What's so great about motorhoming in France? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Normandy. Do the WW2 sights
Where would you recommend to be the ideal area for a short trip to dip our toe in the water to get a taste for the country?
Hmm, Normandy WW2 sights don't do it for me. The small harbours on the Cherbourg peninsular are delightful and I'm not demeaning that tragic loss of life, courage and sacrifices but when you've seen one concrete blockhouse and a few museums of tin helmets and trench reconstructions you've seen 'em all. Besides, I think you need something more tempting for the cautious lady.
Brittany is much like your home of Wales. Nice working harbours, attractive coast and fabulous seafood.
However I'm a fan of the Loire Valley. Beautiful rivers, stunning countryside, vinyards, interesting medieval villages and architecture and numerous fresh food markets, plus the brocantes (antique markets) and vides greniers (car boot sales).
Haute (Upper) Normandy itself is good for a short trip. Medieval Rouen is interesting (circa 70 miles from Dieppe) and Bayeux has the tapestry. I've often spent a long weekend based at Dieppe and touring daily from there.

Don't worry about driving on the wrong side of the road. Everyone does it all the time over there.

Oh, and don't worry about the language, the menus are often in French and English. One from my travels..........

FranglishFirstCourse.jpg

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A few snapshots but they only give a flavour. :) You don't need to know the language, shopping in supermarkets is very easy. Driving is no problem but take it slow in villages and don't exceed the speed limits anywhere. :)

P9050082.jpg
P5200255.jpg
P6243072.jpg
P6243090.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_11161457051636_20190831_181318169.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_1751735887547_20190921_160740351.jpg
DSC_0223.jpg
9-loire-at-retournac.jpg
10-laverie.jpg
8-puy-en-vulay-sunset.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_2214299023525_20191002_192230292.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_490367954135_20191003_205705258.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_5394909574085_20191024_204805688.jpg
DSC_0440.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_84314912187361_20191026_164930728.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
There is so much more to France than D day landings and Normandy!

The Loire Valley is a great place to visit places such as Amboise (Leonardo da Vinci is interned in the Chateau and he had his house just down the road from there, also Chinon is not too far.

The boulangerie can have amazing pastry treats along with the bread which can be absolutely amazing as a Baker you will recognise the quality outlets often you can see the queue outside on a Sunday Morning!

Oh and don't forget to turn right on a roundabout ;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Go on the tunnel and book a flexible ticket, you may want to extend!

Oh and Chris , the more they eat, the less I tread on on a rainy day, I hate that crunching sound.

Thatā€™s true. But watch out for those legless frogs (y)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Surprised no-one has mentioned get a SATNAV. It is a must for the first timer.
Also get hold of a book of AIRES around France. Google will help you find one.
Be prepared for an expensive trip. The motorways are great for getting from a to b, but costly.
Using non-motorway routes can test the nerves at times.
Having said all that - my first trip around France was worth every penny spent

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I know. But I struggle to spend time and money in a country where Macron is so obviously anti-UK

NOT political. Great thread.
Not many places left to visit then ,,Scotland,Wales probably agree with Macron ..Spain and Portugal ok..Would not let any politicians opinion stop me visiting a country..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Surprised no-one has mentioned get a SATNAV. It is a must for the first timer.
Also get hold of a book of AIRES around France. Google will help you find one.
Be prepared for an expensive trip. The motorways are great for getting from a to b, but costly.
Using non-motorway routes can test the nerves at times.
Having said all that - my first trip around France was worth every penny spent
You don't need an Aires book,,download Campercontact..BUSBY.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Mike, one of the reasons that we bought the Moho was because of my wives phobia. I've flown everywhere I've ever wanted to go to so I'm cool with that. It's almost 20 years since I last was on a plane and it doesn't really bother me.
Did you ever watch 'the A team' on TV.
Remember they used to knock out B A Baracuss to get him on a plane.
There's the seedlings for a plan.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Only drawback I can think of is campsite and public toilets leave a lot to desire.

Other than that, everything that has been said here is correct.

IMO, Aires can be a but hit & miss but if you are only after a nights stop then most are fine. We have also stayed a couple of days at some great Aires, you takes your chance as they say.

Toll Roads can be expensive but if you are not strapped for time (like I am) then non-toll roads are a great way to see things.

The best thing about France is you can chase the weather, last year we planned to go into Germany but the weather in Northern Europe was forecast as a bit ropey when we went so we just got off the the tunnel and headed South. Three days and we were in St Tropez in the sun.

If the weather is great, stay along the Brittany coast. It's beautiful.

A couple of years ago we went around Holland and had amazing weather and it is a brilliant place. we did campsites there though, not aires (or equivalent).

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Think I'll try and learn a bit, I'm sure making an effort would be appreciated, saying that they have trouble here in Wales with my Glasgow accent, they say they understand the Polish better :giggler:
All you need is bonjour and merci... (hello & thank you) they will know you are English and will want to speak to you in English for them to practice... I must stress though that bonjour is always the first word you say wherever you are and whenever you greet someone, some will ignore you if you just say ā€œhelloā€... once the bonjour is out of the way then your best ā€œInspector Clouseauā€ impression will suffice but if you learn some french then you will make some friends...

Once Iā€™d been to France i did not want to tour England... you can virtually park up anywhere and be welcomed, park4night and Campercontact, search4sites is all you need...

MotorhomeFunā€™s favourite frenchie yodeli lives there so what more can you ask for..šŸ˜

Good luck and enjoy..šŸ‘šŸ¼

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Iā€™m a Scot that loves France (and donā€™t tell the English, but the French love the Scots too).

There is so much to see and do there, just choose your desired weather or landscape and you mostly can find it. Be that mountains, lakes, beaches, hot, temperate or cold.

And of course the food is typically great.

My wife doesnā€™t like flying either, but loves our multiple trips per year to France for summer or winter holidays (pre-COVID).

And now we have our MoHo we can take our home with us too!

Some hate it, but I love the experience of going to some more off the beaten track places where you have to speak French. It truly feels that you are getting away from it (even if you donā€™t speak the language).

In summary, stop prevaricating, and go and have a life changing experience.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Not many places left to visit then ,,Scotland,Wales probably agree with Macron ..Spain and Portugal ok..Would not let any politicians opinion stop me visiting a country..BUSBY.
I know. I know. But it does stick in my craw with his attitude.

Maybe in 2021 I might go back.

Still prefer Germany.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
As you may have gathered France is (to many) motorhome heaven, indeed as are the surrounding countries.

Just remember that France is closed on Sundays and Mondays, and between the hours of 12:00-14:00.

We love it.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Iā€™m a Scot that loves France (and donā€™t tell the English, but the French love the Scots too).

There is so much to see and do there, just choose your desired weather or landscape and you mostly can find it. Be that mountains, lakes, beaches, hot, temperate or cold.

And of course the food is typically great.

My wife doesnā€™t like flying either, but loves our multiple trips per year to France for summer or winter holidays (pre-COVID).

And now we have our MoHo we can take our home with us too!

Some hate it, but I love the experience of going to some more off the beaten track places where you have to speak French. It truly feels that you are getting away from it (even if you donā€™t speak the language).

In summary, stop prevaricating, and go and have a life changing experience.
I suppose historically they love the Scots. Will need to look out my 'see you Jimmy hat' not worn that since I was at Hampden watching Dalglish, Bremner and Co strutting their stuff :giggler:

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Where would the best area or time of year to avoid excessive heat. As a Jock I don't do hot!!!

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
As a first trip, you would probably be better off making sure you avoid French holiday times. some places, particularly near the coast can get quite crowded. the Bisin-Fute website gives details of holiday times/hotspots

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Where would the best area or time of year to avoid excessive heat. As a Jock I don't do hot!!!

The further south you go the warmer it's likely to be. We avoid July and August as it's usually too hot for us and we like it quite warm.
We usually go May/June and September.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back