done in germany or france ....but if they can't swap previous vaccinations on to the new passport and therfore need to give a new rabies vaccination will i then have to wait 21 days after that to travel?

With all the other problems just now regarding covid and having to be out of the EU by 31st march i cant afford to be refused travel

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Yes but my point was to the ones having a brand new EU passport created where the vets have stated they can't transfer the rabies vaccination over and need to give one at the point of the passport.

I have Spanish passports for my dogs at present.... but they were given a 3 year rabies vaccination in the uk back in august ...problem is spanish passports are supposed to be every year and from what information has now been gathered apparently to keep an EU passport valid all entries have to be done in the EU.
So im concerned that their passports may no longer be valid.

So as im currently in greece and returning home next month i figured i would get new passports done in germany or france ....but if they can't swap previous vaccinations on to the new passport and therfore need to give a new rabies vaccination will i then have to wait 21 days after that to travel?

With all the other problems just now regarding covid and having to be out of the EU by 31st march i cant afford to be refused travel
1. Your existing Spanish PP is perfectly valid. The rabies booster in the UK was given when we were still in the EU and the vet was therefore an EU-authorised Official Vet.

2. If you get a new PP in Germany you will need your dogs to have another rabies booster. This will be valid straightaway as it is within the expiry date of your current vaccinations.

3. If you are still in any doubt, you can get a new PP in Germany but use your existing Spanish one to return to the UK.

4. Have you looked into getting a Greek PP while you’re still there?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
1. Your existing Spanish PP is perfectly valid. The rabies booster in the UK was given when we were still in the EU and the vet was therefore an EU-authorised Official Vet.

2. If you get a new PP in Germany you will need your dogs to have another rabies booster. This will be valid straightaway as it is within the expiry date of your current vaccinations.

3. If you are still in any doubt, you can get a new PP in Germany but use your existing Spanish one to return to the UK.

4. Have you looked into getting a Greek PP while you’re still there?
Thats an idea regarding using the current one for returning home 👍 but getting a new one done to cover the future.
Ive not looked in to a greek one as id planned to do the replacement passport and worming etc at the same time

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Replies from two vets in Belgium - Hainaut :

Christine Jaucot, Mons

1. Can copy across existing rabies vaccination details.
2. Uses 3-year rabies vaccine.
3. Cost of Pet Passport inc consultation is €45.

http://www.veterinairejaucot.be/index.html

Caroline Nélis, Jurbise nr Mons

1. Can copy across existing rabies vaccination details.
2. Uses 3-year rabies vaccine.
3. Cost of Pet Passport is €50. I believe this includes the consultation but have asked for clarification.

http://www.vet-nelis.be/indexUK.html

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Ive not looked in to a greek one as id planned to do the replacement passport and worming etc at the same time
I can see the attraction to getting the PP and worming at the same time. However, the worming part is easy and can be done almost anywhere on route (within the required timescale). The replacement PP is not necessarily so easy to achieve. It would be simple enough in normal times but, with Covid travel restrictions and testing plus a Schengen deadline to meet, not so easy at the moment.

If it was me, I would definitely be looking into the possibility of obtaining a Greek PP while you are there. You have the luxury of spare time at the moment, which will not be the case when you are on the return journey to the UK.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can see the attraction to getting the PP and worming at the same time. However, the worming part is easy and can be done almost anywhere on route (within the required timescale). The replacement PP is not necessarily so easy to achieve. It would be simple enough in normal times but, with Covid travel restrictions and testing plus a Schengen deadline to meet, not so easy at the moment.

If it was me, I would definitely be looking into the possibility of obtaining a Greek PP while you are there. You have the luxury of spare time at the moment, which will not be the case when you are on the return journey to the UK.
Yes i might look in to that and phone a few vets

Reactions: maz
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Northernraider , maybe I've missed something, but I thought that both your dogs already had EU (Spanish) Passports. If so, why do you want to get new ones in Germany? Couldn't you just get the boosters done there in order to maintain validity of the existing passports?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Northernraider , maybe I've missed something, but I thought that both your dogs already had EU (Spanish) Passports. If so, why do you want to get new ones in Germany? Couldn't you just get the boosters done there in order to maintain validity of the existing passports?
Because they had 3 year rabies boosters done in uk in august but for a Spanish passport it should only be anual ones
Because the Spanish passports require a rabies booster every year and can now oy be entered in EU .

Which is inconvenient at times.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Because they had 3 year rabies boosters done in uk in august but for a Spanish passport it should only be anual ones

Because the Spanish passports require a rabies booster every year and can now oy be entered in EU .

Which is inconvenient at times.
I may be going mad here, and would be glad if someone else could confirm it (maz?), but the way I see it, is that you have EU passports, which happen to have been originally issued in Spain, but which are valid throughout the EU, and in which vets of all countries throughout the EU can make valid entries.

A British vet carried out the boosters during the Transition Period, when British vets were recognised and authorised by the EU to complete EU passports. The British vet has put a sticker in your EU passports, indicating that the boosters are valid for 3 years. In order to maintain your Spanish-issued EU passports, an EU vet needs to administer the next boosters, by the date entered by the British vet in the passports.

If a Spanish vet administers those boosters, they will have had an expiry date of 12 months, because that is the condition applying to boosters administered in Spain. If a German vet administers them, they will have a 3-year expiry, because those are the conditions in Germany. As long as the boosters are carried out on time by an EU vet, then your passports will remain valid throughout the EU.

EU passports are valid throughout the EU, regardless of their country of issue. It is only British issued EU passports which are no longer valid, and it is only those which will now have to be replaced by passports issued within the EU27.

I hope that someone will come along and confirm whether this is right or not. :unsure:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I may be going mad here, and would be glad if someone else could confirm it (maz?), but the way I see it, is that you have EU passports, which happen to have been originally issued in Spain, but which are valid throughout the EU, and in which vets of all countries throughout the EU can make valid entries.

A British vet carried out the boosters during the Transition Period, when British vets were recognised and authorised by the EU to complete EU passports. The British vet has put a sticker in your EU passports, indicating that the boosters are valid for 3 years. In order to maintain your Spanish-issued EU passports, an EU vet needs to administer the next boosters, by the date entered by the British vet in the passports.

If a Spanish vet administers those boosters, they will have had an expiry date of 12 months, because that is the condition applying to boosters administered in Spain. If a German vet administers them, they will have a 3-year expiry, because those are the conditions in Germany. As long as the boosters are carried out on time by an EU vet, then your passports will remain valid throughout the EU.

EU passports are valid throughout the EU, regardless of their country of issue. It is only British issued EU passports which are no longer valid, and it is only those which will now have to be replaced by passports issued within the EU27.

I hope that someone will come along and confirm whether this is right or not. :unsure:
To be honest im lost with the whole thing but I don't want to find out when im trying to cross the channel etc that someone says their not valid.

I mean up till now no one has ever looked at the dog passports when entering the EU only ever when leaving to return to the uk

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

That’s how I see it as well, and I think you have explained it beautifully. (y)

However - and there’s always a ‘however’ :wink: - I remember in one of the other threads some debate on this Spanish issue. I seem to remember input from gus-lopez and maybe bobandjanie as well as Northernraider - but the first two Funsters are Spanish residents and Tam is not. I also remember just thinking I would avoid Spain as a source country for an EU Pet Passport.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That’s how I see it as well, and I think you have explained it beautifully. (y)

However - and there’s always a ‘however’ :wink: - I remember in one of the other threads some debate on this Spanish issue. I seem to remember input from gus-lopez and maybe bobandjanie as well as Northernraider - but the first two Funsters are Spanish residents and Tam is not. I also remember just thinking I would avoid Spain as a source country for an EU Pet Passport.
Yes i was sure that gus-lopez had said that only 1 year vaccinations were valid in Spanish passports which is why im unsure if the uk vet putting a 3 year vaccine in them may render them invalid.
I know that when i got jade's booster done in france they also had only a 1 year vaccine.

If the 3 year one is ok and the passports are ok then ill just carry on using those as i most likely won't be back in Spain in the next 2 years anyway then its simply a case of getting them wormed as normal on this return trip.

But i want to avoid the need for an ahc when i hopefully return to eastern Europe next winter

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I think bellabee is correct.
As I understand it there is a difference between the Pets Passport rules in general and specific countries rules on rabies vaccination for dogs in that country. The pets passports rules (as they were at the 31st Dec 2020 at any rate) are that the rabies vaccine is valid for the length of time the manufacturer of the vaccine says the vaccine works for - thus in the UK we almost exclusively used 3 year vaccines. However some countries e.g. France say that dogs in that country need a rabies vaccine every year. France will let dogs in without a problem on a 3 year vaccine that was done more than one year ago, but dogs domiciled in France need a rabies vaccine annually. I've known of those who have properties in France being told off by their vet in France for not having their dog vaccinated when they've been staying over there for an extended period. I think they said if they were staying there for longer than a month, the expectation would be that the dog should have annual rabies vaccines. (but don't take my word for that)
However perhaps its important to understand that the rules for Pets Passports in general do not precisely mesh with the rules for rabies vaccines in dogs in some EU countries.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
However perhaps its important to understand that the rules for Pets Passports in general do not precisely mesh with the rules for rabies vaccines in dogs in some EU countries.
Yes, that’s why it is important that some of us do the necessary research by contacting vets in different EU countries.

I have no idea about the specific requirements for resident French dogs but I do know that French vets can administer rabies boosters that last for 3 years. These are Versiguard and Rabisin. In the latter’s case, the first booster after initial vaccination must be at one year, then it becomes 3-yearly. Somewhat strangely, the Nobivac vaccine that is very common in the UK (where it has a duration of 3 years) is only authorised for one year in France.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
All my info re France's requirements is from what others have told me - so may well be out of date, or misunderstood on my part. I think I got the gist of the tale right though it was several years ago. Interesting that Nobivac is only licensed for 1 year in France. I wonder if they got an early authorisation in France when they first produced it and never bothered to change it. After all in a country where rabies vaccines are required a shorter period of cover means more vaccines sold. (pure speculation on my part - but what else is the internet for?)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This is the page from jades passport and the reason i was concerned about the last entry done in the uk ...
20210220_115044.jpg

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
I’ve had a reply from the vets La Mailleraye, it was in French so I used google translate. If there are any fluent french speakers I can put the original e mail up if you wish.

Hello,

Sir, madam
Regarding your request, it is possible to issue you a European passport, the cost of the passport is 7.30, during the issue we will report the identification of your animal and the data relating to the valid anti-rabies vaccination (according to the 'MA of the vaccine that was administered)
the validity of our rabies vaccines is 3 years
for information the price of the complete vaccination is 54 euros
rabies vaccination alone 40.20 euros
the price of dewormer is 10 euros per tablet up to 25 kg in weight
hoping to have answered your request
we remain at your disposal
Best regards
Valerie

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What concerns you about the entry?
No sticker and 3 year validity on Spanish passport but people say that's ok so maybe not a problem. Fairly new dog owner so ive only crossed chanel a few times with them ...just dont want the possibility of refused entry etc ... especially under current climate.

But if its all good then ill just do worming as normal and keep these passports

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
No sticker isn't a problem - vaccine used, batch number and expiry date - ie "use before" date - clearly visible. (exp date not really necessary as can be deduced from batch number). Three years not a problem either IMO.
I would say you're good to go.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I’ve had a reply from the vets La Mailleraye, it was in French so I used google translate. If there are any fluent french speakers I can put the original e mail up if you wish.

Hello,

Sir, madam
Regarding your request, it is possible to issue you a European passport, the cost of the passport is 7.30, during the issue we will report the identification of your animal and the data relating to the valid anti-rabies vaccination (according to the 'MA of the vaccine that was administered)
the validity of our rabies vaccines is 3 years
for information the price of the complete vaccination is 54 euros
rabies vaccination alone 40.20 euros
the price of dewormer is 10 euros per tablet up to 25 kg in weight
hoping to have answered your request
we remain at your disposal
Best regards
Valerie
yodeli ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun