International number plates ? (1 Viewer)

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Hello,Just a bit of a rant really ,i drove my camper M/H over to BUlgaria which is 1800 miles as i have a house there,rather than drive back etc i leave it there,of course after the TAX,INSURANCEand MOT runs out (or 6 months) by law you must reregister/export that vehicle into the NEW countries system ??
What i'm getting at is,for long haul journeys or wildcampers or people who live in their vans,this system is a pain in the arse,its because we dont fit into the box that Govt's want us in.
Why cant we have an INTERNATIONAL SYSTEM ,which is easy nowadays as everything is computorized,so that my number plates are logged with my passport also then i can take out insurance/mot if need be in ANY country or definately ANY EU country,as its totally absurd,i have to drive back to origins every year to top up,insurance ,MOT,and tax ?????
So i converted to BG plates,but same applies here,for instance if i decide i want to go to Spain/Morroco etc for a year or more,...well i cant i have to drive all the way back !!
Why cant forums like this ,join forces with other members of other forums similar and petition for special or different rights in terms of motorhomes or travelling EU citizens.
If i'm paying taxes into the EU know,not the UK,then surely i should be able to travel freely for as long as i want without having to return to origin every year?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
im sure many will agree what you are saying but how many EU motorhomers actually spend all year 'abroad' as opposed to those that only visit for a short time.

the numbers must be very low and any petition wouldnt really carry any clout.

it would need to go the european court to be passed and i really cant see that happening.

my opinion and mine alone :thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
It's all about keeping folk in check.
The authorities don't like anyone 'disappearing' off the radar and the UK is possibly the most notorious for this. You have to remember though that since 9/11 etc this country has become a fortress.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The authorities don't like anyone 'disappearing' off the radar and the UK is possibly the most notorious for this. You have to remember though that since 9/11 etc this country has become a fortress.

A Europe wide system would be excellent, but I don't think the absence of one has got anything to do with keeping us in check. Testing procedures, rules and regs of our own country seem to be complicated enough, I imagine ratifying MOts between countries like our own, Greece, Germany & Poland etc would cost a few million over the years it would take. I'm sure there have already been quite a few expenses claimed discussing precisely this in Brussels

Meanwhile I would not have thought that insisting a British registered vehicle has a compulsory MOT check has anything to do with people disappearing, especially as the system was in place decades before 9/11

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Only One way

The Fortress only works on those wanting OUT. those coming in just vanish into the woodwork and re-apear on flights to America with bombs in their undies!!!!!.

pete (cynic)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back