Please ... help me choose .. I'm stuck (2 Viewers)

Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
This is my first proper post and I'm needing some help fellow Campers.

I have been looking for months for a M'home that is well looked after and has space for a family to stay in, even though I am 'one man and his dog.' I want to be able to lend it to friends when I am not using it to get maximum use.

It seems I am now having to make a choice between two excellent M'homes but I need HELP,
A: An Autotrail Arapaho, 6 berth, 6 wheels, lovely lounge and separate freezer - which on hot days I will make use of, with AC.

B: Is a Mercedes Laika Kreos (it brags that it is a rare model ...?) 6 berth, 4 wheels and looks very tidy too and also has the split freezer fridge.

Both are on E-bay and both similarly priced (20k). It's a huge purchase for me so I need to spend wisely. I've spent hours of reading up on both manufacturers and the advantages disadvantages of 6 wheels etc.

But now I have read myself into a standstill:giggle: I just cannot chose which one to go for. I could ask friends but I need some advice from 'folks in the know' and not, 'Oh that one looks nice.'::bigsmile:
I've had older M'home's before, so I am not new to it, but new to buying something so expensive. Before I end up writing War and Peace part 2, I'll leave it here.

Which one would the Funsters here buy and why?
Are there any negatives?
(About the M'homes, not me or the post)
Appreciating all help and advice on the models. Thanks in advance.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Hello and welcome. If it is just you and your dog, why do want such a large vehicle?
I agree the choice is overwhelming but I strongly advise physically checking a few out before you buy. The layout is of course the most important thing and when you see the right one for you - you will know.
I would certainly be vary wary of buying anything online without seeing it first.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Lots of scams on eBay too. Tread carefully and I agree about the size issue. I would also be wary of loaning or hiring it out. With such an oldish vehicle things will go wrong from time to time. Do you want the hassle of sorting it out remotely?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Thanks for that speeeedddy response Steve. I'd like a M'home that can accommodate a family because I'd like to lend it out to friends or family. That way I can appease my conscience with what is for me, a large dollop of dosh - and share it as and when. I agree, there is nothing like seeing it in the flesh, but I'm a bit isolated where I live and viewing will always be a trek. I have been fortunate (most of the time) with E-bay. Besides, if it isn't as advertised I will refuse it. Even buying local can be hit and miss.
Thanks again

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you need to go and see a number of motor homes before you spend money spend a day visiting dealers even looking at later models will help you decide what you realy need your biggest fear is damp almost everything else is fixable but damp can kill a motorhome

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Lots of scams on eBay too. Tread carefully and I agree about the size issue. I would also be wary of loaning or hiring it out. With such an oldish vehicle things will go wrong from time to time. Do you want the hassle of sorting it out remotely?
I was going to post about E-bay scams on here and whether funsters when viewing adverts that are obviously false report the dud advert or just ignore them. I report them, although I think it lazy of E-bay to rely on customers to act as Police officers.

When I started looking for fully kitted M'homes (with showers etc as opposed to my VW's) I showed the kids a motorhome that I thought was a good buy, some 20 years ago now. The kids (I fostered) got all excited - only to see the advert withdrawn and a lot of disappointment from the kids. I felt the false advert thing a bit cruel. I don't know if they have a problem with E-bay - but those false ad's are just a foolish waste of time and get some folks hopes up - some are stupidly priced and obvious, some aren't though.

If I loaned it out, I would make sure the extra insurance is covered (something they would have to pay for if there is costs - they're getting the camper for free) and all breakages repaired. Also, I'd have breakdown cover. I understand the hassle of sorting things remotely and that would have to be a chance I'd take.

Besides all of the above, lending it to friends to stay overnight in my street isn't such a big problem. :giggle: Thanks DBK

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think both of the motorhomes mentioned are 3.50+tonne so you and anyone you lend it to would need C1 on your driving license.
Lending your motorhome may feel worthy but is fraught with difficulties. These are large vehicles and easily damaged, repairs can be expensive and could lead to strains on relationships if not handled carefully.
Then there is insurance . . . .

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
you need to go and see a number of motor homes before you spend money spend a day visiting dealers even looking at later models will help you decide what you realy need your biggest fear is damp almost everything else is fixable but damp can kill a motorhome
Thanks mitzmad, I think that's good advice. I've been looking at lots of motorhomes over the years and generally know what appears good or not from ads, I've bought most of my cars that way and so far, it's all good. Unfortunately there are no dealers close to me that I could afford, they're all high end. Damp! Oh boy, that's the one I fear. I bought a damp meter because it bragged it could used on motorhomes, but there's about 3 settings - and it's all for wood. I have no idea which setting to use.

As these M'home are all tidy looking and reporting no damp issues, have been serviced and cared for I should be okay - as long as I take my useless damp meter and pretend I know what I am doing :giggle:

I don's know if I'm allowed to post them, but the ad's are
Autotrail Arapaho 6 Berth Rear Lounge Twin Axle Motorhome For Sale 23k (Motorhome depot)
Mercedes Laika kreos 3003 rare model 6 berth (Smell my motorhome ... Sell my Motorhome - couldn't resist)

I'm really after help on Which One To Choose? ahhhh
Thanks for the advice my friend.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
If you're isolated Gazgandalf it's likely to be near to someone on this forum who'd be willing to at least go see if the motorhome actually exists! As has been already mentioned, eBay has so many fraudulent adverts for motorhomes!!
Stitchup - what a cracking idea, I never thought of asking funsters if they knew or lived near to a motorhome for sale!!
Only this morning I e-mailed someone selling their motorhome that I had seen and thought about buying for sale on Facebook for a 1/4 of the price and from a different location. Why are people so mindless. They must live very unfulfilled lives.
Thanks for the advice buddy :giggle: I knew 'Motorhome Fun' would end up being the fount of all knowledge.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I think both of the motorhomes mentioned are 3.50+tonne so you and anyone you lend it to would need C1 on your driving license.
Lending your motorhome may feel worthy but is fraught with difficulties. These are large vehicles and easily damaged, repairs can be expensive and could lead to strains on relationships if not handled carefully.
Then there is insurance . . . .
True Figaro, and whilst I can drive both, I would have to be buying the smaller one if I was to lend it out. Again - more things I had not considered. Regards breakages, as the old car sticker used to state: "You toucha ma car - I toucha you face" :giggle: I would make it clear that all breaks must be paid for - besides, the folks I have in mind would repair/replace straight away without being asked. That's why I would only lend it to good mates and family.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My first thought is, if not scams, what is the weight , will your friends/family have a C1 licence to enable to drive over 3500, if advertised as 3500 there will be no usable payload
We have a small Laika which we love, if you can't view as has been suggested get someone close to look at it for you.
good luck with the search
p.s. We don't lend ours out, not even to family, it is too precious, we do take them away though.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
A very kind Funster viewed my intended purchase for me as they lived local to the dealer prior to me travelling 400 miles myself, You just need to ask on here giving the location of the van(s) you are interersted in.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I wasn't sure I'd be allowed to, so here goes:
Your friends and family will need a C1 license to drive that.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I don’t think you being remote should stop you going to look at it. You are spending 20k after all. I would not even consider buying a MH without seeing and inspecting it no matter what the seller said be that private or a dealer. Get your damp meter and test things for yourself ie all around the van ! Roof lights windows inside lockers bottom of walls etc
Get your fancy DM and test it in your house on different settings until you’re confident on how to use it — basically anything below a reading of 15 is ok between 15 /25 needs investigation and anything above 25 is definitely damp. Try it on wood that’s dry then wet it and dry it off then wet it again you’ll be amazed at the difference in readings plus it will give you confidence on using it. Don’t buy anything that’s damp unless you’re good at DIY and getting a 20 k van for around 5/8 k 😁😳

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
A very kind Funster viewed my intended purchase for me as they lived local to the dealer prior to me travelling 400 miles myself, You just need to ask on here giving the location of the van(s) you are interersted in.
Thanks 'big tree.' This is a good idea. I'm just not good at asking people for help. I'd rather struggle on my own and yet at the drop of a hat help with (minor) breakdowns etc will pick up hitchhikers and feed and water them. I need to learn to ask. Now you have given me permission I think I'll try. I just need to decide which motorhome to go for.

Can you offer any help from the two I've chosen? Any thoughts on make, model, engines etc. If FUNSTERS had the choice, what would they go for and why?
And if you choose, you do know that you will be responsible for any future problems ... just kidding.
It is my choice alone and I only seek advice.
I'm stuck big tree and I really don't know 'What t' do ff' best." :giggle:

And I reiterate (which is why I make a joke of it) advice is advice, and I am grateful for it, but I will NOT come back at someone and say "You made me choose a lousy Camper." Wow, I must be wearing my 'big boy' pants today.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
My first thought is, if not scams, what is the weight , will your friends/family have a C1 licence to enable to drive over 3500, if advertised as 3500 there will be no usable payload
We have a small Laika which we love, if you can't view as has been suggested get someone close to look at it for you.
good luck with the search
p.s. We don't lend ours out, not even to family, it is too precious, we do take them away though.
Laika does seem a popular choice and folks who buy them tend to stick with them. Is yours a Merc? If so, is it powerful enough to take a family away and not struggle on hills etc. My last motorhome was a belter. It was on an old Ford engine. It would drive and drive all day without a single problem. I drove from Dieppe to South Cumbria in one go - and I suffer back problems, but it just kept on going so I did.
The problem was one of speed. It seems Europeans have an addiction to bumpers. They have to be within inches of the rear bumper or they go through severe withdrawals. And my poor wee Ford was torquey but not speedy and so everyone piled up behind me even when I pulled over to let them pass ... only to see them go the same speed in front of me. On the bridge over Le Havre, I was down to 30mph with a huge lorry inches, and I mean inches behind me. So I need something that will take hills and leave me smiling, not sweating.
I like to take my family away too Sue. They don't like it when I leave them there though.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ire some motorhomes and then view some more..... You need to get a feel for what they offer and what layout you like.

Also. Finances.
Keep 25% of your cash in your pocket as an older Motorhome will need some repairs and maintenance and that way you can get them done and add toys you like (solar, diesel heaters etc...) Without hurting your bank balance.

Never buy one without sitting in it.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Gazgandalf our Laika is 3.500 fiat with comfortmatic gearbox, hills are fine using hill assist. Downsized from a 4tonner as we were due to renew, again our C1s both due within 3 days of each other and a failure for both would have meant a long time and no driver. We now take the motorbike on an easilifter instead of in the garage. There is a good Laika FB page for any other questions you may have. Take a drive away awning for the grandkids, 3 of whom are adult size and weights, it only has 4 seatbelts in total, so John takes his car, we don't venture abroad with them.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
For the size of the MH you are looking at they are at the budget end of the market hence the age. As we all know with our bodies generally age does not come alone ( I have old gititis of the shoulder and knee!). I'd want an inspection of the hab side for damp before purchase you could always if everything sounds good make an offer on that basis. If the seller gets akward they are probably hiding something!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for that speeeedddy response Steve. I'd like a M'home that can accommodate a family because I'd like to lend it out to friends or family. That way I can appease my conscience with what is for me, a large dollop of dosh - and share it as and when. I agree, there is nothing like seeing it in the flesh, but I'm a bit isolated where I live and viewing will always be a trek. I have been fortunate (most of the time) with E-bay. Besides, if it isn't as advertised I will refuse it. Even buying local can be hit and miss.
Thanks again
Absolutely no way I would lend it out, too many friendships ruined when things get broken.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back