Service suggestions and costs? (4 Viewers)

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Due a service soon along with an overdue MOT and wanted advice on service costs and what should be included on those services, so far I have been told the following are available.... vehicle is 2012 2.3 Ducato, manual with 40k miles.

1. Oil and filter plus air filter

2. As above plus brakes cleaned/adjusted, other fluids and mechanical components checked/topped up, tyre pressures. Full check of underside.

3. Full service, all fluids including brake fluid, all filters and full checkover.

So, is there much missing or stuff I should or shouldn’t bother with?

Any ideas on costs, fiat or independent?

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Up to ours being five years old we used a Fiat Professional commercial garage, last year we started using an independent van service.
His top tip was service and MOT at the same time as he has to look at the same areas anyway.
Last year was under £100 because only the MOT and oil/filter was needed.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Depends to some extent upon your mileage since the last service.
I don't ask what's 'available' but I tell them what I want done. E.g. I don't want to pay garage rates for someone to top up my washer bottle, brake fluid, check tyre pressures, wiper blades, lights, oil the door hinges etc.
You need to check if it's due a replacement cambelt (usually accompanied by water pump and belt tensioner).
Otherwise I request a change of oil and engine and fuel filters.
I would never use a main dealer with extortionate labour rates.
If you indicate where you are maybe someone can recommend an independent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Depends to some extent upon your mileage since the last service.
I don't ask what's 'available' but tell them what I want done. E.g. I don't want to pay garage rates for someone to top up my washer bottle, brake fluid, check tyre pressures, wiper blades, lights, oil the door hinges etc.
You need to check if it's due a replacement cambelt (usually accompanied by water pump and belt tensioner).
Otherwise I request a change of oil and engine and fuel filters.
I would never use a main dealer with extortionate labour rates.
If you indicate where you are maybe someone can recommend an independent.

I am in Peterborough, I need to double check but from memory the last service including cambelt etc was around 6k miles ago but that was 23 months ago. I also had the front brake pads changed and the rest of the brakes stripped and cleaned last September.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Up to ours being five years old we used a Fiat Professional commercial garage, last year we started using an independent van service.
His top tip was service and MOT at the same time as he has to look at the same areas anyway.
Last year was under £100 because only the MOT and oil/filter was needed.

Bargain.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I am in Peterborough, I need to double check but from memory the last service including cambelt etc was around 6k miles ago but that was 23 months ago. I also had the front brake pads changed and the rest of the brakes stripped and cleaned last September.
TBH After only 6,000 mls and in view of what was done last Sept I'd just have the engine oil and filter and fuel filter changed. (Fuel filters collect water). If it's on level ground park it with the handbrake off.
I'm assuming you can do the routine checks and top-ups yourself.
As Hettie's Crew said any dodgy zorst mountings, suspension, brakes, steering, tyres, lights etc. will be checked at the MOT

Reactions: M-J
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
TBH After only 6,000 mls and in view of what was done last Sept I'd just have the engine oil and filter and fuel filter changed. (Fuel filters collect water). If it's on level ground park it with the handbrake off.
I'm assuming you can do the routine checks and top-ups yourself.

I was thinking the same but also including the air filter. The only other thing was brake fluid?

I spoke to my local Fiat and they said their full service included gearbox oil, seems extreme to me.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I was thinking the same but also including the air filter. The only other thing was brake fluid?

I spoke to my local Fiat and they said their full service included gearbox oil, seems extreme to me.
Air filter won't hurt (a mouse may be nesting in there ;) )
Brake fluid - Presumably you mean changing it rather than topping it up. I can't say unless you know when it was last done and I'm inclined to withhold advice as it's a safety issue.
Gearbox oil - Hmm, difficult to say without knowing if/when it was last changed. Unless the Fiat g/box has a peculiar weakness that requires oil changing I wouldn't have it done. (Assuming there are no oil leaks).
Other opinions are available.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Here are the bills for a 2007 3.0 multijet service, l do it all myself now lve retired, good luck 😃
IMG_20210129_125106.jpg
IMG_20210129_125054.jpg

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Just checked my service book and MH folder, last service was 23 months ago at 36800 miles, oil and filter, air filter, cam belt etc and a full PDi. Then brakes, stripped, cleaned, front pads in sept 20. MOT last year no issues, not expecting any this year.

It’s now at 40450, approx 3500 miles done 1st year and 1000 miles last year for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Just had an email quote from the local Fiat Professional garage...

To replace the engine oil & filter, re-set service light, replace air filter & fuel filter, also to replace gearbox oil & change brake fluid.

Parts £271.78 + vat

Labour £204.00 + vat

😲

I’m still not sure why they think the gearbox oil needs doing?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
That'll be best part of 600 quid which sounds a lot to me. The parts cost (£326 inc vat) seems high for just 3 filters and the oil and brake fluid.
Maybe I'm out of touch as I've always done my own servicing/repairs on all of my vehicles and only ever replaced g/box oil after a g/box strip down.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Everyone has a different idea what should be included in a service. I know one thing our garage does every time, is wheels off and clean and grease the back so that they are not stuck on .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

To replace the engine oil & filter, re-set service light, replace air filter & fuel filter, also to replace gearbox oil & change brake fluid.

Parts £271.78 + vat

Labour £204.00 + vat

😲

Gearbox oils are occasionally changed to remove the particle build up which can act as abrasive, this abrasive can cause premature wear of components. Some vehicles have a magnet on the drain plug you will be amazed to see what is actually sticking to it.

• Informative
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Parts £271.78 + vat

Labour £204.00 + vat

😲

I'd say that was a bit of a joke ,but there again?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Whilst asking my local dealer (Weston-super-Mare) about recalls and fault warning light, I asked for their prices for servicing.

He said although the manual states 2 years or 30,000 miles, depending on how you use the vehicle they recommend minor service at 12 months.....£185 and major service at 2 years......£385.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Going back to the op
If your going to have the brake pads removed and cleaned etc
You may as well have new pads fitted imho

I took it in to have the fronts changed, it was a freebie sorted by a business partner that also owns a recovery company so when I picked it up he said we’ve stripped, checked and cleaned the backs and hardly any wear so didn’t change.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Parts £271.78 + vat

Labour £204.00 + vat

😲

Gorden Bennet had all that done last year except air filter replacement,,mine has to be cleaned and it was less than 200 pounds,,older van so oil not so expensive.BUSBY.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Still can’t find anywhere with a sensible quote, called an independent earlier to quote for engine oil and filter, air & fuel filter... £360!

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Still can’t find anywhere with a sensible quote, called an independent earlier to quote for engine oil and filter, air & fuel filter... £360!
Doing a quick Google search, FRM looks the sort of place I would try, though obviously I have no knowledge of them, not being from that area.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

No sure about MoHo but Halfords seem to cheap oil changes.
I would have thought £40 for oil - Filter £10 - 1/2 hour in time £30 -----£80 ----- £100 tops

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
No sure about MoHo but Halfords seem to cheap oil changes.
I would have thought £40 for oil - Filter £10 - 1/2 hour in time £30 -----£80 ----- £100 tops

Not sure they do anything that long but even if they do I’m not sure I’d want them to.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Not sure they do anything that long but even if they do I’m not sure I’d want them to.

Even they can change the oil and filter on a Fiat van.
Its not rocket science - even I can do on the drive it in less than 1/2 hour

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Very little difference changing oil an filters on a motorhome than doing a car,,BUSBY.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The oil needed is not the cheap stuff if you want your engine to last. It needs to be fully synthetic and that's not cheap.

Basically you need a full filter change with oil change and general check over. Every time, check the brake fluid for contamination. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, as in it absorbs water over time from the atmosphere and causes brake failure. Testing is simple if you have the correct meter, just dip it in the master cylinder and take a reading. On the later ducato, the brakes and clutch use the same master cylinder

My local guy charges £75 labour plus any parts and oil for a service

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Even they can change the oil and filter on a Fiat van.
Its not rocket science - even I can do on the drive it in less than 1/2 hour
They managed to flood their workshop floor with oil when they managed to miss the O-ring off the filter on a change they did for me on a Jag years ago... Luckily realised whilst it was on the lift and stopped the engine quickly and no damage done

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
They managed to flood their workshop floor with oil when they managed to miss the O-ring off the filter on a change they did for me on a Jag years ago... Luckily realised whilst it was on the lift and stopped the engine quickly and no damage done
O ring? copper washer surely?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back