The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Nice job. I assume they're motorised so lay flat whilst travelling. What motors did you use?
Thanks, and yes they do. I have used these this time and on 2 other occasions.
I make up my own stainless steel base plate assemblies comprising a flat plate with 4 off 10mm threaded studs (OTT for the task) flush fitted and a top plate with fixings to match the base of the motor. Then I glue the base with 512 to the roof and this allows me to remove the motor in the event of failure. I also turn up in aluminium a base for the LTE antenna to fit the motor antenna mount element. The WiFi antenna has a different fitting in stainless to hold it to the motor. I get all the parts powder coated before assembly. I have some pictures somewhere???
Michael

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just found this thread. What a great plan. I am amazed. Wish I had your talents. I am so looking forward to seeing the finished product.

It is so horrible having to rely on other people to do jobs for you as you just don't know what they have done to your pride and joy. I stupidly left my van with a local company to put solar and inverters in. They also store my vehicle. I feel let down.
Look at this picture for example. This is how my rooftop looks like after solar panels fitted. I don't know if there are holes drilled under this mess. Or whether the mess is just to hold down the cables.
The boss is back today and I just don't know how to approach him, or even what to say to him. Headlight broke whilst there as well.
View attachment 327116
If I had skills I wouldn't trust my pride and joy to these cowboys.

Tell him that it is horrendous.
Anyone employing someone who thinks that that is acceptable for a professional job needs putting down.
It's a pity I'm not still in Devon as I'd come with you as that absolutely enrages me¡!! It's xxxxing scandalous.
Try lifting the cables by one of the blobs as I cannot believe anyone with even half a brain would use screws.

PS: A review from our very own Wissel
Changed mine this morning. Only tried electric temporary but works well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
....................................... I stupidly left my van with a local company to put solar and inverters in. They also store my vehicle. I feel let down.
Look at this picture for example. This is how my rooftop looks like after solar panels fitted. I don't know if there are holes drilled under this mess. Or whether the mess is just to hold down the cables.

That is appalling!! Having seen that, I would be very suspicious about the general workmanship involved with fitting the Solar Panels and Invertor. I hope you get it all resolved/rectified to your satifaction.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I make up my own stainless steel base plate assemblies comprising a flat plate with 4 off 10mm threaded studs (OTT for the task) flush fitted and a top plate with fixings to match the base of the motor. Then I glue the base with 512 to the roof and this allows me to remove the motor in the event of failure. I also turn up in aluminium a base for the LTE antenna to fit the motor antenna mount element. The WiFi antenna has a different fitting in stainless to hold it to the motor. I get all the parts powder coated before assembly. I have some pictures somewhere???
Michael
A man after my own heart - I just love any job that involves making swarf (y). And wiring. Car window motors can make tidy servos and if you use the control relay for them you don't need limit switches - they turn off on over-current so simple stops are enough. And thanks for the link to yours.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Agree with Gromett on the max fan thingy, nearly every "van lifer" I follow on the tubes of you, raves about the thing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Agree with Gromett on the max fan thingy, nearly every "van lifer" I follow on the tubes of you, raves about the thing.
Two things I dislike. It needs to be screwed to the roof and roof access is needed to remove it. Poor when there's no need for either. The Omnivent works the same and has neither of those problems.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
A man after my own heart - I just love any job that involves making swarf (y). And wiring. Car window motors can make tidy servos and if you use the control relay for them you don't need limit switches - they turn off on over-current so simple stops are enough. And thanks for the link to yours.
Interesting for another application and I shall remember that thanks. In this case I need a serious IP rating to survive up there!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just found this thread. What a great plan. I am amazed. Wish I had your talents. I am so looking forward to seeing the finished product.

It is so horrible having to rely on other people to do jobs for you as you just don't know what they have done to your pride and joy. I stupidly left my van with a local company to put solar and inverters in. They also store my vehicle. I feel let down.
The boss is back today and I just don't know how to approach him, or even what to say to him. Headlight broke whilst there as well.
View attachment 327116

If I had skills I wouldn't trust my pride and joy to these cowboys.
Keep us informed what they say.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, I brought two roof vent things before we started this build. Don't really know alot about them but they are motorhome spec. Not sure I like them as they are made of plastic. They are called Thule Omnivent... Was that a good or bad purchase?
A lot of MHs have them so yes they are more than adequate for your needs, you can splash out on the one that Grom has mentioned but he full-times so I can understand him wanting something so he doesn't have to get off his bum to open and close it as he'll use it more than most! :D

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
View attachment 327038And today's hard work involved this and nothing else. We felt guilty for 5 minutes then enjoyed an amazing quiet beach!!
When you've finished MANGOFORTH, you can have as many days like this as you can afford and hope it's many.
Phil

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Michael
It's true and I used one after Michael recommended it. A full 45 degrees rotation in 3 seconds and mine lifts a 1m omni-directional Wi-Fi pole antenna; they're powerful and waterproof too. The only down-side is that they are noisy.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Doing a great job MANGOFORTH, nothing wrong with exposed rivets ? been around them most of my life (y)
1567375625506.png

DSCF0210.JPG

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
That is an absolute disgrace! Can you get a male family member or friend to go with you, or maybe someone on here who lives in Devon could help you. I feel for you.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
No side lockers ? ?
I want bins for everything down the side of mine ?
I'll put some storage underneath. But from seeing other people's trucks/campers/houses. It apparent that I do not have alot of stuff. Excluding my tools, I could fit a lifes worth of stuff in my car!! I don't understand how people full that much storage ??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have plenty room in our converted ambulance for everything we need for at least a month off sites, just can't make out what folks need all the room for.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What will the weight be when you’ve finished?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
But they're nice for the dirty stuff i.e. ramps, steps, water hoses etc.

Question, what are you going to do about accessing that door from outside?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back