On and off since 95
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
This isn’t our rule this is Europe’s. It applies to all non-EU Citizens. Our Parliament has no say.
It doesn’t stop the need to negotiate a longer stay which is what the Petition is about.
l don’t recall voting for a 90/180 travel option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
It doesn’t stop the need to negotiate a longer stay which is what the Petition is about.

I suspect there will be higher priorities that get government time ahead of this. Brexit may now be final but it is far from done , there’s a ton of work to be done getting things moving smoothly.

And although the majority voted for this I certainly did not.

I understand democracy, we are on the path chosen by the most voters and I will be behind any efforts to make it work, you won’t find me moaning about European rules and how unfair they are to brits. I will be trying to understand those rules and work within them. They are after all a sovereign group. They have the right to set the rules that suit them as do we.

Dismissing reality doesn’t make it any less real.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

There are a lot of things people will realise they did not vote for including the lorry park being built in Kent which the locals are quite upset about.

No one told us or listed everything that would change and when people were outlining this it was called project fear.

Now we have left Europe we must accept the changes and petitions like this whilst legitimate will probably go nowhere for a while. So we have to get on with what we are left with and create a Different future for ourselves.

Be kind be considerate and above all have fun.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Something else to consider from the French tax man!

Pete

and if you own a second property in the UK you also pay capital gains tax on your profit (aswell as increased stamp duty when you first purchase one)

interestingly though, i wonder if there is a provision in France to transfer a loss to another property - though as very few have more than one property, then perhaps not so interesting. What i am sure of is that those who can afford it, will be helped to find a way of not paying .......

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am struggling to understand the use of the word "reciprocal" in this petition. AFAIK the 90 in 180 applies both ways. If so that is reciprocal. Or have I got that wrong?

In any event, as others have said, the UK no longer has any say in EU rules, so our parliament has no say in this. Better to petition the European parliament not ours, if you want this changed. And good luck with that!

People who live or spend long periods of time in Spain etc had, and I think still have for a little while at least, the opportunity to apply for residency there. As I understand it, that was supposed to be what they should do anyway, even when we were in the EU

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Something else to consider from the French tax man!

Pete

Great story, but it's not quite a black and white as that...

Firstly ... you have to have made a profit on the sale of your second home after allowable expenses have been deducted. The French housing market is not like the UK. You are unlikely to see a massive uptick in the value of your house unless you bought in a real property hot-spot. Most of the Brits I know who bought in France have done so in rural areas. Generally it's pretty good going if you get your money back after 10 or 15 years of ownership.

Secondly ... there is a system of taper relief depending on the length of time you have owned the property. This starts at 6 years and the GCT payable discount level increases annually. After 22 years the relief is 100% so no CGT, for CDS (Nat Insurance if effect) it is 30 years. Details here.

However if you are letting your second home in France for holiday rentals AND your are a UK (are therefore non EU) resident you will notice your CDS rate increase this year. However, if you claim all the reliefs and play by the rules it's not that onerous. As a rule of thumb if you are registered tourism provider you will pay about 10% of gross income to the French tax man for Tax and CDS.

And ... of course as a UK resident, any rental gains or sale profits have to be declared to the UK tax man. You will then be assessed under UK rules for that income and will quite likely find you have more tax to pay in the UK even after the dual taxation treaty has been applied.

You then realise than French tax rates are generally lower but even more so if you are a French tax resident.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
So if I enter France the 90 day clock is ticking. I keep driving and leave the schengen zone does the clock stop until I re-enter (how will they know?)? Often we've been waved through without any exam of a passport . . .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So if I enter France the 90 day clock is ticking. I keep driving and leave the schengen zone does the clock stop until I re-enter (how will they know?)? Often we've been waved through without any exam of a passport . . .
ANPR for starters plus the ferry/ tunnel ticket and I cannot imagine for one moment that at a country’s boarders even if no customs post the cameras will be watching and linking your MoHo to a database.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

If you leave the Schengen area the onus will be on you to prove it. You need to insist on an entrance and exit stamp. Otherwise you'll have a lovely time trying to explain in a language not native to you!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
if you leave the schengen zone, the 180 day clock is still ticking, though the 90 day one might not be if you can get a stamp on your passport to prove it .....

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
As others have said if you are ever stopped in Europe the onus is on the individual to prove where they have been and how long for...so passport stamps or at the very least a purchase receipt for fuel or provisions..

Deleted User
if you leave the schengen zone, the 180 day clock is still ticking, though the 90 day one might not be if you can get a stamp on your passport to prove it .....
Please explain how the 'rolling' 180 day period stops rolling?
Passports will be scanned on entry and exit from the Schengen zone so why the need for stamps?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Please explain how the 'rolling' 180 day period stops rolling?
Passports will be scanned on entry and exit from the Schengen zone so why the need for stamps?
Erm, I didn't say it did ...I said it keeps ticking .... As for scans and stamps, if you get stopped by gendarmes I imagine it would be easier to demonstrate compliance at the scene of the stop rather than suggest they contact border control. But hey, if you don't want to get your passport stamped, then just ask them not too ....
Gendarme -
Monsieur, your passport shows you entered the EU 96 days ago,

Me, yes but it also shows I left the EU for 30 days from .....to...... therefore I have not exceeded 90 days in the EU.

You - well if you contact border control it will show I left the EU for 30 days etc etc ...

I wonder who will be on their way quicker ??

And if the gendarmes don't ask either of us, then neither of us will be delayed.

Deleted User
Erm, I didn't say it did ...I said it keeps ticking .... As for scans and stamps, if you get stopped by gendarmes I imagine it would be easier to demonstrate compliance at the scene of the stop rather than suggest they contact border control. But hey, if you don't want to get your passport stamped, then just ask them not too ....
Gendarme -
Monsieur, your passport shows you entered the EU 96 days ago,

Me, yes but it also shows I left the EU for 30 days from .....to...... therefore I have not exceeded 90 days in the EU.

You - well if you contact border control it will show I left the EU for 30 days etc etc ...

I wonder who will be on their way quicker ??

And if the gendarmes don't ask either of us, then neither of us will be delayed.
Sorry but ticking implies ticking away and the 180 days definitely do not tick away they just keep rolling along :Smile:
I agree with your other comnents re stamps but I care not if my passport is stamped or not.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Sorry but ticking implies ticking away and the 180 days definitely do not tick away they just keep rolling along
If it's not tickin, it's probably turkey ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back