The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (6 Viewers)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
So do you sikaflex under the joining strips before riveting or is the epoxy supposed to be the barrier here?

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
So do you sikaflex under the joining strips before riveting or is the epoxy supposed to be the barrier here?
Yeah PU sealent adhesive under all the strips, mainly to stop any potential water ingress around the rivets (capping just hides the edges of panels, most trucks use folded edges and glue them.... But rivets look cool and that is all there is to it) . But was water tight without any capping on. Once epoxy is all on it will be even more water tight ?. Then it will be all painted in 2k bedliner. So might end up being a submarine

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
That's because this is as far as I've got, the riveting has taken ages. Father in law did the painting...im still drilling holes, 1 box of 500 rivets left ? my fault for not doing things normally ?
I know the feeling , I am still drilling them out , only put a few in so far , bag of 100 doesn't go far :(

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
Keep going. The positive comments greatly outweigh the negatives.
And in my case slight envy at your ability.

MANGOFORTH
Agreed. You only have to look at the number of people who have viewed the thread and the vast number of likes you have received to see how popular this/you are. Keep going, the vast majority love a thread like this, and I suspect sallylillian may have been ironic rather than critical (y)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I've never mastered that wood welding technique either so will be interesting to see how you get on. ?
Ignore the butthurt luddittes in here, no matter where you go on the internet there is some old dinosaur looking to moan at something you post. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Do you have an idea for the interior layout yet? Could be worth putting up a fag packet sketch (with DIMs if you have them), there are bound to be good ideas amongst the hive mind for using pre-made stuff to cut down on bespoke cabinet making requirements ;-)

Oh....and glue....lots and lots of glue :)
Jim

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
We all have our skill sets. Once the metal work is complete, I will very much be scratching my head ?. Still trying to work out how to weld wood together ?

Don’t worry, you will have funsters such as Silver-Fox along soon to advise. (Other top class chippies are available ?)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I apologise if my opinion of exposed pop rivets does not agree with your own, I will try to agree with everything you post in future to avoid you getting all morose.
Oh get off your high horse ?.
Sounds like just jealousy that someone may be able to build a similarly large MH at half the price you paid for yours.
If you don't like it you don't have to read it and post in the tone you have been.
This forum is about caring, sharing and inclusivity. If the thread isn't your cup of tea... move on to another.

And at the risk of this thread going even further off topic, this is going to be my only input...
Back to the pics please Mango ????

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
coolnsmart-22516.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I suggest a look at David Wissel thread about the conversions he has finished for people over the last few weeks. masses of ideas and high quality finish

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I suggest a look at David Wissel thread about the conversions he has finished for people over the last few weeks. masses of ideas and high quality finish

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
One thing I'm thinking for mine is a bedroom shower and bathroom, separated by a door or some other barrier to the rest of the hab area to make winter heating cheaper. At night you only really need to be able to get up and get washed/ dressed in the warm, so don't have to heat the entire van overnight. Once dressed you only need a minimal amount of heat for the rest of the van
I think.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Oh get off your high horse ?.
Sounds like just jealousy that someone may be able to build a similarly large MH at half the price you paid for yours.
If you don't like it you don't have to read it and post in the tone you have been.
This forum is about caring, sharing and inclusivity. If the thread isn't your cup of tea... move on to another.

And at the risk of this thread going even further off topic, this is going to be my only input...
Back to the pics please Mango ????
I did not realise that exposed pop rivets had so much of a following. I have also been criticised for giving my opinion on modern art by a bunch of art students, not with quite the same venom however.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
come on guys, dont spoil a great thread with squabbling over nothing. Some are getting close to breaching rule 1, so would hate to see it get worse and Jim have to step in

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back