90 days in 180 (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I will be in France on the 31st December, my next scheduled trip to the uk is 16th April...... I expect a gallic shrug when i get to the passport control "au revoir à bientôt".

I will be back in France within a month.

You won’t be back in France when they stop you at the border, refuse you entry and turn you around having wasted the ferry or tunnel cost.

The rules will apply to all, not sure why you would think they won’t be bothered, I am quite sure they will enforce it just as much as we will.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
You won’t be back in France when they stop you at the border, refuse you entry and turn you around having wasted the ferry or tunnel cost.

The rules will apply to all, not sure why you would think they won’t be bothered, I am quite sure they will enforce it just as much as we will.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Augusta08 may be resident in France, in which case his plans are perfectly acceptable, surely? Not entirely disadvantageous living here, you know...😉

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
OldC read Gus post carefully - he said 'permanent foreign resident. A person on a tempoary reidence has the right to live in his host country indefinitely, but is limited to 90 days in the rest of Schengen just like non-EU citizens. He can later(usually after 5 years) convert to permanent residence and then aquires the rights as Gus described.

Geoff

it’s late. I might have missed summat however I thought that’s what I said.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
As long as Ms Sturgeon isn’t successful with her Scottish Independence then she rejoins the EU I will be happy that I can still travel throughout Scotland without a passport. Worse could happen, she gets independence and Shetland get it from Scotland and go back in with Denmark, doesn’t bear thinking about 😱

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

Their systems will “enforce it” the same for the Brits as for the Yanks and the Aussies. There’s no special case for us in future.

We just need to adapt to the brave new world. (Or in some of our cases remind ourselves what it was like Pre EU !)

Last edited:

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Unless I'm very much mistaken, Augusta08 may be resident in France, in which case his plans are perfectly acceptable, surely? Not entirely disadvantageous living here, you know...😉
Loved working in France Belgium Holland and Sweden. Only regret is I decided to stay a UK resident. I now miss out My choice, my consequences.

#IfIKnewThenWhatIKnowNow

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
But in different ways. the Uk resident can only have 90/180 in all schengen. The permanent foreign resident with TIE can have 90 days in one eu state then 90 in next door etc; exactly the same as now.
We have residency for Greece which “they“ have said will be automatically converted to non eu member state residency after 31/12/20. In which case we will be able to spend as much time here as we like and use our 90/180 in other eu countries.

Deleted User
Different countries seem to have different approaches to Residency and how it is granted.

I have an EU residency certificate granted in Portugal, it is valid for 5 years after which I can apply for one which lasts a further 10 years, is this permanent?

It is certainly not a 'temporary residence permit' as this only lasts for one year in Portugal.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001

They can't stop me I've a carte de séjour.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So much irony...
Not really, many of our toll roads are run by the French, many buildings and apartments n London are financed by and owned by foreign interests from Asia, Australasia, Russia and the US. It’s being part of the Gloabal economy and much of the UK has been sold off including water and energy companies that are owned by foreign interests. Passport production is just a tiny example.

Deleted User
Not really, many of our toll roads are run by the French, many buildings and apartments n London are financed by and owned by foreign interests from Asia, Australasia, Russia and the US. It’s being part of the Gloabal economy and much of the UK has been sold off including water and energy companies that are owned by foreign interests. Passport production is just a tiny example.

And much of our Railways owned by foreign government owned companies.......so much for de nationalisation:rolleyes:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
And much of our Railways owned by foreign government owned companies.......so much for de nationalisation:rolleyes:
Absolutely and any profits made go to the government of those countries. Privatisation is really not the panacea it is made out to be. There is a case for companies to be nationalised for the national interest, power, water, universal communications etc Many of the organisations served a good social purpose in that more people can be employed which helps local communities. Rather than a cut to the bone zero hour employment imported from the US. So yes I would like to see another type of nationalised program running alongside well run uk owned businesses

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We have residency for Greece which “they“ have said will be automatically converted to non eu member state residency after 31/12/20. In which case we will be able to spend as much time here as we like and use our 90/180 in other eu countries.
Likewise here . All permanent cards will be automatically converted or not quite automatically as website due 1 October will not be up till mid October!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Absolutely and any profits made go to the government of those countries. Privatisation is really not the panacea it is made out to be. There is a case for companies to be nationalised for the national interest, power, water, universal communications etc Many of the organisations served a good social purpose in that more people can be employed which helps local communities. Rather than a cut to the bone zero hour employment imported from the US. So yes I would like to see another type of nationalised program running alongside well run uk owned businesses
When you say served a good social purpose do you mean keeping people in jobs that weren't really needed?. Who's going to pay the current owners to buy back the utilities.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think weve tried that method obviously you wasnt trying to earn a living through the three day week and power cuts

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
When you say served a good social purpose do you mean keeping people in jobs that weren't really needed?. Who's going to pay the current owners to buy back the utilities.
we could lease them back tonny blair loves a good ppi

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My friend used to work for Severn Trent. After privatisation he reconned they managed to lose loads of staff with no effect on their services basically they were sitting in unecessary jobs. Like most things the pendulum probably swung too far the other way over time. The biggest problem in utilities I think is lack of long term planning of supply by politicians all they're really interested in is the next election.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
If only we could all have one. 👍
Yes it would help. my point is that it's way too complicated to unravel. I have a German OAP card, German drivers licence, German pension, pay German Tax. I have a French House, pay French Tax, Pay French Taxe d'habitation. When I left University in 1972 the careers officer said "Go to Europe, it's the future". So I went to Holland, took Dutch residency, paid Dutch Tax, banked at ABN, When I left Holland some years later I moved to Munich, Became a German resident, paid German tax, Banked at the Deutcshe Bank had German Children.
I now live in France, and bank with Credit Agricole.

I speak Dutch, German and French. My Passport says I'm a European Citizen from the United Kingdom.

I am a European Citizen, I'm not alone there's literally thousand if not millions of EU Citizens either in London or Paris or Berlin or Rome, who have equally complex multinational links.

The border passport control will be totally unable to police it, you'd need to be a constitutional lawyer to make any sense of it.

The only half way sensible option is for the EU and HMG to agree no restrictions on travel provided you can prove you are unlikely to become a burden upon the state. ie. do you have an income, somewhere to live, and health insurance, and are not a convicted criminal.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have an EU residency certificate granted in Portugal, it is valid for 5 years after which I can apply for one which lasts a further 10 years, is this permanent?
yes after 5 years under eu rules you are permanent & can only be deported for 3 types of violations of national law,then only for a maximum period of ,I believe 3 years? after 10 years you basically can't be deported.
, you'd need to be a constitutional lawyer to make any sense of it.
you can't disagree with that.

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Have a butchers at this site, good bed time reading.

All as clear as mud and easy to do then, I dont think.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
My Passport says I'm a European Citizen from the United Kingdom.

I am a European Citizen, I'm not alone there's literally thousand if not millions of EU Citizens either in London or Paris or Berlin or Rome, who have equally complex multinational links.

The border passport control will be totally unable to police it, you'd need to be a constitutional lawyer to make any sense of it.

The only half way sensible option is for the EU and HMG to agree no restrictions on travel provided you can prove you are unlikely to become a burden upon the state. ie. do you have an income, somewhere to live, and health insurance, and are not a convicted criminal.

Couldn't agree more....lets hope sense prevails and that this outcome is achieved...

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It serves no one if your paying someone to be idle not the individual or the company. The State can take over a company in the interest of the country if it wishes and pay what it considers fair compensation.

Glad I am at this end of my Career and able to own a MoHo and have great times out and about 👍

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Have a butchers at this site, good bed time reading.

All as clear as mud and easy to do then, I dont think.

Interestingly the link includes

"Am I able to travel within the Schengen Area with the residence permit?
The residence permit allows you to freely travel throughout the whole Schengen Area, without any additional documents needed. The residency permit is stamped in your passport. However, you have to notify the authorities if you intend to make trips in and out of the Schengen space."

There it does not define 'Residence Permit', nor any difference between permits as discussed in several posts above.

I think there is something lacking in that text.

Geoff

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Couldn't agree more....lets hope sense prevails and that this outcome is achieved...
It won't we will not be getting freedom of movement back we could of if we went down the same route as Norway or Switzerland but May ruled that out not wanting an EFTA type arrangement so regardless of "Trade" Negotiations we will be a third-country and abide by those rules.

My New Zealand passport is now more powerful in Europe as agreements from 1951 overrule the 90/180 and can stay in most European countries for 90 days at a time and then move on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back