My motorhome plan /comments or suggestions would be appreciated (1 Viewer)

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok hi everyone. I am a single 51 year lady who wishes to change her life style. Just sorting out my home to put on market, my plan being to live in motorhome fulltime. I work full time and will retire in just over 8 years. I plan to park the van in the week at a campsite across the road from my work (they have workers pitchers for £240 per month plus electric) the site appears lovely although the workers pitches are on gravel with no green so basically parking in a carpark. I then intend to travel at weekends until I go full time touring when I retire. No experience of campervans to date. Was thinking of spending c £50k as it will be my full time home, starting looking I think bunk beds at rear best idea as I would use top bunk for storage, seen a hymer 524 I think it was that looked good, want a garage space at back as well any thoughts.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Look at a lot of vans, play in them, pretend you are going through your daily routines. I thought bunks would work for us, but actually they felt very cramped and you couldn’t sit up in bed at all. Borrow, hire or beg to look and vans and listen with open ears to their owners when they talk about their foibles (the vans foibles. Not the owners). Are people looking for vans allowed to come on rallies? If there is one local to you, you’d gain an awful lot for going and bending everyone’s ears!

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having fulltimed for 10 years I am making a big change. I was going to go for a big 7.5T truck and convert that. However it turns out I wouldn't be welcome at quite a few places I love going.

What I am doing now is buying caravan as a base, and converting a small Vauxhall Vivaro as a weekend/camping van. This means my main transport will be smaller than it currently is and I can get away without making too many plans. But I also have the large space and storage of a caravan with a fixed bed for winters and for when I am working and not wanting to travel each week.

This might be worth considering? Get a relatively cheap caravan, and then buy a cheap(ish) panel van to convert... You then have the best of both worlds. It also means that if one is out of action you still have the other.

I was always concerned about having an accident in my van as it would mean I would lose my home as well. However, with a caravan and a van I have the caravan as a backup. Of course the risk is there when I am moving the caravan. But I don't intend to move the caravan more than 12 or so times a year.

Just a thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ok hi everyone. I am a single 51 year lady who wishes to change her life style. Just sorting out my home to put on market, my plan being to live in motorhome fulltime. I work full time and will retire in just over 8 years. I plan to park the van in the week at a campsite across the road from my work (they have workers pitchers for £240 per month plus electric) the site appears lovely although the workers pitches are on gravel with no green so basically parking in a carpark. I then intend to travel at weekends until I go full time touring when I retire. No experience of campervans to date. Was thinking of spending c £50k as it will be my full time home, starting looking I think bunk beds at rear best idea as I would use top bunk for storage, seen a hymer 524 I think it was that looked good, want a garage space at back as well any thoughts.

Wow .. sounds like a plan. Am envious ... Not bad 'camping charges' either.

Hope it all goes well for you. Please keep us updated.

(Lots of solo travellers on here.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Again thank you for the further comments, good point re headroom I'm bunk bed, started small jobs that need doing on house this weekend prior to putting on market, got quite a bit done so pleased, seen a site offering hire of motorhome in November for c£400 for a medium (no idea what size this means but I want to get the biggest van I can manage) hopefully I will do this to give me experience, continue to watch lots of utube hoping to find full time solo female in UK but only gone across USA ones, wildax solaris tour of a v a n conversion interesting but are these too small, will check out at nec October, will continue to pop to my local motorhome dealer to get ideas and 2 miles away

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Again thank you for the further comments, good point re headroom I'm bunk bed, started small jobs that need doing on house this weekend prior to putting on market, got quite a bit done so pleased, seen a site offering hire of motorhome in November for c£400 for a medium (no idea what size this means but I want to get the biggest van I can manage) hopefully I will do this to give me experience, continue to watch lots of utube hoping to find full time solo female in UK but only gone across USA ones, wildax solaris tour of a v a n conversion interesting but are these too small, will check out at nec October, will continue to pop to my local motorhome dealer to get ideas and 2 miles away

Can't advise on solo female youtubers. Tend not to watch them as they don't do the techie stuff :p

maz on here was a solo female fulltimer. I know there are others but can't think of them off the top of my head.

Casey Roman is worth watching though. She does some really interesting videos.
But she is the only standout youtuber who doesn't rely on looks for views that I have ended up subscribing to.
Her semi self build process was interesting.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Lancslass1967 and welcome to the Fun! :welcomesign:

Karl’s post alerted me to your thread - from the title I thought it was to do with self-builds. :doh:

I started out as a solo fulltimer in 2011, and am still fulltiming - tho’ now with a partner for the past few years.

Lots of sound advice you’ve been given already, and I would also suggest giving bunk beds a miss.

One of your questions that doesn’t seem to have been answered was the cost for ‘proper’ full time insurance. As a ball park figure it will be around 2-3 times as much as if you weren’t fulltiming. Also the premium will be based on the postcode you give as your correspondence address - so choose a ‘nice’ area if you can.

I don’t know if you are concerned about maximum length of motorhome but IMO the best layout ever for solo fulltiming is the Hobby Toskana 750 FLC - the one with the French bed. Brilliant internal storage and payload. My first van had a garage but I much prefer the easily accessible storage of the Hobby. Tho’ that could be a minority view. :wink:

Anyway, good luck with your search for a van. Would also suggest going for a secondhand van - for which the outdoor shows like Lincoln are very useful for playing around in a large number of vans in one place. Probably more use to you than the NEC.

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
personally i would buy a caravan to live in on the site, more space for less money and after 8 years you can almost throw it away
gives you longer to decide what motorhome you will need whilst learning the fulltiming way

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's hard to beat a "Luton" over cab bed MH for efficiency. A big bed always made up not taking up any living room space. As long as you can climb a ladder a real winner.
Thank you maz, had a look at that van and layout looks good but unsure about ladders to bed
Hi Lancslass1967 and welcome to the Fun! :welcomesign:

Karl’s post alerted me to your thread - from the title I thought it was to do with self-builds. :doh:

I started out as a solo fulltimer in 2011, and am still fulltiming - tho’ now with a partner for the past few years.

Lots of sound advice you’ve been given already, and I would also suggest giving bunk beds a miss.

One of your questions that doesn’t seem to have been answered was the cost for ‘proper’ full time insurance. As a ball park figure it will be around 2-3 times as much as if you weren’t fulltiming. Also the premium will be based on the postcode you give as your correspondence address - so choose a ‘nice’ area if you can.

I don’t know if you are concerned about maximum length of motorhome but IMO the best layout ever for solo fulltiming is the Hobby Toskana 750 FLC - the one with the French bed. Brilliant internal storage and payload. My first van had a garage but I much prefer the easily accessible storage of the Hobby. Tho’ that could be a minority view. :wink:

Anyway, good luck with your search for a van. Would also suggest going for a secondhand van - for which the outdoor shows like Lincoln are very useful for playing around in a large number of vans in one place. Probably more use to you than the NEC.
Thank you maz, had a look at van suggestion which looks great although I am retisent about ladder to bed with trips yo loo at night, will bear in mind Lincoln show had some interest in my house #excited

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thank you maz, had a look at that van and layout looks good but unsure about ladders to bed

Thank you maz, had a look at van suggestion which looks great although I am retisent about ladder to bed with trips yo loo at night, will bear in mind Lincoln show had some interest in my house #excited
No ladders to bed in a Hobby Toskana 750FLC. There’s a French bed at the back and the lounge seating will convert to another double bed if you need it - but that’s rather convoluted so would suggest only for occasional use. The Hobby 750s come in a number of layouts so it sounds like you’ve found one of the versions with a drop down bed - IMO not a good variation.

Take a look at the old ad for the one I used to have:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/2012-hobby-toskana-d-750-flc-automatic.158532/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
No ladders to bed in a Hobby Toskana 750FLC. There’s a French bed at the back and the lounge seating will convert to another double bed if you need it - but that’s rather convoluted so would suggest only for occasional use. The Hobby 750s come in a number of layouts so it sounds like you’ve found one of the versions with a drop down bed - IMO not a good variation.

Take a look at the old ad for the one I used to have:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/2012-hobby-toskana-d-750-flc-automatic.158532/
Thanks maz, that looks really nice. Ps I. Haying island for a weeks holiday at warner next month

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would suggest spending far, far less than £50,000 on your very first van as you are almost certain to want different things after using it for sometime.

£30,000 would give you a great choice of good vans and you would have £20,000 left to spend on burgers and pies...

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp

I used to work for this UK Concessionaire Company based in Congleton Cheshire for PLA and Giottiline Italian Designed and Built Motorhomes as Ian The General Manager.
They have around THIRTY 2018 and 2019 Motorhomes either for sale or rent.
All Boxer Cab RHD . There is Limited Parking outside on Worral Street but an Aldi is just around the corner or a leisure centre 25 Yards up the road.
These Motorhomes have large garages, drop down beds,Awnings, Gaslow, Truma heating etc
Mid price ranges of say 40K to 75K. Well worth a look.
Lisa and sarah 'man' the phones are are genuinely nice and friendly.
Not as expensive as Hymers etc but they are very popular with the general public and the hire side is usually fully booked. The hire vans have a full inventory of camper stuff inside.
Some vans are for hire some are just for sale.
The owner Malcolm also has a scenic campsite next door to His house about 1/2 a mile away near a Garden Centre and Golf Club.
Great vans, fairly priced, try before you buy.

Upvote 0

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
We're not full timer's.. yet!

My parents bought a motorhome and we looked on for several years while they toured Europe and Morroco. We got more excited every year watching them travel but Karen was convinced their van was too big for us. They have a Hobby 750 tag axle (six wheels).

We looked at motorhomes for 4 years trying to find something to suit us before we reluctantly agreed the best motorhome for us was the Hobby 750

Yep, it's a bit huge. It's difficult to get around very tiny country lanes. Campsites are very warey of the Hobby brand (you can't get a booking at flamingo world) they think you're gypsies, which is a compliment in itself as they buy vans to live in and be robust.

Our van acts as a mobile home. Once we park it, it doesn't move. We use bikes and public transport.

BUT....it has a fixed double bed. Large payload. Proper full lounge seats. A pull out table. Fully winterised. A huge garage. Full bathroom etc etc.. but it's a beast to move.

My friend has a VW caravell. We camp together often. He hasn't got a toilet or a shower. He hasn't got a proper fridge or a gas oven. He needs EHU. He packs everything for his family in the van then has to unpack on site.

Guess what, we go for days out in his van then come back and spend the evenings in our van where the kids watch telly and we lounge up front enjoying a glass of something grapey :)

Horses for courses.

You really need to think long and hard about what you 'think' you want and what you need. No van is' wrong' for the right person.

I would definitely go to Dusseldorf this year. It's the largest motorhome show in Europe and I'll be there with our eldest lad who's looking to buy one of those camper pod things!! :) :)

If you see me, say hello and we can have a chat.

Dave.

And our 8 meter beast..

IMG_20190323_153917.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would suggest spending far, far less than £50,000 on your very first van as you are almost certain to want different things after using it for sometime.

£30,000 would give you a great choice of good vans and you would have £20,000 left to spend on burgers and pies...

Thanks jj I am coming u I same conclusion as seems I will want to change it at some stage , Main issue I need to consider is payload, I need to hold all my stuff (it will be paired back to minimum) but I don't really understand it yet, need to read up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie

I used to work for this UK Concessionaire Company based in Congleton Cheshire for PLA and Giottiline Italian Designed and Built Motorhomes as Ian The General Manager.
They have around THIRTY 2018 and 2019 Motorhomes either for sale or rent.
All Boxer Cab RHD . There is Limited Parking outside on Worral Street but an Aldi is just around the corner or a leisure centre 25 Yards up the road.
These Motorhomes have large garages, drop down beds,Awnings, Gaslow, Truma heating etc
Mid price ranges of say 40K to 75K. Well worth a look.
Lisa and sarah 'man' the phones are are genuinely nice and friendly.
Not as expensive as Hymers etc but they are very popular with the general public and the hire side is usually fully booked. The hire vans have a full inventory of camper stuff inside.
Some vans are for hire some are just for sale.
The owner Malcolm also has a scenic campsite next door to His house about 1/2 a mile away near a Garden Centre and Golf Club.
Great vans, fairly priced, try before you buy.
Thank you machzoneman, will definately look this up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're not full timer's.. yet!

My parents bought a motorhome and we looked on for several years while they toured Europe and Morroco. We got more excited every year watching them travel but Karen was convinced their van was too big for us. They have a Hobby 750 tag axle (six wheels).

We looked at motorhomes for 4 years trying to find something to suit us before we reluctantly agreed the best motorhome for us was the Hobby 750

Yep, it's a bit huge. It's difficult to get around very tiny country lanes. Campsites are very warey of the Hobby brand (you can't get a booking at flamingo world) they think you're gypsies, which is a compliment in itself as they buy vans to live in and be robust.

Our van acts as a mobile home. Once we park it, it doesn't move. We use bikes and public transport.

BUT....it has a fixed double bed. Large payload. Proper full lounge seats. A pull out table. Fully winterised. A huge garage. Full bathroom etc etc.. but it's a beast to move.

My friend has a VW caravell. We camp together often. He hasn't got a toilet or a shower. He hasn't got a proper fridge or a gas oven. He needs EHU. He packs everything for his family in the van then has to unpack on site.

Guess what, we go for days out in his van then come back and spend the evenings in our van where the kids watch telly and we lounge up front enjoying a glass of something grapey :)

Horses for courses.

You really need to think long and hard about what you 'think' you want and what you need. No van is' wrong' for the right person.

I would definitely go to Dusseldorf this year. It's the largest motorhome show in Europe and I'll be there with our eldest lad who's looking to buy one of those camper pod things!! :) :)

If you see me, say hello and we can have a chat.

Dave.

And our 8 meter beast..

View attachment 320022
Thanks Dave, wow looks wonderful thanks for the advise appreciated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie

Don't understand the burgers and pies comment?

Upvote 0

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Thanks Dave, wow looks wonderful thanks for the advise appreciated
Hi again Lanclass,

I've been having a bit of a think today and may have an Idea for you to get some truly independent advice and also a good look around lots of different motorhomes from the people that actually use them without any pressure from salesmen.

Have you thought about renting a motorhome for a long weekend and attending a Motorhome Fun rally?

You'll get an idea what it's like to drive and live in a van. It's a bit different to those lovely brochures the dealer's give you!

You'll meet loads of people who full time, part time and weekend users. They'll happily tell you all the positives (and negatives!) of their vans. They'll tell you how they use their vans and what they wish they had or had done differently.

SwiftGo rent brand new vans -

Have a look in the 'rally' topic section for upcoming rallies.

I'm with JJ, I wouldn't spend 50k on my first van. It's a lot of money to spend. You may absolutely hate vanning. It's not for everyone and they can be difficult to sell if you buy the wrong model.

To give you an idea, I bought mine for 15k nearly 8 years ago. I've done some pretty major upgrades which have probably added another 7k to the price, but they were essential to using the van the way we wanted to use it. No van you buy will ever be perfect. It will always need some things that will make it easier for YOU.

And then there's the maintenance......!

I'm not trying to put you off. It's an amazing way of life and we can't wait until we're able to start vanning and travelling. Our plan is to tour Europe (and beyond) for 6 months every year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi again Lanclass,

I've been having a bit of a think today and may have an Idea for you to get some truly independent advice and also a good look around lots of different motorhomes from the people that actually use them without any pressure from salesmen.

Have you thought about renting a motorhome for a long weekend and attending a Motorhome Fun rally?

You'll get an idea what it's like to drive and live in a van. It's a bit different to those lovely brochures the dealer's give you!

You'll meet loads of people who full time, part time and weekend users. They'll happily tell you all the positives (and negatives!) of their vans. They'll tell you how they use their vans and what they wish they had or had done differently.

SwiftGo rent brand new vans -

Have a look in the 'rally' topic section for upcoming rallies.

I'm with JJ, I wouldn't spend 50k on my first van. It's a lot of money to spend. You may absolutely hate vanning. It's not for everyone and they can be difficult to sell if you buy the wrong model.

To give you an idea, I bought mine for 15k nearly 8 years ago. I've done some pretty major upgrades which have probably added another 7k to the price, but they were essential to using the van the way we wanted to use it. No van you buy will ever be perfect. It will always need some things that will make it easier for YOU.

And then there's the maintenance......!

I'm not trying to put you off. It's an amazing way of life and we can't wait until we're able to start vanning and travelling. Our plan is to tour Europe (and beyond) for 6 months every year.
Thab
Thanks motorhome dude spot on idea, already looking into renting a motorhome, have found a Manchester based one offering £80 for 4 nights in november for medium motorhome, sounds too good to be true but will invest if as further my issue at present is I have 2 more holidays, just back! Booked for this year one in August one Sept and very little hols left this year, will look into rallys and see if I can fit another break in assuming I can rent at reasonable cost (as sole traveler wouldn't pay £750 for a week which was initial quote on swift site, good value for 4 people not fir one)

Upvote 0

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Thab
Thanks motorhome dude spot on idea, already looking into renting a motorhome, have found a Manchester based one offering £80 for 4 nights in november for medium motorhome, sounds too good to be true but will invest if as further my issue at present is I have 2 more holidays, just back! Booked for this year one in August one Sept and very little hols left this year, will look into rallys and see if I can fit another break in assuming I can rent at reasonable cost (as sole traveler wouldn't pay £750 for a week which was initial quote on swift site, good value for 4 people not fir one)
I know it's not cheap renting motorhomes but you're thinking about investing £50,000 in it.....fifty THOUSAND pounds.

I was incredibly lucky to be able to use my parents motorhome for a couple of long weekends before we took the plunge and bought one. I really think you need to try it before you commit so much money.

I'm sure other members will be along with better places to rent vans and better prices.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't understand the burgers and pies comment?

Burgers and pies are what I spend my spare money on!

When you have a chance to get to know more about the different characters on Motorhome Fun you will notice I am always having fun poked at me for my stack of Fray Bentos pies... (great for motor homing as they keep for ages without the need of a fridge) and my love of Burger King Double Whoppers and Burger Ranch (Portuguese) Geant Burgers... yummy yummy yummy...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back