Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Is there a correct way to do this?

Connect the van end first.

Or the supply end first?

My simple thoughts were to connect the van end first because if you connect the supply end first you are walking around with a 'live' cable in your hands.

Lee27

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644GL
Exp
since 2007
we had an oil radiator that we used from an extension lead, on multiple occasions, over a period of several months and it never gave any problems. once i connected it up and turned it on without unraveling the lead, 30 minutes later the supply tripped and i couldn't unravel it, the insulation had melted and stuck together. i knew at the time i should have unraveled it but was lazy, luckily learned the lesson without more serious consequences, but won't make that mistake again.

is it not common sense to connect to the van prior to connecting to a live supply, meaning you're not walking around with a live lead in your hand? it seems like it is to me. at the end of the day; connecting to the van first can only be safer (however likely/unlikely), so why not do it that way. i could understand if it posed some sort of hardship or something, but it seems to me it's just a slight change of practice with no real negative side effect.

the sole purpose of my watering can is to hold water, guess what; walking across the garden the other day and saw a trail of water on the floor from the hole in the bottom of the can.

nothing is infallible, after all an rcd has a test button.

Lee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

BravoTwoZero

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
On a recent trip to Cornwall it surprised me how many people had most of their cable in a neat coil under their vans.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This Thread is longer than my cable! For which I accept some blame. ;)

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Far more urgent is the number of muppets driving around with their status aerial pointing the wrong way :LOL:

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The subject is getting to be a real live wire and is shocking, but I'm sure some bright spark will come along and shed some light on/in the end! ;) however I'm not advising only saying(y)

Upvote 0

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Does anyone else unplug their EHU cable from both the van and hook up point if there is lightning about?

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't you just love the Internet?

Four pages of posts on which end of your hook up cable should be connected first.

No one mentions you should wear rubber gloves, thick soled welly boots and safety goggles as you plug in, just in case.

And don't forget your hard hat too... imagine a conker falling on your head at the critical moment.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
HOWEVER, I would still appreciate an explanation as to why coiling them up produced this result.?
The coiled wire , although insulated , acts exactly the same as the coiled wire on an electric fire. Instead of being exposed & radiating heat in the case of the fire, the coiled wire is heating & melting the insulation.

Does anyone else unplug their EHU cable from both the van and hook up point if there is lightning about?
No, but I always do it to anything indoors now since I lost a computer even though it was through a ups .

Four pages of posts on which end of your hook up cable should be connected first.

No one mentions you should wear rubber gloves, thick soled welly boots and safety goggles as you plug in, just in case.

And don't forget your hard hat too... imagine a conker falling on your head at the critical moment.

I would hope it was a coconut as I would be in sunny climes.Anyway Flt's don't have to worry about plugging in. ( Unless it is a market point:sneaky: )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

No Hi-Viz Jacket JJ?;)

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The coiled wire , although insulated , acts exactly the same as the coiled wire on an electric fire. Instead of being exposed & radiating heat in the case of the fire, the coiled wire is heating & melting the insulation.

I prefer to deal with facts rather than assertions and suppositions. :unsure:

A 2.5kW heater will draw approx 10A from a mains supply. Its resistance is approx 250ohms. It gets hot! Wrapping/coiling the wires helps the resistance to rise [because metals have a positive coefficient of resistivity] and also keeps the device compact [you need a "long, thin" wire to get a high resistance: if it's too thin it melts easily, so length becomes a major factor].

A EHU cable has, if I got my calculations correct, a resistance of 0.02ohms. If it passes 10A, it dissipates 2W. I do not consider that this can be a significant effect in melting a cable, even if "all" of that heat is concentrated in a small volume: please persuade me otherwise.

(I plug into the van first, then the supply and I also disconnect the supply first: it seems sensible. My cable is wound on an open frame and I unwrap as much as I need. (y)) - Gordon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

A 2.5kW heater will draw approx 10A from a mains supply. Its resistance is approx 250ohms. It gets hot! Wrapping/coiling the wires helps the resistance to rise [because metals have a positive coefficient of resistivity] and also keeps the device compact [you need a "long, thin" wire to get a high resistance: if it's too thin it melts easily, so length becomes a major factor].

A EHU cable has, if I got my calculations correct, a resistance of 0.02ohms. If it passes 10A, it dissipates 2W: that is equivalent to one of those dim bulbs that we used in torches, many years ago. I do not consider that this can be a significant effect in melting a cable, even if "all" of that heat is concentrated in a small volume: please persuade me otherwise.

(I plug into the van first, then the supply and I also disconnect the supply first: it seems sensible. My cable is wound on an open frame and I unwrap as much as I need. (y)) - Gordon
You keep going on about this cable, It's your cable Gordon you can do what you want with it, you can even wrap it round the van 3 times before plugging in if it fits(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Whoops...

You are 100% right, I completely forgot the Hi Viz jacket... (y)

Silly me!

You should be suitably suited and booted ;)
sidebar-image_arcflash.1423169198.jpg

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Far safer and easier to uncoil the cable completely than sit there working out ohms and resistance and the like, and you're setting a good example to the bloke in the next van who may not have a degree in electronics.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
When away during the winter, with the cable laid straight out and with a 2kw draw showing on the meter, then I would see no frost for a few inches either side of the cable.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Been through all this, and I'm afraid common sense, says you get your cable out, you are by your van, shove it in, unwrap your cable as you go to the point, shove it in, job done(y):)

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Is there a correct way to do this?

Connect the van end first.

Or the supply end first?

My simple thoughts were to connect the van end first because if you connect the supply end first you are walking around with a 'live' cable in your hands.

Next time @The Old Man , please ask difficult questions. As you can see, simple questions do not get simple answers where as difficult questions get fewer answers as fewer people think they know what the correct answer is!!......If you know what I mean!! :think:

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp

A EHU cable has, if I got my calculations correct, a resistance of 0.02ohms. If it passes 10A, it dissipates 2W. I do not consider that this can be a significant effect in melting a cable, even if "all" of that heat is concentrated in a small volume: please persuade me otherwise.

Try doing it yourself then. Get a vacuum cleaner, like a Henry or LG , that requires the cord to be pulled out first but don't bother. Then use it , it will melt & fuse in no time. Wife has done it on both models. As I stated before I've had workers fail to unwind, then melt the reels. These aren't 'assertions or suppositions ' but statements of fact from someone who has done it & had it done by family members & employee's.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I would always plug in the 'dead' end , van, first & then the supply. It is alright stating that your lead is undamaged but you aren't watching it all the time & when you have laid out undamaged leads & then picked them up live ,only to find someone else has damaged them , & you get a shock it isn't funny.:LOL:

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have never heard of anyone having a problem with reverse polarity or their cable I do untangle it and leave some slack so if I trip on it its less likely to dammage the socket on the motorhome but other than that is it worth worrying what to do the trip there is probably a lot more dangerous!!

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
With regard to the reel wound/unwound question .....

I probably should have paid more attention in my 'A' level Physics lesson that afternoon, but it was the best part of 50 years ago now.

There is the straightforward resistance heating effect that has been referred to already, with the heat being trapped within the reel.

But an alternating current passing through a coil of wire also produces an electromagnetic effect. A coiled mains lead is half of a transformer. And transformers get hot. Does half a transformer get hot, or does it need the other coil to go with it?

I told you I should have paid more attention ....

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
With regard to the reel wound/unwound question .....

I probably should have paid more attention in my 'A' level Physics lesson that afternoon, but it was the best part of 50 years ago now.

There is the straightforward resistance heating effect that has been referred to already, with the heat being trapped within the reel.

But an alternating current passing through a coil of wire also produces an electromagnetic effect. A coiled mains lead is half of a transformer. And transformers get hot. Does half a transformer get hot, or does it need the other coil to go with it?

I told you I should have paid more attention ....

It only gets half-hot....!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back