LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
When we return to the Uk we have to go around the M25 Dartford way.:eek: Now being a country boy and beach bum I don’t know nothing about the costs etc involved. Tunnel or bridge. We will be in motorhome. 9 metre tag axle and 5 ton. Advice please. Don’t say avoid it. (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Shit...I just realised I forgot to pay for my crossing last Wednesday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you register on line and link it to your bank card it’s all done automatically so you don’t need to worry about not paying it on time.

It’s tunnels in one direction and the bridge in the other. No problem with height in the tunnels.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's a pain in the backside. I'm sure if it's something you live near or use frequently the idea is fine but I've been over it once before In my life , the roads and traffic you hit after take your concentration and then if you be other things on your mind like trains or ferries to catch like me you can easily forget.
If it hadn't been for this thread I might not have remembered it at all.
It was Thursday I crossed not Wednesday and as I'm not at home address any mail they send won't be picked up as mum's in hospital and I don't get much mail anyway.

I've emailed them to explain I'd forgot and I'm out the country etc ...I can only wait for their reply.

But I'll be challenging any fine as I think it's unfair.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The easiest way is open an account, we put £10 on it and have only used it twice a year since we opened it, apart from when we came back in the Spanish van, and top it up when there is not enough for a crossing. :D2
And it's cheaper. ;) :LOL: Bob.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Good luck with the challenge. You may get away with it if it’s your first crossing, but if you’ve crossed before in the same vehicle, don’t hold out much hope!
We got a notice of a fine a couple of years ago, even though we had paid. I rang them to query it and was told to ignore it as he could see we had paid.
I then get another notice to pay!
Took a few more phone calls and emails before they stopped pestering me.
Now, we have an account because we cross a few times a year, its cheaper and means we don’t forget to pay.

It’s still cheap though, as toll fees go, it’s about 3 times the price to cross the Pont de Normandie.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
It's also cheaper if you register an account - £2 instead of £2.50.

Alternatively, it's free from 10pm to 6am.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Good luck with the challenge. You may get away with it if it’s your first crossing, but if you’ve crossed before in the same vehicle, don’t hold out much hope!
We got a notice of a fine a couple of years ago, even though we had paid. I rang them to query it and was told to ignore it as he could see we had paid.
I then get another notice to pay!
Took a few more phone calls and emails before they stopped pestering me.
Now, we have an account because we cross a few times a year, its cheaper and means we don’t forget to pay.

It’s still cheap though, as toll fees go, it’s about 3 times the price to cross the Pont de Normandie.
I've only ever crossed it once before and wasn't in this vehicle , it's very easy to forget once you're past all the signs etc and there's nowhere to stop to pay it while remembering, the first time I stopped after was at the eurotunnel and by then I had all other stuff to think about so it went right out my mind

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It can be prepaid which helps

But although you said don’t say avoid it, unless you are going to Essex I would avoid it, we do

Most of the biggest hold ups tend to be around the crossing point, so we go home via M40 M1 so go clockwise in return and anti clockwise going down (y)

Or cross overnight which is still free

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I always cross overnight if we use Dartford,,not to save a couple of quid but because there is much less traffic,,BUSBY,,

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
But although you said don’t say avoid it, unless you are going to Essex I would avoid it, we do

Haha, we live in Essex and try to avoid it! We use it for the Channel Tunnel and also for Gatwick (if we ever went there). It's worse northbound than southbound but still generally better to avoid southbound if you are joining the M25 anywhere further away than the M11.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
A colleag6has forgotten to pay 4 times now, every time he rungs up and gets away with it, tells them new car and not had time to set up, lucky so and so, we just have an account and put everything on it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When we return to the Uk we have to go around the M25 Dartford way.:eek: Now being a country boy and beach bum I don’t know nothing about the costs etc involved. Tunnel or bridge. We will be in motorhome. 9 metre tag axle and 5 ton. Advice please. Don’t say avoid it. (y)
If you are going to Devon then why would you be using the crossing? far better to go M20, M26 on to M25 clockwise then either M3/A303 or M4/M5 surely.

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
If you are going to Devon then why would you be using the crossing? far better to go M20, M26 on to M25 clockwise then either M3/A303 or M4/M5 surely.

Mickey has heard that the surf is currently better on the east coast :D:D:D:D:D

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977

Not going to Devon straight away. Going to John cross motorhomes and then going up north so that’s the easiest way.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It's a pain in the backside. I'm sure if it's something you live near or use frequently the idea is fine but I've been over it once before In my life , the roads and traffic you hit after take your concentration and then if you be other things on your mind like trains or ferries to catch like me you can easily forget.
If it hadn't been for this thread I might not have remembered it at all.
It was Thursday I crossed not Wednesday and as I'm not at home address any mail they send won't be picked up as mum's in hospital and I don't get much mail anyway.

I've emailed them to explain I'd forgot and I'm out the country etc ...I can only wait for their reply.

But I'll be challenging any fine as I think it's unfair.
How can it be unfair, you cross, you pay, just like everybody else. You said yourself you saw all the signs.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @Mikey RV

I assume it is very unlikely that you will be using the Crossing to warrant having an account.

So your options are as follows before or after you use the crossing:-

Before you use the crossing.

Make an advance payment via https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge. Press Start Now then use first option to make the payment. You get a reference number to cover the crossing. There is no discount on the price.

You could make an advance payment via a Payzone Shop but probably not worth the hassle between Channel and Tunnel

Payment after using the crossing.

1. Telephone: 0300 300 0120 by end of next day
2. Pay at a Payzone Shop by end of next day after you cross. To find the nearest Payzone shop near your destination up North. https://www.payzone.co.uk/consumers/. and put in a Post Code.

Do you know anyone that has an account who could add you to their account to cover your crossing and you can square up when you see them.

That assumes anyone trusts you for £2.00 :cool:

Doug

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
BiL arrived in Gatwick from Oz, picked up hire car and drove "home" to Ipswich. I asked him how he'd paid the toll.

"I just drove through and thought it must be free now!". :rolleyes:

Fortunately he was able to sort it out or there would have been extra charges via the hiring agreement as well as the fine.

PLEASE warn any relatives/friends/neighbours who aren't used to the concept of remote payments. :whistle:

Gordon

PS I opened an account in 2015 and it still has over £3 on it: do not set it for "auto top-up" or it will take another £10 every time it goes below £10. :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
BiL arrived in Gatwick from Oz, picked up hire car and drove "home" to Ipswich. I asked him how he'd paid the toll.

"I just drove through and thought it must be free now!". :rolleyes:

Fortunately he was able to sort it out or there would have been extra charges via the hiring agreement as well as the fine.

PLEASE warn any relatives/friends/neighbours who aren't used to the concept of remote payments. :whistle:

Gordon

PS I opened an account in 2015 and it still has over £3 on it: do not set it for "auto top-up" or it will take another £10 every time it goes below £10. :)

And to look out for the signs, of which there are plenty.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
It's a long time since i used the crossing, assuming you have a account or have pre paid is there different exit you use or do you just drive through any.

Charlie

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
It's a long time since i used the crossing, assuming you have a account or have pre paid is there different exit you use or do you just drive through any.

Charlie

Just drive through.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
All
Don’t be tempted to avoid the dartford crossing by going up the A2. You’ll find yourself in the LEZ (London Emissionss Zone). That’s ok if your vehicle is compliant; a Fine if it’s not!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How can it be unfair, you cross, you pay, just like everybody else. You said yourself you saw all the signs.
for the sake of £2.50 is it worth not paying it up front, he says he has been over it before so cant really say he didnt know about it never mind all the signs.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Your return trip @Mikey RV will be in the Dartford tunnel, where there is the possibility that you, according to the signs, will be a tinsy tiny bit over height, like we were. :gum:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's unfair to be given a maximum of 24 hours to pay it or a £70 penalty is issued.

You seriously telling me you think that's fair?
Forgetting to pay a £6 toll within 24 hours justifies a fine ? .....a fine greater than a speeding fine etc?

That's unfair.

I simply forgot I didn't commit a crime, if it was something I encountered everyday I would be less inclined to forget , there are signs for 5 minutes after you criss it then bugger all but crazy busy roads and barricaded laybys. The first stop I did afyer that was at the channel tunnel.

As others have said it's remarkably easy to forget.
I wasn't trying to avoid paying it ...I FORGOT and as soon as I was reminded ie this morning I emailed them to explain and then I phoned.

I offered to pay it over the phone they said I couldnt do that .....That's unfair

I won't receive the letter as I'm not there and my mother is in hospital.

I won't be back for months by which time they will have no doubt sent several letters that won't be received.

There are no two ways about it it's unfair.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back