Please ... help me choose .. I'm stuck (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2004
I’m definitely no expert but a couple of things:

- 18k miles for the Arapaho seems exceptionally low mileage. I know people who know about these things say too low a mileage is not a good thing.

- Don’t know how many people you aim to cater for but 6 berth often means only 4 seatbelts . . . which, unless another vehicle is taking the ‘extras’ isn’t much use.

Good luck with your search!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I'm not a saint PaulyP, but I look after what I have to the best of my ability - however if it breaks then c'est la vie as they say in Sweden. Nothing lasts forever. I wouldn't lend it out if I didn't consider breakages. Life happens and as I say, those folks I would lend it to would repair it asap. With things I own I'm pretty laid back.

Please don't think I am being sanctimonious PaulyP, but to me, people are more important than things.

Now! Mess with my little girl that's another matter altogether!! And by 'little girl', I mean my four-legged little girl :giggle:
I don’t mean to say I wouldn’t loan it out to immediate family, ie, son and daughter but no one else in the broader family. And I’m like you with my two four legged companions whom I’m with 24/7

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's

- 18k miles for the Arapaho seems exceptionally low mileage. I know people who know about these things say too low a mileage is not a good thing.

- Don’t know how many people you aim to cater for but 6 berth often means only 4 seatbelts . . . which, unless another vehicle is taking the ‘extras’ isn’t much use.

Thanks 'Sedge' I think with the arapaho something is amiss. I put it down to folk who buy campers but stay overnight somewhere local. I have a reply from Motorhomedepot on the habitation saying it would be up to the purchase to pay for one. I suppose that is like make a query about a car's mechanics - but paying for an MOT before you buy it. If it doesn't have seat belts I could always have them fitted I suppose. Unless my friends want to keep their kids fit by running behind? :giggle:

I've sent a message off querying the low miles so hopefully I'll hear about that and get the reg plate to do a history check. Thanks for your info Sedge - it's always useful to have questions posed, even if we think we know the answer. The Funsters here are a wealth of info. Cheers!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I don’t mean to say I wouldn’t loan it out to immediate family, ie, son and daughter but no one else in the broader family. And I’m like you with my two four legged companions whom I’m with 24/7
I can tell you love your 'kids' by their photo. "four legged friends?' PaulyP, mine is 'my little girl.' When I forget the silly name I call her, and am talking about 'feeding my little girl a raw food diet - she loves raw chicken' I'm faced with confused and suddenly concerned people. After a pause, I remember my stupidity and let them know 'my little girl' is an Airedale ... and she's not even that little. :giggle: We're a family of dog-lovers in a Nation (mostly) of dog-lovers.

BTW My Avatar of me was taken in my teens. I agree, close family and good friends would treat anything I loaned them with respect and would pay all the costs for repair. Perhaps we have family we trust. Besides, I wouldn't advertise the loan to everyone, just those few 'inner-circle' folks.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
you need to go and see a number of motor homes before you spend money spend a day visiting dealers even looking at later models will help you decide what you realy need your biggest fear is damp almost everything else is fixable but damp can kill a motorhome
Mitzimad - I have a reply from 'Sell my Motorhome' and he said: "Hi, the company is in Hortonwood Telford it’s called beesmart leisure and it was completed yesterday. Thanks, John" Does it seem odd that the M'home has been on sale for some weeks but only yesterday it had a fresh Hab-check or am I getting paranoid after so many folks' questions?

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's

Just got the registration Sedge, and it all looks kosher, a Motorhome that has barely been used, and 3 advisories and 2 fails - horn not working and headlamp needing readjusting - perhaps a trip to France and didn't reset. Penny for Your thoughts?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
re fitting seat belts 'after market' - its usually very expensive and far beyond their worth usually.....

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Have a look here , both involved with the Lakia selling on ebay.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can understand you wanting to share your MH with others but that is fraught with risks. If it is damaged even if the party that was using it at the time is willing to pay for the repairs the chances are that they won't realise the costs involved nor the timescale. It's not like getting basic parts for a car, MH stuff is generally expensive and takes a long time to get hold of, that's if you can get parts at all. In the meantime it could prevent it from being used.

If the next person was then unable to take a planned holiday after having paid for say ferry crossings, campsites etc how would you deal with that?

Insurance could be expensive and if a claim is made by one of those named on the policy, even nothing to do with the MH, it could affect the premiums for everyone. I haven't even mentioned maintenance, servicing etc.

There are a lot of issues with letting others use your MH so although your heart is saying that it's the generous thing to do your head should be the 'part' that's winning, and IMV it should be saying "Don't do it!".

Back to your real question of which to get, neither is my answer, get one that suits YOU as perfectly as possible, if you then still want others to be able to use it they could take a small tent and a car to transport others (ie more than the MH legally allows), and use the MH as the main support vehicle.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Have a look here , both involved with the Lakia selling on ebay.
Forgive my stupidity 'rebbyvid' it says "Case number 1 — Creditors voluntary liquidation Commencement of winding up4 January 2023" but also "Next statement date 10 October 2023 due by 24 October 2023" This reads like Greek to me, but is it saying that the company is in liquidation but still selling and the last statement regarding their business will be 10:10:23 ? If so, how will this affect me? Well I did ask for forgiveness for my stupidity :LOL:

Thanks for posting me this rebbyvid, I wouldn't have know otherwise.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I can understand you wanting to share your MH with others but that is fraught with risks. If it is damaged even if the party that was using it at the time is willing to pay for the repairs the chances are that they won't realise the costs involved nor the timescale. It's not like getting basic parts for a car, MH stuff is generally expensive and takes a long time to get hold of, that's if you can get parts at all. In the meantime it could prevent it from being used.

If the next person was then unable to take a planned holiday after having paid for say ferry crossings, campsites etc how would you deal with that?

Insurance could be expensive and if a claim is made by one of those named on the policy, even nothing to do with the MH, it could affect the premiums for everyone. I haven't even mentioned maintenance, servicing etc.

There are a lot of issues with letting others use your MH so although your heart is saying that it's the generous thing to do your head should be the 'part' that's winning, and IMV it should be saying "Don't do it!".

Back to your real question of which to get, neither is my answer, get one that suits YOU as perfectly as possible, if you then still want others to be able to use it they could take a small tent and a car to transport others (ie more than the MH legally allows), and use the MH as the main support vehicle.
Thanks 'Minxy Girl Mel.' No doubt your three little friends/kids helped compile this informative message :).

Perhaps it is because I've only had 'low grade' Motorhomes before that I'm not considering costs. I did have an American Motorhome that did cost the insurance and arm and a leg to repair when I didn't see a bollard on the pavement and the wide-sweep of the rear end (M'Home, not mine) caught it.

A few people have encouraged me not to loan it out and it makes me feel so tight, (and I'm really not a mean person by nature) especially as I've done it before and not bothered about such things ... I'm not a materially minded person - that's not to knock anyone who really cares for their M'homes, it's just my Pollyannerism (if that's a thing)

You are 100% right though. Not only the added insurance (mentioned by Funsters) the 'C1' license thing (mentioned by Funsters) ... boy am I on a learning curve here hah! Now there are parts to consider waiting for and insurance premiums going through the roof - and I'm on limited means.

I confess to having to look up IMV by the way hah! At first I was wondering what does "Invasive Mechanical Ventilation" have to do with my head or heart. I had to re-google Urban dictionary hah! :unsure:

Your suggestion about them using a car is something I began to think best. I don't think folk would take it far, but I could drive, park up and return in their car if it was somewhere like the Lake District, 40 mins from me. I wouldn't want it taking abroad and other people missing a holiday due to repairs isn't something I had thought through, but then again, I'm thinking a couple of loans a year .. max! hah!

I also live on the Coast, and there's lots of over night places they could spend a long weekend with the kids. Perhaps I am thinking one thing and this Camping Community are thinking of another, wider view.

Either ways 'Mel' I appreciate your response and it's given me a lot to consider. Perhaps I will loan it "locally" hah! ;) Many thanks

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I’m with the folk that say the two you are looking at are too big! If the family want to use it your idea of going & setting it up is best. They could then use an awning to sleep any extra folk, & you could either stay or go home! I also love the Hymer B544 in the classifieds & don’t think you would go far wrong with it! September will be here so soon - buy in haste & regret it! Buy for yourself, & then let people come with you, but don’t buy something that would be mainly for others! Just my two penneth!

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
The Arapaho has only done 18k miles since 2002!
The Laika is 43k since 2000.

Either somebody didn't like driving these vehicles OR there is a sad story to be discovered (OR someone has tampered with the odometer). I would be asking questions.

Gordon (2002 Rapido on 90k: and we have barely used it for the last three years :( )
^ this

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I’m with the folk that say the two you are looking at are too big! If the family want to use it your idea of going & setting it up is best. They could then use an awning to sleep any extra folk, & you could either stay or go home! I also love the Hymer B544 in the classifieds & don’t think you would go far wrong with it! September will be here so soon - buy in haste & regret it! Buy for yourself, & then let people come with you, but don’t buy something that would be mainly for others! Just my two penneth!
Stonemags ... please don't let me face the reality that there is just me and the dog on the M'home. I want luxury, space, a lounge, a diner, a swimming pool ... well without a damp test I might already have one - forget swimming pool.

I just set my heart on having both a diner and lounge because I'm greedy.
I don't mind big - as I've said as a Bus Driver I've driven big, but it's another matter on your own and reversing back up tight bend between a Castle and shops with road works ahead ... but no signs before I entered the street ... as has happened to me in Spain (but I had the kids then).

I don't think the Laika is bigger than the Hymer though in fairness to Laika Lovers (I've read enough comments to know not to say anything mildly negative about M'home brands because it can receive a tidal wave of disapproval) and is quite compact internally.

I do like the idea of me sleeping in the m'home and friends/family sleeping in the awning, especially in the winter months, that'll teach them to ask to loan it ... or didn't suggest that? Anyway, I'm telling them that Stonemags said "You have to kip outside in the cold, so take it up with him." 😁

The Hymer is a beaut. Someone has took an age writing out that advert and by the contents they have a lot of pride and love for Heidi (my dogs name, a reminder of an old Hymer I once had and great times in, named Heidi) but Sept is 2 months away, and a whole summer lost ... as well as being quite a bit over budget. It has a great deal of time and money spent on her too.

AND Stonemags, you made choosing between the two I had already set aside look like low options with that Hymer. That's a bad thing by the way.

Buy in haste isn't my thing, besides these motorhomes have been on sale for some time now and then re-advertised as many others have. Is it a slow year for M'Homes? I came to MF because I have spent weeks choosing between these two and can't make up my mind. And no-one who knows me Stonemags, would ever, ever accuse me of hasty hahah! I'm still choosing which outfits to buy from a 1976 clothes magazine :LOL:
I needed professional help, which I've had in bucket loads - not so much on which to choose, but many other things I had barely thought of, so my odd humour aside, it's been a worthwhile exercise.

Oct 12, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2004
Just got the registration Sedge, and it all looks kosher, a Motorhome that has barely been used, and 3 advisories and 2 fails - horn not working and headlamp needing readjusting - perhaps a trip to France and didn't reset. Penny for Your thoughts?
Sounds good . . .
Just another bit on extra seatbelts - you may well already be aware but extra seatbelts side-facing are not generally thought to be safe, especially for children. I’m not sure about legality of these but someone else may be more knowledgeable on that and no doubt also stuff about it via a search on MHFun.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Thanks sedge, I'd only have them fitted to diner seats anyways. I meant to state that the advisories and fails were over the lifetime of the van, it's been maintained well. Cheers

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The +3.5 tonne and "family" using it is the main issue for you I think.

I wouldnt be doing what you are doing but if I were to then I would think about getting a -3.5 tonne which had 4 sleeping places and not worry about the seat belts.
Then I would tell them to take their own car to whereever they are going and use the motorhome as a caravan. Solves the weight issue and they get to travel out in their own vehicle for local trips whilst away.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
The +3.5 tonne and "family" using it is the main issue for you I think.

I wouldnt be doing what you are doing but if I were to then I would think about getting a -3.5 tonne which had 4 sleeping places and not worry about the seat belts.
Then I would tell them to take their own car to whereever they are going and use the motorhome as a caravan. Solves the weight issue and they get to travel out in their own vehicle for local trips whilst away.
Suavecarve - "You wouldn't do what I'm doing" Story of my life haha! I'm full of stories that people stop and look at me askew as if they can't believe what I did, then they laugh at me. :LOL: I think you're right about using the M'home with friends and chums. I've considered what 'Minxie Mel' and others have said and there's a lot of wisdom there.

I can't help myself Suave, if I get something, I think of all the other people that could get a use out of it too. I suppose it's my way of giving myself permission to buy what on my meagre income is considered expensive and justify it.
Although I've still yet to find someone else who will use the Camel I bought on a recent trip to Egypt. 😁

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
if I get something, I think of all the other people that could get a use out of it too.
You could let them use your fridge to fill up beer and wine for you !

That would make me feel better :giggle: (y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Although I've still yet to find someone else who will use the Camel I bought on a recent trip to Egypt. 😁

That's because they have the hump with you, just wait until you tell them you've bought a 3 berth older but brilliantly equipped and modernised Hymer, so they need to buy an awning and come in their own car .... Then you'll see if they love you or just put up with you sometimes ...

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
I looked at that one the other day and agree
I’d have to agree too, looks a lovely van, the time, love, work and attention to detail is unreal - and that’s just the advert! I think the ‘vendor’, who must be an absolutely top bloke, also mentions in the ad that it comes with a full safari tent….

Hmmmm, Imagine if a person like that set about developing a campsite…. :unsure: ;)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I’d have to agree too, looks a lovely van, the time, love, work and attention to detail is unreal - and that’s just the advert! I think the ‘vendor’, who must be an absolutely top bloke, also mentions in the ad that it comes with a full safari tent….

Hmmmm, Imagine if a person like that set about developing a campsite…. :unsure: ;)
Whose van is it ? It looks amazing

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Just worked it out !

Slow on uptake tonight.

And how is the campsite finding going. Haven't seen any updates recently

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
My Concern with all of this is the OP keeps stating he has no issues driving a >3500kg moho because he has a C1
Licence and he has no issues driving such a large/long vehicle because he is an ex bus driver. However as I can appreciate his kindness in wanting to loan (not rent) his van ( for the record something I would NEVER do) to selected few who he is assured all damage will be immediately repaired/ paid for
However does this selected few have his C1 licence and more importantly his ability to actually drive large vehicles..
I do hope for his sake they do and I wish him all the best in his choice of moho.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Just worked it out !

Slow on uptake tonight.

And how is the campsite finding going. Haven't seen any updates recently
There’s plenty of updates. We found a site, offer accepted, exchange has happened so we are now living on the site (in the van) until one of the french banks, who will take their own sweet time, agree to lend some serious wonga to le rosbif and the sale then completes in September.

Thread 'Full time through winter in search of new life'
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/full-time-through-winter-in-search-of-new-life.275773/

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
There’s plenty of updates. We found a site, offer accepted, exchange has happened so we are now living on the site (in the van) until one of the french banks, who will take their own sweet time, agree to lend some serious wonga to le rosbif and the sale then completes in September.
My holiday probably interrupted my reading of it then didn't put 2 and 2 together to carry on reading.

Catch up tonight

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back