The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (6 Viewers)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've never mastered that wood welding technique either so will be interesting to see how you get on. ?
Ignore the butthurt luddittes in here, no matter where you go on the internet there is some old dinosaur looking to moan at something you post. ?

Tut tut! Mr H naughty naughty! a trifle ageist dear boy :doh:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I apologise if my opinion of exposed pop rivets does not agree with your own, I will try to agree with everything you post in future to avoid you getting all morose.
If you can't say anything nice, it's best to say nothing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
1566810082620.jpg
Finished priming the roof yesterday.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
MANGOFORTH This isn't bad value , and modular if you have the room ?
but it is made from non weldable material :) No rivets either AFAIK :)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Just because you have 7.5 tons to play with, doesn't mean you should. I would still be looking to fit lightweight everything in the van or the fuel consumption and power reserve will be attrocious.
The weight of those standard kitchen units would worry me
Also a lighter truck means a bigger beer fridge ?

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
We have got a rough plan for the interior, windows were placed accordingly. And regards to the kitchen, I've been told a certain shop sells old stock at the end of next month, ex demo stock basically reserved for the tradies. I have a man on the lookout. Failing that that link looks perfect!!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Still trying to work out how to weld wood together
I have seen a couple of people using aluminium 2020 extrusions to build their furniture and walls. Looked amazing and cut down on the joinery needed.

If I trip over any I will post for you if you are interested?

Great work so far, loving watching this come together.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just going to put these two here in case they interest you. I don't expect you to watch them all the way through. Just a skip through to see if the idea helps?

I am going to be doing this for my weekender camper conversion. It will allow me to rejig the design easily as I settle in to the smaller vehicle.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your building furniture using ally or plastic corner mouldings you realy dont need much more than the ability to cut a straight edgehttps://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop/wallboards/wallboard-trims-wallboards/16mm-radius-corner-mould/
no welding required as weight isnt a major problem on your build domestic cupboards may well be a better way to go
take a look at my blog below for some pics of building methods

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Just found this thread. What a great plan. I am amazed. Wish I had your talents. I am so looking forward to seeing the finished product.

It is so horrible having to rely on other people to do jobs for you as you just don't know what they have done to your pride and joy. I stupidly left my van with a local company to put solar and inverters in. They also store my vehicle. I feel let down.
Look at this picture for example. This is how my rooftop looks like after solar panels fitted. I don't know if there are holes drilled under this mess. Or whether the mess is just to hold down the cables.
The boss is back today and I just don't know how to approach him, or even what to say to him. Headlight broke whilst there as well.
IMG_0145.jpg

If I had skills I wouldn't trust my pride and joy to these cowboys.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
if your building furniture using ally or plastic corner mouldings you realy dont need much more than the ability to cut a straight edgehttps://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop/wallboards/wallboard-trims-wallboards/16mm-radius-corner-mould/
no welding required as weight isnt a major problem on your build domestic cupboards may well be a better way to go
take a look at my blog below for some pics of building methods
I'm gonna have to start bookmarking these links I think ???

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Just found this thread. What a great plan. I am amazed. Wish I had your talents. I am so looking forward to seeing the finished product.

It is so horrible having to rely on other people to do jobs for you as you just don't know what they have done to your pride and joy. I stupidly left my van with a local company to put solar and inverters in. They also store my vehicle. I feel let down.
Look at this picture for example. This is how my rooftop looks like after solar panels fitted. I don't know if there are holes drilled under this mess. Or whether the mess is just to hold down the cables.
The boss is back today and I just don't know how to approach him, or even what to say to him. Headlight broke whilst there as well.
View attachment 327116

The only way to "get" skills is to start doing it yourself. Every single time i let my guard down ( be lazy) and pay someone else to do something, it is nearly always a half arsed job I could have done better myself. The recent full valet and ceramic coat i had half baked being a fine example. ?
Take your time, research what you have to do, don't skimp out on cheap tools and just get stuck in. No one taught me how to fix cars, diagnose electrics, rewire a house, build a shed, weld steel, roof a building, lay pipes, put up a fence, or wire up a solar system, You just... learn. ????

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

View attachment 327116

That’s dreadful... what a mess. If I were you I’d insist that they do the job properly or refund you. Preferably the latter.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
The only way to "get" skills is to start doing it yourself. Every single time i let my guard down ( be lazy) and pay someone else to do something, it is nearly always a half arsed job I could have done better myself. The recent full valet and ceramic coat i had half baked being a fine example. ?
Take your time, research what you have to do, don't skimp out on cheap tools and just get stuck in. No one taught me how to fix cars, diagnose electrics, rewire a house, build a shed, weld steel, roof a building, lay pipes, put up a fence, or wire up a solar system, You just... learn. ????

Agree with this so much.

I'm quite lucky I guess that I'm trained in cabinet making, electrics and plumbing, but everything else (inc. 12v elecs) I had to learn from asking on places like here and YouTube etc.

This is going to a new level over the Winter.

I have close to zero mechanics knowledge. But I'm sick of shoddy, rip-off work. So, rather than pay a ridiculous amount for a new engine (van blown up), I've bought a few books and plan to firstly learn how to remove my engine, then take it apart, then re-build it. Properly. Daunting definitely, but nothing to lose and if all goes to plan....

In the meantime I'm looking out for a small, cheap van to convert into a weekend warrior. Looking forward to this as never converted a small van :)

Loving this thread :)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
With all the space you are going to have in there a huge walk in shower would be near the top of my list of must haves, some shower are so small in motorhomes.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

View attachment 327116

Those cables should be inside rectangular conduit which is fixed to the roof with sikaflex.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
For an example, as I used mounting these motorised antennas and associated coax.

Attachments

• 20190823_113212.jpg
    20190823_113212.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 193
OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
"if it ain't broke don't fix it" rubbish.... "if it ain't broke, take it apart and look at it, then put it back together again so you know how to fix it when it brakes".... Not quite as catchy though

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
just to lighten this great thread good advice
"if it ain't broke don't fix it" rubbish.... "if it ain't broke, take it apart and look at it, then put it back together again so you know how to fix it when it brakes".... Not quite as catchy though

i started doing that before i went to school dad came home to find me in tears and my tricicyle in bits. He never left his tools where i could reache them till I was more competent.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you putting in any roof vents/windows?

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Are you putting in any roof vents/windows?
Yes, I brought two roof vent things before we started this build. Don't really know alot about them but they are motorhome spec. Not sure I like them as they are made of plastic. They are called Thule Omnivent... Was that a good or bad purchase?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, I brought two roof vent things before we started this build. Don't really know alot about them but they are motorhome spec. Not sure I like them as they are made of plastic. They are called Thule Omnivent... Was that a good or bad purchase?
The best vent I have found was the MaxxFan Vent. It is expensive but so well designed it knocks everything else into a cocked hat.

It has a fan that can work in both directions, Has a motorised opening mechanism for maximum throughflow but also has a low height when down. It also can be operated in heavy rain without risk of rain getting in.

The only downside is that it is expensive. That said after the summer we have just had I will be installing one in my new build and hopefully retrofit one into the caravan when I get it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back