Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
But Autotrail and the industry now have a "type approved" towbar for the Autotrail FB.

And I have now had one fitted, looks great. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Slight problem with the paperwork that I hope is sorted soon.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry - the photo got lost

af925433-e300-4865-8b76-e08b29994c0a_zps00d073e4.jpg

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Slight problem with the paperwork

Well my happiness is turning into a very deep frustration. :cry::cry::cry:

The slight problem with the paperwork was the complete lack of type approval certification and plating on the towbar.

Twelve weeks down the line and no further nearer to obtaining it.

They told me in October that the tow bar was type approved and when we returned to UK we ordered one for fitting in February.

Repeated phone calls to the maker and you just get the same response.

"Ring me in a few days"

Any advice would be welcome. :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The type approved tow bars are made by Witter and are only available on certain models, ie the non Alko chassised ones, and the one in your photo doesn't look like a Witter one to me.

Check them out on the AutoTrail web site, which contains a link to Witter.
www.auto-trail.co.uk/witter-towbars

Best of luck, as I know how "helpful" Auto-Trail can be.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The type approved tow bars are made by Witter and are only available on certain models, ie the non Alko chassised ones, and the one in your photo doesn't look like a Witter one to me.

Check them out on the AutoTrail web site, which contains a link to Witter.
www.auto-trail.co.uk/witter-towbars

Best of luck, as I know how "helpful" Auto-Trail can be.

Many thanks - yes witter also make a type approved towbar for the Autotrail Tracker but it is a ball type only.

This company made a flat plate version. Only one to do so I think.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Which company is it please ?

Type approved motorhome tow bars are thin on the ground and difficult to find. As far as I was aware, no one in the UK did one apart from Witter, and that is only for specific motorhomes, not motorhomes in general.
I have family that work in the towbar industry and they have told me that they are far to expensive to make and type approve for the volume that are sold. Each make and model of every manufacturer would have to be type approved and it is just not viable.

I would suggest that if it didn't come with the certification and sticker at the time of fitting it is not type approved. Even if you fitted it yourself the appropriate paperwork should have arrived with it.

Sorry to be negative, but I would be very suspicious.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looks like you were conned....and dont hold your breath for a cert of conformity.

A joint project between Auto-Trail Motorhomes and Witter Towbars has introduced[HI] the only[/HI] fully type approved towbar available for most models manufactured since the start of the 2011 season

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
The tow bar in the photo is a PWS type. They are in Poole or Bournemouth area. I had the same fitted on mine from new, fitted at the dealers before collection. Don't know about type approval though. Website states Autotrail approved. http://www.pwsacc.co.uk

Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
looks like you were conned....and dont hold your breath for a cert of conformity.

A joint project between Auto-Trail Motorhomes and Witter Towbars has introduced[HI] the only[/HI] fully type approved towbar available for most models manufactured since the start of the 2011 season

looks like a standard Gull wing bar designed and made buy Dave at PWR :Doh::Doh:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

A joint project between Auto-Trail Motorhomes and Witter Towbars has introduced[HI] the only[/HI] fully type approved towbar available for [HI]most[/HI] [HI]models[/HI] manufactured since the start of the 2011 season

And they are only available on the vans own make chassis, not the ones with Alko chassis.

It is possible to buy a tow bar from Alko that is type approved, but as it needed the rear skirt having a lump cut out and is very expensive as well, I said no thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Just a update on my towbar

The VCA has signed off the type approval document on 30th April 2014 and now hopefully the required plate/sticker for the towbar will not be long in arriving.

Approval number: E11 55R-0110285

::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back