Haggis rescue centre/sanctuary (3 Viewers)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
As some of you may know I am moving to D&G (hopefully) in the near future

As part of my retirement plans I hope to open a haggis sanctuary, maybe opening it to the pubic to visit and view these wee critters.

I have attached an article for anyone who is interested in them

Am also looking for conformation that Haggis will happily live in the southern parts of Scotland as another poster has implied that they will only be found in the highlands?

Thank you

Attachments

• wild haggis hunt.png
    wild haggis hunt.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 205
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I got one in a tin. I keep it on the top shelf so that if perchance it manages to get out the tin, it'll fall off the shelf and break it's neck in the fall.

Don't want the buggers to breed here in Cornwall , look what happened when we let a few emmets in:doh:
:doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
What are you going to feed your veggie haggis. ;)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I have a troop of haglets (young haggis) in the garden..the adult haggis only leave the haglets when feeding. Local cats hate them and run away scerdi cats ? if you have English dna the male haggis will sense this fault and sneak up to you at night time and bite you in the bollacks or vagna
.this can be fatal .they don't do it to tourists we have the midge for them lot ..so be careful very careful if you intend to live with them...you will need a Westi as they are the only dogs brave enough to herd them Don't feed them until its dark .you have been warned???

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Is it true they have one leg longer than the other?
I'm afraid not they have one leg shorter than the other ...
They are both correct, that's why they only breed and survive in the Highlands, as they can only run up and down hills in a clockwise or anticlockwise motion, dependant whether they are short legged on one side or long on the other. They will not survive in the lowlands as they cannot run fast enough. :rofl: :rofl:

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Will you have facility's to rescue both clockwise and anti-clockwise hassis.

I could possibly help out with a couple of clockwise ones if you get over run.

Martin
That’s is what we are aiming for - as you can imagine this is a steep learning curve for us Cheshire born and Cheshire bred folk so we will learn as we go along. Is there just the 2 types then and can they be kept together?

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I have a troop of haglets (young haggis) in the garden..the adult haggis only leave the haglets when feeding. Local cats hate them and run away scerdi cats ? if you have English dna the male haggis will sense this fault and sneak up to you at night time and bite you in the bollacks or vagna
.this can be fatal .they don't do it to tourists we have the midge for them lot ..so be careful very careful if you intend to live with them...you will need a Westi as they are the only dogs brave enough to herd them Don't feed them until its dark .you have been warned???
We have dealt with wild vicious animals before and feel that we will be able to deal with both the unpredictable mozzies and haggis.

The dogs , although shiz Tuz are well trained (funny enough by a Westie) and we would be happy to take on more experienced Westies too

I did not know about not feeding until after dark (a bit like gremlins then) so thank you for that - very useful to know.

Will keep a very close eye on my hubbies bollacks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That’s is what we are aiming for - as you can imagine this is a steep learning curve for us Cheshire born and Cheshire bred folk so we will learn as we go along. Is there just the 2 types then and can they be kept together?
You have to be careful keeping them together as they tend to use the same paths so consequently run into each other which is where the "Snub nosed" haggis comes from, the other problem will be cross breeding which would give you the lowland or by it's common name "short arse" haggis.

Martin

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
They are both correct, that's why they only breed and survive in the Highlands, as they can only run up and down hills in a clockwise or anticlockwise motion, dependant whether they are short legged on one side or long on the other. They will not survive in the lowlands as they cannot run fast enough. :rofl: :rofl:
This is my worry as I have heard this before. Am thinking of building some sort of ramps, sides, hill to make them feel at home obviously both right and left sided for the 2 different types

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
You have to be careful keeping them together as they tend to use the same paths so consequently run into each other which is where the "Snub nosed" haggis comes from, the other problem will be cross breeding which would give you the lowland or by it's common name "short arse" haggis.

Martin
This is some of the local knowledge that is very useful, they are so secretive and there is ,for some strange reason, very little research been carried out on them - thank you very much

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
My boys would have loved to spend time herding Haggis but had to settle for Pigeon fancying. Boy found it in a hedge bottom (all ready deceased) but would not let it go, we got a lot of funny looks on our long walk home

1589652923259.png
1589652986611.png

There both over the rainbow now i'm afraid but what characters they were.

Thank's for the happy thread Rosemary1

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
My boys would have loved to spend time herding Haggis but had to settle for Pigeon fancying. Boy found it in a hedge bottom (all ready deceased) but would not let it go, we got a lot of funny looks on our long walk home

View attachment 388477 View attachment 388478
There both over the rainbow now i'm afraid but what characters they were.

Thank's for the happy thread Rosemary1
Gorgeous - may get a couple for the haggis herding :giggle:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
You obviously haven't done your research, I've lived in D&G for 45 years and have never seen a haggis locally, they live in the Highlands. The clue is in the name.
That's probably because the OPs picture is baby haggis (as above called a haglet). They live in the adults sporran. Fully grown adults have tartan fur and hide in the heather.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I think you should start a crowd funding page to help with such a worthy cause I am sure there are many that would help rescue these fascinating and elusive animals
I hope you will have a campsite so that we can come an volunteer to help..

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
All about stupid chips and a flute playing Irishman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun