Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Cant explain it but here goes.

We have a 30Gb Vodafone data sim, had it in the mifi and been using about 1/2Gb a day. Came in last night and somethings gobbled around 18Gb in just over 24 hours. About every hour somethings use about 950mb. We're on a small CL on our own in the middle of nowhere and the mifi is password protected so I know its not been knicked by someone else. We were both out and i'd left it on.

Now I don't understand this but this is what I'm thinking. When we came in on saturday afternoon the mifi battery was flat so plugged the usb lead into the proper charger and nothing happened, thought oh well perhaps its snuffed it so plugged it into my iPad charger plug and all started to charge. Thought no more of it but when I looked at it last night and noticed it had used all the data it was showing that it was being tethered, as soon as i pulled the usb from the iPad charger it untethered. Now it looks like the greedy charger has eaten my data.

Not really looking for answers but just very strange. Downside is I've got to buy more data as I've only about a Gb left to last 18days and theres no chance.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
What mifi, they use a micro usb, the iPad cable would not fit ? o_O

Sorry, re-read it and you say charger, not cable. I’ll go back to bed. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The charger won't use data. As Ken suggested have you got automatic updates switched on? However, 18Gb is a lot of updates so I would be surprised if that was the whole story. If you log on to the MiFi configuration screen (something like 192.168.0.1 but it varies) you should be able to see who is connected to it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This happens to me regularly. With me it's normally something stupid (me)

I have auto backups of everything to dropbox, google drive and one of our own servers. When I'm away from unlimited internet, If I forget to switch these backup systems off I get problems. Like recently I left a drive attached to my macbook. Automatically the system finds all the photos and backs them up as per my instructions, I saw it happening, it was not a problem, I was taking advantage of the campsites unlimited wifi. Except it was a problem. I had forgotten to turn my internet dongle off and was connected to it and not the site. I only found out I was using my precious 4g data when it ran out :doh:

Deleted User
I had this happen to me once, it was one of the 'clouds' that came embedded in the laptop, I cannot uninstall it and the only way that I found to stop it backing up all my files was to pause it, which is still the situation.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just had similar data loss in Spain, turned out to be our iPhones backing up to iCloud and updates while on standby. Lesson learned and wifi switched off on both.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The charger won't use data. As Ken suggested have you got automatic updates switched on? However, 18Gb is a lot of updates so I would be surprised if that was the whole story. If you log on to the MiFi configuration screen (something like 192.168.0.1 but it varies) you should be able to see who is connected to it.

I did check the mifi and it showed my iPad which i had just turned on and a tethered device, the only thing that was plugged into it was the charger. Ive just checked to make sure the mifi wasn't trying to update and that showed last firmware update as last week sometime.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had this happen to me once, it was one of the 'clouds' that came embedded in the laptop, I cannot uninstall it and the only way that I found to stop it backing up all my files was to pause it, which is still the situation.

I do use iCloud for photos between my iPad,iPhone and mac but only when I activate it, I don't allow it to run all the time.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Might be worth contacting Vodafone and seeing if it's their problem? (they do have a reputation for getting their billing wrong). The Mb's used seem too similar each cycle to not be some sort of backup (if it does turn out to be something of yours grabbing the data).

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It's in cases like this that I'm glad I'm a techno Numpty:unsure:

Deleted User
If your mifi is connected to the ipad by a USB cable then I would seriously suspect some Apple involvement in the data loss, I would not touch itunes or similar with a bargepole.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Might be worth contacting Vodafone and seeing if it's their problem? (they do have a reputation for getting their billing wrong). The Mb's used seem too similar each cycle to not be some sort of backup (if it does turn out to be something of yours grabbing the data).

Had a online chat with someone this morning and asked them if they are able to see where the data was being used. Im pretty sure its something thats happened my end rather than a vodafone issue. Yes the data cycles are very similar each time.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If your mifi is connected to the ipad by a USB cable then I would seriously suspect some Apple involvement in the data loss, I would not touch itunes or similar with a bargepole.

Its not connected to the iPad I just plugged the charger lead from the mifi into the plug that I charge the iPad with so not directly connected and at the time of the data loss the iPad was with me turned of away from the van.

I must admit I can't complain about iTunes or any of the other cloud systems i use and as yet haven't had any problems. Touching wood and not tempting fate I hope lol.

Deleted User
My only connection with Apple is via an ipad a few years ago which started syncing all my music files to itunes, and there are a lot, as soon as I connected it to my laptop, unfortunately a lot of my mp3 files do not have digital signatures so in itunes they appeared as Audio 1.......thousands of them.

The only way of putting files onto the ipod was/is via itunes, it took me a lot of messing to get the music that I wanted onto the ipod, itunes now binned, ipod still in use but can no longer add files.

Apple too controlling.......I blame Apple for your data loss.......makes a change from blaming Maggie:)

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My only connection with Apple is via an ipad a few years ago which started syncing all my music files to itunes, and there are a lot, as soon as I connected it to my laptop, unfortunately a lot of my mp3 files do not have digital signatures so in itunes they appeared as Audio 1.......thousands of them.

The only way of putting files onto the ipod was/is via itunes, it took me a lot of messing to get the music that I wanted onto the ipod, itunes now binned, ipod still in use but can no longer add files.

Apple too controlling.......I blame Apple for your data loss.......makes a change from blaming Maggie:)

I understand what you are saying and I did get caught out when we first had the iPad and mac but learnt the hard way and then changed the settings to stop it happening a gain.

You don't have to use iTunes to add files to your iPod. Think of it as just another storage device, plug it into the laptop, cancel iTunes and find the device in the list of attached devices. you can open it up and just copy the files, across by copy/paste or drag them to the location you want on the iPod

I do use iTunes but haven't used it for copying files to the iPod for a long time.

Shawn

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have all updates on manual on our tablets, phones, etc. we never leave the MiFi on and tablets, phones are never left on WjFi/Data either, all our 'background refresh' is off and likewise for notifications.
It seems odd as suggested previously contact your provider.

Deleted User
I understand what you are saying and I did get caught out when we first had the iPad and mac but learnt the hard way and then changed the settings to stop it happening a gain.

You don't have to use iTunes to add files to your iPod. Think of it as just another storage device, plug it into the laptop, cancel iTunes and find the device in the list of attached devices. you can open it up and just copy the files, across by copy/paste or drag them to the location you want on the iPod

I do use iTunes but haven't used it for copying files to the iPod for a long time.

Shawn

Thanks I will try that, I seem to remember that when I first attached the ipod to the laptop it automatically logged into itunes but I will give it a go and have my fingers hovering over the keyboard:)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Do you use firestick as mine was connected when it's was on with out me realising it

Deleted User

Shawn

Tried that device shows up in the list but cannot access any of the contents, 32 Gb of them, don't know if different ipods have different settings, mine is an ipod touch.

My laptop thinks it is a camera and the only thing I can access is the initial screen.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we did have something very similar ourselves a few years ago, we have security cameras at home, which can be viewed on ipad, at home we just leave them running somewhere in the background and dont think abut it, but they used 8gb of data in 24 hours in France before we twigged and logged off, we had effectively been streaming four live video links o_O and hadn't even looked at them

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Could be purely coincidental but 800-1000Mb is the file size of around 1 hour of HD video from, eg iPlayer. As @Lenny HB says has somebody hacked your mifi unit and have been downloading \ streaming some tv series??

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
This probably doesn't apply here, but we got caught out because although my wife's ipad was set to not update unless on WiFi, when tethered to my ipad (which had the Three 12GB sim), it couldn't tell it was using phone data - as far as it was concerned, it WAS using WiFi!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This probably doesn't apply here, but we got caught out because although my wife's ipad was set to not update unless on WiFi, when tethered to my ipad (which had the Three 12GB sim), it couldn't tell it was using phone data - as far as it was concerned, it WAS using WiFi!
Did the same with my laptop and a win 10 update took 1.5 gb.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

When I was on a Vodafone contract relating to my business I nearly always found errors in their itemised bills. I wasted a lot of energy disputing those bills.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Tried that device shows up in the list but cannot access any of the contents, 32 Gb of them, don't know if different ipods have different settings, mine is an ipod touch.

My laptop thinks it is a camera and the only thing I can access is the initial screen.

Not sure on that then, ours is the iPod classic and it just comes up with all the files and I add to them or take away if not wanted anymore.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back