What's so great about motorhoming in France? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Please help me sell the idea of motorhoming in France to my wife! I have travelled widely around the globe so I'm no stranger to travel, whereas my wife is petrified of flying and never been further than Scotland. It took me along time to persuade her to go on the ferry to the Outer Hebrides last year and although she enjoyed being there, I'm sure if she ever went again she'd be reluctant to go on the ferry! With early retirement just over the horizon we'll soon have the time to travel further afield. I think it is just the fear of the unknown which is holding her back.
My only concern is driving on the 'wrong' side of the road for the first time. I've managed thus far in life accident free and that includes 12 year driving a lorry!
What is so wonderful about motorhoming in France, and what should we look out for? 👍

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Firstly, use the tunnel, its easy snd quick. You will be absolutely fine driving on the right too.
France is fabulous from the scenery to the medieval villages, to chateaux to Roman ruins and of course the mountains.
It is so easy to overnight on whatever type of stop you prefer, from wilding to aires to campsites and France Passion.
Just go !

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Wow. Piece of string.

I avoid France because of Macron but it's a wonderful country and has a whole load of magnificent scenery, food, drink, friendly people.

Other that that, don't go there.

Country roads are mostly quiet but you don't make much progress. Motorways can be expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It’s the bakeries, the massive network of Aires and the language for me. That plus the Alpine scenery we always head for.

Driving is a doddle as it isn’t so compact as the UK.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
For the past 14 years I've only toured abroad (apart from half a dozen nights a year to attend specific events in U.K.).
As well as the above to which I'd add delightful food, wine and rivers you'll be welcomed over there rather than merely tolerated over here.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
It’s the bakeries, the massive network of Aires and the language for me. That plus the Alpine scenery we always head for.

Driving is a doddle as it isn’t so compact as the UK.
You're first answer, the bakeries intrigued me as I'm a baker by trade and always check out bakers shops no matter where I go!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Love France so much to see, buy Campercontact book and get the app free love the villages and small towns still finding lovely gems
ps don’t buy the bread on a wet day they cannot make it crusty but the croissants and pastry’s are great

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
For the past 14 years I've only toured abroad (apart from half a dozen nights a year to attend specific events in U.K.).
As well as the above to which I'd add delightful food, wine and rivers you'll be welcomed over there rather than merely tolerated over here.
Where would you recommend to be the ideal area for a short trip to dip our toe in the water to get a taste for the country?

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Just go and experience it and make your own minds up. We have had wonderful travels in France and it’s the gateway to even better European countries 😎. Be brave and dip your toes in. Enjoy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
France is Motorhome heaven once you have been you will be back every year.
So much more relaxing than the UK, like Spriddler only use our van a handful of days in the UK but 120 day plus over the water.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We love Brittany. In some ways it's quite similar to Cornwall so perhaps your wife might like it there! We also like to just travel along the rivers. We tend to use aires most of the time, yes some of them are just carparks but there are some great non-carparks as well. Only word of caution would be not to use the aires on motorways, just the village ones.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
France is Motorhome heaven once you have been you will be back every year.
So much more relaxing than the UK, like Spriddler only use our van a handful of days in the UK but 120 day plus over the water.
I know it would help but do you need to know much of the language to get bye? As I've said I've travelled widely but never been much off the tourist trail so it's never been an issue!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Wow. Piece of string.

I avoid France because of Macron but it's a wonderful country and has a whole load of magnificent scenery, food, drink, friendly people.

Other that that, don't go there.

Country roads are mostly quiet but you don't make much progress. Motorways can be expensive.
It's easier to avoid Macron surely than to avoid France...BUSBY😁😁

Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
Where would you recommend to be the ideal area for a short trip to dip our toe in the water to get a taste for the country?
Take the tunnel and head for Normandy, keep to the coast and enjoy superb views and excellent food. The towns and villages are lovely. Easy travel and a great starter for many years of visits to France. Head for Mont san Michele and enjoy a trip to the D Day landing beaches.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
No. Just try a bit but most speak reasonable English. Take a phrase book and al least have a go.
Think I'll try and learn a bit, I'm sure making an effort would be appreciated, saying that they have trouble here in Wales with my Glasgow accent, they say they understand the Polish better :giggler:

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Take the tunnel and head for Normandy, keep to the coast and enjoy superb views and excellent food. The towns and villages are lovely. Easy travel and a great starter for many years of visits to France. Head for Mont san Michele and enjoy a trip to the D Day landing beaches.
That's been on my to do list for a while thanks;)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Please help me sell the idea of motorhoming in France to my wife! I have travelled widely around the globe so I'm no stranger to travel, whereas my wife is petrified of flying and never been further than Scotland. It took me along time to persuade her to go on the ferry to the Outer Hebrides last year and although she enjoyed being there, I'm sure if she ever went again she'd be reluctant to go on the ferry! With early retirement just over the horizon we'll soon have the time to travel further afield. I think it is just the fear of the unknown which is holding her back.
My only concern is driving on the 'wrong' side of the road for the first time. I've managed thus far in life accident free and that includes 12 year driving a lorry!
What is so wonderful about motorhoming in France, and what should we look out for? 👍
Oh that sounds familiar!!. My own dearly beloved was petrified of flying, although never having actually done it. We got to the point of an ultimatum, of one holiday in the UK. Cornwall, and then me going of abroad solo.
Well, a bit of Dutch courage, a dose of Valium, and trip to Portugal in the Oct of 2010 was undertaken. As she stepped out on the gantry steps, the sky was as blue as a picture, which it stayed like all week. " I've been silly haven't I " she said. We had a brilliant week exploring the Algarve and Alentajo region.
Now, she's scouring the interwebb for bargain flights to everywhere, anywhere, Europe, New Zealand, Asia, America, and she absolutely loves it, with only this bl**dy Covid nuisance ruining her plans.
Be brave, have a go, you might surprise and delight yourself.Nothing ventured nothing gained, and all that.
Mike. Good luck.

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Agree Normandy is a good place to start with the DDay beaches etc, then pretty places such as Honfleur, St Malo, Mont St Michel. Bayeux and its tapestry are very interesting. But then just exploring the pretty little villages (and bakeries!) is great fun too. Off the beaten track you often come across such gems.
On a technical point, MrS reckons the pains aux raisins beat croissants and pains au chocolat hands down ;)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
France is so welcoming to Motorhomes , it is relaxing 😌 no stress where to stay, so many wonderful aires and campsites, and so diverse, you never know what surprises are around the next corner, and the roads are empty compared to uk .

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As Riverbankannie says, use the tunnel, at least until your good lady gets used to the idea of crossing the Channel. Its really very quick and easy and it doesn't matter if the weather is rough or smooth.

Driving in France is a joy!
Compared to the UK the roads are uncrowded, smooth and most towns and many villages are by-passed.
There are loads of picnic places to stop for a break and it really is a pleasure to be driving.........how often can you say that in the UK?
Driving on the right will become second nature after a few km, although you might need a reminder when returning onto the road after a fuel/rest stop or overnight. France loves to build roundabouts, its a national obsession, so you will very quickly get the hang of them.:p

Finding somewhere to spend a night.......or five.
Campsites absolutely everywhere, particularly in popular tourist areas and by the sea. When you're feeling brave there are even more aires at very reasonable prices or even free.
Once you get used to France and are more relaxed you will almost certainly start trying aires. When we started going to France in a moho, after years as tuggers, we only used campsites as that is what we had always done in the UK. Now we hardly ever use sites as we have a network of aires that we love going back to.

Scenery!
France has it all from stunning coasts to mountains, forests, rivers and lovely countryside.
Lovely old villages to wander round and historic cities with their grand buildings and cathedrals.
The population of France is roughly the same as the UK but the country is twice the size so there's plenty of space for everyone. A quiet peaceful corner is never far away.

Have we convinced you yet?????

Just go for it (as soon as this horrid Covid is out of the way) and I can guarantee you won't look back.
Many of us on the forum love France so there's lots of help and advice available.........just ask away.

Richard.
PS. Nothing will persuade Chris 🔼🔼 that anything in France is worth having so you can ignore that comment.:rofl::france:

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Oh that sounds familiar!!. My own dearly beloved was petrified of flying, although never having actually done it. We got to the point of an ultimatum, of one holiday in the UK. Cornwall, and then me going of abroad solo.
Well, a bit of Dutch courage, a dose of Valium, and trip to Portugal in the Oct of 2010 was undertaken. As she stepped out on the gantry steps, the sky was as blue as a picture, which it stayed like all week. " I've been silly haven't I " she said. We had a brilliant week exploring the Algarve and Alentajo region.
Now, she's scouring the interwebb for bargain flights to everywhere, anywhere, Europe, New Zealand, Asia, America, and she absolutely loves it, with only this bl**dy Covid nuisance ruining her plans.
Be brave, have a go, you might surprise and delight yourself.Nothing ventured nothing gained, and all that.
Mike. Good luck.
Thanks Mike, one of the reasons that we bought the Moho was because of my wives phobia. I've flown everywhere I've ever wanted to go to so I'm cool with that. It's almost 20 years since I last was on a plane and it doesn't really bother me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back