LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I definitely agree. The Mecca for these machines @TheAleMan is the Dusseldorf show but its not until September sadly.

If you fancy a trip to Germany 3 of the main ones including Morelo are at Schusselfeld and N&B only a few hours up the road(closer) at Polch. Or you can go to Southdowns at Portsmouth, Travelworld at Stafford or Premium at Doncaster but of course check what they have in first.

Correct Jon but Dusseldorf isn't the only show, you know we are not long back from Stuttgart show and there are others on the calendar with Essen starting in just 10 days ,https://www.die-urlaubswelt.de/reise-camping/ the best plan for anybody wanting a look at all the top flight vans in one place might be to contact each factory and ask what they are taking as indeed the range on show will be a lot less than Dusseldorf or even Stuttgart, once you are over the water of course it will not be too far to visit as Jon suggests, Concorde Phoenix and Morelo are within a few miles of each other but don't expect a showroom at Phoenix, N+B have a nice showroom and there is a big Concorde dealer just over the road.

Martin

OP
OP
TheAleMan
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Lovely vans they certainly are, have you seen any more of the high end A class vans?
Phoenix, Concorde, Variomobile, Niesmann, because its such a lot of money I would definitely do a Germany trip before committing to look at all the others.

I was wowed by Vario, Phoenix are top quality, Concorde nice vans too. Flairs are lovely.

Hi CazPaul. To answer your question..No, not yet, not in the flesh anyway. I have done an awful lot of research online though, mostly Concorde vans and the Niesmann & Bischoff Flair. All very stunning van's in their own right, and very worthy of a visit or two from us.

OP
OP
TheAleMan
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Ah, thanks, Steve.

It was our pleasure to meet you both and that's partly why it like it here; my first interaction with a Member; face to face. We enjoyed having you both here and I look forward to seeing how you progress, either with a Morelo or another "bus" (as I call it).

While Steve was here I kept thinking about how nice it would have been for us to have had such a tour of a Morelo when we were exploring our options before the pilgrimage to the factory, Steve had done his homework, he even bought it with him! (y)

I laughed to myself when I opened a locker to find a clutch of cold beers hiding in there and passed one to Steve saying "it's rude not to, isn't it?" (and with a moniker like his, it just had to be done)! I think it was his first non-real ale, man!

It goes to show, it's not about the vehicles or all the things you (I) can find to fill them up with. As always, it's about the people; and Steve and Karen were great guests and welcome back here anytime.

Thank you very much for that Peter, nice of you to say that. Cheers. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheAleMan
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I definitely agree. The Mecca for these machines @TheAleMan is the Dusseldorf show but its not until September sadly.

If you fancy a trip to Germany 3 of the main ones including Morelo are at Schusselfeld and N&B only a few hours up the road(closer) at Polch. Or you can go to Southdowns at Portsmouth, Travelworld at Stafford or Premium at Doncaster but of course check what they have in first.

Thank you Broken Link Removed

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I looked at them at the NEC and thought at that price they would have been better.
Personally I would go for a Frankia. Had one for around 9 years no issues with build quality

We almost bought a Frankia before going with our RS and I visited the Frankia dealer in Germany after Dusseldorf show. Frankia do have some very clever design features and are well thought out but if you have the money to spend then would be hard to compare the Morleo and the Frankia - different worlds (especially in terms of price although I think I did spec up the Frankia to well over €125,000 and that was 7 years ago).

Before I was retired I had this bad habit of working out how many nights we had spent in the van divided into the cost of the Elysian. No matter how hard you try (unless you are talking a number of full time years), you will never get it down to the cost of staying in a hotel per night, not even close.

Then I realised it wasn't a fair comparison. I hate hotels, I like to have my own stuff and home comforts - it's a second home, not a hotel.

The choice of a Frankia over a Morelo or an RS would be a financial decision, rather than from the heart I think.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting in what way?
I think you should look at a van and get a first impression before you actually look at the price, if you are expecting twice as much of whatever for twice the price you are going to be disappointed.

For me the Frankia limits it's market only building on the Sprinter and Fiat chassis, I don't need FWD so Fiat out and Mercedes just don't stack up against IVECO in my opinion, short on payload to start with, OK 1000kg ish but that can soon be used up and the chassis is going to be on it's max all the time.

Martin

EDIT Unless somebody knows an IVECO model but I can't find.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think you should look at a van and get a first impression before you actually look at the price, if you are expecting twice as much of whatever for twice the price you are going to be disappointed.

For me the Frankia limits it's market only building on the Sprinter and Fiat chassis, I don't need FWD so Fiat out and Mercedes just don't stack up against IVECO in my opinion, short on payload to start with, OK 1000kg ish but that can soon be used up and the chassis is going to be on it's max all the time.

Martin

I have too say I love our Iveco running gear, pzrticlulary the 8 seed automatic gearbox (we had the 6 speed in our first one which was, shall we say, agricultural in nature) - I think it ism the same 8 speed as in the Range Rover - whatever it is, it is as smooth as anything.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Yep, I have the same 8 speed ZF in my Range Rover Sport and it's wonderful in there; a little different in the Iveco but, sure-footed all the time and never makes a wrong move. It can be strange going downhill as it drops the gears quite harshly to slow down using the transmission in the Morelo.

I have to admit, I don't even know how to put it into the manual gear select mode - when I did try, I actually selected neutral on a motorway in France (and pooped my pants as I lost all power)!

The worst thing is reaching for the non-existent flappy-paddles in the Morelo out of habit as I use them all the time in the RRS. I simply couldn't imagine messing around with a clutch and manual transmission in it (but that doesn't mean to say that others are wrong by choosing manual transmission); it's just not for me in a vehicle of this nature.

Now there's a thing Morelo; flappy paddles with the detachable steering wheel; engineering challenge set. I did think if there might be a way of doing it on mine as I'm pretty sure the gearbox has the capability but it's just not used (and it should be).

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yep, I have the same 8 speed ZF in my Range Rover Sport and it's wonderful in there; a little different in the Iveco but, sure-footed all the time and never makes a wrong move. It can be strange going downhill as it drops the gears quite harshly to slow down using the transmission in the Morelo.

Yes, you are right about the drop down in gears going downhill - it really likes to use the engine braking - I just pop the stick to manual if I am not happy with the down hill gear selection. Seems to do it particularly if you tap the brake going down hill - makes it think you want a lower gear :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I have to admit, I don't even know how to put it into the manual gear select mode - when I did try, I actually selected neutral on a motorway in France (and pooped my pants as I lost all power)!

The worst thing is reaching for the non-existent flappy-paddles in the Morelo out of habit as I use them all the time in the RRS. I simply couldn't imagine messing around with a clutch and manual transmission in it (but that doesn't mean to say that others are wrong by choosing manual transmission); it's just not for me in a vehicle of this nature.

Now there's a thing Morelo; flappy paddles with the detachable steering wheel; engineering challenge set. I did think if there might be a way of doing it on mine as I'm pretty sure the gearbox has the capability but it's just not used (and it should be).
we have a Smart Roadster Brabus edition with paddles and I use them all the time, we have a 3 litre BMW with I believe the same ZF box as your RRS and I never use them as the box seems too good to need me messing with it.

I have heard other people comment about the ZF in the Daily dropping gears to decend and that it can be a bit brutal at times, I think that adding a Telma retarder to the spec tames this a bit as they reprogram the ECU to suit.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have too say I love our Iveco running gear, pzrticlulary the 8 seed automatic gearbox (we had the 6 speed in our first one which was, shall we say, agricultural in nature) - I think it ism the same 8 speed as in the Range Rover - whatever it is, it is as smooth as anything.
Do you go for "full air" or just the rear axle?

Martin

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Never heard of a Telma retarder, just looked it up - interesting but it doesn't bother me enough to think I need to fit one - knock it into manual is so easy and only needed on a long descent

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Only had rear air on the last two, full air on the new one. I am looking forward to full air as it can be quite harsh hitting a bump in the road on the front at speed.
Interesting, I thought that Full would be pretty universal on top level vans but talking to Morelo they don't recommend it on a van less than 9 metres likewise I had a similar conversation with a Concorde dealer when we drove a Charisma with only rear axle and yes you could feel the potholes.

Will be interested in the comparison when the new one arrives.

Martin

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting, I thought that Full would be pretty universal on top level vans but talking to Morelo they don't recommend it on a van less than 9 metres likewise I had a similar conversation with a Concorde dealer when we drove a Charisma with only rear axle and yes you could feel the potholes.

Martin
Full air is an extra on the RS Elysian, rear air is standard. Having done the USA trip (15,500 miles) with rear air only I could not believe e how poor their roads were, particularly the entry and exit to any bridge on the freeway. Literally was quite a BANG going over them which I had never noticed to that extent over here. I too will be interested in the comparison - hoping it will be much better

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I love having full air and it was on my "essentials' list. I'm so pleased I did too as even with it, some big bumps take a little from my soul every time!

I have an annoying "beep" from the hand-held remote that sounds for 30- 40 seconds each time I pull away from the lights though, not always but often enough to annoy the hell out of me; it's on my "dealer to look at" list just before my warranty runs out.

I have looked at AvtiveAir upgrade but at £5k it seems rather steep (but it may still get done)!! :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I love having full air and it was on my "essentials' list. I'm so pleased I did too as even with it, some big bumps take a little from my soul every time!

I have an annoying "beep" from the hand-held remote that sounds for 30- 40 seconds each time I pull away from the lights though, not always but often enough to annoy the hell out of me; it's on my "dealer to look at" list just before my warranty runs out.

I have looked at AvtiveAir upgrade but at £5k it seems rather steep (but it may still get done)!! :D
So you are over the magic 9.0 metres Peter, I drove a sub 8 metre Loft without front air and it rode a dream but there again the roads around Schlusselfeld/Aschbach are pretty good and the van was empty, I also drove a Phoenix close to 9 metres and on full air and air seats it was a bit more bouncy than the Loft but they were different roads.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Martin

Theres a frankia here on MAN chassis Martin, dont know which engine yet as havent caught an opportunity to ask. Nice pic coming later....

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Theres a frankia here on MAN chassis Martin, dont know which engine yet as havent caught an opportunity to ask. Nice pic coming later....

Wonder if that's an older model as I thought the new big Frankias were either 5 tonne Fiat or 5.3 tonne Mercs?

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
So you are over the magic 9.0 metres Peter, I drove a sub 8 metre Loft without front air and it rode a dream but there again the roads around Schlusselfeld/Aschbach are pretty good and the van was empty, I also drove a Phoenix close to 9 metres and on full air and air seats it was a bit more bouncy than the Loft but they were different roads.

Martin
Yes, a 93MB Palace.

It's critical to balance the air seats with your weight otherwise you get thrown around a bit; funny but not for long! Now I have worked it all out and have the seat correctly adjusted, it's perfect. The premium seats were also an essential on my list and if your budget can stretch to it, I recommend you have them. The driver's seat doesn't fully rotate as the handbrake gets in the way which is annoying as hell

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes, a 93MB Palace.

It's critical to balance the air seats with your weight otherwise you get thrown around a bit; funny but not for long! Now I have worked it all out and have the seat correctly adjusted, it's perfect. The premium seats were also an essential on my list and if your budget can stretch to it, I recommend you have them. The driver's seat doesn't fully rotate as the handbrake gets in the way which is annoying as hell
Thats what I mean when I say they don't pay enough attention to detail. The seat should be able to fully rotate!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wonder if that's an older model as I thought the new big Frankias were either 5 tonne Fiat or 5.3 tonne Mercs?

Ive got a new photo but not very good because of the sun and its just left. It's definitely 4 cylinder MAN but apparently is 250 hp ( I thought max was 220) Impressive but a bit big for most places.
P1030086.JPG
P1030087.JPG

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
One for @sallylillian - next MH perhaps Michael? Its a 540hp so 16 litre STXView attachment 282945
A beautiful piece of kit, but as you pointed out earlier just too big. We have the tee shirt for one below with lifting tag, but downsized to the 9.2 Flair, now downsizing again to the Morelo at 9.19!!
Passenger side with trailer.jpg

OP
OP
TheAleMan
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, a 93MB Palace.

Hi Peter - I meant to ask on Saturday..would it fully rotate if the handbrake was down (off)? I didn't actually get a visual on it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Well funnily enough a Palace Liner has just come on here, not sure which chassis but definitely 12 tonne 6 Cylinder with a car garage. Pics to follow guys - its like one big Toy shop!

here is IMO the coolest Extra transport on the site right now
P1030085.JPG

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017

Martin
I was told that the majority of vans have rear air only as the German drivers like that configuration

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Thats what I mean when I say they don't pay enough attention to detail. The seat should be able to fully rotate!

You're not wrong.

Especially as the brochure states "fully rotating driver's seat' when it doesn't, and can never do so as the handbrake is in the way

Now, over to the haters!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back