What's so great about motorhoming in France? (2 Viewers)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Where would the best area or time of year to avoid excessive heat. As a Jock I don't do hot!!!
Don't forget, the north of France is only 22 miles from the south of England so the weather is very similar.
May and September are lovely times to be in France but just have a couple of weather apps on your phone and go where the weather looks nice. Too cold....head south, too hot stay north.
Don't forget, in France, outside of August, you don't need to book anything in advance. Just follow the weather and go where the fancy takes you.

Richard.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
As a first trip, you would probably be better off making sure you avoid French holiday times. some places, particularly near the coast can get quite crowded. the Bisin-Fute website gives details of holiday times/hotspots
Will check that out thanks. I doubt if it will be next year as I hope to visit family as I never got there this year due to this :swear2: virus which will probably still be with us

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Drove all the way through France to the Med coast then down to Castillon and only used one toll...... The Millau viaduct.
I know 'door' 'hello' 'thank you' in French and still managed.
That's three more words than I know in Spanish.
Bet you know how to order a beer,,,BUSBY😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Transited and stayed in France many times on the Harley, but I have ZERO interest going there in a motorhome, other than coming out the tunnel and heading to Belgium.
Germany is far nicer👍

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Transited and stayed in France many times on the Harley, but I have ZERO interest going there in a motorhome, other than coming out the tunnel and heading to Belgium.
Germany is far nicer👍
If we get to France, Germany is in my sights too 👍Don't tell the Mrs though :giggler:

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Where would you recommend to be the ideal area for a short trip to dip our toe in the water to get a taste for the country?

Normandy. We went last year for the first time , in a mustang not a motorhome but we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it , get the fast cat pompey to cherbourg 3 hours port to port , everything you want to see is within 100miles so no long drives apart from Portsmouth

When I booked it my wife said its not going to be all battlefields is it

er

But when we got there she found it all very interesting though there's much more than WW2 in normandy, it's beautiful

We were booked to go again this may but obviously all cancelled
20190903_130608.jpg

this shop was interesting in bayeux, it hadn't changed since the war
20190907_103349.jpg
20190907_094732.jpg
20190901_202613.jpg

Last edited:

Bikevanhappy

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3yrs
What are Mrs Bold Davy's interests, what does she like to do on holiday? It would help with suggesting where to go.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Lovely photos. where were they taken? Particularly the beaches, the market and the lavender field :giggle:
we love going to France, and can’t wait to finish our conversion so we can enjoy more of it. We particularly like Brittany, Il de Re and Mont St Michel too.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
europe and france in particular is the place you can actually use a motorhome properly.its very rare to be more than ten kilometres from a place to stop you can just wander, aires vary from roadside parking spaces in villages to huge carparks near the coast or attraction our favourites are river and lake side ones

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We went to Brittany in 2001 and hired a barn conversions type place, I found most places were shut and they all seem to eat pancakes with everything from strawberries to mincemeat on them no pubs like we are used to, I was glad we took some decent food with us.

I have not been back since luck for us the weather was good or it would have been a long week. 🙂

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
For me as a leisurely cyclist it’s easier for cycling in France. Cycle routes are better and the traffic in rural areas are cycling friendly. We was cycling once in France and the other half found the hill a bit steep so was pushing the bike. A couple in a van stopped because they thought she had a puncture. Just better for cycling there.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
What are Mrs Bold Davy's interests, what does she like to do on holiday? It would help with suggesting where to go.
She would like to be able to walk into a village or town visit shops and places of interest, not stuck in a field miles from anywhere which is something which is all to common in the UK. She's never experienced another country or culture as I have and I would love to show her what she's been missing. There is so much which would be new to her. To visit historic buildings or simply see how other people live would be great. She's a retired head chef so I'm sure she would love to sample the food, there's just so much which is different.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I’m a Scot that loves France (and don’t tell the English, but the French love the Scots too).
I suppose historically they love the Scots.

Yes, if after your best efforts to speak French they reply “ahh, English” just reply with “non, Ecosse” they will light up and pat you on the back saying “ahh, Ecosse, Ecosse, c’est bonne, c’est bonne (it’s good, it’s good)”.

Much to my (English) wife’s annoyance, it works every time. 😁

Ian

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We went to Brittany in 2001 and hired a barn conversions type place, I found most places were shut and they all seem to eat pancakes with everything from strawberries to mincemeat on them no pubs like we are used to, I was glad we took some decent food with us.

I have not been back since luck for us the weather was good or it would have been a long week. 🙂
You were in the wrong place

Free Member
Mar 22, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Rapido 604ff Low Profile
Exp
Hi Wee Bold Davy I have been reading this post with interest. As you are a baker you may like to know that the French take their bread very seriously, particularly their Baguette. By law, every village must have a
boulangerie or a place that sells bread that is not baked on the premises. In towns almost every street will have one but they must close by law on one day in the week or they will be fined. The nicest and original Baguette has a little burnt tail on the end which the French people break off and eat on the way home.
One more thing, get yourself a windscreen tag for the tolls as wives don’t like being faced with the problem of paying on their side.
Enjoy your travels, Bonjour when you enter shop or market stall and au revoir as you leave, they will love you.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
She would like to be able to walk into a village or town visit shops and places of interest, not stuck in a field miles from anywhere which is something which is all to common in the UK. She's never experienced another country or culture as I have and I would love to show her what she's been missing. There is so much which would be new to her. To visit historic buildings or simply see how other people live would be great. She's a retired head chef so I'm sure she would love to sample the food, there's just so much which is different.
Loads of village aires where you are in or very near the village

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Lovely photos. where were they taken? Particularly the beaches, the market and the lavender field :giggle:
we love going to France, and can’t wait to finish our conversion so we can enjoy more of it. We particularly like Brittany, Il de Re and Mont St Michel too.
Thanks, the beaches are Brittany from memory and the lavender Provence of course.

If you do a search for titles beginning "Two Go to" by me you should find most of the threads although on the most recent trip we "pottered" instead. :)

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie

Is this a joke post

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Loads of village aires where you are in or very near the village
Music to my ears, usually spend a lot of time on Google maps trying to find suitable Moho parking while travelling around the UK. 👍

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No. Just try a bit but most speak reasonable English. Take a phrase book and al least have a go.

download google translate to your phone, you can either type a word or phrase or just photograph a piece of text like an information board.

Where would the best area or time of year to avoid excessive heat. As a Jock I don't do hot!!!
It is a large country, so we normally go May/June and Sept/October but travel France according to the weather forecast. If we hit hot weather, we will look for a shady grassy campsite maybe with a pool but as there is no need to book, we just play it by ear.
I know it is difficult to jump in when you are going for the first time.
Have a read of any thread by DBK for a good route although they tend to get ferry to Normandy or Brittany.
If you know your preference for ferry crossing or tunnel, we can help with stops for first couple of nights, that is all you will need in advance.

Reactions: DBK

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Don’t do it, it’s addictive.

We lived in Germany for 6 years. Toured extensively in France, Spain, Netherlands etc on our motorcycles.........ruined our touring in the UK.

We toured with a caravan when the kids were young, we’ve now got our first MH and can’t wait to hit the continent in it.

Pick the right routes and you will have many traffic free miles of touring.

Please, before anyone thinks I’m UK bashing you couldn’t be further from the truth. We still love touring the UK, but it’s a fact......there’s more room on the European mainland. (y)

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
download google translate to your phone, you can either type a word or phrase or just photograph a puece of text like an information board.

It is a large country, so we normally go May/June and Sept/October but travel France according to the weather forecast. If we hit hot weather, we will look for a shady grassy campsite maybe with a pool but as there is no need to book, we justbplay it by ear.
I know it is difficult to jump in when you are going for the first time.
Have a read of any thread by DBK for a good route although they tend to get ferry to Normandy or Brittany.
If you know your preference for ferry crossing or tunnel, we can help with stops for first couple of nights, that is all you will need in advance.
Thank you. That's what I love about this forum. I knew nothing about Motorhoming when I joined. I spent two years learning, asking daft questions before we were in a position to be informed enough to part with our hard earned cash and buy our first van. 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back