Self build (used) purchase a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Now i am.at last in the happy position (following our recent sale) of money in bank looking for the right van - these self builds on ebay have come to.our attention - often newer, less mileage, bigger choice of layout and cheaper .....Talking about the pvcs.
What is the general consensus on these? Apart from difficulty of resale afterwards judging on some low prices...
What kind of safety standards are they likely to have? Can anyone build anything and then sell it withour being accountable ? Any other considerations ?
Advice humbly requested.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
We (briefly) considered doing a self build but discounted it pretty early on.
There is no doubt you can get a bespoke van for a fair bit less than a known manufacturer, kitted out to your exact requirements, but the downside we saw is that it is always going to be much less desirable and difficult to move on, therefore worth considerably less when you come to sell it again.

For some, it makes sense but we didn't think it would work for us financially

We didn't feel comfortable buying someone else's custom / DIY project as it would have been designed with the original converters particular need in mind and that would not necessarily be what we wanted.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks. My thinking is that we might keep this next one for life so resale would not be such an issue .
From.my.initial research there is a huge variety of layout. Found one with us very.much in mind.....
I would need to be reassured re safety standards though....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having seen quite a few self builds i can tell you the standard of work will vary enormously from better than a regular converters offering to a total death trap. My advice would be before you part with any money have the vehicle professionally inspected with a view to safety of installation on gas and electrical systems. Top quality conversions will make more money (think of Ralph and Bevs Boxer conversion). Cheaper conversions are cheaper for a reason and could cost you a fair bit of money to correct stuff like ventillation, fridge installations are frequently poor to dangerous (3way types), has bottle storage, leisure battery and associated wiring is often poorly done with wires of top thin gauge and a lack of correct fusing etc.

D.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I would only consider a purchase from someone I knew.... or perhaps someone who had taken lots of pics and documented every part of the build...

There are conversions and “conversions”... imo..

I would be concerned about - what one couldn’t see...

Edit:. As above... from @dave newell lvs

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
One moto often used by self builders

The self build is never finished
Or I’ll do that later

If your thinking of some only else’s D.I.Y. Project why not do it yourself
:whistle2::whistle2::hi5:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
like what others have said(y)
You will be able to tell 90 % of the quality of the build by what you see
Get seller to get Habitation check done and that should cover the gas installation is up to standard ....if it looks like a shed then it probably is a shed, in the bits you cannot see:D
A good self build will be a lot cheaper to buy but will have been built probably a lot better than manufacturers without a lot of problems...good self builders will have used new fridges,cookers, loos and sinks.
They should have taken photos from start to finish, that will give you a good idea of quality. insulation is very important.
Finding a good self build is the fun part. Trusts your instincts
Terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have a look at funs sister site, this is a free forum run by Jim where I and a load of others are showing our own self builds a lot of tips and information about them.

Deleted User
As already mentioned self builds can vary enormously on quality but there will be a good number of them that have been built by the owner for their own use and will be of much better standard than a mass produced one that has been built to sell on at a profit. A self build will also be built with maintenance in mind making it easier to get to the various items in the van such as the water heater.
If the converter has photos of the work carried out showing the insulation and the progress of the build at different stages then that will be a good way to judge the quality of the conversion. If there aren't any photos available I would be cautious. There is a vast difference in the quality of self builds and some are pretty awful but that is obvious as soon as you look at them.
Buying a self build could mean you getting a much better van at a cheaper price so certainly worth a look.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I don’t think I would be happy with someone else’s self build. We built a kit car many moons ago and we were particular, hubby is an engineer, so we knew it was good...but did anyone else?
I’m not sure I could buy a van, or anything else, and say it would be the last one, I might change my mind, (I am a woman) or circumstances may change!:)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
As others have said - they vary. Massively.

Some will be built far better than pro-converters vans, I'm always being impressed by some builders work and their attention to detail. But some of the vans I see built (especially on some FB groups) terrify me.

To buy one secondhand I'd want to check literally everything. Even better, look out for vans for sale by well known members on places like here. Better again, talk @Terry into building one for you :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks. My thinking is that we might keep this next one for life so resale would not be such an issue .
From.my.initial research there is a huge variety of layout. Found one with us very.much in mind.....
I would need to be reassured re safety standards though....

If your buying the van cheap then you can sell it cheap,,swings and roundabouts,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
As already mentioned self builds can vary enormously on quality but there will be a good number of them that have been built by the owner for their own use and will be of much better standard than a mass produced one that has been built to sell on at a profit. A self build will also be built with maintenance in mind making it easier to get to the various items in the van such as the water heater.
If the converter has photos of the work carried out showing the insulation and the progress of the build at different stages then that will be a good way to judge the quality of the conversion. If there aren't any photos available I would be cautious. There is a vast difference in the quality of self builds and some are pretty awful but that is obvious as soon as you look at them.
Buying a self build could mean you getting a much better van at a cheaper price so certainly worth a look.

There would be many mainline van builders that would not have liked you to see photos of the skimpy insulation they put in their vans years ago and the timber work that you can't see. Friend of mine had a 2003 Compass and the water tank was mounted on a piece of chipboard,,,That piece of wood lasted 3 years,,,,My Autosleeper is not brilliant for insulation and my previous Autosleeper Excelsiour was the coldest van i have ever owned,, BUSBY.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
One moto often used by self builders

The self build is never finished
Or I’ll do that later

If your thinking of some only else’s D.I.Y. Project why not do it yourself
:whistle2::whistle2::hi5:
Sadly i was born with 2 left hands, losing my eye sight and clumsy. Partner has rapidly advancing Parkinson's - otherwise we'd have a crack at it!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Dont want to wait around to have someone else build it.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My first van was a self build, in 1986 I think, would I buy it with the knowledge I have now? No way, but it did me at the time. I peruse the sale sites, not interested in changing, but out of interes. Am gobsmacked at what some folk think is a 'fabulous van' . If you have found one you think will be right for you get it thoroughly checked over and if all is well go for it.
P.S. resale? got twice what I paid for it when mine went, think it was the new brass brakepipes that did it :rolleyes:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I remember from another thread that you intend to take your vehicle when you go skiing. If this is the case then you need to be very careful that the van has adequate insulation.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I remember from another thread that you intend to take your vehicle when you go skiing. If this is the case then you need to be very careful that the van has adequate insulation.
Thank you. Yes absolutely top.priority which is why we may end up with a burstner. The one I'm.interested in hasnt got airblown heating but he says he can install it for me but i feel dubious. I know nothing about van construction but surely heating to be included in basic design ?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Its not just the heating in sub-zero temperatures its where the tanks, etc are. They all need to be very well insulated or in a double floor to stop them freezing.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Its not just the heating in sub-zero temperatures its where the tanks, etc are. They all need to be very well insulated or in a double floor to stop them freezing.
Thanka. He says he made it really well insulated (against the heat for Spain for the winter) and the watertank is inside.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it would be a very brave purchase for someone with little DIY skills depends how brave you feel!!!!. If its a long term purchase think about ongoing costs and depreciation. I think there will be more of the first and less of the second with a self build unless things start to go wrong and you sell it with issues in which case it could be worth very little.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I don't know what size van you are looking for but my previous self-build is for sale, it's the fourth that I have done so there is a bit of experience behind it.

Have a look at and see what you think. The price is negotiable.

Rod

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Depending on what your requirements are , a selfbuild , that you can satisfy yourself , has been well built , (using some of suggestions in previous posts) , can be a fast-track way to getting what you want at a good price , you can always "fettle" it yourselves , or get it modded professionally (within the overall budget :)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are looking for well heated and insulated to withstand up to minus 10.
Fixed bed or one we could leave down with lots of storage underneath.
3rd full size berth
Not too fussed about much else except private loo.
Dont need shower or oven.
Low mileage, reliable engine.
Anyone seen any .that fit the bill?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We are looking for well heated and insulated to withstand up to minus 10.
Fixed bed or one we could leave down with lots of storage underneath.
3rd full size berth
Not too fussed about much else except private loo.
Dont need shower or oven.
Low mileage, reliable engine.
Anyone seen any .that fit the bill?
Budget? Age? Manual or automatic gearbox?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Budget? Age? Manual or automatic gearbox?
Up to £34,000 but pref high 20s
Manual
left or right hand drive ok
Older ok if well maintained and low mileage.
Back double bedroom (either fixed or can fold down) with full size extra 3rd adult berth
Good insulation and heating essential
Wildax Aurora fixed bed would fit the bill (if the insulation is good) but there are none around right.now.
Cheers

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back