Could this be a workaround for the EU Pet Passport after 1 Jan 2021? (5 Viewers)

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Totally agree, its just something that those who have or get an EU PP need to remember to get done when on holiday.

Hi, Just catching up on this thread, I see sterling work has been done, many thanks to every one who has contributed.
It seem to have solved the main hurdle, the address at time of getting EU PP, this can be described as temporary and as there is no defination of temporary it could be described as our temporary address when visiting EU, providing they don't ask for receipts for stays on campsite for any duration of time.
One other thing that I have thought of which affects us is as I lost the second dog last year I no longer have a PP issued before 1st of Jan so I have with my new ball of energetic fire I call a puppy, her Inoculation record, up to date with her 2 jabs plus her first Rabies jab done 4 weeks ago issued in UK. Would a Eu vet accept that for the new EU PP. Or I might have to have a booster given at the same time as the Passport. And have the regular Inoculations done in Uk, on separate record card ????? Also will our used to be? EU accredited vets still be accepted in EU as such. Just a thought. Bruce.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Hi, Just catching up on this thread, I see sterling work has been done, many thanks to every one who has contributed.
It seem to have solved the main hurdle, the address at time of getting EU PP, this can be described as temporary and as there is no defination of temporary it could be described as our temporary address when visiting EU, providing they don't ask for receipts for stays on campsite for any duration of time.
One other thing that I have thought of which affects us is as I lost the second dog last year I no longer have a PP issued before 1st of Jan so I have with my new ball of energetic fire I call a puppy, her Inoculation record, up to date with her 2 jabs plus her first Rabies jab done 4 weeks ago issued in UK. Would a Eu vet accept that for the new EU PP. Or I might have to have a booster given at the same time as the Passport. And have the regular Inoculations done in Uk, on separate record card ????? Also will our used to be? EU accredited vets still be accepted in EU as such. Just a thought. Bruce.
Just get all the regular vacc.s done in the uk and recorded on the vacc card that is nothing to do with the passport but if you want the eu passport you will need to get the rabies transferred over or redone by the eu vet into the eu passport and get the rabies boosters done in the eu in future.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Casper has a French passport. Our French bet is the one we have used for 20 years when staying in our holi

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just get all the regular vacc.s done in the uk and recorded on the vacc card that is nothing to do with the passport but if you want the eu passport you will need to get the rabies transferred over or redone by the eu vet into the eu passport and get the rabies boosters done in the eu in future.
Not sure if I've caught up on all that has been discussed on this thread, however, if you already have a EU passport and have had the rabies booster and titre tests done in the U.K. previously, are you saying that from now on you will have to have the rabies jabs done in the EU in order to use your EU passport without the need for a AHC?

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Bruce. You will need to get an Animal Health Certificate issued for your puppy before you next travel to the EU. This AHC can then be used to obtain an EU pet passport.

As in post #205, the ‘How to complete pet passports’ booklet states:

A passport can also be issued for an animal accompanied by a Third Country certificate which has been issued in a non- EU country. The animal must be microchipped and have a current rabies vaccination (and have been blood tested, in the case of an unlisted Third Country).

Countries (or possibly just vets) seem to vary in their requirements for a booster before issuing a pet passport. From what I have read on various sites it seems that in particular Germany, and on occasions France, has required a booster.

Once you have an EU-issued pet passport do not allow a UK vet to write anything in it. This will invalidate it.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Not sure if I've caught up on all that has been discussed on this thread, however, if you already have a EU passport and have had the rabies booster and titre tests done in the U.K. previously, are you saying that from now on you will have to have the rabies jabs done in the EU in order to use your EU passport without the need for a AHC?
Yes.

Except you don’t actually need the titre test.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Hi Bruce. You will need to get an Animal Health Certificate issued for your puppy before you next travel to the EU. This AHC can then be used to obtain an EU pet passport.

As in post #205, the ‘How to complete pet passports’ booklet states:

A passport can also be issued for an animal accompanied by a Third Country certificate which has been issued in a non- EU country. The animal must be microchipped and have a current rabies vaccination (and have been blood tested, in the case of an unlisted Third Country).

Countries (or possibly just vets) seem to vary in their requirements for a booster before issuing a pet passport. From what I have read on various sites it seems that in particular Germany, and on occasions France, has required a booster.

Once you have an EU-issued pet passport do not allow a UK vet to write anything in it. This will invalidate it.

Hi Maz, Thanks for reply, I had read the previous posts on PP entry's, I understand the PP issued in EU would only have record of rabies vacs and annual jabs done in UK on separate record card. NB; she has of course been microchipped.
Good work!! Bruce

Reactions: maz
Dec 7, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7yrs
My new Spanish rescue had his last rabies booster jab 3 months ago in Spain (valid till 2023) so i want to do titre test now. If uk vet had it tested at eu approved serioligy lab can you think of a reason why next time I'm in Europe, a vet couldn't use certificate to fill in passport?
Or is this a rubbish idea 😆

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My new Spanish rescue had his last rabies booster jab 3 months ago in Spain (valid till 2023) so i want to do titre test now. If uk vet had it tested at eu approved serioligy lab can you think of a reason why next time I'm in Europe, a vet couldn't use certificate to fill in passport?
I’m a bit confused here. If your dog is a Spanish rescue, hasn’t he already got an EU pet passport (issued in Spain)? Why do you want to do a titre test?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm assuming you have got an EU Passport already, if so why do you want a titre test as it's not a requirement?

Dec 7, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7yrs
If we go back to .Morocco or Greece, (through Albania etc) we'll need the titre test. If i can get it done now there's more chance of a good result and it's done and dusted. By the time we get back into Europe tbere is .more chance of the test failing, and lots of hanging about getting it sorted

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If we go back to .Morocco or Greece, (through Albania etc) we'll need the titre test. If i can get it done now there's more chance of a good result and it's done and dusted. By the time we get back into Europe tbere is .more chance of the test failing, and lots of hanging about getting it sorted
Afraid titre tests are a bit beyond my remit. I’ve got enough to do with trying to sort out pet passports. :rofl:

Maybe start another thread with your specific question? It’ll be more likely to be seen by people who might know the answer, rather than getting buried in here. :Smile:

Dec 7, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7yrs
Thanks Maz this really helpful thread has straightened everything out in my head, just this last point to go

Reactions: maz
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Update

I am copying the following across from the ‘Actual vet charges’ thread as it is highly pertinent:

'For info for dog owners traveling to and from Europe. Since jan 1st you are required to obtain a AHC from your vet to travel to Europe and this only lasts 4 months and some prices are upwards of £100 each time. I have spoken to The pet travel helpline which is a government linked organisation (0370 241 1710) and they have confirmed if while you are in Europe and obtain a European pet passport for your dog then you will no longer need a AHC to travel back and forth from UK to europe. We are visiting a vet tomorrow in Portugal to obtain a European pet passport, quoted cost is €15. They transfer all info from current passport into a new one and another bonus is the restrictions of the AHC of 4 months is no longer a problem. Hope this helps make future pet travel a little easier.'

The above is a copy of a post made on the Hymer Owners' Group Facebook page, three days ago. If anyone is worried about going down this route, a call to the Pet Travel Helpline may help to put their mind at rest.

This was originally posted by bellabee - many thanks. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Interesting article on BBC News today, primarily re assistance dogs, but relative to pet travel too. 'We will continue to press the EU commission on awarding GB Part 1 listed status, recognising that achieving this would alleviate some of these new requirements' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-55840418
If we do get Part 1 status with the EU, just as we had previously, then all this 'nonsense' would go away instantly. I bet some UK vets would be smarting though seeing as they've been 'rubbing their greedy hands' with the extra extortionate AHC dosh they've been hoping to make!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Interesting article on BBC News today, primarily re assistance dogs, but relative to pet travel too. 'We will continue to press the EU commission on awarding GB Part 1 listed status, recognising that achieving this would alleviate some of these new requirements' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-55840418
Yes, why aren’t we Part I listed?

I have learnt that the determination of a country’s listed status is decided by the EU Standing Committee on Plants, Animals, Food and Feed (also known as PAFF!) but I have been unable to find the actual requirements for being Part I listed.

https://vethelpdirect.com/vetblog/2...ssports-whats-happening-december-2020-update/

From the above article it also seems that if we were to become Part I listed we would still need a new pet passport to be issued (presumably to remove the words ‘European Union’), but this would be a walk in the sunlit uplands park compared to the AHC nonsense.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
when once we have the pet passport issued by an EU country (in our case Austria) it is business as usual for us other than getting a booster jab done every three years in Austria instead of the UK.
Just trawling through this thread again trying to bring info together from various similar threads. Please can you tell me which vet in Austria you use? Thank you.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Update

The following was originally posted by Fragle in the Actual vet charges thread but was so good that it needs to be posted here too, bringing this thread to a highly satisfactory conclusion. Many thanks to everyone who contributed. (y)

I called DEFRA today to confirm what I was reading on websites

AHC will defiantly be required for first visit to EU.

Getting an EU pet passport is all ok you will no longer need a AHC to travel back and forth and save a fortune:ROFLMAO:

One issue is that only an EU vet can do the Rabies vaccinations and fill in the passport British vets are not allowed.

We now need a list of fair priced EU vets issuing passports(y)

Have to say lady was very helpful and also commented on the money you will save having the passport and not AHC

:clap2:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
So does does the current rabies jab/booster not count? What about if you’ve had the titre test?

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
So does does the current rabies jab/booster not count? What about if you’ve had the titre test?
Current rabies vaccination will count in that it will be used to complete the AHC. You can then use this AHC to obtain an EU-issued Pet Passport once you are in Europe. Some vets/countries may insist on a further rabies booster before issuing the Pet Passport, some may not. It is way too early to have a definitive database on this; it is therefore down to the individual to enquire for themselves. Forget the titre test - it is not needed to enter Europe from the UK. That was just a possibility if the UK became an ‘unlisted’ country - instead it has become Part II listed.

Just remember, once you have an EU-issued Pet Passport - all future rabies boosters must be given in the EU. If you choose your country and vet wisely, this will only be required every 3 years.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but just to add to it for info.

We are in the process of getting our dogs EU passport done. It is currently at the vets now having the important stuff transferred.

As far as I understand it, we will have to get her rabies booster every year to maintain the EU passport, as well as getting it done in the EU. As she was due next year (in the UK) for her booster I am happy for her to have it a year early. I believe all EU countries require a yearly booster, at least that is the case in France and Spain.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but just to add to it for info.

We are in the process of getting our dogs EU passport done. It is currently at the vets now having the important stuff transferred.

As far as I understand it, we will have to get her rabies booster every year to maintain the EU passport, as well as getting it done in the EU. As she was due next year (in the UK) for her booster I am happy for her to have it a year early. I believe all EU countries require a yearly booster, at least that is the case in France and Spain.
Not in Portugal. We got an eu passport recently and the vet transferred the rabies details as it had 2 years left to run

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Sandra. Not all EU countries require an annual rabies booster - Portugal, Belgium and Germany are known to do 3-year vaccines. Spain seems to be a bit of a pain in this regard, wanting annual boosters for no apparent good reason. See the thread Rabies vaccination duration

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Ours is Spanish we get hers done in Portugal it's 3 years Sandra. 👍 Bob.
Hi Sandra. Not all EU countries require an annual rabies booster - Portugal, Belgium and Germany are known to do 3-year vaccines. Spain seems to be a bit of a pain in this regard, wanting annual boosters for no apparent good reason. See the thread Rabies vaccination duration
Problem is we don't go to Portugal often. However, assuming we did, the next time her booster is due, we could get a 3 year booster done then? As passport is an EU passport I assume it all swings on what date the vet puts in the passport for the next booster? Or have I misunderstood everything.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We usually go to France and sometimes Germany twice a year and can see the cost benefit of having an EU passport. Don’t know what future plans will be so I’m thinking of a Belgium vet who is happy with the rabies jab on a 3 year basis. Will have to do some research in preparation for next year (can’t see us getting over the channel in 2021☹️). However can but hope that the UK status will change 🤞

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Problem is we don't go to Portugal often. However, assuming we did, the next time her booster is due, we could get a 3 year booster done then? As passport is an EU passport I assume it all swings on what date the vet puts in the passport for the next booster? Or have I misunderstood everything.

I know what your saying, 😉 a bit like whenever our MOT was, it always got moved to August because we went back mid July for Janie's birthday with our daughters, and that gave us options. 🙂
You really want the Rabies at a convenient time when you come out or return, if you get it now , next year would probably be earlier and get it in Belgium Germany or Portugal then its every 3 years. 🤔 Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back